Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Just watched it. First thing is the bad news: Shai-Hulud does not appear in this show. Instead there's merely a swarm of highly dangerous alien creatures that consume everything turning entire worlds to desert as they go.

OK, so flying Shai-Hulud does appear in this show. We didn't get any Fremen.

It was quite awesome, and I will start the speculation with four words: "He will knock four times".

Spoiler:
The Master is coming back and will kill the Tenth Doctor.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:25 am UTC

I thought it was an OK episode but not amazing - a C+ episode in my opinion. I liked Lee Evans but found Michelle Ryan's character a bit insufferable for a lot of it.

Some good laugh out loud moments though "It's April", "Pizza Geronimo".

Spoiler:
And though it's not quite as good as a flying DeLorean or steam train, a flying bus is still pretty good
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

I was underwhelmed. There wasn't anything particularly awesome or any moments that were amazingly quotable. Nothing wrong with it, but not something I feel like watching again. I did like how UNIT fit into the story--it seemed like they were pretty much public knowledge, and the police knew to call them. Aliens shouldn't be a government secret thing after the Earth gets stolen. One thing I will compliment them on is that I thought the CG for the swarm-things was pretty good. I think I was just mentally comparing it to this and anything's an improvement.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:There wasn't anything particularly awesome or any moments that were amazingly quotable.

Excuse me? "Finally, guns that work!" ?

I was laughing for a good minute. :lol:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:There wasn't anything particularly awesome or any moments that were amazingly quotable.

Excuse me? "Finally, guns that work!" ?

I was laughing for a good minute. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Actually, yeah. That part was pretty cool. But I don't think it compares to, say,
Spoiler:
GIANT MECHA-CYBERKING RAWWWR

Well. You heard him.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

I thought it was great. Some fabulous bits, I loved Michelle Ryan's character, fairly good concept in general - although I do think that Malcolm was just a little bit irritating (though I loved the Doctor's relationship with him) and felt the other people trapped on the bus could have had more to do with the story - as it was, they were a load of bumbling fools who spent their time making things worse and failed to add anything to the story. Even the psychic was a waste of time, except for that parting message
Spoiler:
with regards to which, I think it's probably the Beast, from the impossible planet episodes - given how he was referred to, and the entire message seems reminiscent of those episodes for some reason. If so, that's a shame, because I think they should bring back a monster from the old series - although I don't know the series well enough to suggest which.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't really think it's the Master. The threat she talked about was an "it", not a "he", until the "he will knock four times" bit. My money says they're different entities being referred to. So the "it" will be the Big Bad, and "he" could be anyone.

Well. You heard him.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
Unless it's a big bad that The Doctor will fight with the Master! At the pivotal moment when all seems lost, an unexpected ally knocks four times...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I thought it was great. Some fabulous bits, I loved Michelle Ryan's character, fairly good concept in general - although I do think that Malcolm was just a little bit irritating (though I loved the Doctor's relationship with him) and felt the other people trapped on the bus could have had more to do with the story - as it was, they were a load of bumbling fools who spent their time making things worse and failed to add anything to the story. Even the psychic was a waste of time, except for that parting message

I thought the other passengers weren't used enough and it was a shame to see them sidelined, but at least they weren't as useless as the passengers in Midnight i.e. they didn't all go doo-lally and try to kill the Doctor.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

That was shit.

Why was I supposed to feel happy that annoying pretty "just for fun"-thief escaped the law? The Doctor should have made her be responsible for her actions. And while we're in the same area of character un-likeness; "See those two innocent blokes over there? I recommend you recruit them and put guns in their hands at the earliest possible convenience. "
Why did the alien insectoids have to die? They were like, the best-treated alien creatures ever in Dr Who; not too human, not too alien, not stupid, not speaking English, competent- until they decided that dying was a good course of action.
I cannot wait for RTD to get the fuck away from this show, maybe we'll see less human-wanking and doctor-worshipping then. Seriously, that whole "You ordinary people are the most important thing in the world"-shtick was really touching and moving when the 9th Doctor did it back in season one, but it doesn't retain that sense of poignancy if they re-use it time and time again.
The actual plot wasn't so bad, although those creatures (which did look good, I have to agree with whoever said that) didn't seem to be moving awfully fast, or at least no "Wormhole-generating" fast. :P
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:That was shit.

Why was I supposed to feel happy that annoying pretty "just for fun"-thief escaped the law? The Doctor should have made her be responsible for her actions. And while we're in the same area of character un-likeness; "See those two innocent blokes over there? I recommend you recruit them and put guns in their hands at the earliest possible convenience. "

I'd partially agree with the first point, though sometimes it's fun to see the thief get away. Alas Lady Christina was no Lupin III, so not so much in this case. The second point though, he wasn't suggesting they become soldiers, he's trying to get them jobs within UNIT (like as a mechanic) is all. There's no sticking guns in their hands.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

I thought it was decent but is not going to be one of my all-time favorites.
I liked both aliens in this episode.
I kind of wonder is Christina will be able to attach the levitating thing to other vehicles.
I like Michelle Ryan. (From Jekyll mostly. I've only seen her in that, Cashback, and Bionic Woman which was not at all good except the one ep where she had a british accent.) Anyways I was pretty happy with her. I have morals but they aren't necessarily dictated by law so I didn't really care that she got away. Although she seemed to let her accomplice get arrested which put me off because I believe in team unity.

@MothSup. I'm just wondering if you hated Hustle. (if you ever watched it.)
Also, the creatures might have been slowed down after they went through the wormhole and started getting shot at. Unless you were saying they were slow before they entered it.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote: I have morals but they aren't necessarily dictated by law so I didn't really care that she got away. Although she seemed to let her accomplice get arrested which put me off because I believe in team unity.

I'm not strictly guided by the law either, but "stealing things just for fun"- that's just... well, stealing just for fun. Which is kind of ass-hattery, and her helping get the magical hover-clamps did in no way make me like her enough to forget about that. And before you go there- I think it's safe to say that The Doctor has repented for his own little thievery all those centuries ago. Besides, what he did was basically stealing a VW beetle from a car museum.

@MothSup. I'm just wondering if you hated Hustle. (if you ever watched it.)
Also, the creatures might have been slowed down after they went through the wormhole and started getting shot at. Unless you were saying they were slow before they entered it.

I have not, what is it?
And I meant before they entered it.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Its just a show about con artists. I really like it but I know some people hate it because it tries to make you root for people who steal for a living.
anyways your post just made me think of that for whatever reason.

Generally I don't like people when they are stealing from innocent individuals. When its some big faceless thing I don't really care. I maintain that I didn't care for christina for not being upset when her partner got arrested.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:flying Shai-Hulud

This is the best description of those things I think I will ever hear.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:The actual plot wasn't so bad, although those creatures (which did look good, I have to agree with whoever said that) didn't seem to be moving awfully fast, or at least no "Wormhole-generating" fast. :P

Presumably it's a side effect of their moving at all... Because a wormhole is not a black hole.

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

Presuably, moving in the magnetic field of the planet.
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon May 25, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

How do I find the correct Dr. Who to download?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon May 25, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:How do I find the correct Dr. Who to download?

Well, urr... which Dr Who is the correct one?
- Hesiod, Theogony

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
sugarhyped wrote: I have morals but they aren't necessarily dictated by law so I didn't really care that she got away. Although she seemed to let her accomplice get arrested which put me off because I believe in team unity.

I'm not strictly guided by the law either, but "stealing things just for fun"- that's just... well, stealing just for fun. Which is kind of ass-hattery, and her helping get the magical hover-clamps did in no way make me like her enough to forget about that. And before you go there- I think it's safe to say that The Doctor has repented for his own little thievery all those centuries ago. Besides, what he did was basically stealing a VW beetle from a scrap yard.

At least, as far as i recall.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed May 27, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

I'm not strictly guided by the law either, but "stealing things just for fun"- that's just... well, stealing just for fun. Which is kind of ass-hattery, and her helping get the magical hover-clamps did in no way make me like her enough to forget about that. And before you go there- I think it's safe to say that The Doctor has repented for his own little thievery all those centuries ago. Besides, what he did was basically stealing a VW beetle from a scrap yard.

At least, as far as i recall.

Really? I seem to recall reading somewhere he stole it from a Museum. Could be wrong though, I know his TARDIS was obsolete by Timelord standards.
- Hesiod, Theogony

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri May 29, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

The new Doctor's assistant is revealed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8073734.stm

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 am UTC

In light of this recent development, I've decided to start watching Dr Who again.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun May 31, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

The Dutch Sci-fi channel is airing all of season 3 in a marathon today. I've been watching on and off, I forgot how awesome '42' and 'Blink' were. Currently waiting for Last of the Time Lords to start.

Also, the new companion looks good :) I wouldn't have minded Lady Christina de Souza becoming a companion though.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun May 31, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I'd very much prefer (and have suspicions about) her becoming a recurring ally/ possibly an eventual villain. She's definitely not companion material. But to have her keep cropping up in various locations? Cool as.

theoldbean

Postby theoldbean » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

I like that idea bigglesworth. Perhaps even an anti-hero? I for one would love to see either her or some sort of Iris Wildthyme-esque character appear.

Oh and user update - I'm one of those "I love both old and new" type fans, brought up in the "video" generation.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:54 am UTC

How much of a mind-fuck would it be if she turned out to be The Master?

Remember, it was a woman's hand who picked up The Master's ring at his funeral pyre. And we already know she likes to steal stuff. :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:13 am UTC

Just so y'all know, don't look at the cast lists for the new episodes on IMDb if you're anti-spoiler. Very interesting...

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Damnit why'd you have to say that? It's so damn tempting to look...
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:42 am UTC

steewi wrote:Just so y'all know, don't look at the cast lists for the new episodes on IMDb if you're anti-spoiler. Very interesting...

Just looked it up: FUCK YEAH. Though they are really packing it in there with all those named characters.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Of Negligible Mass

Postby Of Negligible Mass » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

Good god, they really are going for it with that one aren't they...
Don't like it?

... Neither did I

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

So hang on, am I reading that right
Spoiler:
and they're bringing back the entire New Doctor cast again?

Or did they just get the end dates wrong on everyone?
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

I may have been reading the wrong page, but...
Spoiler:
John Simm as the Master? Donna and her family?

Well. You heard him.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:So hang on, am I reading that right
Spoiler:
and they're bringing back the entire New Doctor cast again?

Or did they just get the end dates wrong on everyone?

Spoiler:
There have been spoiler images online taken from when the episodes were filmed and it showed all the returning cast-members. This is actually making me glad that Davis is moving on. He is out of ideas.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I may have been reading the wrong page, but...
Spoiler:
John Simm as the Master? Donna and her family?

Spoiler:
And a couple of other even more spoilery people in the new year's episode. It makes me want to know how they're planning on doing it. I suspect Bernard Cribbins will be the main companion-type person for these episodes, so Donna will only come into it in an "isn't it sad that she doesn't know" role.

Why do I find spoilers fun? I shouldn't.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 am UTC

I figure that both A) Davies has really run out of idea, and B) they want all the characters around for the regeneration. Remember, they brought everyone together in "Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End" because they teased a regeneration, and bringing all the characters of that Doctor's series together at once is a sort of tradition for regenerations.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:36 am UTC

But he just repaired the universe again for what, the third time?
Spoiler:
And now they're going to break it again. I don't get it.
Sexothermic

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Remember, they brought everyone together in "Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End" because they teased a regeneration, and bringing all the characters of that Doctor's series together at once is a sort of tradition for regenerations.

That doesn't really seem like much of a tradition. More often than not, the Doctor is merely accompanied by his current companions when he regenerates. The Fifth Doctor had a vision of all of his companions and since the Fifth Doctor seems to be the basis of David Tennant's Doctor, I can understand if that method was used to show all of the Tenth Doctor's companions.
Spoiler:
Actually having a story involving all of the companions, as this seems to be, is a step too far. Especially since we just had an episode involving all of the Tenth Doctor's companions last year.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
I like the idea of a flashback sequence. It actually makes sense, too.
Sexothermic

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:24 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:I figure that both A) Davies has really run out of ideas
That hadn't already been made apparent...?

(Agh, I'm sorry, I tried to stay away, but... either one of the Tinkerbell-Jesus scenes... much less the fact that there were more than one... He's been writing the Doctor like a walking Fall Out Boy song since Series 2, but I suppose that technically still counts as an idea. Just a sodding bad one.)

(And it amuses the hell out of me that so many people on youtube, including apparently the people from Doctor Who Confidential itself, have set tribute videos to "Thanks for the Memories", without either noticing or caring that the next line is "even though they weren't so great". Christ, maybe you get the Doctor you deserve.)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”