Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:Has anyone else watched the Doctor Who Confidential for this episode? In it, Moffat says
Spoiler:
not only that The Doctor CAN die, really die, but that the pregnancy is key. He also says that in this series we'll definitely find out who River Song is, and what the Silent are up to.


Spoiler:
So is this meant to imply that the Silence will be the season-long villains?

That is strange, I guess.

And yeah, given what happened in the first seven minutes of the season opener, I'd say that Moffat is right on the mark. Even if it ends up being undone later on, the Doctor's death by Astronaut Attack really drives home the point that he isn't immortal.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Things Moffat has made us scared of:

1) Gas masks

2) Darkness

3) Statues

4) Everything we're not looking directly at right this moment.

Well damn.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7569
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby phlip » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33 am UTC

Also: ticking clocks in an empty room.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Link » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:30 am UTC

Also, cracks in walls.
Spoiler:
And people in spacesuits.

ArgonV wrote:I've got a problem next week. I really want to watch the conclusion of this, but it's also Queen's Day, so I'll be out celebrating with friends...

Obviously, the ideal solution is to convince your friends to stay in and watch Doctor Who with you rather than going out. Alternatively, VCR/DVD recorder/HDD recorder. Alternatively alternatively, get it from/watch it on Ze Intertubes the next day.

User avatar
Gellert1984
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Gellert1984 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:1) Gas masks


Are you my mommy?

Nearly wet myself in the sontaran episodes where the UNIT CO straps on a gasmask...

Edit:- also since I'm posting; does anyone know what happened to the doctors granddaughter from the way back when TV was black and white episodes?
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby ArgonV » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 am UTC

Hmm, I just realised that
Spoiler:
there indeed has to be a Silent inside the TARDIS. Remember, they're everywhere, so they'd know everything about everyone. So the Silent would know the woman's name is Joy. However, how could they know Amy's name in 1969, when she wasn't even born yet, unless they've got a spy in the TARDIS?

User avatar
Von Haus
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Probably somewhere he shouldn't be...

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Von Haus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Hmm, I just realised that
Spoiler:
there indeed has to be a Silent inside the TARDIS. Remember, they're everywhere, so they'd know everything about everyone. So the Silent would know the woman's name is Joy. However, how could they know Amy's name in 1969, when she wasn't even born yet, unless they've got a spy in the TARDIS?

Spoiler:
Or they heard it mentioned in the Oval Office... so it's not conclusive but I reckon you're right anyway.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
If they can erase themselves from your mind, it's a fair bet they can also read minds.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
If they can erase themselves from your mind, it's a fair bet they can also read minds.

Spoiler:
Not necessarily - I have read a book set int eh future where you get mutants, and our hero's power is that people can't remember him when they interact with him (though robots/video cameras are fine) as he somehow stops memories from going into long-term storage (but it's on all the time, he can't control it and even his mother forgot about him as a child so he was raised by a robot nanny).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Whelan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 am UTC

Angua wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
If they can erase themselves from your mind, it's a fair bet they can also read minds.

Spoiler:
Not necessarily - I have read a book set int eh future where you get mutants, and our hero's power is that people can't remember him when they interact with him (though robots/video cameras are fine) as he somehow stops memories from going into long-term storage (but it's on all the time, he can't control it and even his mother forgot about him as a child so he was raised by a robot nanny).

Spoiler:
The hippocampus is linked to long-term memory 'encoding'. Without it we can't form new long term episodic memories, but retain all previous ones and skill memory, even with no recall of any practice.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Phill
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:36 pm UTC
Location: Colchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Phill » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

On the memory thing: did anyone else think of the Torchwood episode 'Adam'? Obviously they're kind of opposites and probably only bear a similarity in that they involve memory, but given the number of in-jokes in that episode I did wonder whether a ref would come in somewhere!

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Hmm, I just realised that
Spoiler:
there indeed has to be a Silent inside the TARDIS. Remember, they're everywhere, so they'd know everything about everyone. So the Silent would know the woman's name is Joy. However, how could they know Amy's name in 1969, when she wasn't even born yet, unless they've got a spy in the TARDIS?

Spoiler:
Or they heard it mentioned in the Oval Office... so it's not conclusive but I reckon you're right anyway.



Spoiler:
they never said "Amelia" in the oval office, only Amy

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby ArgonV » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
Von Haus wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Hmm, I just realised that
Spoiler:
there indeed has to be a Silent inside the TARDIS. Remember, they're everywhere, so they'd know everything about everyone. So the Silent would know the woman's name is Joy. However, how could they know Amy's name in 1969, when she wasn't even born yet, unless they've got a spy in the TARDIS?

Spoiler:
Or they heard it mentioned in the Oval Office... so it's not conclusive but I reckon you're right anyway.



Spoiler:
they never said "Amelia" in the oval office, only Amy

Good point

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'm sure that the machine they found is the same as in The Lodger. Now, in that episode, it was said that it was someone trying to build a TARDIS. If that is the case, I wonder if people can't remember them because something went wrong during a test and now they're not entirely of this time and space any more. Or if that's why there's a random space suit appearing (though that doesn't explain why it was making breathy noises like Darth Vader).
As to how they get around the whole Doctor death thing, I'm not convinced he is dead. Supposedly, he got shot, started to regenerate, then got shot again, which killed him for good, because he got shot during his regeneration cycle. The trouble with this idea is that when David Tennant became the 10th Doctor, his first full-length episode was The Christmas Invasion, set immediately after the regeneration. When the Doctor got his hand cut off in this episod, he says something about there still being enough regeneration energy in his body, and grows another hand. This seems to imply that the Doctor is able to heal large amounts of physical damage around the time of regeneration, so I'm not in the least convinced that being shot during regeneration would kill him. If you also consider that a small can of petrol would be completely inadequate to cremate even a human body, much less a Time Lord's, I wouldn't be surprised if he survived the whole thing - and possibly even engineered it, if he needed to fake his death for some reason.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm sure that the machine they found is the same as in The Lodger. Now, in that episode, it was said that it was someone trying to build a TARDIS. If that is the case, I wonder if people can't remember them because something went wrong during a test and now they're not entirely of this time and space any more. Or if that's why there's a random space suit appearing (though that doesn't explain why it was making breathy noises like Darth Vader).


Spoiler:
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
MiB24601
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:Edit:- also since I'm posting; does anyone know what happened to the doctors granddaughter from the way back when TV was black and white episodes?


She was left behind in the 22nd Century in the episode The Dalek Invasion of Earth. She was seen again in the canonical The Five Doctors and the non-canonical Dimensions in Time. The later adventures never say what she has been up to since leaving the TARDIS nor do they indicate what she will be doing once the adventure concludes.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:26 am UTC

Spoiler:
I've noted that the Silence seem to have the ability to control electricity. Considering that the brain sends messages to other parts of the body using 'electrical' signals (unless I'm wrong on that, then feel free to correct me), do you think that this could explain where their ability to make people forget about them comes from?

On an unrelated note, I wonder what role the Tardis from the Lodger will play over the course of the season.

On another unrelated note, Mr. Moffat has a strange and twisted mind to come up with the monsters he does.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
Image
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Vieto » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


I was going to respond to that spoiler, but I can't remember the contents.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Diadem » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Poor guy, he looks so sad....

Also I laughed out loud at that. It's very early here, I hope I didn't wake anybody up.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Link » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
Spoiler:
I've noted that the Silence seem to have the ability to control electricity. Considering that the brain sends messages to other parts of the body using 'electrical' signals (unless I'm wrong on that, then feel free to correct me), do you think that this could explain where their ability to make people forget about them comes from?

On an unrelated note, I wonder what role the Tardis from the Lodger will play over the course of the season.

On another unrelated note, Mr. Moffat has a strange and twisted mind to come up with the monsters he does.

Spoiler:
Re. the brain using electrical signals: although a significant oversimplification, it does boil down to that. See here for more information than you probably want. With sufficiently advanced technology capable of manipulating small voltages remotely with micrometre precision, in a lot of places simultaneously, then I suppose you could indeed control a human being like a puppet (provided, of course, that you know which neurons to zap and when to zap them). Is it possible in real life? Maybe if you stretch the definition of "possible" by a couple of light years. Is it possible in Doctor Who? Not just possible; it'd be one of the least crazy things in the Whoniverse!

Re. Moffat's mind: "strange and twisted" is an understatement. Hell, if he didn't have a creative outlet, he'd probably be sectioned.

User avatar
Von Haus
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Probably somewhere he shouldn't be...

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Von Haus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Well there goes any fear for them I had, now I just want to give them all hugs.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

I really wish they would re-visit The Invisible Enemy. A story with that much disturbing potential in the Tom Baker days, imagine how it would turn out if Moffat got his hands on it. ... weeding out the more cheesy bits, that is.

Contact has been made.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?


No. It's an infectious microscopic organism that controls people's minds.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby ArgonV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Link wrote:
ArgonV wrote:I've got a problem next week. I really want to watch the conclusion of this, but it's also Queen's Day, so I'll be out celebrating with friends...

Obviously, the ideal solution is to convince your friends to stay in and watch Doctor Who with you rather than going out. Alternatively, VCR/DVD recorder/HDD recorder. Alternatively alternatively, get it from/watch it on Ze Intertubes the next day.


Screw my friends! This cute girl asked if she could come over and watch The Impossible Astronaut first and then Day of the Moon when it's broadcast on the BBC :P

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?


No. It's an infectious microscopic organism that controls people's minds.


That is somehow exponentially more terrifying than the thing I thought it was.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?


No. It's an infectious microscopic organism that controls people's minds.


That is somehow exponentially more terrifying than the thing I thought it was.


See? Now imagine it as a Moffat story.

The Tom Baker era set design and special effects kinda detracted from the scary.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?


No. It's an infectious microscopic organism that controls people's minds.


That is somehow exponentially more terrifying than the thing I thought it was.


See? Now imagine it as a Moffat story.

The Tom Baker era set design and special effects kinda detracted from the scary.


A story like that with update visuals could be one of the most terrifying episodes of the show in existence.

As for me, I await this weeks episode with anticipation.

Wait, what?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Whelan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?


No. It's an infectious microscopic organism that controls people's minds.

So it's a Cordyceps? Or more Toxoplasma gondii?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:I apologize for being late to say this, but Giant Speck just won the entire thread with that image.

In any case, I haven't seen much in the way of the old series. I assume that the story 'The Invisible Enemy' is about an enemy who is Invisible, to a degree?


No. It's an infectious microscopic organism that controls people's minds.

So it's a Cordyceps? Or more Toxoplasma gondii?


When it takes control over you, you say "contact has been made". Then you start to grow white scales, and mindlessly further the cause of the organism. The concept is somewhat American red scare '50s sci-fi.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Diadem » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Link wrote:
ArgonV wrote:I've got a problem next week. I really want to watch the conclusion of this, but it's also Queen's Day, so I'll be out celebrating with friends...

Obviously, the ideal solution is to convince your friends to stay in and watch Doctor Who with you rather than going out. Alternatively, VCR/DVD recorder/HDD recorder. Alternatively alternatively, get it from/watch it on Ze Intertubes the next day.

Screw my friends! This cute girl asked if she could come over and watch The Impossible Astronaut first and then Day of the Moon when it's broadcast on the BBC :P

So this girl a) Does not celebrate queens day and b) watches Dr. Who.

She's a keeper mate!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Link wrote:
ArgonV wrote:I've got a problem next week. I really want to watch the conclusion of this, but it's also Queen's Day, so I'll be out celebrating with friends...

Obviously, the ideal solution is to convince your friends to stay in and watch Doctor Who with you rather than going out. Alternatively, VCR/DVD recorder/HDD recorder. Alternatively alternatively, get it from/watch it on Ze Intertubes the next day.

Screw my friends! This cute girl asked if she could come over and watch The Impossible Astronaut first and then Day of the Moon when it's broadcast on the BBC :P

So this girl a) Does not celebrate queens day and b) watches Dr. Who.

She's a keeper mate!


Well, she does celebrate Queen's Day (and more importantly, Queen's Night ;) ) - what's wrong with that by the way, it's just a national holiday - and she doesn't watch Doctor Who yet, but I showed her a small preview (the toilet scene) on Easter and now she wants to see the rest and the conclusion.

She also asked my if I'd ever seen 'a space western by that guy who directed Buffy' :shock:

Anyhow, I also really hope they revisit the thing from Midnight, but I doubt it though.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:She also asked my if I'd ever seen 'a space western by that guy who directed Buffy' :shock:

You marry her. You marry her now.

User avatar
Hope_
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:55 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Hope_ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:She doesn't watch Doctor Who yet, but I showed her a small preview (the toilet scene) on Easter and now she wants to see the rest and the conclusion.

That totally doesn't sound like a way to get closer to you.. :P Well, she clearly has good taste, plus it's looking to be a scary episode which may count in your favour, one of you can protect the other.

Also 2 days! Where has the time gone?
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

That girl is an enigma wrapped in a mystery to me. She either does like me, is stringing me along for some reason or says and does very unfortunate things. But that's for another forum :wink: Anyway, we're probably gonna be lying on my (kingsize)bed while watching, so I can't wrap my arm around her during the scary parts :P (That's just because my bed is right in front of my TV and thus the easiest place to watch it)

But yeah, I know what you mean. I got up today and wondered how it could be Thursday already. And now it's already weekend for me, no classes on Fridays and work's closed Saturday because of Queen's Day. Doctor Who will be on in no time at all!

Also, wondering
Spoiler:
are the Silent supposed to be the guys that blew up the TARDIS last series? And that list of possible Silent-spottings? Most of them are doubtful, but the ones in The Lodger are spot on, Amy looking at something and shouting 'Hey' for no discernible reason, then she continues talking to the Doctor like there's nothing/no one there.

User avatar
sugarhyped
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC
Location: california

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:50 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Also, wondering
Spoiler:
are the Silent supposed to be the guys that blew up the TARDIS last series? And that list of possible Silent-spottings? Most of them are doubtful, but the ones in The Lodger are spot on, Amy looking at something and shouting 'Hey' for no discernible reason, then she continues talking to the Doctor like there's nothing/no one there.


Agreed. Only the sightings
Spoiler:
of the Silent in the lodger make sense to me. Granted I didn't try to check everything. The shadows in the pandorica opens/big bang were odd definitely, but not quite as obvious as the lodger once watched.


As far as River goes
Spoiler:
She says there is a bad day coming up for her that she dreads. When the episode starts had she already been in the stormcage (i.e. already killed someone) or did the doctor unknowningly spoil that for her? It's hard to tell how much of her future she knows.


Also how far back do we think River and the Doctor's relationship goes? At what age, basically do you think she met him?

In the Confidential episode
Spoiler:
They say the Silent will be a season long monster, meaning they will continue all the way in to next fall. (augh!! :cry: ) What are the odds they don't figure out how to circumvent the Doctor's death until the end? He has a lot of time to have adventures.
Amy's pregnancy... That's supposed to be important but I am not going to guess why. 'cause I cant.

As hard it is to guess at Moffat's end-game, I do appreciate that he gives us clues and things we can go back on.
I am not going to spoiler that in the eleventh hour, Rory's badge had the wrong date on it. I just feel like it was zoomed in on way too much to be a mistake. They seem to meticulous over there. I have no idea how it'd fit in now.

EDIT: I am annoyed with Amy.
Spoiler:
Did she tell the Doctor she was pregnant before Rory?
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:51 am UTC

Re: Amy telling the Doctor first
Spoiler:
I don't think she's pregnant. I think that the Silence are making her feel sick, then distracting her and making her tell the Doctor something. They aren't just wiping her memories, they're implanting false ones. Because River felt sick after she saw the Silence, and I doubt she's pregnant.


Re: River
Spoiler:
The bad day coming that she was referring to is something we've already seen: Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. She's saying that when she meets the Doctor and he's never seen her before, she'll die emotionally. Which, of course, has fans bawling like babies, because we also know that she dies for real(ish).

Also, Silence in the Library. That's a bit terrifying.


Major River Theory Alert:
Spoiler:
As to when the Doctor meets River, we have probably two options that I can think of. One, they've only known each other for a few years, and Alex will always play River. I think that one could work, but it would take a lot of suspension of disbelief to believe that they've developed that strong of a relationship only over the course of a few years time.

So my bet is that River meets the Doctor for the first time when she's Companion age (early 20s), in which case they'll have (a) new actress(es) play River as she gets younger. In my head-canon, River will become a companion when we get the next Doctor. So with Eleven, they'll have her constantly getting younger, and always knowing more of him than he knows of her. When Matt leaves and Twelve comes into the show, they'll switch. The Doctor will know more about her, we'll know who she is and who she killed, etc. I almost want her to be Twelve's companion, but I don't know how they'll do that and still have them constantly meeting backwards, so she'll probably never be in more than a few episodes a season. But River's always said that "her" Doctor is older, which makes me think that she's mainly with the next regeneration when she's getting to know/"know" him.

I also want the first time they ever meet to have one or both of them in handcuffs. Just so that that inside-joke carries through their whole relationship. Though, just thinking about the episode where River meets the Doctor makes me sad, because I love the character and I don't want to see her go. She can't leave!


Plural Silence
Spoiler:
I've seen this dealt with a million different ways. Is it one Silent, two Silents? One Silent, two Silence? One Silence, Two Silence? (Red Silent, Blue . . . what was I talking about?)

I personally use One Silence, Two Silence, Billions of Silence, there's one behind you right now. What do y'all use?
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:07 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Re: Amy telling the Doctor first
Spoiler:
I don't think she's pregnant. I think that the Silence are making her feel sick, then distracting her and making her tell the Doctor something. They aren't just wiping her memories, they're implanting false ones. Because River felt sick after she saw the Silence, and I doubt she's pregnant.

Spoiler:
I thought this, too, only I didn't take it as far as speculating that the Silence are implanting false memories. I figured the only thing Amy remembered after encountering the Silence was that she had to tell the Doctor something. The Silence wiped her memory of itself, but didn't wipe the memory involving telling the Doctor something. I think she mentally put the urge to tell the Doctor and the sick feeling together to think she was pregnant.

Or maybe she is pregnant and the child in the spacesuit is Amy's! :shock:

animeHrmIne wrote:Re: River
Spoiler:
Also, Silence in the Library. That's a bit terrifying.

Spoiler:
Oh dear God, why didn't I see that before?

animeHrmIne wrote:Major River Theory Alert:
Spoiler:
As to when the Doctor meets River, we have probably two options that I can think of. One, they've only known each other for a few years, and Alex will always play River. I think that one could work, but it would take a lot of suspension of disbelief to believe that they've developed that strong of a relationship only over the course of a few years time.

So my bet is that River meets the Doctor for the first time when she's Companion age (early 20s), in which case they'll have (a) new actress(es) play River as she gets younger. In my head-canon, River will become a companion when we get the next Doctor. So with Eleven, they'll have her constantly getting younger, and always knowing more of him than he knows of her. When Matt leaves and Twelve comes into the show, they'll switch. The Doctor will know more about her, we'll know who she is and who she killed, etc. I almost want her to be Twelve's companion, but I don't know how they'll do that and still have them constantly meeting backwards, so she'll probably never be in more than a few episodes a season. But River's always said that "her" Doctor is older, which makes me think that she's mainly with the next regeneration when she's getting to know/"know" him.

I also want the first time they ever meet to have one or both of them in handcuffs. Just so that that inside-joke carries through their whole relationship. Though, just thinking about the episode where River meets the Doctor makes me sad, because I love the character and I don't want to see her go. She can't leave!

Spoiler:
I really don't think I'd enjoy seeing anyone else but Alex play River.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Persephonethinx
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Persephonethinx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:20 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm also in the "Amy isn't pregnant" camp. I mean, it's just too coincidental that both she and River encounter the Silents(ce) and then feel sick afterwards.
If she is pregnant however, it's implied that she had known for a while (the 1100 year old Doctor notes that she's put on some weight, so she must be at least somewhat along), so it's possible that Rory already knows.


Spoilers for next episode (released trailers and clips):
Spoiler:
It's implied that the Silents(ce) can influence human behavior, not just erase themselves from memories, so maybe making Amy think she's pregnant factors into their plan somehow.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests