Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Rhaegar

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Rhaegar » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Which leads me to my campaign: Helena Bonham Carter for doctor! :D :D :D

Oddly enough, I approve. But I like Tennant, he just seems to be funnier than the others I think.

quix

Postby quix » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

Rhaegar wrote:
no-genius wrote:Which leads me to my campaign: Helena Bonham Carter for doctor! :D :D :D

Oddly enough, I approve. But I like Tennant, he just seems to be funnier than the others I think.

That would be... odd. :) Is there any precedent for the Doctor switching sexes?

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

As far as I know, only in Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death, which can hardly be considered canon.

panther3751

Postby panther3751 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:19 am UTC

I still love watching old Doctor Who. It's amazing how campy some of the episodes are (and, conversely, how awesome-for-their-time some of them are) but those old seasons bring back some happy memories.

And count me in as another vote for a female Doctor, even though there's no precedent for it. Because then, if they bring Rose back ... :twisted:
"Well done, android. The Enrichment Center once again reminds you that android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." - Portal

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:48 am UTC

quix wrote:
Rhaegar wrote:

No. There's also, you know, female Time Lords.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:18 pm UTC

panther3751 wrote:I still love watching old Doctor Who. It's amazing how campy some of the episodes are (and, conversely, how awesome-for-their-time some of them are) but those old seasons bring back some happy memories.

Like in the first episode with Tom Baker, they actually use an extreme close-up of a toy tank with a real building waaaay in the background. Hilarious but for what it was it didn't look all that bad.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

quix

Postby quix » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

william wrote:No. There's also, you know, female Time Lords.

Actually, no, there's not. The Doctor is the only time lord left in the universe.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

quix wrote:

Actually, no, there's not. The Doctor is the only time lord left in the universe.

OK. I have only seen the new serieses. I probably will never watch the old ones (unless I get them on dvd, or they are repeated). But I at least acknowledge that there have been more than 3 serieses of Dr Who. So, basically, I don't know william to be right, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Shit, he's a total Dr Who geek, I trust him on this (if nothing else).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

quix

Postby quix » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:OK. I have only seen the new serieses. I probably will never watch the old ones (unless I get them on dvd, or they are repeated). But I at least acknowledge that there have been more than 3 serieses of Dr Who. So, basically, I don't know william to be right, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Shit, he's a total Dr Who geek, I trust him on this (if nothing else).

I'm not debating the existance of there ever being a female time lord. I'm talking about there being one in the future of the series. Which given the current state of the race, that's not going to happen. And not that it matters for this conversation, I have watched both the old and new series (in their entirety with the exception of a couple from the second doctor) and consider myself fairly knowledgeable in all things Dr. Who related.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

quix wrote:

Was, then.

And actually, RTD said that finger with the ring or whatever at the end of "Last Of The Time Lords" was one.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

quix

Postby quix » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

william wrote:Was, then.

And actually, RTD said that finger with the ring or whatever at the end of "Last Of The Time Lords" was one.

Hm, it occurred to me that we never knew what happened to the Rani. Seeing as she, like the Doctor and the Master, were one of the few to shun the Time Lord laws and Gallifrey, it would be entirely possible for that to be her. I did some more digging and apparently RTD "jokingly" referred to it as "the hand of the Rani", but by the same token he apparently also said that he wrote the hand picking up the ring just so future production teams would have something to use if they decided to bring The Master back (I, for one, REALLY hope they don't. It really is possible to come up with new nemeses guys, honest). (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rani_%28Doctor_Who%29)

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

quix wrote:I'm not debating the existance of there ever being a female time lord. I'm talking about there being one in the future of the series. Which given the current state of the race, that's not going to happen. And not that it matters for this conversation, I have watched both the old and new series (in their entirety with the exception of a couple from the second doctor) and consider myself fairly knowledgeable in all things Dr. Who related.

But I think you confuse 'time lord' with 'doctor'. And, as the master is probably still around somewhere, these terms are not interchangeable, even in the new series's.

edit: are you from england? But I think its assumed that there are female time lords (or where do the male ones come from?).

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

quix

Postby quix » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
quix wrote:I'm not debating the existance of there ever being a female time lord. I'm talking about there being one in the future of the series. Which given the current state of the race, that's not going to happen. And not that it matters for this conversation, I have watched both the old and new series (in their entirety with the exception of a couple from the second doctor) and consider myself fairly knowledgeable in all things Dr. Who related.

But I think you confuse 'time lord' with 'doctor'. And, as the master is probably still around somewhere, these terms are not interchangeable, even in the new series's.

edit: are you from england? But I think its assumed that there are female time lords (or where do the male ones come from?).

The Master is currently dead (well as dead as The Master gets these days) so I don't count him as being alive, so given our current knowledge (william has said that RTD stated that the hand that picked up The Master's ring was a time lord, but as that isn't an official part of the Doctor Who canon, I'm not counting that) the Doctor is presently the only Time Lord left alive.

Yes, there <b>were</b> female Time Lords. In fact, in Trial of the Time Lords, a female Time Lord was The Inquisitor, who put the Doctor on trial and was also a member of the High Council. Again, I'm not saying there were never any, just that there aren't any anymore since the Time Lords are all reportedly dead.

And no, I'm not from England. :)

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

Actually, don't you have to be a timelord, in order to overcome the percept filter? So doesn't that mean that the little kid in Family of Blood could be a timelord (or at least has some connection to timelords). And no, the master is dead ... but he's died before :P

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

Very much agree. Helena has that wit and crazy charm that the doctor needs.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Doctor Who's awesome - I loved both Ecclestone and Tennant although I think I just prefer the Tenth Doctor because of his utter quirkiness which I think is a little more similar to the old Doctors than Ecclestone was.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 am UTC

Chris Eccleston was a much better doctor than Tennant. I like Tennant better, but Eccleston make time travel actually Serious BusinessTM. If Rose was stupid, he would tell her in a way that made her never do it again. But then everything else was amplified as well. He was mean, but when they won, it was much more significant than when Tennant was the doctor.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

d3-ad

Postby d3-ad » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am UTC

The guy who's making the show says that he's bringing back a new "classic Doctor Who" villain each season. Daleks, then Cybermen, then The Master.

What villain do you think would be next, or would you like to see next?
http://www.d3-ad.com

Spoiler:
Ending

sunami

Postby sunami » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:41 pm UTC

Ahh, great to have a new episode after months of wait again!

I think the part of the Christmas episode that I'll remember for a while is when he's trying to find a "security protocol" that will work. After he said "666" I started shouting at the screen "42!! SAY 42!!!!"
Spoiler:
Security protocol..10! uh, 666. 4, 5 678. Umm, I dunno 42?.. 1!

As an aside from the episode, I decided to make my sig a quote from 1x01, but I need 48 more characters to do the whole thing :(. I like it still though.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

quix

Postby quix » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

sunami wrote:Ahh, great to have a new episode after months of wait again!

I think the part of the Christmas episode that I'll remember for a while is when he's trying to find a "security protocol" that will work. After he said "666" I started shouting at the screen "42!! SAY 42!!!!"
Spoiler:
Security protocol..10! uh, 666. 4, 5 678. Umm, I dunno 42?.. 1!

As an aside from the episode, I decided to make my sig a quote from 1x01, but I need 48 more characters to do the whole thing :(. I like it still though.

This episode surprised me.

Spoiler:
I couldn't believe they killed off that many characters! It was really a shock and unusual for a DW episode. And I really liked the "almost a companion" girl too. I could tell they were trying to make her 'almost Rose, but not quite'. My thought process is that perhaps they did this to drive home the "don't get too close to your companions" mentality.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
God I wish they could stop making the doctor fall in love with his companions and/or vice versa. Really, it's annoying and in the case of some of them, totally unbelievable *cough* Kylie Mi-nougue?*cough* I really didn't care for this year's christmas special, even less than the previous two. The Children in Need-special was great though. And hoorah, Donna and Rose will be returning in season 4! Isn't that the bestest news ever?! (That was me being sar-car-stick)
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Agreed. I preferred it when the companion was the companion, and nto a love interest.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

I've only ever seen one Dr Who TV movie, and I have the theme song mp3... and thats about it.

The thing is, I am hesitant to get into it because there is a VAST amount of material, between the many television series, the movies, the books, the radio plays, that there's almost no way I'd be able to pick it all up. It's daunting.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I've only ever seen one Dr Who TV movie, and I have the theme song mp3... and thats about it.

The thing is, I am hesitant to get into it because there is a VAST amount of material, between the many television series, the movies, the books, the radio plays, that there's almost no way I'd be able to pick it all up. It's daunting.

They new series is pretty stand-alone.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

Really? There's no mention of the other alien races or anything?

quix

Postby quix » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Really? There's no mention of the other alien races or anything?

He means 'standalone' in the sense that you don't need any of the other previous or other incarnations to appreciate it. Anything that had happened that wasn't in the new series is explained in the new series to allow for new viewers.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

I saw a few of the first new episodes, just because Rose was smokin' hawtcakes. It looked sweet, but I could never watch every week. Time constraints... someday, though! The power of DVD compels me!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

By the power of Greyskull DVD!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Too bad the power of DVD costs 90 goddamn dollars...

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

Having just watched the 2005 season of Dr Who again I realized that I will never be able to watch David Tennant without thinking that while he's good, christ I miss Eccleston. He was just so... so... Fantastic!
- Hesiod, Theogony

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

If I hadn't hated the whole nature of the new series. The bad scripts, the shitty guest stars, Eccleston would possibly be my second favourite Doctor, because he is so good at playing him. But the series was just crap.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:If I hadn't hated the whole nature of the new series. The bad scripts, the shitty guest stars, Eccleston would possibly be my second favourite Doctor, because he is so good at playing him. But the series was just crap.

While I generally agree that about 8 out 10 of the new Dr Who episodes have absolutely lousy scripts and/or sometimes just absolutely horrible ideas that should have been axed from the get-go (*cough* Pigpeople *cough* AGAIN *cough*), particularly the 2005 season had some really rather good ones (whilst the second season was almost complete through-and-through total shite). My own favourites are Dalek, The Empty Child and The Doctor dances. And Eccleston was brilliant.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

william wrote:
quix wrote:
Rhaegar wrote:

Well... Not anymore.

If there were She and the Doc' would be a bit busy for adventurin'...
Rebuilding the Race...
If you get my drift...
If you catch my meaning...
If you see were I'm goin'...

...I'm talking about sex.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:...I'm talking about sex.

...I'm not following you.
- Hesiod, Theogony

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:16 am UTC

When you get it,
If you get it...

-Oh...

Good you got it.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

william wrote:
quix wrote:That would be... odd. :) Is there any precedent for the Doctor switching sexes?

Doesn't mean they can't switch sex.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
quix wrote:That would be... odd. :) Is there any precedent for the Doctor switching sexes?

Doesn't mean they can't switch sex.

Jurassic Park Exhausted that plot device

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

That made NO FUCKING SENSE.

Oh hey, I have some Oestrogen-in-a-can. Instant gender reassignment!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:01 am UTC

Yeah, that was the one part that just didn't ring true...

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

They used to air Dr. Who in here (on a channel I pretty much never watch, and that doesn't normally air stuff like that), but they don't seem to do so anymore. They do now air Torchwood which is almost as good tho.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”