Tin Man

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kizyr

Tin Man

Postby Kizyr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:40 am UTC

Did anyone see the first part of this on Sci-Fi?It looks like one of their better miniseries/movies. But, I'm having a hard time objectively judging whether it's good or not.

Mainly, it's looking way too much like Flash Gordon (the new one). And, since I can't stand Flash Gordon, the Oz-Mongo similarities are too distracting.

...did anyone else see it? What'd you think? KF
~Kizyr

trickster721

Re: Tin Man

Postby trickster721 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:17 am UTC

I'm planning to watch it. The SciFi Channel is very hit or miss, but The Lost Room was astonishing, so I'm not assuming it sucks until I see it.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

I did see it, and thought it looked like a good start, but I'll have to see more before I make a final call on it. That and I was half distracted with WoW so I didn't watch it intensely.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Looking to see it, because Sci-fi Channel + Wizard of Oz = Interesting.

Also Zooey :D

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

Yeah, I watched it pretty much for Zooey and Alan Cumming.
So far, I'm unconvinced... it's pretty, I'll give it that. But Zooey's acting is uncharacteristically blah, and the plotline appears to be far too conspiratorial/political. Elements I did like:
Spoiler:
1. Glinda's island prison. Reminds me of that scene in Titus, where Lavinia's in the swamp, after her torture.
2. Glitch's zipperhead. That's just cool.
3. The "Dark Tower"-esque feel to the Tin Man concept, random creepy crawlies, and epic journey.

Still holding out hope that it'll live up to my feeble expectations.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

McLovin

Postby McLovin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

I saw it last night, and quite frankly I'm impressed. I was afraid it was going to be TERRIBLE, but it turned out to be pretty good.

Spoiler:
Agreed on Glitch's zipperhead =D. But wtf @ flying monkeys coming out of Azkadelia's chest? That just made me go "....wtf"

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

I missed it last night (every time I looked to see if it was on, it'd been on for 45 minutes ><), so I'm downloading it today to catch up and watch tonight. I know, I'm an evil person, but it's free on TV anyway...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:I missed it last night (every time I looked to see if it was on, it'd been on for 45 minutes ><), so I'm downloading it today to catch up and watch tonight. I know, I'm an evil person, but it's free on TV anyway...

Or from what I've seen, free on the Sci-Fi channel site, assuming you don't mind streaming.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

I looked there last night, I couldn't find it. I guess they hadn't upped it by then... but my internet hates streaming. For a piece that long I'd be sitting there buffering it on pause longer than it'd take to download the whole thing, because I use accelerators and open more than one connection at once.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:03 am UTC

Ugh. Half and hour in, this is pretty bad. Like a stretched-out episode of Stargate with the occasional interesting set peice. Might have been better at half the length.

Is somebody using the SciFi Channel to launder money, or what?

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

This movie is amazing. Better than the original, imho. Makes me proud to watch SciFi. As to the Flash Gordon parallels, I detest Flash Gordan, and have never been able to stomach more than ten minutes of it. But, Tinman seems to have enough of an original spin that I didn't associate it with FG at all. Way to go, SciFi channel!
Minerva wrote:There's no such thing as "renewable energy". That's the second law of thermodynamics.

quix

Postby quix » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

I dunno, I've been disappointed thus far. I think the story concept is an amazing one that SciFi managed to poorly execute, probably because of budgetary reasons. I'm watching it because I love the idea and think it's a refreshing change but I still think the acting is suffering, not because of bad acting (because I think by and large, they've got a great cast) but because of poor script-writing and perhaps not enough time spent on filming/rehearsals.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

I watched it because i figured it would remind me of Wicked in a good way. It kinda did. It was a fun watch, but a fairly mediocre story. Still, there were enough neat things in it to make it worth watching.

Also, i watched the whole mini-series without realizing that "The Outer Zone" was abbreviated "Oz." My girlfriend had to point it out to me. How embarassing.

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

The first two parts of Tin Man were great, but after watching the third, I was disappointed. The movie really trailed off at the end, getting extremely cheesy, and utilizing way too many clichés. I weep for it.
Minerva wrote:There's no such thing as "renewable energy". That's the second law of thermodynamics.

quix

Postby quix » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:35 am UTC

Lamest ending EVER!!!

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:37 am UTC

So I don't need to download the other two parts, then. Or finish watching the first one.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”