Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

Beautiful. That's really all I have to say about this movie. It was just beautiful.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

blondezilla27

Re: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Postby blondezilla27 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Apparently no one else can find anything else to say either. :mrgreen:

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list of movies worth seeing in the theater.
fluorine uranium carbon potassium

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

i was going to see it with my girlfriend but someone told us that it was a musical so we saw i am legend instead and had a great time :D

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

Ew, it's a musical?

*crosses it off his list*
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

Am I am the only one getting sick of this? The fact that its gotten rave reviews, a lot of people say its good, and it has a great cast doesn't seem to outweigh the fact that its a musical!?

I mean, who really cares if its a musical? Its a great movie. See it. Stop. being. ignorant.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Ew, it's a musical?

Yeah, 'cause man, I sure do hate music.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

C'mon, nobody likes musicals. Chicago, The Wizard of Oz, and Spamalot (along others) all really suck, and the people who like them [such as myself] are all morons.

Non-sarcastic voice: I really want to see this; it's on my short list. I haven't seen anything so wonderfully, comically dark in ages, and I'm sure I'll relish every minute.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Am I am the only one getting sick of this? The fact that its gotten rave reviews, a lot of people say its good, and it has a great cast doesn't seem to outweigh the fact that its a musical!?

I mean, who really cares if its a musical? Its a great movie. See it. Stop. being. ignorant.

I'm not being ignorant. I'm being cognizant of the fact I don't much care for musicals. :mrgreen:

I'm also not pleased with the fact they are trying to portray it as something it is not. (A psychological-type thriller when it's a musical)

I've been burned by movies in that manner before, and I'm not too thrilled about it almost occuring again.

BossMuro

Postby BossMuro » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:02 am UTC

AbNo wrote:I'm also not pleased with the fact they are trying to portray it as something it is not. (A psychological-type thriller when it's a musical)

He's singing in all the ads I've seen of it. Characters singing for no reason is ususally a pretty good indicator of a musical.

It's somewhere on my list of movies to see, too, but I doubt my friends would be too enthusiastic about it.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:33 am UTC

AbNo wrote:I'm also not pleased with the fact they are trying to portray it as something it is not. (A psychological-type thriller when it's a musical)

Yeah, I'd never expect a movie based off a musical would be a musical.[/sarcasm] I didn't think that the story had anything to do with whether or not it's a musical. Hell, if South Park can do one, I can't see any reason for there to not be a "dark" musical.

Seriously, what's wrong with it being a musical? Just because you haven't liked some musicals doesn't mean you won't like them all.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Keep in mind, I stopped watching TV years ago.

In fact, after I stoped playing my 360, I've only turned on my TV twice in the last 4 months: One to watch an Invader Zim DVD with some friends, and another time to watch Waking Life (after owning if for 4 years).

With that in mind, I can tell you that any and all commercials involving singing have not been viewed by eyes. :mrgreen:

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:
Aleril wrote:Am I am the only one getting sick of this? The fact that its gotten rave reviews, a lot of people say its good, and it has a great cast doesn't seem to outweigh the fact that its a musical!?

I'm not being ignorant. I'm being cognizant of the fact I don't much care for musicals. :mrgreen:

I'm also not pleased with the fact they are trying to portray it as something it is not. (A psychological-type thriller when it's a musical)

I've been burned by movies in that manner before, and I'm not too thrilled about it almost occuring again.

Well, the thing is (and I consider myself an expert on this musical, as I have loved it long before it became "cool" or even "avant garde") it *is* a psychological thriller.

The music is borderline opera (and indeed, several opera companies have produced it) and the only "happy-go-lucky" song involves the mindless fantasy of an obsessive soul. Most things, at least in the original show, are sung-through (very little dialogue, as everything is in song). I can only think of a couple of songs that follow the verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus formula, things are just more complicated. Everything else ranges from delicious black comedy to heart-wrenching ballads of disillusion (with some echoes of Stravinsky, if my ears and the essays of some scholars are to be believed).

Of course, I'm biased :mrgreen:

I'm a little anxious because I'm used to the more obvious madness seen on stage (movies have the "luxury" of being more subtle) and, of course, Sweeney's supposed to be an operatic baritone, and the Beadle and Pirelli are usually an incredibly high fine tenors. But I think it's gonna be awesome and should definitely not be passed up if you're issue is that you just don't like "Jesus Christ Superstar" or "Hairspray."

Of course, if you just don't like musicals, I can't force you. :wink:
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

I've seen neither Jesus Christ Superstar, nor Hairspray.

alice.nell

Postby alice.nell » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:I've seen neither Jesus Christ Superstar, nor Hairspray.

You're not missing ANYTHING.

jebus! sweeny todd is out already?! I must needs see that, damn Denmark and their being months behind in the entertainment world.
oh my god! that man is on fire! quick! someone stab him out!!

I could play sports, but I'd rather build a robot to do that for me.

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

Sweeney Todd is 9 kinds of awesome. Easily one of Tim Burton's two or three best films. Great performances, a great script, a tragic story, a twist I didn't see coming at all... Shot beautifully, at times deliberately stagey, at other times perfectly recreating dirty, claustrophobic London.

The slashings are wonderful--always a tiny bit faster or slower than you think it's going to be.

It is, in short, enormously entertaining, and like a great musical, it works like an album, in that you can watch it over and over again.

Don't be afraid because it's a musical. It's easily the manliest musical ever.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:44 am UTC

I ordinarily don't like musicals, so it takes something really good to get me to actually sit through one. I really liked how this one looked, plus it had Tim Burton directing and a lot of folks in the cast I wanted to see (mostly Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, and Sacha Baron Cohen). So, I gave it a chance.

I just got back from seeing it and was really pleased. I'm glad I didn't know the story beforehand. But overall it's a great film. The singing seemed to be second to the acting, but the actors' vocal talents were still good enough to be enjoyable. KF
~Kizyr

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:I just got back from seeing it and was really pleased. I'm glad I didn't know the story beforehand. But overall it's a great film. The singing seemed to be second to the acting, but the actors' vocal talents were still good enough to be enjoyable. KF

Would you believe that Johnny Depp had no formal vocal training?

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

its a musical about a guy who slits throats honestly how bad do you think it could be?

i saw it on friday and i was mesmerized. just as brilliant as the stage production.

pieaholicx wrote:Would you believe that Johnny Depp had no formal vocal training?

yes :) but he did sing well.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:27 am UTC

I hate musicals in general because they're almost always so goddamn cheery it makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Kickass movie. Even if they do sing. Because it's not annoying cheery drivel that makes my teeth feel like they're rotting out because it's so fucking sugary.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:15 am UTC

I can't really take this movie seriously because every time I think about Sweeny Todd, I think about the movie Jersey Girl where the little girl sings "God That's Good" for her school recital whereas everyone else sings a song from Cats.

"God that's good!" *clunk*

But in all seriousness, I don't really want to see this movie. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

aaron wrote:But in all seriousness, I don't really want to see this movie. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton.

Neither am I, Aaron. I think most of what he does is pretty, empty crap. Most of his movies are concepts (or even just a visual style) in search of a good story.

And yet this film blew me away. The three best, the only ones I can laud and enjoy without any qualifications, are "The Nightmare Before Christmas," "Ed Wood"... and "Sweeney Todd".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:06 am UTC

I forgot the most important thing this movie taught me.

Alan Rickman + White Hair + White Beard = Donald Sutherland

For realz.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Ew, it's a musical?

WTF! Why do people NOT get that it's a musical! WHY are the surprised!?

I felt it had good and bad aspects. Over all I liked it., but I've seen the musical twice and have opinons.

My biggest problems - The begining of the movie didn't really flow, it was kind of rather akward
The worst Pies in London DID NOT WORK. Helena did not put enough in to it, it was like she was just reciting, and her cock roach hitting seemed gaggy and off. Infact, none of her singing really worked, except "there was a barber and his wife"
I felt a certain lack of the social commentary, and the Comedy wasn't as strong either.
The got rid of "more pies!...GOD THAT'S GOOD!" the creepy, atonal choral bits that were so super fun.
There was a bit too much empty space and lack of action, or lack of emotion to make up for that lack of action at places.
I feel like in the play they summed up that girl got with boy and it was ok for the a little better, but that's minor.
The lack of the metaphor about the song birds being blinded so they sing day and night.
The Stage Blood

My favorite things - They kept the songs intact and orchestrally did them the way they were written!!!
Johnny Depp being hot and skinny didn't ruin it!
Seeing the parts of the kid, Toby played by a kid. AND he was AMAZING!
The Blonde boy who resuces Johanna, being really attractive and also seeiming acceptibly waifish and the darkness in "I'll Steal You, Johanna. (he's usually played by a total Fred from Scooby Doo Cad)
Alan Rickman. (SURPRISE!)
The Stage Blood

pieaholicx wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I just got back from seeing it and was really pleased. I'm glad I didn't know the story beforehand. But overall it's a great film. The singing seemed to be second to the acting, but the actors' vocal talents were still good enough to be enjoyable. KF

Would you believe that Johnny Depp had no formal vocal training?
i didn't think his singing was precisely worthy of anything. It was acceptable, but it's apparent he's not a singer. He could have gotten bigger sound if someone had just told him how to breathe properly. But it works because the character is so stiff an calculated and internal and whispering, PLUS it's a movie, so you can fuck with all that quite a lot, and the character doesn't have a great deal of melodic singing to do.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

Musicals. Are. Coming. Back!

WHOO FUCKING HOOO!!!!

Seriously though, it's true. Singing is not taboo anymore. No idea why it ever was but the era of the blockbuster musical doesn't seem forever closed anymore. Hairspray, Sweeney Todd, Enchanted (practically a musical as well), and more to come! That's all just 2007 too. If you go back a few more years there's a steady build up. By 2010, we might see as many as six big budget MUSICALS in different shapes and sizes.

So, AbNo, get used to it. Good taste has finally started to win out again.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

a386

Postby a386 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:Would you believe that Johnny Depp had no formal vocal training?

yes.
also, the movie was great. it felt kind of abridged from the perspective of having known the plot already but it's a movie, it wasn't going to be the play exactly. i was afraid it would have a bunch of loops and vines and crooked buildings but burton seems to have done something .. differently. some of the songs were kind of flat but man oh man, "a little priest" was so good. it was my favorite scene in the movie.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:38 am UTC

I really liked it. Of all the characters though I liked all the minor characters the best. The two kids were very good and I also liked Sacha Baron Cohen's character. The blood was a bit rediculous but it was also pretty funny. And did anyone else find it funny how there were like three actors from Harry Potter in it?
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:55 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:I really liked it. Of all the characters though I liked all the minor characters the best. The two kids were very good and I also liked Sacha Baron Cohen's character. The blood was a bit rediculous but it was also pretty funny. And did anyone else find it funny how there were like three actors from Harry Potter in it?

Three darker characters might I add.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:55 am UTC

I just wish to note that this is the only musical I've heard whose songs aren't total crap. Something like this being a musical seemed a bit off, but being a bit off worked for something like this.

(Then again, I might be biased about that musicals statement because the only other songs from musicals I've heard are from fucking Rent and Avenue fucking Q, both of which make me want to slit somebody's throat)
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:22 am UTC

mosc wrote:So, AbNo, get used to it. Good taste has finally started to win out again.

No. Musicals are in no way better than horror flicks or romance dramas or high or low comedies.

They're just a form. Like everything, 95% of them are crap.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:30 am UTC

I haven't seen the movie, but my conception of Sweeney was set by the George Hearn version, and I don't think that Depp can sing that well (at least not from the one trailer I saw, which had about 1 second of singing).

Still, the musical is amazing, Sondheim is a genius, and even if this movie is only half as good as it could be, it'll still be amazing.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

william wrote:I just wish to note that this is the only musical I've heard whose songs aren't total crap. Something like this being a musical seemed a bit off, but being a bit off worked for something like this.

(Then again, I might be biased about that musicals statement because the only other songs from musicals I've heard are from fucking Rent and Avenue fucking Q, both of which make me want to slit somebody's throat)

Well, I really liked the music from Les Miserables. The story was... decent enough. But the music was really great. KF
~Kizyr

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Okay...finally saw the movie last night. Loved it so hard long time. It probably makes me a bad person that my buddy next to me (whom I saw the movie with) covered his eyes for a lot of the throat-cuttings, while I just grinned the whole time (and conducted along with the 6/8 music).

Did anybody else notice that the majority of the songs were in 6/8? Whoever wrote it really likes triplet-style phrases.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
and it's filled with people who are filled with shit
and the vermin of the world inhabit it."
is the only real musical lines I can actually remember. And that's just because 1) Sweeney Todd said it a lot and 2)the second line was cut in the commercial.

And I think I looked away once during the throat-slitting scenes, with the first one with Pirelli.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

scowdich wrote:Did anybody else notice that the majority of the songs were in 6/8? Whoever wrote it really likes triplet-style phrases.

Stephen Sondheim.

And compound time is superior to simple time anyway. Tuplets are the spawn of Satan, I tell you! [/music notation geekery]
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

It's a psychological type thriller that happens to have singing. So your problem is...?
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:

It's a psychological type thriller that happens to have singing. So your problem is...?

Or it's a musical that happens to also be a psychological type thriller. Either way, same thing.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:31 am UTC

Wow, I saw it last night. Wow.

I've never actually seen the film, though my mother is a gigantic stephen sondhiem nerd (and a theatre professor) so I've heard the songs before.

Gripe: I miss the opening narration song :( That's one of my favourites. "Attend the tale of Sweeny Todd / He served a dark and a vengeful god" etc etc.

But damn. SICK film, BEAUTIFUL and god the singing. Even though Johnny isn't very good at it.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:Gripe: I miss the opening narration song :( That's one of my favourites. "Attend the tale of Sweeny Todd / He served a dark and a vengeful god" etc etc.

When I heard about this song, after I'd seen the movie, I was surprised Burton didn't put it in--he loves to frame his movies as stories (see "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Edward Scissorhands" for just a few examples).

But then, after listening to the soundtrack forty-five times, I'm glad he didn't, because it puts the "beware this tale!" emphasis on the "There was a barber and his wife..." theme, which gets sung by everybody. It's nice because the characters themselves are commenting on their own story, and how awful and tragic it was; the past tragedy becomes this legend (even, somehow, keeping that room upstairs from being rented out), whose lessons they either ignore or take too strongly*, leading to their doom.

*depending on what you think that lesson is. Benjamin Barker may have lost his wife through no fault of his own, and his foolishness was that he naively didn't realize those in power would abuse it so readily; or he lost his wife because he didn't pay enough attention to her, so that Todd's obsession is an overreaction. Hard to say, although I lean toward the first one.

(Don't mind me. I've spent days using the soundtrack to comb this movie for meaning. Ironically, I'm a little obsessed.)

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

going to see it Friday yay!!!
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

william wrote:I just wish to note that this is the only musical I've heard whose songs aren't total crap. Something like this being a musical seemed a bit off, but being a bit off worked for something like this.

thats sort of the beauty of Sondheim's work. he writes the music as though all you need to do is hit the note and speak, regardless if you sing well. its almost akin to speaking.

Nyarlathotep wrote:Gripe: I miss the opening narration song :( That's one of my favourites. "Attend the tale of Sweeny Todd / He served a dark and a vengeful god" etc etc.

but those songs which require a chorus dont really work for movies. look at Rent. oh hey the entire rest of the cast just so happens to turn around a corner and join in on a song. ::cheese::
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”