Juno

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Juno

Postby Alisto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:47 am UTC

Saw this on Christmas. Good flick. Great character development (there are really only seven characters in the movie, including supporting roles), good story, unique writing. Ellen Page did a great job. I only have two complaints:

1. It seemed too short. Not in an underdeveloped kind of way. You know how there are movies you watch and think, "Man, a lot of this should have ended up on the cutting room floor." This movie was the opposite. I'd have liked to see another fifteen minutes of the characters.

It looked like there was going to be an awkward romance fit in. But they turned things around and it ended up being really good. Still, the lead-up to what I thought was going to happen was painful and awkward.

And here's one more thing to keep in mind: If you do not like the song "Anybody Else But You" by The Moldy Peaches (MySpace link with song), don't bother going to this movie. The song is played several times along with songs equally indie.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Hollins

Re: Juno

Postby Hollins » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:13 am UTC

Yes, it was a decent movie. The cast was incredible, and it was nice to see Jason Bateman in a mostly serious role. I agree with your sentiment about there not being enough time for all of the characters. I could've used more Michael Cera, he makes every scene both hilarious and real.

kcr

Postby kcr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:18 am UTC

This is one of the most quotable movies I've seen in a while. I liked it a lot. Also interesting, when I went to see it, the theater was pretty full and there were a bunch of teenagers (some stupid idiot right near me kept texting the whole time PUT AWAY YOUR DAMN PHONE) but also some older folk. The male half of this one elderly couple kept cracking up. I guess I like when the olds and the youngins enjoy the same slightly overly quirky humor.

Thirded on the more characters. It would have been nice to see more of Michael Cera, the girlfriend (Leah?), and the parents. Or the little sister, who was so minimally there, I didn't see a point. And what kind of name is Liberty Bell?

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

kcr wrote:Or the little sister, who was so minimally there, I didn't see a point. And what kind of name is Liberty Bell?

What kind of name is Juno? :wink:

Anyway, just saw this movie last night, and it's one of the most amazing movies I've seen in a while. Originally I was kind of wondering whether or not to see it since the previews made it seem like an average comedy, but the actual execution proved it to be an excellent romance comedy drama.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

This is ewasily another one of my favorite movies. Michael Cera was a winner in Superbad, and ever since I saw hard candy, Ellen Page both terrifies me and makes me laugh. Does this film have any correlation to Napoleon Dynamite? The intro art was somewhat similar, I wondered if there were a couple of the same artists from it. Anyway, pie balls.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:08 am UTC

I saw this last night, it was amazing. I haven't really seen a good comedy in awhile, I didn't enjoy the stuff like 40-year-old virgin, knocked up, or superbad. Definititely could of been longer, I think I would of enjoyed more of her school experience, and more of Cera, he was great. Another good one for humorous one-liners like Napolean Dynamite was. "They make his junk smell like pie" was one of my favorites. Recommended for anyone who enjoys the indie music (The Moldy Peaches and alot of Kimya Dawson), the whole movie has that feel to it. On that note, the soundtrack is excellent and now there is an extended version, I believe.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:48 am UTC

It was really, really good.
I could elaborate, but I don't want to right now.

tenohsix

Postby tenohsix » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:05 am UTC

I saw this on Friday, and quite liked it. I really enjoyed the scene with the store clerk at the beginning - "That's one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet." Also, ditto on the soundtrack recommendation.
The funny thing about Michael Cera is that even though he always seems to play the same sort of character, there's just something irresistible about that adorable-earnest-nerdboy charm.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

I went to see this movie a couple days ago, and I really liked it. But one of my friends didn't, and I can understand why. It's not exactly normal, really. But it's completely quotable.

Funny thing is I walked out of the theater thinking, "Damn, I wish my family were like that." Then, two seconds later, I was like, "...nah, that'd be hell."
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 am UTC

I really quite enjoyed this movie. I was invited by others, but I hadn't really heard much about it at the time. I saw that cream of the crop was 100% on Rotten tomatoes.

I was not disappointed. I totally could copy/paste my reply from another forum, but I'd rather not.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 am UTC

I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past few hours. It's available in MP3 format from Amazon's MP3 Downloads section for $8.99.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

I think in some points of the movie I almost exploded from the cute.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:I think in some points of the movie I almost exploded from the cute.

what the hell does that mean!?!

I am probably convinced to see this movie already but WTF??
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
Aleril wrote:I think in some points of the movie I almost exploded from the cute.

what the hell does that mean!?!

I am probably convinced to see this movie already but WTF??

http://imdb.com/gallery/granitz/6446/Ac ... 7406&seq=3

It is hard to get this adorable.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Was one of the best movies I've seen in a while--I saw it with a couple of friends and I really liked it, even though I don't usually like movies like this.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 am UTC

I'd been meaning to go see this movie since it came out, and I finally got the chance at the beginning of the week. It was really sweet and cute, and one I'd really consider buying (I don't really buy movies all that often, so for me that means a lot).

The only downside I saw to the film is the same thing other people have said -- I wish it were longer. Maybe I've just become accustomed to the longer film lengths that seem to be popular nowadays, or maybe it was just that good, I can't tell. A lot of the time I'm watching the time halfway through the movie, but the end of Juno just kinda crept up on me and then *poof* it was over. I was sad. :(

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

This was damn near a perfect movie. I'm planning to buy the DVD (or get someone to gift it to me) when it comes out; and I own a grand total of five movies on DVD. It was hilarious, smart, realistic but just fanciful enough to stay funny... Well-written, well-acted, and it must have been well-directed because I didn't notice anything to bitch about there, although I do allow for the possibility that it was covered up by how great the writing and acting was. I guess if that's the case I'll catch it the second time around.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:06 am UTC

One of the best films I've seen in a long time. I don't know what it was exactly, but it felt very real (though I'm not sure how I feel about them referring to my home town as "East Jesus Nowhere"...)
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

It was okay. I didn't think it was anything special, really.

spi

Postby spi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

I didn't know that Juno was set in Minnesota. Being from there that was a fun surprise when I saw it.

I was actually glad it wasn't longer at the time as I needed to catch a bus back to Boston. However I wouldn't have minded another 15 minutes with the characters.

The ending was well done. Loved the cameo by Rainn Wilson.

This is definite DVD buying material.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

JBraccio

Postby JBraccio » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

I loved this movie!!!! I've seen it twice already and would like to go again. Just to reiterate: loved it!!!

MoD

Postby MoD » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:46 am UTC

This movie just started behind me. :o I'll edit once it finishes with a semicoherent (I'm sick and multitasking) response to it.

EDIT: Finished. I didn't dislike it really, but I wouldn't spend any more time on it than I just did. It didn't seem terrible, no, but it wasn't what I look for in movies. The soundtrack was different; the melodies and notes were alright but good lord, the lyrics! Can you say 'I will juxtapose contrasting emotions to impress upon you the severity of the depression I wish to inflict upon you.'?

Yeah, I can't say I liked it much.
Last edited by MoD on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

odayjuarez

Postby odayjuarez » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:31 am UTC

I watched this film a couple of days ago with a friend of mine, we both loved it! I'm a huge fan of Arrested Development so I'll watch just about anything with Jason Bateman or Michael Cera. It would have been cool to see them together again, but I'm not sure how well that would work into the story. I loved the soundtrack as well! After the film, my friend and I ended up sitting on her couch all night listening to The Moldy Peaches and watching cartoons!
Donald Knuth wrote:Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

MoD wrote:The soundtrack was different; the melodies and notes were alright but good lord, the lyrics! Can you say 'I will juxtapose contrasting emotions to impress upon you the severity of the depression I wish to inflict upon you.'?

Oh god, yes. The soundtrack was my one major complaint about it. "Hi I'm indie so I'm going to have songs with strange nonsensical lyrics!"

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
MoD wrote:The soundtrack was different; the melodies and notes were alright but good lord, the lyrics! Can you say 'I will juxtapose contrasting emotions to impress upon you the severity of the depression I wish to inflict upon you.'?

Oh god, yes. The soundtrack was my one major complaint about it. "Hi I'm indie so I'm going to have songs with strange nonsensical lyrics!"

See, thats a bit unfair. The Moldy Peaches actually make a lot of sense if you step into their own little world.

That said, I really would have liked a little more variation at the end there when they played a bunch of Moldy Peaches all in a row. I like me some Kimya Dawson as much as the next dude, and I get that the song was a motif and whatnot, but that was a little much. And they kept teasing us by talking about other music that they never played. I kept hoping for some Stooges or Sonic Youth or something, anything to provide a little contrast. Over the credits, at least.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Since Ellen Pages character was talking about some pretty hard rock bands, I was looking for that, not Mott The Hoople.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 am UTC

The part where Michael Cera was like "Well, I do try, actually..." had the 6 girls behind me going "Awwww....."

But, REALLY fantastic movie. loved it.

Since Ellen Pages character was talking about some pretty hard rock bands, I was looking for that, not Mott The Hoople.

i read a quote on wikipedia where ellen page suggested that juno would listen to the moldy peaches. but in the entire movie, she was listing off iggy pop and all these other late 70s punk and protopunk bands. especially that scene where she was like:

"man, after listening to the stooges, a lot of stuff just sounds 'cute'."

and yet at the end of the movie she's singing the moldy peaches. whatever.

i still thought it was hilarious and exceptionally well done, and i cannot wait for the dvd. :)

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

aaron wrote:

The part where Michael Cera was like "Well, I do try, actually..." had the 6 girls behind me going "Awwww....."

But, REALLY fantastic movie. loved it.

i read a quote on wikipedia where ellen page suggested that juno would listen to the moldy peaches. but in the entire movie, she was listing off iggy pop and all these other late 70s punk and protopunk bands. especially that scene where she was like:

"man, after listening to the stooges, a lot of stuff just sounds 'cute'."

and yet at the end of the movie she's singing the moldy peaches. whatever.

i still thought it was hilarious and exceptionally well done, and i cannot wait for the dvd. :)

That's where the coming-of-age aspect comes in.

You need to go through a more "hardcore" stage to truly appreciate the feel-good indie vibes, I don't think Moldy Peaches would have nearly the same effect on me if half my friends weren't rabid Metal-heads.

I'd love to try out a Disc of alternating Epic Metal with feel-good indie. I'd start with Dethklok's Coffee jingle.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:
Spoiler:
It looked like there was going to be an awkward romance fit in. But they turned things around and it ended up being really good. Still, the lead-up to what I thought was going to happen was painful and awkward.

Spoiler:
That's how I felt too. Also, I thought Michael Cera's character was going to end up being anorexic, what with the Tic-Tacs and running and telling his mom he wasn't hungry, but they kind of just whooshed by that too. Still, I think that one thing I liked about the movie was that I expected those things, and I expected Juno to be super shunned for being preggers, and I expected her to want to keep the baby... and it wasn't like that at all. It was way better than I expected in the beginning.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 am UTC

aaron wrote:and yet at the end of the movie she's singing the moldy peaches.
Please don't pounce on me if this is too obvious so no one said anything, but did anyone notice how...
Spoiler:
at the end when they're playing the song together they reverse it so Cera sings the girl's part and Page sings guy's. This actually ties in to what occurred to me earlier in the movie: The male and female parts are reversed between the two couples. The adopting woman is all perfectionist, like Cera. And Bateman is a cool rock afficianado, like Juno.

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie. Nothing too outstanding, but good, quality work. Reminded me a lot of Little Miss Sunshine, Eulogy, and other recent indie comedies that have that manic quality (from very funny to very sad, and very quickly).
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 am UTC

no, don't worry, i noticed that too. :)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Saw it last night. I really, really liked it. I was a bit scared by what was mentioned before, that in the middle of it they'd take it to a whole different direction, but it was very well done.

I might go and watch it again, not all of my friends could come to see it.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Of all the songs on the soundtrack, the only one I've heard before the movie came out was "All The Young Dudes" by Mott The Hoople. I had heard it several time on XM, and I have it on my mp3 player.
PRG

An important message for you:

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

I remember my friend coming out of the theater saying "Augh!! SO MUCH INDIE."

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Isn't that a good thing?

I think, when you o to a film like Juno, you have to be prepared for an Indie onslaught.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

wubrgamer

Postby wubrgamer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

So, I was into teen pregnancy before this movie came out...

That's SERIOUS indie cred !

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:32 am UTC

wubrgamer wrote:So, I was into teen pregnancy before this movie came out...

That's SERIOUS indie cred !

wait, what?

wubrgamer

Postby wubrgamer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:48 am UTC

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=126

I was using the principle in the above comic which states that something is cooler if you haven't heard of it, it was a joke about indie themed anything (music, movies etc)

so thusly, i had been into teen pregnancy before the movie, it would have made the movie look like a cheap imitation of what was really cool...

just read the comic, it explains it all

(btw, i was being sarcastic as well)

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

oh, i thought you were trying to say something like

"I HAD A TEEN PREGNANCY BEFORE JUNO CAME ALONG AND MADE IT COOL, I AM ORIGINAL HIPSTER"

But, I get what you mean now. Weirdly enough, my friends and I dicuss the "Theory of Hipster Relativity" quite often without actually giving it a title.

I just say that my favorite kind of music is avant garde noise funk metal, and everyone shuts up.

wubrgamer

Postby wubrgamer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

yeah, i've got friends who not only listen to but also play experimental metal and other metal, it's good stuff, they'd probably just pull me into their discussions....

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”