The Science of Sleep

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

The Science of Sleep

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

Just saw this last night. I did a search and was surprised that there wasn't already a topic about it. Anyway, I thought it was a very artistic film, and highly surrealistic. However, I was a bit confused on the plot. I plan on watching it again to really take in the plot. Very entertaining movie nonetheless, and one of my favorites for its style.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Re: The Science of Sleep

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

I like any science related to sleep because they're closely linked to dreams which is still a higly undiscovered part of science...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:I like any science related to sleep because they're closely linked to dreams which is still a higly undiscovered part of science...

Wait, what?

The film is a surreal film about a guy who has problems separating his dreams and reality, no actual science. <.<
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

livelyness

Postby livelyness » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:18 am UTC

I enjoyed the film when I saw it in theaters, back whenever, but the person I was with didn't care for it so much. They felt it was too full of its self, too slow, and too inaccessible Michel Gondry, the writer/director (same guy who did eternal sunshine of the spotless mind) is coming out with another film in I think April called "Be Kind Rewind" Which I believe will have the same quirky feel but be much more palatable to the average American audience. Plus I'm excited to see him do for Jack Black what he did for Jim Carey.

Overall I think this film is really worth seeing though. Gondry takes the melding of mind and reality to a level beyond what he did in sunshine. The art direction and the overall freewheeling feel of a large part of the movie is contagious, even if the plot is a little lacking.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:28 am UTC

I keep reading the title as "The Science of Sheep"
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:34 am UTC

livelyness wrote:(same guy who did eternal sunshine of the spotless mind)

That explains a lot about this movie actually...

yukari koizumi

Postby yukari koizumi » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:28 am UTC

I love the Science of Sleep when I first saw it, and I would watch it again , because it questions the whole sense of reality vs. dreams, and how someone sometimes cannot distinguish from one "realm" from the other.
The concepts and ideas introduced were imaginative of someone who seems to be "artistic"?

anyways the film is really just cute.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:49 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I keep reading the title as "The Science of Sheep"

Same.

But I have heard this is good, and Gael García Bernal is a good actor.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:00 am UTC

I really enjoyed it as far as art and concept are concerned, but I felt that while the film was very well made and acted, I didn't feel that the characters Gondry had created acted as realistic human beings. The story was fine, but the characters within it just didn't seem genuine.

I preferred Eternal Sunshine and Human Nature. Gondry is an exceptional filmmaker, but not quite as exceptional a screenwriter. Put his sense of visual style and surrealism with Charlie Kaufman's characters and dialogue and you win.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 am UTC

I loved ESSoSM but disliked SoS.

I normally like anything touched by Gondry but this movie [though interesting in parts] was imho a little too pretentious for its own good.

I'd reccomend this to anyone who liked both or either or none as it is the shizzel http://www.amazon.co.uk/Work-Director-Michel-Gondry/dp/B0000DK4OO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1203418186&sr=8-1 It's all of his music videos, adverts and shorts including my personal favourite music vid for the Foofighters Everlong.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

yukari koizumi

Postby yukari koizumi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:53 am UTC

[quote="TheAmazingRando"]I really enjoyed it as far as art and concept are concerned, but I felt that while the film was very well made and acted, I didn't feel that the characters Gondry had created acted as realistic human beings. The story was fine, but the characters within it just didn't seem genuine.

I preferred Eternal Sunshine quote]

do you need to have characters portrayed as realistic humans in order to enjoy it?

I mean I wouldn't say that you have to somehow relate people in movies to humanity as a whole irl..... but maybe certain aspects of the characters in The Science of Sleep are human in general wouldn't you say?

I also really do like Eternal Sunshine more too probably....

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

They weren't devoid of humanity, but I felt like Gondry was trying to write sympathetic human characters and fell short of that goal.

HMC

Postby HMC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

I thought it was a pretty decent movie. I think it's difficult to relate to the main character until the last scene, when the chick is like 'Why me?' and he's like 'Because everyone else is horrible and you're different and you don't like me, Stephanie' or whatever, and then you realize that you're just as lonely and pathetic as he is. ;_;

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

she frustrated me. so did he. but it worked well, and i really enjoyed this film. Real enough to become emotional about it, surreal enough to make you go "wow, that is awesome."

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

HMC wrote:I thought it was a pretty decent movie. I think it's difficult to relate to the main character until the last scene, when the chick is like 'Why me?' and he's like 'Because everyone else is horrible and you're different and you don't like me, Stephanie' or whatever, and then you realize that you're just as lonely and pathetic as he is. ;_;

Hey, some of aren't that lonely and pathetic. Not everyone is a You Suck Trope.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”