Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:39 am UTC

I found a rare picture on the internet! 'Twas quite hard work looking for such a cult cartoon that's only watched by half a billion people worldwide, in every country barring Gabon. It's also tough when it's such a great show, yet has never received any kind of recognition.

And here's what they look like nowadays, entering the 32st series
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I found a rare picture on the internet! 'Twas quite hard work looking for such a cult cartoon that's only watched by half a billion people worldwide, in every country barring Gabon. It's also tough when it's such a great show, yet has never received any kind of recognition.

And here's what they look like nowadays, entering the 32st series

"HAlf a billion people" is obviously an exagerration. But I never realized it was that popular. Obviously the show is English, because you said that it is in its 32nd "series". Is it really that old? That's phenomanal, although the quality has totally declined. I'm not surprised that no one watches it anymore with animation like that.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

chaospet

Postby chaospet » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Does anyone remember an old TV show in the 80s with a dad who created a "robot" daughter and tried to pass her off as a real person? What was that?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

chaospet wrote:Does anyone remember an old TV show in the 80s with a dad who created a "robot" daughter and tried to pass her off as a real person? What was that?

Small Wonder?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:"HAlf a billion people" is obviously an exagerration. But I never realized it was that popular. Obviously the show is English, because you said that it is in its 32nd "series". Is it really that old? That's phenomanal, although the quality has totally declined. I'm not surprised that no one watches it anymore with animation like that.

Sometimes my sarcasm and hyperbole goes unnoticed, but in case you are actually being serious, I swapped the pictures as the latter is The Simpsons in 1988 when they appeared on the Tracy Ullman show, and half a billion people is understatement, if anything. Hell, half a billion people watch the Superbowl, and the Simpsons is more globally popular than American football. It has been translated into every language represented on television, and has been a worldwide cultural phenomnomnom for over twenty years. The show is American, in its 20th season, and I only refer to it as series because I am English. The link directed you to a page which shows it has won hundreds of global awards.

As for the film:

Code: Select all

Total US Gross         $183,135,014
International Gross    $343,703,285
Worldwide Gross        $526,838,299

Which is in the 51st highest grossing film (worldwide) of all time.

All in all, it's quite a hard thing to miss. May I ask what nation you are from/in?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
sje46 wrote:"HAlf a billion people" is obviously an exagerration. But I never realized it was that popular. Obviously the show is English, because you said that it is in its 32nd "series". Is it really that old? That's phenomanal, although the quality has totally declined. I'm not surprised that no one watches it anymore with animation like that.

Sometimes my sarcasm and hyperbole goes unnoticed, but in case you are actually being serious, I swapped the pictures as the latter is The Simpsons in 1988 when they appeared on the Tracy Ullman show, and half a billion people is understatement, if anything. Hell, half a billion people watch the Superbowl, and the Simpsons is more globally popular than American football. It has been translated into every language represented on television, and has been a worldwide cultural phenomnomnom for over twenty years. The show is American, in its 20th season, and I only refer to it as series because I am English. The link directed you to a page which shows it has won hundreds of global awards.

As for the film:

Code: Select all

Total US Gross         $183,135,014
International Gross    $343,703,285
Worldwide Gross        $526,838,299

Which is in the 51st highest grossing film (worldwide) of all time.

All in all, it's quite a hard thing to miss. May I ask what nation you are from/in?

Cherokee.

Do you think I'm being serious or that I'm joking? A lot of people seem to think I'm joking, but I'm getting serious answers.

Spoiler:
I'm joking.

Spoiler:
And I'm American, but not Cherokee. I lied about that too. I think I'm pathological. . . .

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Okay: here's my vague show memories.

It was all muppet-like characters, aimed at young kids [I presume], and I know I used to like it. It was about generally inanimate household objects that came to life when the people were away, and I think it was often set in the bathroom. I have memories of fondness, but I cannot tie down anything more specific about the show, and whenever I try and describe it to someone they say "Trapdoor". It's not Trapdoor. Not at all.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Okay: here's my vague show memories.

It was all muppet-like characters, aimed at young kids [I presume], and I know I used to like it. It was about generally inanimate household objects that came to life when the people were away, and I think it was often set in the bathroom. I have memories of fondness, but I cannot tie down anything more specific about the show, and whenever I try and describe it to someone they say "Trapdoor". It's not Trapdoor. Not at all.

Trapdoor was awesome.

...sorry, I know that's not helpful.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Only thing I can think of is Brave Little Toaster. But that wasn't muppets.

By the way, I like your name, mother superior. Beatles?

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:

Trainspotting.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Trainspotting.

Oh. I haven't read/seen that, but after looking it up on Wikipedia maybe I want to.

Originally that was from the Beatles song "Happiness is a Warm Gun".

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:15 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Originally that was a title for a very senior nun.

fix'd.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:28 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
sje46 wrote:Originally that was a title for a very senior nun.

fix'd.

I stand corrected?

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:59 am UTC

But the character was given the title due to the length of his habit. It's both a reference to the original usage and a reference to the Beatles song, which was about sex and heroin (they're metaphors for each other depending on who you ask)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:08 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:But the character was given the title due to the length of his habit. It's both a reference to the original usage and a reference to the Beatles song, which was about sex and heroin (they're metaphors for each other depending on who you ask)

Oh, that's kind of funny actually.

"habit"

I should have probably researched that before I said the original usage started with the Beatles. I thought John was being random when he wrote that lyric.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:49 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:It was all muppet-like characters, aimed at young kids [I presume], and I know I used to like it. It was about generally inanimate household objects that came to life when the people were away, and I think it was often set in the bathroom. I have memories of fondness, but I cannot tie down anything more specific about the show, and whenever I try and describe it to someone they say "Trapdoor". It's not Trapdoor. Not at all.
There was a good show about toys that came to life called Johnson and Friends that I'm probably only thinking of because it was on before The Trap Door.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:34 am UTC

JayDee wrote:There was a good show about toys that came to life called Johnson and Friends

Oh my God.
Oh MY God!
That was it! :D :D :D

Being as you are the first to answer my siren's riddle... will you marry me?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:37 am UTC

Glad to help. Of course, now I want to watch it...

Siren's Riddle? It would never work out. I like my scotch on the rocks, not my ships.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Trainspotting.

That was on HBO last night, and I stayed up to watch it. That's an intense movie.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Trainspotting.

That was on HBO last night, and I stayed up to watch it. That's an intense movie.

Yes it was. Baby thing creeped me out....

Ok, here is the show I have been looking for: There was this cartoon that was on between '96 and '01 IIRC. It wasn't a full series or anything, just a miniseries that aired primetime on american broadcast TV (Fox, I think). It was only on one year that I can remember. Anyhow, the story is about an alien invasion of earth. As with most alien invasion shows area 51 is involved. Significant details: main character is young male 15-early twenties, acquires pet alien dog, and turns out to be the son of one of the aliens (possibly good aliens). A lot of the show it set in one or more of the four corners states... not sure which one(s) though. This next part is me just trying to force my memory to work so it could be wrong, I think the boy was a prince of a good alien race and part of the main reason the bad aliens are attacking earth is to get him.

I tried finding this through google.. but my google-fu is weak.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:Yes it was. Baby thing creeped me out....

So Creepy . .. .
Ok, here is the show I have been looking for: There was this cartoon that was on between '96 and '01 IIRC. It wasn't a full series or anything, just a miniseries that aired primetime on american broadcast TV (Fox, I think). It was only on one year that I can remember. Anyhow, the story is about an alien invasion of earth. As with most alien invasion shows area 51 is involved. Significant details: main character is young male 15-early twenties, acquires pet alien dog, and turns out to be the son of one of the aliens (possibly good aliens). A lot of the show it set in one or more of the four corners states... not sure which one(s) though. This next part is me just trying to force my memory to work so it could be wrong, I think the boy was a prince of a good alien race and part of the main reason the bad aliens are attacking earth is to get him.

I tried finding this through google.. but my google-fu is weak.

Is it . . .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_America ?

I think it is. Some of it takes place in utah, which is a 4 corners state.

If not, look throughthis list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc ... on_progams

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Is it . . .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_America ?

That is it. Thanks, I owe you one. Now, time for me to go be depressed that they never finished the story.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:
sje46 wrote:Is it . . .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_America ?

That is it. Thanks, I owe you one. Now, time for me to go be depressed that they never finished the story.

Is it really?

I'm freaked out. Out of all the articles on that second link, I picked that one first, and quite randomly. I guess I just got lucky.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:31 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Trainspotting.

Now see, I would have guessed Dune. Guess I'd be wrong.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Narsil wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Trainspotting.

Now see, I would have guessed Dune. Guess I'd be wrong.

Wait, Dune for the show with the household objects, or Dune for Mother Superior?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:05 am UTC

There are to thing I can remember watching that I so far haven't been able to figure out what was.

The first one was this cartoon with people in space with wings and a hawk. That's about all I remember, they were in space, and they had wings, and there was a kid who was orange and a bird, falcon or hawk. Same style of drawing as Thundercats I think.

Second was a movie. It had two brothers, I think, who knew karate or some other martial arts (it was from 80-ties/early 90-ties so I assume it was karate). At least one of them was really bad in the beginning, but very good at the end of the movie. There was some story inbetween there where they developed their skills. Some bad guys, a girl and something with something they had to jump over or use a plank bridge to cross. Also in the beginning one of them tries kicking on a pillow but ends up falling on his back.

Anyone got a clue as to what I am talking about?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:34 am UTC

Hmm - maybe the XKCDians can help me.

Years ago I used to watch this TV show on Saturday afternoon and I have been trying on and off for years to remember the title.

This Earth human boy (mid-teens I think) jumped time/space trying to return home. With him there was this hot female - she was from random planet/time/culture where they had lots of rules she was always quoting ("Rule number 86: If in doubt - turn right" kind of thing), and a little fluffy creature.

One episode they visited a toy town, another they ended up back in the female's time/place.

The ship they travelled in broken and they found random things to try and fix it.

Some of this info might not be right - it was a few years ago.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:There are to thing I can remember watching that I so far haven't been able to figure out what was.

The first one was this cartoon with people in space with wings and a hawk. That's about all I remember, they were in space, and they had wings, and there was a kid who was orange and a bird, falcon or hawk. Same style of drawing as Thundercats I think.

Second was a movie. It had two brothers, I think, who knew karate or some other martial arts (it was from 80-ties/early 90-ties so I assume it was karate). At least one of them was really bad in the beginning, but very good at the end of the movie. There was some story inbetween there where they developed their skills. Some bad guys, a girl and something with something they had to jump over or use a plank bridge to cross. Also in the beginning one of them tries kicking on a pillow but ends up falling on his back.

The first one sounds like you got Space Ghost and Blue Falcon confused. But I'm almost sure it was Space Ghost.

Second sounds like one of the Karate Kid movies, but I don't think it is.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:The first one sounds like you got Space Ghost and Blue Falcon confused. But I'm almost sure it was Space Ghost.

Second sounds like one of the Karate Kid movies, but I don't think it is.

It's neither Space Ghost or Blue Falcon. The people with wings where family or something along those lines as far as I remember. And there was a lot more metal in their clothes.The orange kid put his arms out and had metal wings under them, the others had more blue/grey/silverish colours.

Second on is definitely not the Karate Kid movies, I know those better than the insides of my pockets.

they/them/theirs

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Second one also isn't Three Ninjas.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:30 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Second was a movie. It had two brothers, I think, who knew karate or some other martial arts (it was from 80-ties/early 90-ties so I assume it was karate). At least one of them was really bad in the beginning, but very good at the end of the movie. There was some story inbetween there where they developed their skills. Some bad guys, a girl and something with something they had to jump over or use a plank bridge to cross. Also in the beginning one of them tries kicking on a pillow but ends up falling on his back.

Double Dragon maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dragon_(film)

arcoain

anyone remeber this show?

Postby arcoain » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:47 am UTC

I believe it aired on The-N/Noggin several years for a very short time, set in Australia, about teens and there issues. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Does anyone else remember this show or what it was called?
arcoain

sje46

Re: anyone remeber this show?

Postby sje46 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:44 am UTC

arcoain wrote:I believe it aired on The-N/Noggin several years for a very short time, set in Australia, about teens and there issues. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Does anyone else remember this show or what it was called?
arcoain

Check Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... t_by_The_N

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... _by_Noggin

I don't know about it being in Australia. The N has some Canadian shows.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:03 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:There are to thing I can remember watching that I so far haven't been able to figure out what was.

I'm pretty sure the first one is Silverhawks. Don't know about the second one.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:I'm pretty sure the first one is Silverhawks. Don't know about the second one.

YES! Silverhawks it is. Thank you! :D

they/them/theirs

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:50 am UTC

chaospet wrote:Does anyone remember an old TV show in the 80s with a dad who created a "robot" daughter and tried to pass her off as a real person? What was that?

Catherine Jinks wrote about a fictional B-grade TV show from the 70s (60s?) with that sort of plot in a book called "What's Hector McKerrow Doing These Days?" (2000) (retitled To Die For in the UK). I wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual show with that sort of plot though.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 am UTC

steewi wrote:

Catherine Jinks wrote about a fictional B-grade TV show from the 70s (60s?) with that sort of plot in a book called "What's Hector McKerrow Doing These Days?" (2000) (retitled To Die For in the UK). I wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual show with that sort of plot though.

I don't know if anyone saw my post, but it definitely is Small Wonder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Wond ... _series%29

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

I remember watching on SBS a few years ago a (german?) movie about an organised begging troop of sorts. There was this man who decided to write and sell books but he kept getting out classed by all these beggars, who he later saw giving a portion of proceedings to this one man. Turns out there's this guy who's done a study on human pity and is using his findings to design scenarios that will help extort the most money for beggars, such as this one violin player who's too depressed to even pick up the violin and play (turn's out he can't even play at all, but he's been assigned the 'part' by this head honcho guy). The book seller decides to join this scheme and plays a part of a man going out to dinner with his wife/girlfriend on their anniversary, who at the end of his meal (always at a diferent restaurant) doesn't have enough to pay and works up a pity story to get other people to help pay for it. The girl is in on it too. Don't want to reveal the end, it'd spoil it.

Does anyone know the name of it? It's one of my favorite movies, I've never been able to find out what it's called.

peter

Postby peter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

I've got one. It was a movie about a guy who died, went to Heaven, but then had a trial of sorts to see if he had lived life well enough to qualify for Heaven, or if he would have to start another life again.

It was a romantic comedy of sorts, because there was a woman he had liked on Earth that he had met up with while in Heaven, or something...

Any ideas?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

peter wrote:I've got one. It was a movie about a guy who died, went to Heaven, but then had a trial of sorts to see if he had lived life well enough to qualify for Heaven, or if he would have to start another life again.

It was a romantic comedy of sorts, because there was a woman he had liked on Earth that he had met up with while in Heaven, or something...

Any ideas?

Oh! I saw this. Trial for your life? Hold on, let me check Wikipedia.

Got it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defending_Your_Life
I saw it at school this year. It was okay.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”