American Idol (groan or hooray, your pick)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

zingmaster

American Idol (groan or hooray, your pick)

Postby zingmaster » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I found this in today's papers and had a good laugh. I'm wondering what the rest of you think about American Idol.

True, it's a talent show, and in a talent show, the most talented are supposed to win, right? Well, I think it's become a game of who the audience likes more. And who's more popular. Who would win: a brilliant but ugly singer, or a mediocre performer who plays to the crowd? It was better before, but now it's just going downhill.

This also brings up the point of all the other reality TV shows out there. In my mind, they're all the same. Set up a situation, a bunch of cameras everywhere, and you have a show that, in theory, shows the rest of world how a few of our own deal with life. I really don't find any entertainment in it. Either you're laughing at normal people as they make fools of themselves, or you're watching rich folks and just wishing you had what they have. After a while, doesn't the schadenfreude/daydreaming get old?

(I should add that my roommate watches stuff like A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila and Run's House, and it's really starting to annoy me.)
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

podbaydoor

Re: American Idol (groan or hooray, your pick)

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 am UTC

I watched Tila Tequila for about 7 minutes, asked someone what the premise was, and turned the TV off after it was explained. Not because of the premise, but because of the premise and the footage I'd seen combined. Ugh.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 am UTC

You'd think they could at least do something vaguely interesting in a musical way, on this music show. I don't know how they manage to find so many polished and yet perfectly generic musicians. Can we get, like, a tamborine in there or something? Would that be too edgy?

Not only is television now competing directly with YouTube, it's sucking at it. As people defect from the medium, the audience literally gets stupider every day, and the programming is going to reflect that.

"Wait, come back! We'll show you reality! Lots of reality! It will be better than real reality!"

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

God I hate American Idol... but its very addictive. and that's why people watch. And that's why people watch it.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

I don't mind the actual competition but the "audition" shows are just horrid IMHO. They have 12,000 people show up and then screen them into those who are good OR those who are so bad it's funny. I hate that concept. If they suck, they should be weeded out before they audition for the three judges because you know they don't see 12,000 people. They only see those that are getting in or will be good on TV.

I think it's just abusive to people to get their hopes up and then send them into a serious audition to be laughed at.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:24 am UTC

mosc wrote:I think it's just abusive to people to get their hopes up and then send them into a serious audition to be laughed at.
The worst thing is that as I understand it, there are pre-auditions, where you sing before producers before going to the judges themselves. So these producers deliberately put bad people through to be humiliated on national television.

I still laugh though.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:30 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
mosc wrote:I think it's just abusive to people to get their hopes up and then send them into a serious audition to be laughed at.
The worst thing is that as I understand it, there are pre-auditions, where you sing before producers before going to the judges themselves. So these producers deliberately put bad people through to be humiliated on national television.

I still laugh though.

It's all to get people to watch. When you think about it, a good 75% of those who watch the auditions aren't looking for good people. They're looking for bad people. It's sad.

And about Tila Tequila, that show made me crack up. I wonder why my roommate watched it so much.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

RaysOfDarkMatter

Postby RaysOfDarkMatter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:17 am UTC

I know how you feel. My dad only watches the first few weeks for the bad singers and the 'joke' auditions. I used to watch it all because I would write a column for my local newspaper, but now that I'm in college I'm only going to watch once it gets down to Hollywood and after that. I really just want to see if anybody has something I might be interested in hearing. Like Blake Lewis. I love beat-boxing, and so I love him. ^_^ I was a huge fan of Taylor Hicks, and Jon Peter Lewis, and John Stevens... I seem to like the underdogs, when it comes down to it (Blake excluded, of course, and Hicks since he managed to win somehow...) Anyone remember Anwar Robinson? Loved him! I wonder where half these people are now...

cyberdeftly

Postby cyberdeftly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:24 am UTC

I've never liked American Idol. I'm always surprised by these singers who are all of a sudden TOP OF THE CHARTS and I had never heard of them before only to learn that they're American Idol winners or contestants. Singers are not made, they're born.

About Tila Tequila. First off, I HATE tv reality and tend not to watch tv at all (stick to dvds chump) just for that. Tila Tequila for some reason captivated me. I don't know why. Typically I hate that kind of stuff, but her show was fascinating. I think it was the whole gay/straight premise that made it so much more unique and...better! And I know Tila Tequila is like a 4 foot tall asian girl who got to be famous for her internet modeling/posing/nuding, but she really grows on you after awhile. The contestants were also good because I think they were probably the most real contestants I've ever seen on any other reality show (keep in mind that's not very many). So who knows, maybe I'm just another victim of zombie reality craptv...or Tila Tequila really had something going!

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

I used to like it when I was about 12, but nowadays I don't like it much, and I never get to watch it even if I wanted to.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I thought that the thread said "American Idiot" and I was ready with my "good album, but nothing life-changing comment".

So, the "Idol", eh. . . never much cared for it. I don't much like the idea of the corporate world determining if you're worthy to participate in a singing contest, and then relying on hundreds of thousands of Americans to like you. Then again, Clarkson's stuff isn't terrible in a simple sort of way, which is exactly the sort of obnoxious contradiction I'm always getting caught in.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Help! I think I'm addicted. I can feel my brains oozing out my ears as I type this.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:58 am UTC

I accidentally saw a few moments of American Idol once.

I was flipping through channels and landed on one where this girl with truly awful hair was bawling. There was sappy music and a montage of pictures that showed happier days, while a small picture of the crying girl hovered in the lower corner of the screen. I was like, "What could this be?"

The camera revealed Ryan Seacrest, standing next to this girl, feeding upon her suffering with a ghoulish smile on his plastic face. And I knew.

I knew.

*shudder*

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”