Subtitling vs. dubbing

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

How do you prefer your foreign language films?

Subtitled.
88%
Dubbed.
6%
Original language, even if I don't understand it.
1%
They make films in foreign languages?
1%
Otter translated to duck or vice-versa.
4%

Total votes: 267

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Subtitling vs. dubbing

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:15 am UTC

in general, I prefer dubbed anime and subbed everything else.
Either way though, I can't stand awkward wording or inflection, and may skip a movie entirely for those reasons, there's no excuse for a translation to be awkward these days.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Bad dubbing can be funny, but usually its just annoying. So, I prefer subtitles.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Subtitles for any live action movie, no exceptions.

For animated films, usually subbed, but I don't mind as much. Miyazaki movies usually have pretty high quality dubs (with the exception of Lupin III, but that one was entertaining at least), I didn't mind the dub for .hack either.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

Subtitles, every time. Nothing to do with the lip-synching, although it is annoying. Same reason as Krick - I like getting the original inflections. And occasionally picking up on words, depending which language it's in. Also, sometimes it's just far more beautiful in the original language. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the prime example of that for me.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

I prefer dubs. Speed Racer just wouldn't have been Speed Racer if it weren't dubbed. Besides, I'd prefer to be able to pay attention to what is going on rather than reading, and I've perfected passively ignoring things (like the lips not matching).

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Minchandre wrote:Subtitles. It's always essentially impossible to match the mouths and the words, which bothers me. Also, I have yet to find a good dub, unfortunately - the voices always end up completely unsuitable (my favorite is James from Team Rocket from the Pokemon show - in Japanese, his smooth, deep voice combines with his feminine appearance to make him seem like a complete fop; in English, his high tenor just makes him seem like a stereotype of a gay man).

Hellsing is a good dub. Probably the best I've seen. They even found appropriate accents for the characters that ought to have them, and made the words sync with the lips without losing the feel of the dialogue.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:02 am UTC

I recently found an anime playing on IFC that I hadn't heard of before. It was dubbed. I thought the dub sucked, even without having heard the original voices beforehand. I am glad teh internets has subbed episodes. Even if the subs are in Italian (about as close as I come to knowing Italian is a little bit of French and Spanish), it is much more pleasing to the ear. I actually found an English sub after watching the first 5 episodes with Italian subs and the 6th with French subs. Makes it much easier to follow when the subs + original voices are more than 50% understandable :?
LOWA

mickafen

Postby mickafen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Subtitles. However...

Unless they do it like Heroes and put the subs right by the character.

Truth. I've never understood why subtitles aren't used more effectively/sensibly in foreign language films.

Has anyone seen Night Watch? The use of subs in this, to me, is how they should be used: to add emphasis, or evoke a mood, or just as an artform in their own right.

Edit: rubbish spelling

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

How do you mean night watch did it artfully? That movie was beautiful, but had some of the worst lines and acting i've ever seen.

"My name is Tiger and his is Bear, because I turn into a Tiger, and he turns into a Bear"

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Draverd

Postby Draverd » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 am UTC

I prefer Subbed because what they are saying is expressed better, and there is no poor articulation to try to match the lips.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." G.K. Chesterton

mickafen

Postby mickafen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:How do you mean night watch did it artfully? That movie was beautiful, but had some of the worst lines and acting i've ever seen.

"My name is Tiger and his is Bear, because I turn into a Tiger, and he turns into a Bear"

Yes, the dialogue sucketh. It sucketh mightily.

What I meant was the way the subs would interact with what was going on on screen: some examples (possibly false as it's a while since I watched it, due to the aforementioned suckiness)
- if they were superimposed on a pool of water the letters would ripple and break up with reflections
- if someone was killed on-screen the subs would be spattered with blood
- subs flicker blue-white and sparks fly off them during a lightning storm
etc

It didn't interfere with readability (much), but it did make the subtitles feel "part of the film" more than the standard white, boring ol' usual subs do.
It's just a shame that the content didn't match the quality of the delivery system... :roll:

Govalant

Postby Govalant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

theonlyjett wrote:Dubbing is only good for anime and it's probably just as well for movies on tv as those of us who really want to sit down and enjoy a movie probably get the dvd anyhow.

Dubbing anime seems more natural for some reason. But I have seen dbz in japanese and in english, and they're two different shows. I preffer the japanese one of course.
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

kymagic

Postby kymagic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

I would say subtitles purely because dubbing in a differnenct language/poor dubbing annoys me. Yeah, you have to keep reading the text, but I find it damned annoying when you look at someone, and their mouth is moving whilst nothing can be heard...
I'm sorry, but the witty signature you were expecting is currently unavailable. A team of highly trained squirrels are currently attempting to develop one. The management apologise for any inconvinience caused.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

can I point to an example of where dubbing can work and is superior?

Cowboy Bebop
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

reflectia

Postby reflectia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

It's a pain to see bad dubbing. There's nothing like watching peoples' mouths move while listening to off-sync sound.
I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.

Govalant

Postby Govalant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

reflectia wrote:It's a pain to see bad dubbing. There's nothing like watching peoples' mouths move while listening to off-sync sound.

Also, sometime the dubbing companies alter the dialogues to fit the mouth better, and end up missing important parts of the plot.
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

mosc wrote:can I point to an example of where dubbing can work and is superior?

Cowboy Bebop

The sole example.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Now that I've heard from quite a few people, I may have to amend my original thought. When watching a live action movie, I still prefer subtitles for the many reasons listed above. However, upon further thought, I can see how dubbing would work fine for a lot of animated stuff, because often animated characters' mouth motions aren't detailed enough to be distracting anyway.

Oddly enough, as I post this the total of the percentages in the poll comes to 99.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:

Cowboy Bebop

The sole example.

Hellsing was also done correctly. The dialogue changed to fit the mouths, but did so in such a way as to not lose any context. In fact, the subs I've seen of Hellsing are worse than the dubs, due to occasional translation bloopers.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Subtitles, always. err... except any anime that I might watch. (because of the uniform mouth movements (the thing I really don't like about a lot of anime))

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Morphing Ball wrote:

Cowboy Bebop

The sole example.

Hellsing was also done correctly. The dialogue changed to fit the mouths, but did so in such a way as to not lose any context. In fact, the subs I've seen of Hellsing are worse than the dubs, due to occasional translation bloopers.

ARUCARD. Seriously, though, the dub voice actors fitted in OK, but few of them sounded any good. Of course, Crispin Freeman is the bomb, but his voice was really the only one I liked.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:
Torvaun wrote:
Morphing Ball wrote:

Cowboy Bebop

The sole example.

ARUCARD. Seriously, though, the dub voice actors fitted in OK, but few of them sounded any good. Of course, Crispin Freeman is the bomb, but his voice was really the only one I liked.

At least Anderson finally had a Scottish accent.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:39 am UTC

I would much prefer good dubbing than good subtitling. But I would probably prefer bad subtitling to bad dubbing. I think I've seen more really bad sub than I have dubs, incidentally.

My favourite choice would be to watch in the original language and learn that language, but so far that's been far too much effort.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:31 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:Oddly enough, as I post this the total of the percentages in the poll comes to 99.
We are now down to 98. After checking the math, it appears all fractions are rounded down, so if you made a poll with enough options, you could end up with lots of respondents and 0% on every option.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:

Cowboy Bebop

The sole example.

To be honest, I've watched about a dozen other animes I though the dubbing was very well done on and thus I prefer the dubbing. Bastard is another example in addition to the stuff mentioned.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:52 am UTC

I'm with the majority. Subbed only, unless it's well done dubbing on animation. Studio Ghibli has had good dubbing, but I've seen some shockers. Evangelion was better in Japanese.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Morphing Ball wrote:
Torvaun wrote:
Morphing Ball wrote:

Cowboy Bebop

The sole example.

At least Anderson finally had a Scottish accent.

But... but... his nationality is unknown. It's not right!

LauraSakura

Postby LauraSakura » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

I usually prefer subtitles.
The voice actors in dubs usually are not very good quality, and seem to lack the emotion of the original versions.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:08 am UTC

Subtitles FTW.
I like original inflection, as well as the "correct" voice for the role. However, having to look at text whist missing action can be annoying.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:00 am UTC

The only time I have trouble keeping up with action and subs is when background conversations are subbed along with the main dialogue. This can happen in more crowded scenes, and it's a bit annoying.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

Dubbed.

Busy mum, don't have the luxury of watching a film unless I'm doing something else at the same time. I can listen to dubs while doing whatever and glancing up and down. Subtitles are too much like hard work (I have to focus more closely on the screen) and also I'm constrained to look at the screen far more.

MoD

Postby MoD » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

I ended up watching a movie in English dubbed and subtitled into Spanish, and it was horrible. The mouths/speech didn't match, obviously, but what was worse was that the subtitles and dubbing didn't match! I can't think of any reasonable excuse for this, unless it's discrimination against the blind and deaf simultaneously.

EDIT: Wups, I like subtitles. Listening to nonsense syllables is a nice overtone to other foreign elements.
Last edited by MoD on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I prefer dubs. Speed Racer just wouldn't have been Speed Racer if it weren't dubbed. Besides, I'd prefer to be able to pay attention to what is going on rather than reading, and I've perfected passively ignoring things (like the lips not matching).

That's how I pretty much feel. I can't stand subs mainly because it distracts the viewer's attention from what's going on in the movie towards the dialogue. I prefer dubbing for only anime though.

Besides, in most Anime the character's mouths don't really form the words. They flap open and shut like a hand puppet's. The only exception might be to form a look of surprise or awe (as if the character is saying "Oh!"), or in a taunting or accusatory way (a child saying "Oooh...I'm telling on you!"). In most cases the English dialogue corresponds with the time it takes for the character to talk in the native language. Very rarely have I seen where the English dub stops before the character's finished speaking. I think this is because the line spoken in the original language requires more words than in English.

I was watching the English dub of "Howl's Moving Castle" last night (note to self...order it on Amazon...always seem to catch only last hour), and during the entire portion I saw (last hour) only once did the dubbed dialogue not completely sync with the character's lip movement. I think it was one small scene where Howl was talking to Sophie when he was in bird form.

As for live action, I'd rather have the remake with English/American actors, or Japanese (or other Asian) actors who speak fluent English.
PRG

An important message for you:

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Every so often, i.e. when I binge on (subbed) anime, I get used to hearing the foreign language (in this case, Japanese). Then, when I hear something out of the blue in English, it sounds strange. Perfectly understandable, but strange. I actually find that strange sensation to be somewhat pleasant. No way to get that sensation from dubs.
LOWA

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:Every so often, i.e. when I binge on (subbed) anime, I get used to hearing the foreign language (in this case, Japanese). Then, when I hear something out of the blue in English, it sounds strange. Perfectly understandable, but strange. I actually find that strange sensation to be somewhat pleasant. No way to get that sensation from dubs.

Once in a Film class we watched a dramatic Italian movie about the Holocaust. It was all in Italian, and subbed. Anyway, towards the end there is a moment where the yong boy is greeted by an invading (rescuing) American in a tank, who says something in English. The class was so used to mentally streamlining the subs in with the action that it took us a second to realize that-- A:The man had spoken English, not Italian. B) The boy had no idea what he was saying.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

Did they get an American for the role, or was he speaking with a noticeably non-American accent? That would be even funnier than bad dubbing.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 am UTC

I think I've seen that movie. As I recall, the actor seemed like he genuinely was from the United States. What finally broke the ice between the soldier and the boy was when the soldier offered some candy to the boy, right?

I just watched a movie in French. At one point, late in the movie, the sub said "Hurry!", my mind expected to hear "Hayaku!", but my ears heard "Depeche-toi!". I'm not sure whether that's a good thing (I'm learning Japanese) or a bad thing (I'm forgetting French). As I've been mostly watching Japanese shows with subs I can't say it's altogether unexpected, though.
LOWA

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:22 am UTC

Nimz wrote:I just watched a movie in French. At one point, late in the movie, the sub said "Hurry!", my mind expected to hear "Hayaku!", but my ears heard "Depeche-toi!". I'm not sure whether that's a good thing (I'm learning Japanese) or a bad thing (I'm forgetting French). As I've been mostly watching Japanese shows with subs I can't say it's altogether unexpected, though.

That's exactly what happens to me whenever I see a movie that's not in Japanese, English or Hebrew. I keep expecting the foreign language to be Japanese. It's so weird... I was about to post something about this just now. :)

Edit: That movie sounds vaguely like La Vita e Bella, with Roberto Benigni. I seem to recall it ending in a similar way fashion.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:I think I've seen that movie. As I recall, the actor seemed like he genuinely was from the United States. What finally broke the ice between the soldier and the boy was when the soldier offered some candy to the boy, right?

Yeah. Did you like the film? The class thought it was really interesting at the end where
Spoiler:
The main character got shot by the officer, but out of sight. The entire rest of the movie we were all thinking "OK, maybe the guy will still show up. Maybe he shot the officer...ect." But no-he was really dead. The film represented the real world, not happyland, American Hollywood.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:
Nimz wrote:I think I've seen that movie. As I recall, the actor seemed like he genuinely was from the United States. What finally broke the ice between the soldier and the boy was when the soldier offered some candy to the boy, right?

Yeah. Did you like the film? The class thought it was really interesting at the end where
Spoiler:
The main character got shot by the officer, but out of sight. The entire rest of the movie we were all thinking "OK, maybe the guy will still show up. Maybe he shot the officer...ect." But no-he was really dead. The film represented the real world, not happyland, American Hollywood.

Well, that was the only scene I clearly remember from that movie. That, and that the dad was always trying to shelter the boy from the cruel reality around them in the concentration camp. And I seem to recall the dad getting killed shortly before the Allied troops got there, but I can't remember any details beyond that. Sorry.
LOWA

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”