Derren Brown is scary! (The System)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Derren Brown is scary! (The System)

Postby no-genius » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Derren Brown gives people anonymous betting tips. Did anyone else watch it? We were talking about it at the start of the Quantum Mechanics lecture.

As amazing as Derren Brown is, I wouldn't want to meet him because there would be no way I could trust him.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

SomeoneElse

Re: Derren Brown is scary! (The System)

Postby SomeoneElse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

I saw that too.. man, if i was that woman i'd so kick him in the BALLS. He didn't have a system, it was just chance. No idea how they won the last one though, that WAS pure luck.

Derren Brown is pure eevil; says he knows everything when really, he's just done the math.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

It was amazing, but I suspected the twist at the end. Like all good illusionists that 'show you how it's done' they only show you part of the trick, enough to satosfy your ego, but not enough to stop you questioning.

No way was the end left up to luck, because if it had been and failed, they could have paid her back, but the show would be ruined.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Cynicism:
Spoiler:
If they really did reimburse all the other 'participants', they would easily have had enough money to have 4 grand on each horse and have him switch tickets at the end. I'm not convinced that they actually did what they said. It seems like a lot of people to screw over and still be above board. I would be very curious if anyone could find an account from another of the people he contacted.

I am generally torn with Derren Brown as I would love to believe that what he does is genuine and clever, but I can never shake the feeling that it is a large part bullshit. I guess that is what magic is though, it just depends where you draw the illusion/bullshit line.

Good TV either way though :D

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Jimbo:

Spoiler:
At what point did he switch the ticket? I seem to remember he made sure that everything was filmed from before she opened the ticket, so that he wouldn't have a chance to switch it.

But yes, a lot of what he does is designed to fool the viewer. Luckily that's the point of illusions, to fool the audience, and what makes him so enjoyable.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Jesse:

Spoiler:
I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but I think that when he asked to see her ticket, she pulled it out of her pocket. If it was in her pocket at all after the race, Derren Brown could have switched it. I would have to watch again to see if it is continuously filmed but even if it was, sleight of hand is a magician's best friend. She obviously can't have looked at it since she wasn't that incredulous when she saw she actually had the winning ticket, which is odd.

The trouble I have is that I can't believe him when he says he doesn't use camera tricks. I'm not saying he *does*, only that I don't take his word for it. The same with plants in the audience at his live shows. Magic is partly the art of deception after all.

Everytime I start talking about this, I end up sounding really critical but I actually really enjoy his stuff, because like you say, illusions are meant to fool and baffle. And I sure am baffled.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I assumed that she didn't actually read the horse name on the ticket until Derren pointed out to her that it was actually a winner.

Personally, bullshit illusion and magic really irritates me, but this was kinda clever and enjoyable because i understood how it worked. Not the last race obviously; i dont know how he got the winning ticket but it was done soley for suspense and drama.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 am UTC

I think he stages most of these things, though many are based on true principles. The "Russian roulette" thing a few months ago was staged (confirmed by local police). I enjoyed the one where he asks a guy for directions, pacing and leading him, eventually taking his cell phone and his wallet.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

I just watched this on Google and I loved it!
Spoiler:
I didn't see the twist, though. I assumed they'd simply say 'No to worry, here's your £4k back.'
I found it very interesting that Khadisha still couldn't understand why her horse wasn't winning in the last race, even though she'd just been told how the 'system' works. She says at one point in the race 'How come the horse is last? It's supposed to be first.' Confirms what he said about how fervently she believed in the system.

I also got to thinking what would have happened if they had given her the eventual winner as her tip. The ending wouldn't have been nearly as nail-biting...
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
She didn't win a huge amount at the end, considering she put 4 grand in. To be honest, for the last race, I thin Derren Brown just looked for the one statistically most likely to win.

But in all fairness, a great magician never reveals his secrets.
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:36 am UTC

Skateside wrote:
Spoiler:
She didn't win a huge amount at the end, considering she put 4 grand in. To be honest, for the last race, I thin Derren Brown just looked for the one statistically most likely to win.

Spoiler:
But, when you win, you get your bet back as well.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Skateside wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
But, when you win, you get your bet back as well.

Spoiler:
Yeah, but my point is that she only won about 12 grand, that makes the odds of that horse winning 3:1. Other horses must have had odds of 5 or even 10 to 1 but were probably never going to win. Hense, Derren looked for the most likely and bet.
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

Oh, and seeing as most of the £4,000 wasn't her money, it would have been rather shitty if she'd've lost it. And it was enough to pay off her debts, so I don't really your point.

(sure, he might have picked the horse most likely to win - but then that would've probably have had 1:1 odds, so 2:7 seems a little high.)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”