Koyaanisqatsi-Life Out of Balance (1982)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aluminus

Koyaanisqatsi-Life Out of Balance (1982)

Postby Aluminus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:07 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi
Just watched it again on my laptop.
Amazing movie. Amazing score by Phillip Glass.
Kind of leaves you in a daze after watching it. So much imagery to absorb in a little over 86 minutes. Definitely makes you think about what the human species is doing to this planet. And what our place is in it.

Wikipedia wrote:"Microchips" juxtaposes pictures of microchips and satellite photography of metropolitan cities, making an obvious comparison between their layouts.

"Prophecies" shows various shots of people from all walks of modern life, from beggars to debutantes. A scene of firefighters moving along a smoky street was shot during the aftermath of the riots after the New York City blackout of 1977.

"Ending" shows stock footage of a modified and unpiloted Atlas rocket from the Mercury program from the early 1960s. The rocket blows up shortly after lift off (many viewers mistakenly assume it to be the space shuttle Challenger, the destruction of which occurred three years after the movie's release). The footage follows the flaming rocket engine as it plummets to earth. The film comes full circle with a shot of a different portion of The Great Gallery pictograph. It is similar to the first shot, but with no darkly shadowed figures.

Who has seen it?
Who liked it?
Who thinks this movie means anything today?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Ashbash

Re: Koyaanisqatsi-Life Out of Balance (1982)

Postby Ashbash » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Flippin greatest art movie of all time, ever. </hyperbole>

But yeah, I did really love it, I think I've watched it about 4 times now? But I've lost my copy, which kinda sucks.

I saw it more as a celebration of our place in nature regarding technology, it showed both good and bad aspects. But for the most part, that to me was a non-issue, the imagery and shots were so beautiful and awe inspiring that I didn't need to look for meaning.

Oh and Philip Glass is a legend. Who else enjoyed the crazy bass line over the moving cars bit?

Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqMrMY5ZkYc

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Hey I have a link to the torrent, I could send it to you. (If you have a bittorrent client like uTorrent or Azureus. Or maybe you're totally against filesharing)

But yes, this music has captivated me. The microchips segment just made me stop and really think about humans as machines at least that's the vibe I got. The similarities between chip layouts and city plans was too uncanny.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

I have only seen a segment of this movie, but I have seen Baraka, another film of his. From what I know, ( I saw about 1/2 hour of Koyaanisqatsi) the format is similar but the themes are different. It is a thing of pure beauty, and I can honestly say that for the two or so hours it was running I did not have a single extraneous thought. I entered an almost meditative state, my soul seeping into the images and the music. I have seen it four times, the most recent being in a film class. If you liked Koyaanisqatsi, check out Baraka

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”