Breaking Bard

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

hobo386

Breaking Bard

Postby hobo386 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Does anyone else watch this show? I find it to be much better than most of the stuff on TV. It actually has a storyline, and ends its episodes with big events, rather than cliffhangers. Additionally, its just plain funny sometimes, and it managed to catch my attention while I was working.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/

Apemeat

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Apemeat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

I saw commercials for it awhile back, but I haven't been able to actually catch it on TV.

It looked very entertaining. I'll definitely try to catch it when it's on next.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:58 am UTC

I've heard it's very interesting, and I've been meaning to catch it.

Thixotropic

Postby Thixotropic » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I've seen a few episodes...it's alright. It has taught me that the best way to dispose of a body is to break it down with concentrated hydrofluoric acid. :wink:

hobo386

Postby hobo386 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Thixotropic wrote:I've seen a few episodes...it's alright. It has taught me that the best way to dispose of a body is to break it down with concentrated hydrofluoric acid. :wink:

And be careful what you use to contain the acid!

I do admit that its not *perfect,* but compared to other series, I enjoy it much more.
From what I can tell, it seems like they have their plotline mostly thought out, and therefore it shouldn't last 300 episodes like certain other shows do. (Actually, this the main reason that I often watch anime. Giving a defined limit to a show, rather than milking it as long as possible, seems to improve quality.)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Dammit, hobo, I was literally just about to make a thread on this. I thought I discovered something cool before anyone else, and there you go busting my dreams.

This show is amazing. I really like how there are so many intricacies to the story that you can analyze like a novel. For example, as Walt goes on in the series and his condition worsens, you see him wearing more green. In a way, even as his life is coming to an end he is more alive now than ever.

I would have agreed with the not perfect comment until Episode 6. Now I'm convinced it's almost perfect. That episode had the most satisfying ending yet.
"Heisenberg" wrote:That's not meth.

Awesome.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:55 am UTC

Unfortunately, tonight was the final episode of this season. It wasn't quite as explosive (no pun intended) as the previous episode, but there was one scene that particularly struck me. I thought it was great how after Walt witnessed the completely unnecessary violence from Tuco, he changed from his sunglasses, the symbol of his new badass self, back to his schoolteacher glasses.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

I have no qualms in saying this is the best show you only need basic cable to get.

Besides documentaries and that shit from Discover/History channel... that shit is OFF THE HOOK! F*CK YEAH KEN BURNS!

No really tho... this is my favorite show. The science is legit... except for the size of a *certain* explosion in an apartment building, and I love how the character has a deadline. I laughed a lot when in the 5th episode they were commenting on how long he had... that was just the same time that they were announcing 13 (or 17...) new episodes for ext season.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

how do i get my hands on fulminating mercury?
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:28 am UTC

yeah. Chemistry nerds out there... tell me how big a, like, quarter pound crystal of fulminating (ed?) mercury would actually go kapowwie.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

This is a really good show, not only is it one of the finest examples TV drama it also appeals to my geeky chemistry side!

I really like the main actor, loved him in 'Malcolm..' too. It's generally written really well, there's some great, fairly subtle comedy moments like when it opens with the police detective postulating that there's a new kingpin in town, then jumps to "Heisenberg" shaving. It's a shame that the writers strike cut down it's run and I hope it gets renewed for a second series.

On the chemistry side, I think it's good that they've done a bit of research, even if they have taken some artistic licence in a few cases. For anyone who's interested 'Molecule Of The Day' on Scienceblogs did a few articles on the chemistry-

http://scienceblogs.com/moleculeoftheda ... _weird.php (this is the last one, go back through the articles for others)

Friendendr

Postby Friendendr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:31 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:how do i get my hands on fulminating mercury?

heheh... heh... it really is a fantastic show.

Surprisingly dark in parts, and definitely takes you places you weren't expecting. Season 2's seeming to show a little more of the harder side of the criminal life... where the first season was silly when it came to the crime stuff, for the most part, it's now a darker place on the streets, as well as the homes Walt and Jesse have.

What I'm really curious about is how Hank (the DEA agent step-bro to Walt) will develop as a character over the course of the next season and a half... it could totally kill the show or make it even more awesome depending on how they treat him as an entity, I think. And there's definitely something in the works... (breakage, anyone?)

ALSO! There's a video contest on their website now: http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad-contest/
Winner gets to be on the show, woohoo!

Ye should definitely vote/comment/participate in some way over there... I know it's almost over, but I squeezed in a video over the weekend!
The person that someone else sees me as - what I seem to be, and now am.
It's not really that painful
...more like just really sad.
-Bugy Craxone

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:48 am UTC

Still skeptical about Hank? He seemed a lil' two-dimensional in the first few episodes of the first season, but that was just his tough-guy act. Especially through the second they've treated his character in an endearing way, I think they'll get the best out of him.
The inevitable game of cat-and-mouse between Hank and Walter is gonna have its fair share of comedy, but I'm pretty condident it'll be taken seriously, at the same time.

Really impressed with this programme. This weeks episode was funny as hell, and it really does seem like they know where they're going with the plot. Fully expecting it to be one of the few programmes to end on its own terms.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Huh, and here I thought I was the only one watching because of the lousy time slot.
I gotta say, I love Walt and his semi-badass geekishness. He's tough like the average man is tough, from dealing with his responsibilities and the realities of the world rather than from any secret gansta-ish background. The fact that he used to be on Malcom in the middle really showcases the actors range.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:The fact that he used to be on Malcom in the middle really showcases the actors range.
I remember seeing him on Malcolm in the Middle (also on Seinfeld as the recurring Tim Whatley, the regifting dentist who converted to Judaism for the jokes) and thinking that he had a lot of potential. People thought I was crazy, but who's laughing now!

So far, I've gotten my dad and five friends to watch it. Also, new episode in two hours!
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Mon May 11, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Spoiler:
That opening reveal of the two body bags is slightly dampened by the fact that we know it's been renewed for a third season. Thought the first: Maybe that new water heater caused the explosion somehow. Probably not. Thought the second: Maybe it is Walt & Jesse in the bodybags, but they used some of that zombie neurotoxin stuff to 'play dead' for some reason. Or maybe it's the ole 'get two dead bodies that look like us' trick.

Scene in the shopping warehouse place. Oh man how I laughed. I am gonna hate waiting for a third season. Preview for the next episode looks sweet as usual.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Has to the best show on t.v thats still running. Neck and neck with Fringe I usually watch it on the Internet but I'm going to stay up for the season finally.
Last edited by ssbookyu123 on Sat May 30, 2009 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sadistic Humor

Postby Sadistic Humor » Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Is that before or after the finale?

Man, the reaction among my friends who watch this show to the last few minutes of the previous episode has been quite, quite strong. Horrifying. One girl refuses to watch it any more. THAT'S good television.
Democracy Only Works If You Kill The Idiots

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
Oh my bob this was an amazing episode. I know the meeting with Jane's dad was a bit too coincidental, but whatever, it was brilliant. The subtle tangled Shakespearean web of tragedy it gave us was supoib.

I can't even begin to imagine the finale. Dizzamn.

And wow, so so few people are watching this, it's such a shame 'cause Bryan Cranston is easily giving the best performance currently on tv.

Sadistic Humor

Postby Sadistic Humor » Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Spoiler:
I think the meeting with the dad is going to set something up unpleasant, if there's a funeral, and Jesse can't go because he's afraid Q will kill him, so he sends Walter, and... I dunno, something awesome happens?

Sadistic Humor

Postby Sadistic Humor » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Season Finale: Holy Jumping Crap On A Pogo Stick

Spoiler:
The first 40 minutes I was surprised how dull it was! It was quiet. TOO quiet. Something had to happen. That scene with Walt and Sky at the every end made my stomach go all floopy, because that was WAY farther than most "husband lies to wife and wife finds out" tropes take it.

BUT!

Spoiler:
The build-up. The body bags. The pink bear. The trashed car. All of this was because Q crashed some planes? I can honestly say I didn't see that coming because I expected something a little less 'A Wizard Did It' from this show.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Sadistic Humor wrote:Season Finale: Holy Jumping Crap On A Pogo Stick

Spoiler:
The first 40 minutes I was surprised how dull it was! It was quiet. TOO quiet. Something had to happen. That scene with Walt and Sky at the every end made my stomach go all floopy, because that was WAY farther than most "husband lies to wife and wife finds out" tropes take it.

Spoiler:
A lot farther than it usually goes in the first place, too. :D And she doesn't even know it all. I doubt there's any legal way to get that kind of cash-- unless you had a hidden former life or a sugar mommy, which, while legal, would be equally offensive to one's spouse. She doesn't know it all, but she figured out enough, and it was AWESOME.
BUT!

Spoiler:
The build-up. The body bags. The pink bear. The trashed car. All of this was because Q crashed some planes? I can honestly say I didn't see that coming because I expected something a little less 'A Wizard Did It' from this show.
I didn't see it like that...
Spoiler:
He's been killing people for a long time now. "I'm dying anyway," he could say. "It's for my family," he could say. "It was their choice to buy the meth," he could say. "They had it coming," he could say. In the last few episodes, ALL those excuses have been taken away. He's not dying anymore. His family could manage without him, raise the money in other ways. He could've easily saved that girl's life, but he let her die deliberately. And if that plane crash wasn't strictly his fault, it probably wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been a murderous asshole, and it's a lot harder to ignore the deaths you're causing when they're literally raining down on your house. All of those excuses have been stripped away. Everything's coming back around to his door. So, what will he do now?

The last few episodes, his pride has really been showing through, and it's no coincidence. For all his good motives, for all his excuses, it's become apparent that it's pride that drove him to this in the first place: nothing more, nothing less. Terrible as his situation was, there were other things he could have done. He could have called his relatives. He could have told his family. He could have asked for help. But look at his reaction when his son started, God Forbid, asking for charity on the internet. It was galling to him. He couldn't let total strangers help him or his family; they were his, and he had to do it all himself. That's why he started all of this. And that is why, even though all of his excuses are gone, he won't be able to escape.

So, I wouldn't say "A wizard did it". But I wouldn't argue if you thought it was a metaphor taken too far. Personally, I think it was a bit out-there, but too awesome to worry me overmuch.

Sadistic Humor

Postby Sadistic Humor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

No no, I understand the point.
Spoiler:
It won't take long for the dots to be connected. "A local young artist died of an overdose of heroin, and her bereaved father had head explodey." It wasn't his meth, but it was, in at least THREE different ways, his fault. I LIKE that part. A midair collision over his house just seems over the top, to me. The show has always been over-the-top, but always in realistic ways. Crushed in the junkyard? Probably happened before. I can has exploding mercury fulminate? F***ing beautiful scene.

Irregardless, I can't wait for the next season so bad I almost have to pee.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I honestly wasn't expecting Walt to cross the line like that. He's officially a bad guy now as far as I'm concerned. Naturally that won't stop me from liking him or enjoying the show. Gotta say I lol'ed at the fast food guy being a big time drug dealer. The plane debris raining over the house did seem a little contrived though but I do appreciate the symbolism.

Matsi

Postby Matsi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

I just wanted to say that that last episode, especially the ending, was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. Kudos to the writers.

I completely agree with ameretrifle's analysis btw.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

I finally got around to watching this and it is quickly becoming one of most favourite shows. Its suprisingly funny, which is something I wasn't expecting. I just finished the episode where :

Spoiler:
He blows up that assholes car with the squeegee :D The music was great during that scene
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Does anyone hate Walt as much I do? Because I really hate Walt. His pride gets in the way of his being human. I was on his side at first, but now I can do nothing but feel sorry for his family.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:
Spoiler:
Does anyone hate Walt as much I do? Because I really hate Walt. His pride gets in the way of his being human. I was on his side at first, but now I can do nothing but feel sorry for his family.
I probably would if I were a little more invested... because I'm a very casual viewer of the show, I'm pretty causal about that too: I agree with you completely, but I'm not especially passionate about it. I know the feeling though... Oh, do I know the feeling...

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
Megatriorchis wrote:
Spoiler:
I probably would if I were a little more invested... because I'm a very casual viewer of the show, I'm pretty causal about that too: I agree with you completely, but I'm not especially passionate about it. I know the feeling though... Oh, do I know the feeling...
Heh. I spent a few days watching season 2. I was so pissed at Walt afterwards.
Spoiler:
Especially when he let Jane die.I hope he never ever forgives himself for that. He treated Jane as though she wasn't a person in the first place. He was all like "Jesse's junkie girlfriend!" Ugh.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Spoiler:
He wasn't wrong about how he saw her, though, especially after her whole "Give us, the drug addicts, half a million dollars that we'll be SO freakin' responsible with. Yeah, I'm only staying with Jesse because he has money, so what? We'll burn you DOWN! YARG! We're DANGEROUS! Where's my needle..."

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Spoiler:
He wasn't wrong about how he saw her, though, especially after her whole "Give us, the drug addicts, half a million dollars that we'll be SO freakin' responsible with. Yeah, I'm only staying with Jesse because he has money, so what? We'll burn you DOWN! YARG! We're DANGEROUS! Where's my needle..."
Spoiler:
Yeah, I know, but he didn't regard her as a person. And it pissed me off when Combo got shot and he was all like "which on is that again?" He is just a giant dick. I know he's a business man, but there's not a line between doing business and being considerate of others.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I think he's pretty sure that, since he had cancer, he figures no-one else has it as bad as he does / did.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
For all his actions, Walt is still a conservative middle-class white guy in his views of others. I think that's why he can be so blase' about the lives of everyone else involved in drugs. He still thinks he's one of the "regular" people and doesn't realize he's crossing the line into being just another scumbag.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
He doesn't have to become that person. He's always been that person. It just took making and selling meth to really bring it out of him. I mean, come on. What average Joe American conservative middle-class middle-aged white male suddenly starts selling meth just because he has cancer? No one does that. He's never been your typical average Joe conservative middle-class middle-aged white male. And yeah, cancer is bad. But it shouldn't turn him into a dick.

tiramisuloverr

Postby tiramisuloverr » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:48 am UTC

This is easily one of my favorite current TV shows, along with Mad Men. AMC apparently has a knack for creating awesome TV shows, who would have imagined that?

What do you all think of the second season?

Spoiler:
During the second season, the show continued to exceed my expectations. The midair collision in the finale was a bit over the top and seemingly came out of nowhere, but everything else was so extremely well acted and written, that it hardly matters. I cannot wait for the third season!

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 am UTC

Season 3 premiere was tonight.

Plot mainly deals with
Spoiler:
aftermath of plane crash
and introduces
Spoiler:
two murderous Mexican gangsters who have no dialogue.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

I love those two guys!

Pussified Jessie is no fun. :( BRING BACK Q!
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Spoiler:
Walt's line about how he has always been afraid was pretty enlightening. It goes directly to his motives for choosing to sell meth rather than accept help. It's not just pride. He wants to feel in controll for once.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 am UTC

My roommate introduced me to it, and I found season 1 for rent, but have only caught one or two episodes form season 2. (So I'm avoiding spoilers).
One thing I've been wondering about is whether it's likely to appeal to my parents who have been watching Dexter (renting through the mail), which I haven't seen more than 2 episodes of. There's some similarity in the subject matter, and moments of extremely dark humor, but the tonality does seem just a tad different.

Finally caught up, sort of regret watching some episodes out of order.
Megatriorchis wrote:Heh. I spent a few days watching season 2. I was so pissed at Walt afterwards.
Spoiler:
Especially when he let Jane die.I hope he never ever forgives himself for that. He treated Jane as though she wasn't a person in the first place. He was all like "Jesse's junkie girlfriend!" Ugh.
That was horrible! but
Spoiler:
I kind of feel like the scene was more about seeing it happen, than Walt being involved. It's possible didn't know what to do, or panicked. Hard to tell what he was thinking

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Come on guys, I know some of you have been watching the new season.
Spoiler:
It cracks me up how Jesse's trademark insult is "bitch". He comes off more cute when he tries to be tough by saying that. Loved how Walt and his assistant just get along so perfectly that it falls under the category of "bro-mance."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”