Breaking Bard

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sean Quixote

Re: Breaking Bard

Postby Sean Quixote » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:One of my favorite moments of the finale was something I figured out just a few seconds before it was revealed. I got to feel smart for figuring it out, but the surprise hadn't worn off when it was shown, so it was still exciting.
Spoiler:
After Walt scares Gretchen and Elliot with his threat of hitmen, there's a shot of Walt's cat getting ready to leave. I thought, "Those weren't hitmen, that was Badger and Skinny". Once they ran to the cat and took off their masks, I thought, "They probably just had laser pointers". Sure enough, Walt reaches back and they hand over the laser pointers.

Walt doesn't use the laser pointers after that, so there's no plot reason for him to take them away. But, he's a high school teacher, and they're a couple of goofballs, so of course he confiscates their toys. I'm sure he took them just so they could be shown on camera, but I like to think that Badger and Skinny Pete were fooling around with the laser pointers on the ride there until Walt got frustrated and took them, and taking them again was just a preemptive strike.

YES. THIS. Did anybody else also have this particular experience? It happened to me too, and I have no idea why, lol. Was there some tiny, subtle hint that subconsciously tipped me off in the seconds before it's revealed, or am I just clairvoyant and awesome? :mrgreen:

I guess a couple of context clues were probably present, but the fact that we're given this amazingly specific "called it!" moment was just... jarring.

Spoiler:
All in all, my only "complaint" about the series is the small little details that they didn't take the time to fully flesh out... the Gretchen/Grey Matter thing of course would've been nice to know more about, and actually a small and admittedly probably silly part of me wishes there had been a proper denouement where we see what happens to some of the surviving characters, some less-than-obvious ones including Saul (whose exit from the plot seemed rather abrupt IMHO), maybe Badger and Skinny Pete, or even Mike's granddaughter?

But the big one, which either no one in this thread explicitly mentioned or I missed it, was what the fuck happens to Brock? His mother just gets murdered in the middle of the night by Todd, and then Uncle Skinhead (can't remember the name :P) makes a blatantly obvious allusion to him being in continued peril, which is ostensibly the only reason why Jesse allows himself to be forced into cooking with them and why they didn't just kill Jesse in the first place. The finale was pretty much flawless in tying up all of the other loose ends, but it really did take its sweet ass-time in suspensefully building up to the last ten minutes or so in particular and as a result dropped the ball a bit on Brock.

Any "serious" thought on any kind of spin-off would most likely be ridiculous: I think a big part of the reason why this show truly is debatably one of the greatest gifts of television is because it was intended as a fixed story with a definable beginning and an end that everyone knew was coming. Most of all other TV shows aren't like that. They'll keep going and going like the Energizer bunny if the network keeps renewing them. For instance I and many, many others hope Netflix or someone picks Futurama back up at some point, but we all know that Breaking Bad is over, no matter how much we might want MOAR... BUT, if there ever actually was a spin-off then clearly, it would be centered around Jesse and the pilot episode, or opening scene if it were a movie, would show him breaking through that gate, speeding out of the desert and going off to rescue Brock. :P

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Sean Quixote wrote:
Spoiler:
But the big one, which either no one in this thread explicitly mentioned or I missed it, was what the fuck happens to Brock? His mother just gets murdered in the middle of the night by Todd, and then Uncle Skinhead (can't remember the name :P) makes a blatantly obvious allusion to him being in continued peril, which is ostensibly the only reason why Jesse allows himself to be forced into cooking with them and why they didn't just kill Jesse in the first place. The finale was pretty much flawless in tying up all of the other loose ends, but it really did take its sweet ass-time in suspensefully building up to the last ten minutes or so in particular and as a result dropped the ball a bit on Brock.

Spoiler:
Well, the skinheads are all dead, they didn't kidnap him, so I figure he's probably living with other family or in a foster home.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:
He still has his grandma doesn't he?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah we saw her when we first met Andrea, she was the one that was checking up on Andrea making sure she was going to rehab.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:(Seriously, why do we have spoiler tags? Who is in this thread who doesn't want to discuss the show?)

People who haven't watched the latest episodes, people who are interested in the show in theory but haven't watched it yet, people who prefer to wait for an entire season to be out before watching it..

But mostly to keep you in the habit.

So... "People who aren't in this thread yet". Check.

I just finished watching the show (a group of my friends and I watched the whole thing from S01E01 starting in early September), and have been reading the thread, up to the air date date of the last episode we saw, since then. Without the spoiler tags I wouldn't have done that because the potential for accidental spoiling would be too great.

Nijn

Postby Nijn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 pm UTC

This must be the best show I've ever watched. Start with season one 2 months ago and it was just a rollercoaster ride since then. Every spare hour.. Can't wait for more from this director.

newx3

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby newx3 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:17 am UTC

[/quote] I do admit that its not *perfect,* but compared to other series, I enjoy it much more.
From what I can tell, it seems like they have their plotline mostly thought out, and therefore it shouldn't last 300 episodes like certain other shows do. (Actually, this the main reason that I often watch anime. Giving a defined limit to a show, rather than milking it as long as possible, seems to improve quality.)[/quote]

As you know from watching the show, Walter White is diagnosed with lung cancer. The brilliance of Vince Gilligan, he ended the show on the 62nd episode, which equals the 62nd element on the periodic table "Samarium" - - - which helps treat lung cancer. MIND BLOWN. So many different details to this show that I would love to discuss if anyone has the desire.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

So I finally got around to watching this show. I like it a lot, so far, except for one thing. Skyler. God I did not know it was possible to hate a character more than Joffrey, but Skyler managed it. Someone please tell me she gets a similarly appropriate ending.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:26 am UTC

Can you articulate why you hate her?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:32 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Can you articulate why you hate her?

Well I've only seen the first season and first 11 episodes of the 2nd season. It's possible she improves later. In fact she's already slightly less annoying in the last few episodes I've seen.

I just can't stand passive aggressiveness I guess. It's both annoying and cliche. She's constantly giving Walt the silent treatment, instead of just saying what is bothering her. Even if Walt explicitly asks her what is wrong, she refuses to say. She's also very egocentrical in the whole sub plot with her sister.

I actually read an interview with the actress playing Skyler yesterday. Apparently I'm not the only one who hates her (the character, not the actress), and she (the actress) explained that as men not liking a strong female character. But passive aggressiveness is not strength. And it certainly doesn't make a good character. The outwardly subservient wife who uses passive aggression to manipulate her husband into getting her way is like the basis of every single sitcom ever. It's unoriginal as fuck and it's sexist as fuck.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”