Ultraviolet (UK Vampire Miniseries)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Masuri

Ultraviolet (UK Vampire Miniseries)

Postby Masuri » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

This is an offshoot of the 'Give Me Vampires' thread.

Ultraviolet is a 6 episode miniseries about vampires in modern-day (mostly) Britain. I think it was from 1998. (It's a little weird to see people talking on these bulky 'mobiles' instead of little cell phones. How time flies.)

It's very gritty, very realistic, but it's also seriously disturbing. I just finished episode 3 of 6, and wow - talk about dark. I had to take a little bit of a break from it after that, because that episode was actually hard to watch. The storyline is incredibly intense.

I particularly like the way they moved the main character into the background after the first episode. You learn that he is a very good guy, a moral man, and he has been thrust into this situation unwillingly. Then they take him and make him almost peripheral to the action for the next two episodes. It's like you are watching the story unfold through his eyes. It's a subtle but interesting tactic.

I definitely recommend this series so far. I'll have to watch the rest of it and report back.

Miles Invictus

Re: Ultraviolet (UK Vampire Miniseries)

Postby Miles Invictus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

I saw one or two of the episodes a few years back. They were good.

Slice84

Postby Slice84 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:16 am UTC

I saw the whole 6-episode run when they aired it some time ago on Fox I think. There was talk of an american adaptation... We're probably better off without it but I wish they continued the story. I really enjoyed it, I'd like to re-watch it as I don't remember all the plot points, but it was very gritty and well done I thought.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I remember that! It was great - once it got started, which is a typical BBC problem with sci-fi. Basically the first two hours need condensing by about a factor of three. It can't be ten years old, though.

Yup, it can. Oh dear.

My OH based the best part of an entire RPG campaign off that.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 am UTC

cathrl wrote:I remember that! It was great - once it got started, which is a typical BBC problem with sci-fi. Basically the first two hours need condensing by about a factor of three. It can't be ten years old, though.

teh wiki wrote:Ultraviolet is a 1998 British television serial written and directed by Joe Ahearne and starring Jack Davenport, Susannah Harker, Idris Elba and Philip Quast. It was produced by World Productions for Channel 4.

You see what you just did there? You failed. Carry on.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Well... Anything crafted for British television that gets shown in America, regardless of origin, is shown on BBC-America. Though I don't believe that applies in this case, just throwin' it out there.

Also, it's only just now that I come to understand that BBC doesn't own Channel 4. I assumed it did. I blame it on company names that are alien to the names used for American stations.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Brain fart, should have read "UK" not "BBC". Since I am in fact in the UK and therefore have never watched BBC America ever.

Point stands, though. If you bore your viewers to death in the first hour it really doesn't matter how good it is after that.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”