Shooting Someone In The Head.

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Shooting Someone In The Head.

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

So I found out one method of shooting an actor in the head on camera. Apparently, it's quite common. A friend who worked on set for Eastern Promises was surprised by how, uh, naff it really is.

You know when someone goes pow! with a gun and the recipient's all like ugh! and a red circle appears on his/her forehead, and he/she collapses and dies? Well, that's (usually) not some kind of complex visual trickery with concealed bloodbags under makeup on the actor's face. It is in fact, a piece of flesh-coloured paper on a string, being quickly pulled off by an off-screen stagehand.

Huh.

Well, the magic's gone there. The make-up department draws a red circle on the face, and drips red liquid on it, then covers it with a small strip of paper/cloth the same tone as the actor's skin, which has a guitar string attached to it. 'Action' goes the director, 'bang' goes the gun, and 'yank' goes the stagehand. The extra liquid underneath spatters out a bit as the paper flies off screen, and what's left drips down, giving an effective impression the actor's been shot.

This clearly isn't the case for Goodfellas when they shoot the guy (you know, that guy) in the back of the head and blood comes splurging out. Or in the Godfather, with Sterling Hayden, Moe Green, and all those juicy, gory deaths.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Re: Shooting Someone In The Head.

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Good to know.
I was so used to that style of movie death that it was even more shocking when I saw some Vietnam footage. I'm thinking of that time the American general shot the guy suspected of being a guerrilla with a pistol at point-blank. (Tell me if you know the actual names, I forget.) Goddamn fountain.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I remember watching the extra features on the the Shaun of the Dead DVD, and one of them was explaining the scene where they shoot Peter Serafinowicz. Apparently they have multiple shots, one of the shot, one of a watermelon exploding, one of blood splattering, or something to that effect, and finally they flatten the image, and get one shot of Peter Serafinowicz being shot in the eye, and blood going everywhere.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:29 am UTC

I read the first paragraph and assumed you were talking about pulling off the murder of an actor whose character was due to be shot on-screen.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Kosenjou

Postby Kosenjou » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Mr. Beck writes:
I was so used to that style of movie death that it was even more shocking when I saw some Vietnam footage. I'm thinking of that time the American general shot the guy suspected of being a guerrilla with a pistol at point-blank.

Are you talking about the execution of a prisoner on a public street? The pistol was actually fired by South Vietnam Lt. Colonel Ngyen Ngoc Loan, Saigon Chief of Police, not an American General Officer. The photograph was taken by Eddie Adams on 1 Feb 1968.

No picture due to extremely graphic content.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

It's not particularly graphic. I studied that picture in my school textbook for weeks before I read the caption "the bullet was in his head when the photograph was taken". That's when I was shocked. Without that knowledge, it doesn't look too brutal.

Schpoilered for brutality. I would suggest curious, gentle beings of a nervous disposition not to open it. Srsly. The guy has a Rage Against The Machine song in his head.
Spoiler:
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Kosenjou

Postby Kosenjou » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Felstaff,

Thanks. I'm still a newbie so I didn't want to push the bounds of good taste.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I might be thinking of something else. I saw video...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

The picture is a still from the video. Or taken simultaneously. Either way, this event was captured on video.
Still, shocking to think that you are witnessing an immortal reminder of the instantaneousness of mortality.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:witnessing

I can't help but think that she would have found a niche in the xkcd community.

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:The picture is a still from the video. Or taken simultaneously. Either way, this event was captured on video.
Still, shocking to think that you are witnessing an immortal reminder of the instantaneousness of mortality.

I think we all need the reminder sometimes. (Insert 3 screens worth of existentialist philosophy that I am too lazy to type.)
Hey, I tuned a special effect reveal into a thread about sudden death.
On "The Falling Man", have you ever heard the song "Sleep Alone" by Moby? It's an incredible piece about the "Jumpers".

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”