A Startling Revelation

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

A Startling Revelation

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 am UTC

OK, I'm not sure how I got there, but I discovered something.

Apparently, at the end of St Elsewhere
Spoiler:
The entire series was a figment of an autistic kid's imagination. Now, this show has crossovers with a bunch of others, and by extension, those shows are figments of his imagination too. Apparently there's a couple of sites devoted to proving all of TV is part of his imagination. Now, what's got me worried, is that one of the imaginary shows is Boston Legal. Reverend Al Sharpton appears in that show. Now, I know he exists IRL (Wikipedia says so). Does this mean real life is a figment of a TV Show's kid's imagination?! *brain explodes*

Here is a link to one of those internet sites:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html

Also, on the key, it says HHGTTG is part of it. My memory is fuzzy, but I think the Doctor only mentioned him in passing, because he had just saved the world in his dressing gown. So we can scratch one off.

I apologise if any threads have been made on this. I looked it up and couldn't find any, but I may just be incompetent.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Master Gunner

Re: A Startling Revelation

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:16 am UTC

I read about that a while back. However, crossovers do not necessarily indicate that it only exists Tommy's mind. Two main reasons for that are: 1) Just because the show St. Elsewhere existed in Tommy's mind does not mean that the hospital and the characters never existed outside of his imagination. and 2) Some shows that are supposedly rendered imaginatory by crossovers (or crossovers with crossovers) with St. Elsewhere have both the actor (making St. Elsewhere a show-within-a-show) and the character appear.
Still fairly interesting though. I recall I first learned about this because they were originally planning to do the same thing with DS9, rendering the entire Star Trek franchise in the same vein as St. Elsewhere (of course, nobody would think that Star Wars and ET would also be in Benny's mind, just because the Millennium Falcon has appeared in Star Trek effects shots, and ET's race appeared in the Star Wars Senate).
Sometimes I like it when shows play mind games with you, so long as it isn't a standing device in the show.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Yeah, sure you can use logic and say that not all of the other shows are in his mind, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun!
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:55 am UTC

rendering the entire Star Trek franchise in the same vein as St. Elsewhere

I fucking hate when they do that! Why ruin a perfectly good show, especially one with a high geek factor, by essentially wiping the slate clean like that?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”