Vantage Point

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Vantage Point

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:15 am UTC

I suppose my first mistake was seeing the preview (which ruins a twist that should be a surprise about halfway through the film).

This is a great concept, poorly executed. While the audience should bear a little patience and realize that something interesting and new gets introduced everytime the clock resets (ooo, the plot thickens!) and we see another 'vantage point', the movie was FULL of fluff footage (we saw the plaza maybe 8 times, the explosions about the same, yaddayadda).

But fine. I can deal with that, because I did enjoy how the plot was moved forward by revealing little bits about each interaction, changing your idea of whats really going on... until... (ending spoiler beware!)

Spoiler:
'lo and behold, when everything comes to a boil, and the patient audience member has kept abreast of the plots and twists, disaster is avoided and aha! whats this?

Spoiler:
the villain magically fucks up and the president lives and Dennis Quaid is coincidentally RIGHT there! Yay! I'm glad I just watched all that happen for 90 minutes when all I had to know what Dennis Quaid would be in the right place at the right time through not a lick of personal merit!

Although:
Spoiler:
The final television blurb was great.

Spoiler:
"The lone assassin was executed", thus indicating the entire thing was covered up (perhaps like this movie should have been)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: Vantage Point

Postby Jesse » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:58 am UTC

I thought the movie was interesting in doing a new style of film in Hollywood (Borrowed from Japanese cinema as I am sure everyone is aware by now) while still being completely boring in terms of plot and predictable in terms of plot twist.

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:04 am UTC

So, it's not that good?

Well, darn. :( I was looking forward to this, too.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:32 am UTC

I saw it with a bunch of friends last night; it was the only thing that fit into our time schedule.

So I went in, not knowing what to expect, knowing absolutely nothing at all about the movie, not even who the actors were.

I liked it a lot until around about halfway, when the cinematic cliches started to get to me a little.

The action scenes were awesome, eg. random shooting on street and the two takedowns, Dennis Quaid drifting in some tiny little car, yeah.

It was a bit disappointing when it all ended, however.

Spoiler:
I mean, cmon, can't the terrorists win for once? Jeez, Thomas Barnes has like ten lives or something, getting up each time you'd think he died. >_>

The clock resets had me going at the start, quite a good/interesting technique, had me wondering who would be next, and so on.
Highlights were the five or so time we go to see Quaid's character tackle that guy, and also that black guy. He was so awesome. And that Chief of Staff guy, trying to push through the idea of bombing the crap out of wherever the terrorists were hiding. Yeah.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”