Spaced U.S Remake

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

socynicalsohip

Spaced U.S Remake

Postby socynicalsohip » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7293/tcid/1

I have just read this script review for the pilot and I must say it doesn't sound too promising. Admittedly I will wait until they have aired the pilot and perhaps a few episodes [if it lasts] after that before I pass judgement.

My question would be is why won't US networks buy the rights to a British show instead of making a potentially poor imitation? [like men behaving badly, coupling and the god awful pilot for red dwarf*] Is there anything wrong with the original versions? What do other XKCD boarders think?

*This said the American Office is the exception which proves the rule.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

Bruce

Re: Spaced U.S Remake

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I think that Americans do not understand British humour, but can't/don't come up with original ideas.

Spaced is great and this has very little chance of being anywhere near as good.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

I don't think it's got /any/ chance of being as good. Spaced was brilliant and unique. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say: It will be shit.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Yeah, doubt it will be any good.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Spaced was amazing. The two different Offices are very different shows - it just so happens that both work. I doubt that will happen with an American version of Spaced.

swik

Postby swik » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

I think there's just this fear that the networks won't be able to attract a large audience with a British cast. Whose Line Is It Anyway? managed to do pretty well didn't it?

I love Spaced and when I first watched it I thought it was just the type of thing they'd remake in the U.S. but Simon is so awesome it would be hard to replace him. Another reason to remake the show is that some expressions etc aren't necessarily widely known in America, they're not really confusing but they're enough to be disruptive to the audience. It's funny that America usually remakes foreign shows if they're going to use them but other countries just take U.S. shows. At least the major networks don't take foreign shows.

Spaced and Scrubs seem similar to me. Each show borders on the surreal and wacky.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Oh dear. That just depresses me. I doubt they'll be able to capture the pure, unadulterated awesome which is Spaced. I wonder what will replace the British-esque Jaffa Cakes, Bovril and having twelve cups of tea kind of jokes...

I really, really, REALLY hope they're not planning on making an American version of Black Books.
i dare you to take me on...

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

I don't see how they could possibly make a good remake of this.

Then again, they probably said that about the Office. So who knows.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

I hope to whichever deity you sponsor that Simon Pegg has the same input (i.e. executive producer) that Rickey Gervais & Steven Merchant had over the remake of the Office.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:40 am UTC

tin wrote:Oh dear. That just depresses me. I doubt they'll be able to capture the pure, unadulterated awesome which is Spaced. I wonder what will replace the British-esque Jaffa Cakes, Bovril and having twelve cups of tea kind of jokes...

I really, really, REALLY hope they're not planning on making an American version of Black Books that great comedy series we all know about over here.

Don't say anything! If you raise awareness it might happen...
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:10 am UTC

This thread title alone is capable of reducing someone to tears.
My bet is it will be [insert slang for faeces here].
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

tin wrote:I really, really, REALLY hope they're not planning on making an American version of Black Books.

They are planning on making an American version of The IT Crowd, though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Bruce wrote:I think that The Network Executives in America think Americans do not understand British humour because about the only exposure actual British stuff gets on TV is either on PBS or on BBC America, one of which not many people watch, the latter being difficult to get, but can't/don't come up with original ideas.

Spaced is great and this has very little chance of being anywhere near as good.

At least, that's how I see it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Yeah, your* network executives really need to get their finger back on the pulse.

Also, slightly off-topic. Writers/execs also seem to listen to internet forums more than ever (read: Lost). Why? The only people who post on these things are obsessives who nit-pick their subject matter with constant criticism (...؟) They represent less than a fraction of a percentage of the overall watcher-ship of any given show. Their views should not be given any more sway than your average Merikin who just watches the show without the compulsive need to dissect it during/seconds later on the interwob.

*USAtions
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
tin wrote:Oh dear. That just depresses me. I doubt they'll be able to capture the pure, unadulterated awesome which is Spaced. I wonder what will replace the British-esque Jaffa Cakes, Bovril and having twelve cups of tea kind of jokes...

I really, really, REALLY hope they're not planning on making an American version of Black Books that great comedy series we all know about over here.

Don't say anything! If you raise awareness it might happen...

They've probably heard me. Good gawd, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I know that we Brits know that Black Books is a fantastic comedy which features that amazing incestual group of British comedians who feature in each others shows.*breathes*. It's for any curious people over the pond, really.

GMontag wrote:They are planning on making an American version of The IT Crowd, though.

Yeeeeah, I've heard about this too. Maybe we'll all be wrong, and the new versions of these shows will be sexellent.

Hmmm. Probably not.

yellie

Postby yellie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I've been reading about McSpaced from Edgar's blog for a while now, and it depresses me to no end. The fact that McG etc are doing this without their permission digusts me. But because Edgar, Simon and Jess have all released statements saying "we're not involved, we're not happy", I'm sure all of their American fans will avoid it, leaving them with virtually no viewers.

Hopefully McSpaced will fail, just like American Red Dwarf. (Along with the IT Crowd remake-- Richard Ayoade, how could you.)

I'll never understand America's obsession with remaking every single English show. Why not just show the original? We don't go around remaking Lost or Heroes. ):<

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Why not? Dooo it!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

yellie

Postby yellie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Because if we remade Lost, this is what it would be like.

...You really don't want us going near your tv shows.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

This won't work. I can't see how it would.

i think I may have to go watch all of the episodes with a bottle of gin and hope my bitter bitter tears make the gin slightly more pallatable, like lemons do, when i don't have to resort to ice-cubes to get more value for money like have to in pubs.

I really hope they don't remake Black books - they'd only stick danny devito in it any way.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:03 am UTC

The only slight hope is if they use Hugh Laurie for something, since he's in the U.S. for House anyway.
Otherwise, KILL EVERYBODY.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 am UTC

GMontag wrote:
tin wrote:I really, really, REALLY hope they're not planning on making an American version of Black Books.

Well, but actually the IT Crowd could work in an americanized version. Nerdiness and making fun of corporate worlds work in America, which I think is one of the reasons the american The Office worked. Of course, since one of the main characters in the IT Crowd is a woman... oh dear. Never mind, it won't work. Black Books has a totally different source of comedy and feel that I don't think would translate across the pond. And also they won't have Bill Bailey.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

GMontag wrote:

I seem to rememeber stumbling accross a youtube vid of a German Remake of the IT Crowd played split screen with the UK version. It was incredible how identical the timing was and how the only difference was the language being spoken.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

swik wrote:Another reason to remake the show is that some expressions etc aren't necessarily widely known in America, they're not really confusing but they're enough to be disruptive to the audience. It's funny that America usually remakes foreign shows if they're going to use them but other countries just take U.S. shows.

So Americans don't get British shows because they don't get British slang. And Americans don't get British slang because they don't get British show...

I've found it really weird moving to Canada and suddenly all that's on tv is American and Canadian tv. In NZ we got British, North American, Australian and NZ tv, plus a random German channel for a while. I don't quite get what was with the German channel. It bugs me how insular North America is...

For instance, the US dubbed Bob the Builder from English into American English. That just seems so wrong to me...

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:03 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:For instance, the US dubbed Bob the Builder from English into American English. That just seems so wrong to me...

That would be horrible.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:*This said the American Office is the exception which proves the rule.

Going by the first series, it isn't.

And it doesn't really matter if (Spaced USA) is good or not, I won't be watching it, ever.

Edit: Damn straight, we're keeping Bill Bailley. They can take our lives, but they can't take the BBster.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Yeah, whoever greenlighted this needs to be shot in the nuts. Pegg/Wright/Hynes aren't involved at all, and weren't even consulted whatsoever. They only found out about it themselves after it hit the news a few months ago. Yes, they don't own the rights to Spaced, but its just rude.

I fail to see how this is going to be any good whatsoever. With The Office, the outline was broad, but its very easy to play on and adapt it for different cultures, industries or whatever. The basic plot outline of Spaced is very generic, which it's meant to be - but its the little things which make the programme. And the little things won't be tended to. This script sounds like they just ripped off the first episode, which is shitty in itself... but there are only 14 episodes of Spaced in total, and over 20 in a US "season" of episodes. I say they're going to run out of steam (like they'll have much of their own coal to begin with) pretty quickly.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

The American Office was bad when they were trying to copy the British series. Particularly the first episode...

But after a while, it kinda becomes it's own thing. It's a bit more like a standard American sitcom than the British series, and it works that way.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
swik wrote:Another reason to remake the show is that some expressions etc aren't necessarily widely known in America, they're not really confusing but they're enough to be disruptive to the audience. It's funny that America usually remakes foreign shows if they're going to use them but other countries just take U.S. shows.

So Americans don't get British shows because they don't get British slang. And Americans don't get British slang because they don't get British show...

I've found it really weird moving to Canada and suddenly all that's on tv is American and Canadian tv. In NZ we got British, North American, Australian and NZ tv, plus a random German channel for a while. I don't quite get what was with the German channel. It bugs me how insular North America is...

For instance, the US dubbed Bob the Builder from English into American English. That just seems so wrong to me...

New Zealand is small and North America is big. North Americans have enough home-grown entertainers that they don't feel the need to import; resulting in their comedic culture incestuously feeding back upon itself.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/comments/13192/simon_pegg_on_the_us_spaced_remake.html

I've just stumbled upon this statement issued by Simon Pegg about the bucket load of shite which is the Spaced remake. It's pretty depressing seeing his take on it...poor guy.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Edgar Wright wasn't best pleased when he found out either, and only now has McG even bothered to get in touch with him.

swik

Postby swik » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:56 am UTC

I've always suspected that part of the reason the average American being sort of behind compared to the rest of the world when it comes to just general knowledge about other cultures comes from the import/export of entertainment. The fact that America has such a thriving entertainment industry means that the ratio of foreign shows to domestic is much, much lower. Simply talking to friends from other countries who speak multiple languages basically all of them say they picked up their English from watching American television shows. A lot of general knowledge about a country and its people can be gathered from such sources and I get the feeling we really miss out as a result.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:37 am UTC

Thanks for reminding me about this. I've been trying to pretend it didn't exist ever since I heard of it. I'm not as upset about The IT Crowd remake because that at least has some potential to be good. The Spaced remake? Not a chance.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

swik wrote:Simply talking to friends from other countries who speak multiple languages basically all of them say they picked up their English from watching American television shows. A lot of general knowledge about a country and its people can be gathered from such sources and I get the feeling we really miss out as a result.

And people wonder why the rest of the world hates Americans without ever actually meeting one. Because they think we're like the 90201 characters.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

I thought it was George W Bush.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

That's just the latest excuse.

Also, we take things that are good in their native lands and convert them to our own. Like Red Dwarf. Terry Farrell as Cat? The hell?

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That's just the latest excuse.

Also, we take things that are good in their native lands and convert them to our own. Like Red Dwarf. Terry Farrell as Cat? The hell?

Beer?
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

But they don't even have good beer :P

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

I believe that was the point.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I believe that was the pint.

Fixed :)

It's not just that, it's the whole thing of have their own special system of measurements, own spelling, and own size of paper and all that...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”