Doomsday

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Malice

Doomsday

Postby Malice » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:16 am UTC

I can't say I can recommend it. It was the silliest movie I've seen in at least a year.

Having gone in with absolutely zero information or expectations (all I knew was that it was about some sort of virus)... I was thrilled by the sheer inventiveness of the movie--which features, in no particular order, a plague, Prime Ministerial intrigue, tanks, a cybernetic eye, cannibal post-apocalyptic dudes (who must have walked onto set directly from Mad Max, because they suffer under the same delusion that after a few decades of chaos there will still be plenty of gas to power motorbikes and odd cars), bows and arrows, knights on horses, a fucking castle, and the box-room from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (among others).

At first I was like, oh, clearly this is using warring genres to contrast eras of past and future Britain in order to reconcile notions of former glory and current decadence, but then the ending didn't seem to work well with that.

It's written and directed by Neill Marshall, who previously made a pretty good movie about werewolves (Dog Soldiers) and one of the best horror films of this decade (The Descent), so I had high expectations. They were kind of dashed. I was continually pleased when the next absurdity exploded onto the screen, and the cinematography is often breathtaking, and the effects were good, and even the editing was good (particularly in the climatic chase sequence).

But my theory for what happened is that Marshall made the best 3-hour movie in the world, and a producer or somebody said, "Are you crazy? You can't release a 3-hour movie. Cut it down." And he cut out all the character development and dialog and conversations, leaving nothing but opening gobs of exposition and wall-to-wall action sequences.
And because of that the film just didn't work. I didn't care about any of the characters because I hardly knew their names and they had no attributes to define them beyond "This one is related to that one" and "Oh, look, he carries this sort of weapon". Nobody ever said anything that contextualized their struggles or gave any sort of meaning to anything; there weren't even a lot of snappy one-liners or anything.

What I can say is this; "Doomsday" is the closest thing I've seen yet to the sort of "River Tam Beats Up Everybody" 2-hour action-fest, and if you want to see what that's like, go see this movie. Me, I found it almost boring.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Doomsday

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Sorry, the Descent was terrible.
Spoiler:
I mean, bat people? What's scary about bat people? Just not a good movie, I'm sorry.

Probably will steal this movie.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Gharbad wrote:Sorry, the Descent was terrible.
Spoiler:
I mean, bat people? What's scary about bat people? Just not a good movie, I'm sorry.

I'd like to think that you're joking. That's the only way that makes sense to me.

What's scary or not scary is a matter of opinion. Whether The Descent is actually good as a horror film is debatable (although everyone I've ever watched it with found it extremely disturbing, especially the first claustrophobia-inducing half). Whether it is a good film is without question. Acting, cinematography, writing, editing--every component of the film is top notch and works perfectly together.

And, come on.
Spoiler:
They're not "bat people". They're just subterranean humanoids. They're not called bat people, and they neither look nor act like bats.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:30 am UTC

GOLLUM, gollum!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”