Top Bear!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cypherspace

Re: Top Gear!

Postby cypherspace » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Yeah, that was superb! I laughed like hell when the Corvette thing came up. Awesome.

I was especially impressed with the last show of the series. I'd been hoping they'd review the Tesla Roadster for ages, but I hadn't heard of the Clarity, and they did a superb job on both reviews, really highlighting the shortcomings and benefits of both, real journalism and still managing to make it entertaining and humorous.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Phill wrote:
Spoiler:
"What if I get asked to participate in an assault with the Royal Marines?"

"The cup holders are the perfect size for your smoke grenades!"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

The Vietnam Special didn't *quite* beat out the Africa episode, which I think was one of the best hours of television from anywhere, but it's damned close.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Has anyone watched the Australian version? I downloaded them all but I've only watch two of them. So far I'm rather indifferent to it. Enough so that I can't force myself to form an opinion one way or the other.

I think I want a Ford Falcon, though. Why don't we get that here?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:21 am UTC

I've seen a couple of episodes of the Aussie version. As car shows go, I'm sure it's fine. But I don't like car shows; I like Top Gear :P The Aussie blokes are cool, but they just don't have that same chemistry or whatever it is.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:I've seen a couple of episodes of the Aussie version. As car shows go, I'm sure it's fine. But I don't like car shows; I like Top Gear :P The Aussie blokes are cool, but they just don't have that same chemistry or whatever it is.

In other words, they aren't as beastly to each other as Clarkson, Hammond and May are? :P

I have to admit, I struggle to imagine a Top Gear without those three. Like a lot of people, I couldn't give a toss about cars - I just watch to see what ridiculous stuff they get up to.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:41 am UTC

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they just hadn't developed their personalities or if they actually didn't have any.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Warren, (the cartoonist) had a bit of a personality, but the other too just seemed far too wanky.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

wst

Postby wst » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:The Vietnam Special didn't *quite* beat out the Africa episode, which I think was one of the best hours of television from anywhere, but it's damned close.
Not enough car.
But still, I laughed plenty. Especially when James May's motoboat failed miserably. And numerous other occasions.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

I liked the African Special more, but thought the vietnam special was funnier. (Booorn in the U.S.A.!)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:Warren, (the cartoonist) had a bit of a personality, but the other too just seemed far too wanky.

Are you kidding? Warren is a complete wanker - knows nothing about cars, can't present, is completely unfunny. Charlie isn't too bad (he generally seems to know what he's talking about) but he's no TV presenter. Steve is the only really good one, but all of them have the same problem - it's not natural, it's not just banter back and forth. It really shows that they're reading from a script, that they don't have the same relationship that the UK boys have...but I reckon they were improving in this manner in the later eps.

Hopefully with Charlie leaving, and them continuing next season they will get better - the UK version had similar problems for the first few seasons, IMO.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:I think I want a Ford Falcon, though. Why don't we get that here?

If you're American: Ford hates America and refuses to give us their awesome foreign cars (Falcon, Mk. 2 Focus, Mondeo). If you're European: shut up and enjoy your Focuses and Mondeos.

In all seriousness, the current models would be too expensive to adapt for left hand drive, and also Ford refuses to sell a car that outperforms the Mustang GT without it being a better Mustang (Cobra/GT500) or an obvious supercar (GT).

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:... and also Ford refuses to sell a car that outperforms the Mustang GT...
Well, now, that would present a problem.... :mrgreen:

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

The Stig's identity has been revealed!
It's...
Spoiler:
Le Mans racer, Ben Collins, or wait, is it legendary Racer Graham Hill who faked his death 20 years ago for the role. Or is it Tom McKillop whose time spent racing fantastically expensive cars around the track may have contributed to the failure of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The Real answer may be the most surprising, Say hello to Mr. President Stig Barak Obama

In other news, the revelation that the Stig is in fact a Human Being means that it is extremely unlikely that he also has Magnetic Knees and therefore, presenter Jeremy Clarkson is a big fat liar.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:51 am UTC

Nah, I'm the Stig. It says so on my tshirt.

Also, thank you for the spoiler tag. Because seriously, the first person who manages to spoil this for me will be stabbed in the face, even over the internet. Stig is Stig, magnetic knees and all, goddammit!

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

So I missed tonights episode due to studying, but I heard the Stig's identity was revealed? They may of course still be pulling our leg

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

It's already been spoiled for me in another forum. They revealed it in the sodding thread title so it wasn't even a case of clicking a link I shouldn't have. :evil:

All I can do now is cling to the slim hope that they were lying.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:16 am UTC

Un-spoilered now that the secret is out on the show, and it is in fact none of these people

Le Mans racer, Ben Collins, or wait, is it legendary Racer Graham Hill who faked his death 20 years ago for the role. Or is it Tom McKillop whose time spent racing fantastically expensive cars around the track may have contributed to the failure of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The Real answer may be the most surprising, Say hello to Mr. President Stig Barak Obama

or is it?
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

They did make it kind of ambiguous at the end, like maybe it had all been a subtle joke. Who knows. It's killed the mystery a little either way, but oh well. I guess I can't really stab Top Gear in the face; he is their Stig after all.

*washes tshirt to wear to work*

It was a good episode in general :) *laughed a great deal*
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

ian

Postby ian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

Clearly isn't actually the stig. No idea who the normal stig is, but they've had plenty of one off stigs before for when manufactuers send their own drivers, was a similar case here. He was good at playing along with it though, I must say I wasn't expecting it to be him.

Quite enjoyed the race too. Poor Hammond.

For anyone wanting to know who it was:
Spoiler:
It was Michael Schumacher, who beat the top lap time by 7 seconds in his own Ferarri FXX, though many have pointed out it's not a road legal car, so should really be on the other leader board they used to have.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 am UTC

Oh me yarm, I have to laugh at people who actually believe he's the Stig. The guy made $27M a year when he retired and is still employed as an adviser. There's no way the BBC would be able to afford his time to drive, much less coaching the SiaRPC.

Good episode, though, and it bodes well for the season. I thought they'd run out of ideas for races, but this was epic. Maybe not the best race they've done, but definitely the best array of vehicles in a long while.

Three cheers for NBC and their decision to nix the show here.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:14 am UTC

The FXX is just as road legal as the F1 car they put around before (that is, not at all), which broke 1 minute, as I recall.

Spoiler:
Also, apparently the only black FXX without a white stripe belongs to Schumacher himself.

Schumacher probably isn't the main Stig. It's likely multiple people, just for the sake of time comittments, and I'm sure Schumacher is busy behind the scenes at Ferrari. I'll bet they replace each/most of the SIARPC segment this series with revealing one of people who has done the Stig, which I think is what they were alluding to at the end. For another thing, if they were going to do a big reveal of a single Stig, they would have built up for it over the course of the whole series with a big reveal in the last show.

Ben Collins is likely the most common person to play Stig, and he'll probably be saved for last.

TG America has apparently been killed off by a focus group. This will likely do nothing to change Jezza's opinion of America, and in this case, he'll be right.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:39 am UTC

but they didn't put the F1's time on the board.

And yea, I doubt that the guy the revealed is 'the' stig, though it's likely that he has at least been a stig in one or two segments in the past.

I think they probably 'revealed' the stig was him because they used his FXX, which was visually distinct from the other 30 produced.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 am UTC

It would be funny if they did a Stig reveal every week, it being a different person each time. :mrgreen:

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:And yea, I doubt that the guy the revealed is 'the' stig, though it's likely that he has at least been a stig in one or two segments in the past.

I think they probably 'revealed' the stig was him because they used his FXX, which was visually distinct from the other 30 produced.

Why is it likely? They wanted to put an FXX round, so they got Schumacher to do it in his. I've no idea why anyone presume that it's likely he has done segments in the past.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

because he's the greatest racing-car-ist currently living? It just seems like that'd be his thing I guess.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:44 am UTC

His thing recently has been supporting Ferrari's F1 team and trying to learn Superbike racing in the German championship. I'm not sure if he's racing in '09 but he was in '08. There's no effing way Schumacher's made a single appearance as the Stig before this.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 am UTC

If I were a trillionaire racing driver, I'd be the Stig for free :P

Er, not that I'm *not* the Stig...

ian

Postby ian » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:because he's the greatest racing-car-ist currently living? It just seems like that'd be his thing I guess.

Just reread my post and apologies if I came off as an ass! Saying that, I still don't think it's likely he has before, though thinking about it more it wouldn't surprise me if he had done other Ferrari laps, highly doubt he would have driven anything else round there

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:It would be funny if they did a Stig reveal every week, it being a different person each time. :mrgreen:

Spoiler:
Rosebud is The Stig.

But seriously, I like this idea. Especially if it gets more and more preposterous as they go along.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Like what? Brian Blessed being the Stig? :P

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

I din't even realize the new series had started (curse you hard drive dying and being without internet). I love the show can't wait to see more new stuff.
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Me neither. I turned the TV on last Sunday to watch the South Pacific (which unfortunately has finished), and it was on. The newer ones have been pretty substandard, but this one was great - Stephen Fry was the guest, and we found out he has an iPhone app called Grinder, which is a gay cruising application. It tells you the nearest person who wants gay sex. Friggin' hilarious.

The other funny thing was their challenge, which was to buy a car on a student budget, modify it, go camping with it, and sneak it down the driveway without Mum and Dad hearing it.

It's probably still on the iPlayer.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Gah. Top Gear Australia season 2 has finished(incidentally, way better than season 1. not as good as the UK version though.) and now we get old repeats :? Why can't they just give us the new UK series, instead of having us 6 months behind?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:10 am UTC

*coughtorrentcough*

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:Gah. Top Gear Australia season 2 has finished(incidentally, way better than season 1. not as good as the UK version though.) and now we get old repeats :? Why can't they just give us the new UK series, instead of having us 6 months behind?

Can you watch iPlayer?

ian

Postby ian » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:21 am UTC

Not from Aus, though yeah, can just torrent it if you're into that.

I watched the first two eps of the Aus one and it seemed okay though the comedy was a bit forced, hopefully they have gelled a bit better.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
LuNatic wrote:Gah. Top Gear Australia season 2 has finished(incidentally, way better than season 1. not as good as the UK version though.) and now we get old repeats :? Why can't they just give us the new UK series, instead of having us 6 months behind?

Can you watch iPlayer?

Only if I want my connection shaped damn quickly.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:*coughtorrentcough*

no need to be discreet. The producers have repeatedly encouraged those to whom BBC is not available to torrent the show.

finalgear.com has links to rips for every episode and are very good about getting them up withing an hour or so the episode airing.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:25 am UTC

Ooo, ta :) My brother doesn't watch the d/l's because his conscience feels that it's stealing. He'll be happy if I tell him they gave it to us for free.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”