Top Bear!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Endless Mike

Re: Top Gear!

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Ooo, ta :) My brother doesn't watch the d/l's because his conscience feels that it's stealing. He'll be happy if I tell him they gave it to us for free.

Well, it's not *technically* legal, since the BBC still holds the copyright, I believe, but it's close enough. This is like the lead developer on a piece of commercial software saying anyone who can't buy it should download it.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:53 am UTC

I just realized something. If the Stig is really Michael Schuchmacher, does that mean the big matchup against D-Motor in 11x06 was actually won by the Germans? :shock:
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

frezik

Postby frezik » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Spoiler for next episode:

Spoiler:
Jay Leno will be the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

If that's the case

Spoiler:
then I expect him to set a pretty good time. He's quite the car enthusiast, as seen in an earlier episode of Top Gear.

frezik

Postby frezik » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 am UTC

Spoiler:
So, no Leno this week, but he was seen on the track. It's not unusual for them to film the SiaRPC segment out of order from the rest, so we'll probably see it yet this season.

For those who don't know why this is a big deal, see jaylenosgarage.com. Leno isn't just some rich guy with a lot of cars. He can give you tons of technical and historical details of every machine in his garage.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Loved it this week! I used to have a Mk. IV Sprite like Jeremy bought. It's a brilliant little car. (My nick is what I named the car.) And yes, you have to turn the heater on and off under the hood; there's a valve allowing coolant through the heater core. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

Top Gear is great!

BTW, The Stig is certainly not Micheal Shoumacher (yes I know it's quite obvious anyway but I know for sure) because in the closing credits of that episode, it listed The Stig as normal and Micheal as a special guest.
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

The interview with Michael MacIntyre was hilarious.

For the James May fans, you should watch James May Goes to Space (I think that's the title). Great show and he is one lucky guy.
Your momma eats Pop Tarts!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Mr. N wrote:The interview with Michael MacIntyre was hilarious.

For the James May fans, you should watch James May Goes to Space (I think that's the title). Great show and he is one lucky guy.

I saw "James May on the Moon" and "James May on the Edge of Space." Both were on a torrent. Both were utterly brilliant. Why-the-fuck-can't-everything-be-this-good kind of brilliant. A+++ would watch again.

I'm astonished they let him fly in a U2. I've never ever seen any sort of U2 flight documentary and the first thing I ever see is a friggin' Brit who can't drive! It's worthy of a thread of its own, IMO.

U2 trivia: it has a very narrow speed band at altitude outside of which it goes supersonic and destroys itself or stalls, falls, and goes supersonic and destroys itself.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Yes those are the proper names of the show.

And yes that plane is awesome. And to think those pilots get to fly up there several times in their career.

I might have missed it, but how does one get to go up in a U2? Money? Connections?

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 am UTC

Season 1214: Discuss.

I, personally, am moving to Romania. Some one please teach me the language.

Edit: I are an idiots. I hope it was merely a typo, but I drank a bottle of wine while watching the show. :)
Last edited by MotorToad on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

I thought it was season 14? Anyway, last night sounded like they used my music collection for the soundtrack :P I recognized parts from the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs CD playing in the background as well as Stockholm Syndrome by Muse and Coconut by Fever Ray. And the self-made electric car segments were hilarious :D

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

One of the bits of music they played was the theme tune from Moon. I went all warm and fuzzy inside when i recognised it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

frezik

Postby frezik » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Loved the Audi vs 'Vette review, and I wasn't surprised that the Stig got the 'Vette around faster. Hammond and Jeremy are right--the rest of us have no hope of doing the same.

Their attempt at an electric car was one of the weakest pieces they've ever done.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am UTC

frezik wrote:Their attempt at an electric car was one of the weakest pieces they've ever done.

It had me laughing. I was pretty drunk (see "Season 12" above), which may have helped. I don't think they really put all their engineering might into the electric car. As they may have mentioned in the show, they don't care for electric cars and I think their main goal here was to point out the shortcomings.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:00 am UTC

I wish they would hurry up and bring to Australia already.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:30 am UTC

I liked the electric car piece.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

Yeah I thought the electric car piece was one of the best bits of top gear in a while. Especially the testing segment.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

!tuo kooL

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

TheGuyWithTheHat wrote:Top Gear is great!

BTW, The Stig is certainly not Micheal Shoumacher (yes I know it's quite obvious anyway but I know for sure) because in the closing credits of that episode, it listed The Stig as normal and Micheal as a special guest.

The stig is not one person. I'm sure they have a main stig but they also use it to put factory drivers in a suit and let them race their own cars around the tracks. Most car companies are much more comfortable with their own drivers than a guy from a car show. Solution? Never let them see the face. This way they can also take the show on the road and have a local guy who's familar with a track run it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Scuttlebutt a while back was that the main Stig was Ben Collins.

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 am UTC

First off, the Bolivia episode was fantastic. Probably the most genuinely dangerous film they've done, including the Arctic Special.

However, I have to state my disgruntlement with this series overall so far. It's still perfectly watchable, but it seems that Jezza's brand of cocking about has been done to death. When I see other car shows trying to copy the tomfoolery, I just let out a big sigh, but now I'm doing the same for Top Gear itself.

Don't know if I'm just a hopeless dreamer, but I'd like to see a Top Gear with James May in charge. A lot of his other series walk a fine line between entertainment and education (like Big Ideas and Toy Stories) and come out superb. Some of his writings on the Top Gear site (like how to buy an old 911) are also excellent. Then there are a few episodes, like 10x08 where Jezza and May try to find the oldest car with a modern control layout, where May's style of appreciation of engineering is contrasted with Clarkson's boredom once words like "constant mesh transmission" start flying around.

I'm sure ratings would go down from not having such a broad appeal anymore, but I can't help but think it'd be better off at this point.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

jonesparker wrote:I m not big fan of the car show top gear but my brother love it and like to watch it every Saturday. I have also enjoyed some of good stuffs and car stunts in Top gear episodes with him and i truly can say, it is one of the best and an awesome reality series about Car's.

It's not a reality series. Pretty much all of the hilarious hijinks the presenters get up to are scripted.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Pretty much all of the hilarious hijinks the presenters get up to are scripted.

So, it's just like a reality show, then.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

frezik wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Pretty much all of the hilarious hijinks the presenters get up to are scripted.

So, it's just like a reality show, then.

No, a reality show doesn't have hilarious hijinks. They just have hijinks.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:01 am UTC

The Stig has to be some sort of professional driver though. If not that Michael Schumacher guy, someone that's really, really good, maybe even F1... because his lap times consistently destroy the times of the 3 hosts, and they sure as hell have more experience driving exotic supercars than the common man. They're probably the only people around that have driven all (or at least most) of the world's modern supercars. And yet, I'm recalling one episode where Jeremy was driving a porshe and was beaten by the stig in some ugly, front wheel drive Hyundai crossover.

so... whoever It is, it's not just some average joe.

also, their musical choices are awesome. I recognized a Battles song. Who the hell plays battles? nobody.
uhhhh fuck.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

He is a racing driver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig
The identity of Black Stig was revealed to be Perry McCarthy when his book Flat Out, Flat Broke was published in 2002. McCarthy is a former Formula One driver for Andrea Moda. He was also the test driver for the Benetton, Arrows, and Williams teams and also tested for BMW F1.[4][28]
The identity of White Stig has not been officially revealed and is regarded as a carefully guarded secret by the BBC.[35][36] Racing drivers ranging from Julian Bailey,[35][37] Ben Collins,[2][35][38][39][40] Chris Goodwin,[35] Damon Hill,[41][42][43] Heikki Kovalainen,[35] Tim Schrick,[44][45][46], Michael Schumacher,[43][47][48] and Russ Swift[35][39][41] have been speculated as being The Stig at one point or another by the press, other racing drivers, and fans of the show.
Perry McCarthy,[4] Russ Swift,[41] and an unnamed former Stig[35] have claimed that there is more than one driver who plays the role of The Stig. James May claims that there is a clause in The Stig's contract that should his identity be exposed, either through his own willingness or via a member of the Top Gear staff (including the hosts of Top Gear), he has to be fired. Black Stig was let go via this clause; the same clause would apply also to White Stig under the same circumstances.[49]

Top Gear does have excellent music, in addition to Battles, I've heard Pivot, Cinematic Orchestra, and Ammoncontact. It's great.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

I've also heard Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fever Ray and music from Command and Conquer 3 (during the 24 hour race)

jaap

Postby jaap » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

On some other forum they collaborate to work out what the music is in each second of every programme. It's made me aware of some neat music and artists I otherwise wouldn't have known about.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

Wow, that is amazing.

frezik

Postby frezik » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

And the new Reasonably Priced Car is . . .

Spoiler:
. . . a Kia?!!

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Ah crap, I missed the new episode last night :(

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Ah crap, I missed the new episode last night :(

BBC new episode or BBC America new episode? We have to wait a friggin' year.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 am UTC

mosc wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Ah crap, I missed the new episode last night :(

BBC new episode or BBC America new episode? We have to wait a friggin' year.

Suck it up, Yankies. That's exactly the sort of crap we Brits have to put up with to watch American shows.

Alternatively, if you can find a decent enough British proxy, you might be able to watch it on iPlayer.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 am UTC

Well, I already saw the episode. Loved the world cup references :P

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

finalgear.com
Unofficially sanctioned by the producers themselves, since they're aware that some regions just don't get the show otherwise.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

You know, not getting the references to British politicians and other famous people is bad enough. Not getting them because they're a year old is even worse.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

This brings up an interesting thought on piracy. I pirate every episode of Top Gear since I live in the States and even when BBCA finally gets around to broadcasting a new episode, it still has portions cut, and ultimately, I am paying for BBCA whether I watch it or not. With that said, I *would* pay for Top Gear if it were available in some other form such as season DVD releases. I realize that legally, it's no different than any other piracy, but from an ethical standpoint, it's not really the same as downloading a movie instead of going to the theater.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

I download an episode as well if I missed it. I don't really see the harm, since I already paid the BBC so I can watch BBC One and Two (at least I assume my cable provider does...) and they're not missing any income from commercials, since they don't have commercial breaks on the BBC and I doubt Dutch viewers are being considered in the ratings.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

I don't think there's much of a serious market for entire episode series DVD's. About 20% of the content is Jezza/Cptn. Slow/Hamster reviewing the latest Lamborghini - "only this time they added GX rather than ZS" - where they will come to a cinematic drive-by conclusion, that it's no Gumber Apollo.

The big road trip episodes - USA/Bolivia/Arctic/Vietnam, and the more batshit insane episodic challenges they do release on DVD specials, and I think there's probably 1/2 for Stig Power Laps or Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”