Sudden, depressing fictional character revelation

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Sudden, depressing fictional character revelation

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:48 am UTC

[edit] I was right, this doesn't make any goddamn sense, but I don't see a delete button and someone's already quoted the entire post. :( [/edit]

It's ~3AM so pardon me if this doesn't make sense, but... I just realized what a short lifespan animé characters have. Simply put, they die as soon as you finish the last episode/game/book. Assuming, of course, that they aren't still being used in newly-produced episodes, then once you've seen them all, that's it. You never see them again. They're effectively dead. You can re-watch, but that's only memories; it's not the same.

I suppose it being so late and my tendency to get attached to damn near everything is the only reason I care, but still... :shock:

Who wants to go bug the .hack guys? SAVE RENA! <_< >_>

Edited the name, as I think it's an interesting discussion on a broader scale. -ST
Last edited by '; DROP DATABASE;-- on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Sudden, depressing animé revelation

Postby parkaboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:25 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:It's ~3AM so pardon me if this doesn't make sense, but... I just realized what a short lifespan animé characters have. Simply put, they die as soon as you finish the last episode/game/book. Assuming, of course, that they aren't still being used in newly-produced episodes, then once you've seen them all, that's it. You never see them again. They're effectively dead. You can re-watch, but that's only memories; it's not the same.

I suppose it being so late and my tendency to get attached to damn near everything is the only reason I care, but still... :shock:

Who wants to go bug the .hack guys? SAVE RENA! <_< >_>

they. arent. real. they were never alive to begin with. granted watching something a second or third or Nth time is different than the first, its not like you're just reliving fond memories of time shared with a close friend who you have watched being put into a grave. I find the metaphor a little offensive, even.

i find your point ill-thought out and in the wrong section.
Last edited by parkaboy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:a close friend who you have watching being put into a grave.
That's what was missing from that thought. I knew there was something wrong there. Thanks.

Must stop trying to think at 3AM. >_<
Last edited by '; DROP DATABASE;-- on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:32 am UTC

Yet, at the same time, they are eternal. It's just like literature.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:47 am UTC

OK, my brain just booted up again. Any mods feel like getting rid of this steaming load? *facepalm*

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 am UTC

they're dead, not eternal. they're dead, and nothing you can do, aside from writing a sequel that's acctaually as good as the original, can bring them back. but that seems to be beyond modern writing.
It rains on the enemy too!

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:they. arent. real. they were never alive to begin with. granted watching something a second or third or Nth time is different than the first, its not like you're just reliving fond memories of time shared with a close friend who you have watched being put into a grave.

Clearly your interactions with Browncoats/Trekkies and particularily rabid star wars fans are limited!

Edit for spellage.
Last edited by ishikiri on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

While I think that once it's over.. with any fictional character really.. it's not so much as they're dead as it is that they moved to the other end of the country and promised they'd write but never got around to it and while you miss them and all, so much time has passed that you're not even sure what you'd say to them at this point, or what you'd even talk about. I mean, last you heard, they got married and had a kid and work a 9-5 job... you still work a floating shift, aren't dating, and often stay up until 4am. How are you even supposed to relate to that? You could always get back together and maybe it'll be awesome, but deep down you already know it won't be the same.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DJorgensen

Re: Sudden, depressing fictional character revelation

Postby DJorgensen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

I've always disliked endings of series - be it novels, anime, television shows or really any epic story out there.
You do build relationships with the characters, and (in a good story) you experience their experiences. Frankly they often have more dramatic experiences than those reading their story, which also contributes to envy.

At the end, you reach a point where "that's it that's all nothing more to see or do here," and the sudden abrupt end of the relationship can be a mini breakup of sorts. So I've always gotten a bittersweet feeling out of endings. If I liked the character, I feel that I will miss them, but if the story ends with the proper closure at least I know where the character stands in regards to their 'future'.

What I always really hate is stories that end abruptly. For example my girlfriend recently did costumes for a local production of Crimes of the Heart so we watched the movie together. I could not stand how this show ended. It was not good in my mind at all. I couldn't even go to the play because it bothered me. In terms of being a good example of literature, I suppose it is, because I haven't forgotten it, but I still did not like it.

Lord of the Rings on the other hand is most wonderful. I've actually cried at the end of it (novel and movie). I dunno, I guess that I am just like that.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Hey now, I agree with you completely, Drop. I, too, get attached to characters and when they're gone it's something to mourn about.

For instance, my favorite series of books (The Deverry cycle by Katherine Kerr) is coming to a close after, eesh, 15 years? The idea that there is no more to come from these characters is sad bordering on heart breaking. I will miss them.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

God yeah, I'll miss Nevyn so much. I miss him already, even though he's back as Neb.

And yeah, I don't mourn a character when things are finished, but I definitely miss spending time in their world.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Do you mean Kryten? From Red Dwarf, or am I confused?

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Anyway, this was why fanfiction was created :D

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

for those of you who read WOT, try imagining what it would be like, had RJ lived to finish, to read the end and know that you would never see them again.
It's like the girls in harvest moon: you can hit on them, you can, in theory, marry them, but you always walk in on their romantic contacts with others, and it made me really sad to know that if I hadn't been there, they would justy have got on with their lives and larried someone else, being as happy with him as with me. they didn't need me, in the end. I may as well not exist as far as those harvest moon charachters are concerned.
It rains on the enemy too!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Do you mean Kryten? From Red Dwarf, or am I confused?

John Crichton of Farscape.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

pkuky wrote:for those of you who read WOT, try imagining what it would be like, had RJ lived to finish, to read the end and know that you would never see them again.

But you WILL see those characters again. Brandon Sanderson is going to finish the series. So, we won't have to imagine it, it will happen.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Jesse wrote:Do you mean Kryten? From Red Dwarf, or am I confused?

John Crichton of Farscape.

Ah, I really need to watch that ever.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Yes. Yes you do. Like, yesterday you need to watch it. Also, it has an awesome theme song.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

My view are scattered on this. I treat anime character not like people, but as entities. Someone created them with a personality, and voice, and a perceived mind. You can actually make an educated guess how they'd react to a scenario within reason. No they aren't human so to speak, but they are real. Not real in the sense that it's something I can actively maintain a connection with, but it's like the kind of real of that of dead person. You can't be a part of their life, but they'll be a part of yours, and they give a connection that still is nearly as meaningful as the one you can maintain as a friend.

Argue this all you want, when I look at Konata she makes me smile because she's a loving down to earth person. Period. When
Spoiler:
L died
I was tremendously happy since I thought Light could see his new world unveiled, creating not a utopia, but a real meaning of the word justice, not some chalky puffed up crap that we try to believe in. When Satako
Spoiler:
nearly died in season 2
, I bawled myself silly. I never wanted to hug someone like I knew them forever.

I do find myself having profound attachments to these characters. Whatever you decide to call it, there's some kind of interaction between that character's and myself that is real.

With that said, I wouldn't say a character dies... Yet, it is in many ways a memory. The character's purpose has ended in terms of the story, but the character left it's imprint on many other people besides myself. I meet many people who cosplay Haruhi as if they were her. It's not the knowledge but the actual spirit the carry on with themselves.

If anything I treat them as an entity with no solid body. They can be created, but the only way they "die" in my sense of the word is if you totally forget them. For as long as I know, I seriously doubt I'll forget some characters. They brought a lot of insight to me. There are characters out there that feel like they think and feel exactly like I do.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”