Blubb3r3ng3l

Into the Wild

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Had to make the thread.

Selfish?

Selfless?

Enlightened?

Angered?

For those of you who had the pleasure of seeing this film, how did you like it, it's point, and yeah.

Let me put into perspective how much I love this film. It beat out 'The Big Lebowski' for my favorite film of all time.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

segmentation fault

Re: Into the Wild

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

a bit long and drawn out, but was pretty amazing for what it was. nature can be just as cruel as humans.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Mad Cow Bomber

Postby Mad Cow Bomber » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:08 am UTC

While I haven't seen the movie, I'm familiar with the story. Frankly, the kid was an idiot who was either too foolish or too lazy to learn how to live in the wild before starving to death. It's really a cautionary tale, like that Despair.com poster: "It may be that the sole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others." Kinda like that Timothy Treadwell idiot.

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:46 am UTC

I just saw this film a few days ago and I was pretty impressed. I liked how it didn't try to present him as either a wise-beyond-his-years dreamer or a spoilt, stupid rich kid but gave 'both sides of the argument', so to speak, and let you make up your own mind. I thought it used the natural landscapes well and enjoyed all the other characters, with a film like this it could be easy to focus in on the main character and leave the rest of them sloppy badly drawn. The only bit I didn't like so much was the stuff with the old guy at the end, when Alexander was explaining his choices to him he could have been talking directly to the audience, it was a bit obvious.

As for what I think of his choices, I don't know. I'm really torn between idealism and cynicism. On one hand I think what he did was fairly impressive even though he made a few important mistakes towards the end, a lot of people in his position couldn't survive on the road for that long and would turn to drugs and that sort of thing as a way of rebelling against their parents.

On the other hand, his reasons behind it were pretty sloppy, most of the time when he was talking about his parents or society at large he sounded just like Holden Caulfield. His upbringing was bad, but a lot of people have it worse and do better for themselves. Running away and rejecting society/parents and ending up getting killed was stupid and selfish. He had a head-start on life that a lot of people never get, his future wasn't completely mapped out for him and he could have done something much better with his life, he didn't have to turn into the yuppy-type he saw as his future when he was in L.A. He was suffering from a rich-boys idealistic delusions of nature and living off the land and ended up paying for it.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:22 am UTC

This film left me rather heart broken...a film that started with such hope ended on a note of such hopelessness. It's a beautiful film, though, and incredibly well made, and I recommended it to everyone I knew who appreciated good cinema.

I think it was his life to do with it as he wished, and yes, he left devastation in his wake, but in his short time on the planet he possibly got more out of his life than he would have if he kept on the path that was presented to him.

I thought it was beautiful, and thought provoking, and devastating and wonderful.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu May 01, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

Mad Cow Bomber wrote:While I haven't seen the movie, I'm familiar with the story. Frankly, the kid was an idiot who was either too foolish or too lazy to learn how to live in the wild before starving to death. It's really a cautionary tale, like that Despair.com poster: "It may be that the sole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others." Kinda like that Timothy Treadwell idiot.

well the thing is you cant make one mistake no matter how small otherwise youll get bit in the ass. and i mean he survived for 112 days so he must have done something right.

Zero

Postby Zero » Thu May 01, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

He just made one big mistake, one hell of a mistake.
Spoiler:
I guess we can't blame him, they berries were so fucking similar.

I loved the movie though, it's like a spiritual trip. The part where he is eating an apple and looks at the camera was nice, i dont think that ruins the feeling of the movie. And yes, as said before, it's incredibly well made. Kudos for Sean Penn and the actors.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 01, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I read the book, and have the following to say about the kid:

Good on him for getting away and trying something that is scary. That said:

He's an idiot. Beyond idiot. Wilderness survival is NOT about minimalism, it's about preparedness. He was dumb, he was selfish, he was inconsiderate of his entire family. I'm glad he was able to gather the gumption and do something he dreamed about, but,

1) His ideals were foolish, self-righteous, and selfish.
2) His methods were ill-conceived, foolish, and disrespectful to nature/himself/those around him.
3) His death was inevitable, due to foolishness, and hopefully will warn others of being so blatantly stupid in the wilderness.
4) He was FAR from visionary, intelligent, or enlightened.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

Zero wrote:He just made one big mistake, one hell of a mistake.
Spoiler:
I guess we can't blame him, they berries were so fucking similar.

I loved the movie though, it's like a spiritual trip. The part where he is eating an apple and looks at the camera was nice, i dont think that ruins the feeling of the movie. And yes, as said before, it's incredibly well made. Kudos for Sean Penn and the actors.

Actually, best estimates by coroners found the symptoms he likely showed to be related to a fungus that grows on even the edible berries.

To say he wasn't prepared is a bit off. He was a total minimalist, but I think it's incorrect to say that his methods were "disrespectful to nature". Honestly, his biggest mistake was not carrying a map; there was a stocked USFWS cabin and a crossing point both within 5 miles of bus 42. Living well over 100 days in Alaska without anything more than 20 pounds of rice was no accident; he knew his stuff, had done similar trips in the past, on less food than what he brought, and to be frank, he was prepared to leave, and tried to, before his food ran out. Honestly, in his Alaska trip, I truly believe his only true folly was not bringing that map.

In terms of ideals... I'm not prepared to spell out the story of my life quite yet.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 01, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

He did not KNOW his stuff. He survived primarily on the kindness of random strangers. I havn't seen the movie, so I'm not entirely sure how they portrayed things, but the book has him running into a handful of people who basically prevent him from dying.

Minimalism is walking into the alaskan tunda with sneakers, a rifle, and 20 lbs of rice. It is also stupid. You can camp lightly, and still be prepared.

What I meant by disrespectful to nature, is that he went into the wilderness, and thought he could overcome adversity on his own, without having been prepared. You can say he had gone on previous 'trips', but a few weekends in the mountains does not = a winter in alaska, especially without being prepared for it! He should have had a map. He should have had clothes. He should have had means of procuring shelter, food, water... The dude rambles about 'living with nature' and minimal lifestyles where he sustains himself, but ends up sleeping in an abandoned bus, and taking food from hobo's, rides and stuff from truckers...

To be honest, I'm particularly biased against him for his adherence philosophical modes that were unbending, and ostracizing his family, his friends... His FOOLISH deification of beat nit, Kerouac lifestyles. All his journal entries (even what people said about him) make me think of a petulant child who had discovered a few polysyllabic words in a dictionary and felt like he was king.

I do not support his means of camping, nor his philosophy about the wilderness. I do salute him, even revere him for having the balls to realize he was unhappy with something in life, and try and find a means for rectifying that. His was a personal journey that everyone should know about, but had he been less of an idiot, he would have had something to share with us all upon spending some time reflecting, rather then leave a shriveled corpse to serve as a warning against foolhardyness.

If you enjoyed his gig, read My Side of the Mountain, or Hatchet, or White Fang: Call of the Wild...

Oh, and if you want to try something like this for yourself, don't be stupid. Take a NOLS course first, or shack up with someone who knows their shit.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri May 02, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:You can say he had gone on previous 'trips', but a few weekends in the mountains does not = a winter in alaska, especially without being prepared for it!

it was the summer. i think he switched to berries and seeds because animals were starting to migrate/hibernate.

anterovipunen

Postby anterovipunen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I read the book, and have the following to say about the kid:

Good on him for getting away and trying something that is scary. That said:

He's an idiot. Beyond idiot. Wilderness survival is NOT about minimalism, it's about preparedness. He was dumb, he was selfish, he was inconsiderate of his entire family. I'm glad he was able to gather the gumption and do something he dreamed about, but,

1) His ideals were foolish, self-righteous, and selfish.
2) His methods were ill-conceived, foolish, and disrespectful to nature/himself/those around him.
3) His death was inevitable, due to foolishness, and hopefully will warn others of being so blatantly stupid in the wilderness.
4) He was FAR from visionary, intelligent, or enlightened.

I think he would have smiled at that. Its a great story, if you can't relate to it fair enough... he wanted the danger, and he did very well. Go Supertramp!!

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun May 18, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I watched this last night, thanks to CHeMnISTe BOY and throughly enjoyed it. His attitude throughout his whole journey was so self assured, so full of conviction, that it made for very thoughtful viewing. He was very misguided, I guess, with his goal based on his very literal translation of the words of his favourite authors. Awesome name change though.
i dare you to take me on...

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 am UTC

tin wrote:I watched this last night, thanks to CHeMnISTe BOY and throughly enjoyed it. His attitude throughout his whole journey was so self assured, so full of conviction, that it made for very thoughtful viewing. He was very misguided, I guess, with his goal based on his very literal translation of the words of his favourite authors. Awesome name change though.

Why thank you, glad you appreciated my attitude and conviction. Bit strange to refer to us watching a film together as a 'journey' though..

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue May 20, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

Shutuuuuup. I was referring to the main character, dammit!
i dare you to take me on...

Anise

Postby Anise » Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

I liked some of the film, some of it was really beautiful and touching, but it dragged on and became a bit too pretentious for me. That's what I felt whilst watching it, it was a good dedication though.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”