Movies you turned off before you were half-way through.

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Movies you turned off before you were half-way through.

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

Jin Roh. Not because it was bad, but because I was knackered and kept falling asleep. I really ought to watch the rest some time.

Terminator 3. Because it was bad. The only slightly redeeming feature was when Arnie put on those star-shaped pink glasses. The rest was tripe.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

I started to watch New Moon, started to get irritated when she sort of mumbled to her friends (why do they like her exactly?) that she wants to take a picture, then Edward strides across the car park and you have to see that bit it's so fucking bad. Then when she was congratulating Jacob on his big sexy body (weird way to greet an old friend but whatever) I turned it of.

Then the next day I tried to watch some more and I got to the bit where Edward was reciting that quote whilst showing up the teacher and I just couldn't take it.

This weekend I may make it to 20 minutes. Probably not though.

Oh and I started to watch 30 Days of Night but I was tired so I turned it of. I keep meaning to finish it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Repo! The Genetic Opera. It was a great idea in theory, but there was no real plot and the songs were horrible. :|

Also Cars.

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Bourne Supremacy.

I didn't see Bourne Identity, but I did read the books and I liked them a lot. Friends dragged me to the second one.

I understand that it made sense to modernize Bourne and make it contemporary rather than set it in the 80s, but when it became clear that it had nothing to do with a brilliant young languages professor with a profoundly broken brain and his Canadian economist wife, I was like OK movie, you dispensed with the intelligence. I'm done.
text goes where?

masher

Postby masher » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:38 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Around the halfway point, I turned off...

Er, I think this board will kill me for it.

I turned off 2001.

If I hadn't read the book before I saw the movie, I would have had _no_ idea what was going on; so I think I'm with you there...

I turned off one of the Dune movies, I wish I could remember which on it was so I could try out the other one.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: motion picture films for theater and personal home viewi

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

This guy or this guy?

The first is from the 1984 David Lynch film, the second from the 2000 Sci-Fi Special.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

masher wrote:I turned off one of the Dune motion picture films for theater and personal home viewing, I wish I could remember which on it was so I could try out the other one.

I know what you mean. The long and slow movie was made even worse by the fact that I had played the Westwood game before watching and was constantly expecting a 'For the Duke!' from a non-existent character, and the two of them combined ruined the book for me before I had even read it.

glitterbug12

Postby glitterbug12 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Knowing, but only because the creepy little girl in the closet scared me.
Rachel Getting Married, because I dislike confrontation and there was so much awkward tension and... I don't know, watching it made me uncomfortable.
I usually finish movies, though, even if I pay zero attention to them.

TheMaestro

Postby TheMaestro » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 am UTC

Pi, I had seen it once before, but when I tried to watch it with my friend at a sleepover, we couldn't get into it.
The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.
~Eric Schmidt

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:36 am UTC

Wonder Boy - definitely the worst movie I've ever seen, my housemate (who's a massive B-movie fan and watches some unbelievable trash) and I actually left the house to go shopping (at 2am) just to escape from it, as my other housemate felt duty-bound to sit through it to the end...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Vieto wrote:
masher wrote:I turned off one of the Dune motion picture films for theater and personal home viewing, I wish I could remember which on it was so I could try out the other one.

I know what you mean. The long and slow movie was made even worse by the fact that I had played the Westwood game before watching and was constantly expecting a 'For the Duke!' from a non-existent character, and the two of them combined ruined the book for me before I had even read it.

I think I must be the only person in the whole world who actually likes the David Lynch Dune movie. The first time I watched it was when I was about 5, and I couldn't understand wtf was going on except "Oh me yarm BIG SCARY WORM THING", and "FUNNY FLOATING FAT MAN". Then I found the DVD for that film in a bargain bin many many years later. Oh, the nostalgia.

Edit: well whaddaya know... the three latter abbreviation for "oh my god" still has a cheesegrater applied to it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I think I must be the only person in the whole world who actually likes the David Lynch Dune movie.
Let's you and me form a club. "David Lynch's Dune : Not That Terrible, Really!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

reiselaender

Postby reiselaender » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

I didn't turned off, but I've fallen asleep watching Vanilla Sky. If I didn't fell asleep, I would have turned off on it.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

Bloodrayne 2. I didn't even last 5 minutes.

starship666

Postby starship666 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

During The Da Vinci Code I falled asleep. During Perfume: The Story of a Murderer I also turned off.

Carolina

Postby Carolina » Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Bruno! this one of the worst movies that I have seen, maybe I expected it to be funny like borat! but it was so boring! the problem is people in the theater were laughing like non stop! lol maybe I am crazy!
“Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us" By Henrik Tikkanen. ;)

Jailbreak Unlock iPhone

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

Carolina wrote:Bruno! this one of the worst movies that I have seen, maybe I expected it to be funny like borat! but it was so boring! the problem is people in the theater were laughing like non stop! lol maybe I am crazy!
I would think you are! Isn't that great!

Me and a group of friends turned off Epic Movie. Also I suggested it. I felt like shit.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
Carolina wrote:Bruno! this one of the worst movies that I have seen, maybe I expected it to be funny like borat! but it was so boring! the problem is people in the theater were laughing like non stop! lol maybe I am crazy!
I would think you are! Isn't that great!

Me and a group of friends turned off Epic Movie. Also I suggested it. I felt like shit.
I planned on linking the TvTropes page for Seltzer and Friedberg, but I ended just wasting* an hour there. God damn it.

*If you can call it "wasting". :mrgreen:

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 06, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I think I must be the only person in the whole world who actually likes the David Lynch Dune movie.
Let's you and me form a club. "David Lynch's Dune : Not That Terrible, Really!"
I would join this club too. Sure, that version is only vaguely like the book, but that doesn't make it a bad movie (just like the Bourne movies are still good movies, even if they're not the same as the books they're named after).

I do still like the SciFi miniseries version better, though.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 06, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever turned something off. I am very much 'finish what you start', even if I just find it horrid. That said:

Superbad - I spent most of this movie with my face buried in the couch, I couldn't take it anymore.
Borat - I didn't want to see it, but girlfriend convinced me to go. I was in a furious rage that I had paid money for it by the end.
Star Wars: Episode III - I almost walked out. About halfway through the movie it got just interesting enough to keep me there. Apparently it was fairly obvious I was not enjoying it up to that point, as afterward my Dad mentioned he was about to offer me the keys and call me to come get him when it was over.

Veora

Postby Veora » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Eragon.

Which was a total shame as i love the books.
<Witty and funny signature here>

assietom

Postby assietom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 am UTC

I would have to say 'Twilight'. I watched it because my wife wanted me too, but I lasted 10minutes and couldn't handle any more.

jdoner28

Postby jdoner28 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

It is something that I rarely do... but I did it for 3 movies (Sorry directors, but I was unable to keep watching!)

1. Triage : was a very slow movie, to the level that you feel you need to kill yourself!

2. Knocked Up: I had to put the movie on fast forward.... and it never ended!

3. Shark In Venice : Deadly movie... I fell asleep several times before I shutdown my DVD player!

X8Comic

Postby X8Comic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Great subject for a movie thread. There have definitely been a few I HAD to turn off or away from, probably even less than half-way through. Usually that happens when I cant seem to follow a story or because the story bores me. Or because it has the wackiest elements or the lousiest humor you've ever seen. The first ones that come to mind are:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Legend
Fried Green Tomatoes

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 am UTC

X8Comic wrote:Great subject for a movie thread. There have definitely been a few I HAD to turn off or away from, probably even less than half-way through. Usually that happens when I cant seem to follow a story or because the story bores me. Or because it has the wackiest elements or the lousiest humor you've ever seen. The first ones that come to mind are:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Legend
Fried Green Tomatoes

:x

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:16 am UTC

X8Comic wrote:Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
:shock:

Could you elaborate some more on this?

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:25 am UTC

After the first 20 minutes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind becomes not vapid at all. Really, I think I've seen that movie half a dozen times, something I don't usually do with movies. And I don't see movies that could qualify as romance ever really. So I can't understand it, unless you couldn't get through the first twenty minutes.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

I've only turned off one movie, and that was Eragon. And it's important to understand this: I wanted to hate it. I hated the book. I read the entire Agony Booth recap with righteous glee. The story, in all its incarnations, embodies everything that gets under my skin about mainstream fantasy and those with the audacity to compare this overblown teenage fanfic with Tolkien and Pratchett. So when I started the movie, I was in a state of profound, if sadistic, interest.

Forty minutes later, I just didn't care anymore.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:Bourne Supremacy.

I didn't see Bourne Identity, but I did read the books and I liked them a lot. Friends dragged me to the second one.

I understand that it made sense to modernize Bourne and make it contemporary rather than set it in the 80s, but when it became clear that it had nothing to do with a brilliant young languages professor with a profoundly broken brain and his Canadian economist wife, I was like OK movie, you dispensed with the intelligence. I'm done.

Conversely, I read the first Bourne novel after seeing all three films, and although I enjoyed it and it had some good bits I thought it was a shame they left out of the films, I thought it was nowhere near as good as any of the movies. In particular, I remember the romance being much less convincing in the novel (largely because of the number of times Bourne threatens her when they first meet).

And I wouldn't say the films "dispensed with the intelligence"... there seemed to be a consensus among critics that they were among the smartest mainstream action films of recent years, and I'd agree. (As far as spy action films are concerned, certainly more so than the most recent Bond and Mission Impossible films at the time of The Bourne Identity's release in 2002, though that isn't saying much.)

Still, at least your criticisms made a change from the complaints about the camera you usually see from people who disliked Supremacy and Ultimatum!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 am UTC

Amie wrote:Anyway, I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Epic movie". There was NOTHING epic about it. There was no humor and if there was, it was lost on me. Somebody tell Friedberg and Selzer that they're NOT funny. Making a parody requires streaks of genius that these guys totally lack, in my opinion.

The problem with these films is that the format doesn't work. Parody doesn't work like that. Parody is a means to bring the untouchable down a peg, and what you can parody is strictly governed by a series of unspoken rules. It has to be powerful (you can't parody the sick or the homeless, for example), and it must take itself too seriously. When you apply this to film, you can't pick any old film and parody it. You can parody The Godfather, because it's widely acclaimed and takes itself not just a little bit too seriously. And it's been done, too. But you can't parody Spiderman 2, because it's neither particularly acclaimed nor is it taking itself too seriously.

But beyond this very fundamental conceptual mistake, the films are quite poorly written as well, and the actors are hardly top notch either.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:29 am UTC

Resident Evil. It was so full of clichés, and so devoid of any feeling or creativity, that I turned it off after about half an hour.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Lazar wrote:Resident Evil. It was so full of clichés, and so devoid of any feeling or creativity, that I turned it off after about half an hour.
The sequels were decent, but only if you forget that they're part of the Resident Evil franchise.

Omerprime

Postby Omerprime » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Twilight, Napoleon Dynamite, Blades of Glory,Dukes of Hazard: the beginning, Epic Movie, Superhero, Disaster Movie, and Yes Man(Those are the ones I remember.)
ImageImage

Switch31

Postby Switch31 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Miami Vice. That movie was ridiculously hard to follow.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

Stonehenge Apocalypse? I haven't seen it yet, but it's supposed to be So Bad It's Horrible.

jewelford82

Postby jewelford82 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:05 am UTC

goblin_subway wrote:The first two that come to mind.
Napoleon Dynamite
Shrek the Third

The first time I tried to watch Napoleon Dynamite, I turned it off within the first 20 minutes.

After hearing from everyone "how awesome" it was, I finally sat down and watched it. I will say...I should have just stuck to my gut instinct.

The second movie I tried to watch (and couldn't finish) was the one with Johnny Depp where he plays a barber and kills people. ( I can't think of the name now). Anyway, I got through 10 minutes of it before shutting it off. I just couldn't take it!

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 am UTC

I rather liked Sweeney Todd, although it probably helps that I have a crush on Helena Bonham Carter.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Sweeney Todd definitely gets better by the end... The first ten minutes especially aren't that great. It is kind of a weird movie, though, and not everyone likes it.

mplee

Postby mplee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Towelhead.

i thought it was going to be about the struggle of being Muslim in America but it was really about pedophilia. Much too creepy for me.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:30 am UTC

Cars
Dungeons & Dragons
Eden Log
Ultraviolet
Aeon Flux
21 Grams
Drumline
G.I. Joe
Eragon

There are more. Plenty more.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”