Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Postby MotorToad » Wed May 21, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

It's coming soon!

I'm so stoked I can hardly breathe. The original movie was one of my all-time childhood favorites, right up with The Goonies. I only hope it can compare to the original.

Is anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am? Does anyone have an idea if it's the New Awesome Movie or if it's a stinker?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

PatrickRsGhost

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

The only thing I see wrong with it is Shia LeBoeuf. I just can't get past his portrayal as Louis Stevens from "Even Stevens." He was still a kid in "Holes". He was also still a bit of a goof in "Constantine".
PRG

An important message for you:

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed May 21, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Which makes him an excellent Short-Round esque sidekick for Indiana Jones.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Wait, wait, wait...you're going to try to convince me that you actually liked Short Round?

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed May 21, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

I have yet to see an Indiana Jones film in full, though I've seen the greater part of Raiders of the Lost Ark and can appreciate the cult following it has. I'm hoping to see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull with my girlfriend in the next few days; I'm quite looking forward to it.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed May 21, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

I have never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There.

I've said it.

I have seen Temple of Doom several times. Last Crusade I could only tolerate after two or three viewings. It seemed to drag out the longest among the three of them.
PRG

An important message for you:

thisisdavid

Indiana Jones: Balls deep in the whore of movie sequels

Postby thisisdavid » Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 am UTC

Here's a review I tapped out in my rage a few minutes after I got home. enjoy? sleep.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- bad terrible awful bad doubleplus ungood. Is there anything that they could have possibly done worse with this movie? This movie references it's predecessors like it was applying to Yale. Cameo of the Ark of the Covenant? check. That one chick from Raiders of the Lost Ark that I wanted to cull? check. Sean Connery? nope, he smelled this one coming.
First off, Indiana Jones should never be done without Nazis. Set the movie in Argentina if you have to, just get those Neo-Nazis in there. Those KGB chumps they used literally would have been better off shooting straight up in the air and hoping the bullets fell on the unprotected Indy running ten feet in front of them.
This movie was tolerably bad up until the point where Indy gets tossed half a mile in a refrigerator by a nuclear explosion that serves no other purpose in the plot than to do just that. I mean, this is kind of stunt that ends up on the cutting room floor of Wile E. Coyote cartoons.
Oh and by the way, this movie is about- well under the dark possibility that you might actually see this film I won't say, but it certainly was the worst thing they could have ever made it about, bar none. And talk about suspense! I don't even read Mayan and I was decoding the clues faster than Indy, the entire pace of the film seemed to be twiddling it's thumbs while Indy caught up with his audience. The movie came at us in slow motion, guessing the plot twists, or should I say gentle swerves, lost all fun midway through and we had to resort to predicting the next unintended phallic reference.
Along with Indy's age must have come a decreased tolerance for anything dangerous at all, because every obstacle he faces ends up conveniently solving itself (we're driving off a cliff into the Amazon? good thing we're in a BOAT CAR! That chase scene five minutes ago where we almost got pushed off the cliff wasn't perilous at all!). "Octogenarian: The Quest for Jello" would have been more fraught with danger than this stroll through Disneyland. Speaking of Disney, the entire crew of Pirates 3 must have jumped over to this project, because every stunt in the movie would have looked better if they had involved
Johnny Depp in drag and a "we know this is stupid" watermark in the corner.
It isn't the shameless rape of a venerable trilogy that saddens me about this movie, it's the graceless fall of those responsible for it. I refuse to believe that Steven Spielberg, who just ten years ago blessed us with Saving Private Ryan could have been gainfully involved in this project. Even though he pooted out War of the Worlds, I can't believe it. It has to have been George Lucas stamping about the office all day, screaming at Steven, "I WANT AN ARMY OF FRIENDLY MONKEYS TO SAVE INDY FROM THE RUSSIANS HERE" with Steven sheepishly protesting, "But George, you already got your UFOs and Shia Labouf playing Tarzan and mind control, how much more suck can you cram into this movie?" George replies, "Just wait till you see how many wiener jokes I've hidden".
They really should have just cut the middle man and instead of a movie spent $100 million filming George Lucas pee on Steven Spielberg's face, at least that would have been more honest.
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

quintopia

Re: Indiana Jones: Balls deep in the whore of movie sequels

Postby quintopia » Thu May 22, 2008 11:12 am UTC

oh i have a friend who would be interested in you. he and his brother like to write reviews that roll movies in dog shit ten times smellier than the movie itself could possibly be.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

well, it's pretty bad
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu May 22, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

It looks really cheesy from the previews.

Submitted for your approval, I'd like to coin "Odd numbered Indiana Jones movies don't suck."
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat May 24, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

It was an Indiana Jones movie.
Entertaining, and fun.
I liked it a lot.
(wow. That looks like a haiku. It's not, though)

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Sat May 24, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

I, too, really liked it. The premise was kind of lame, but the action and dialog (the things that really matter) were all classic Indiana Jones. It was good. Quite good.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sat May 24, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Yeah, the
Spoiler:
inter-dimensional aliens
were...weird to say the least. Still though, I'm not demanding my money back, and it wasn't the worst couple hours of my life, with a couple truly entertaining moments.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat May 24, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

I thought it was fun, and I didn't really expect more. It had a few truly bizarre moments (up there with emo Spidey dancing on tables in a jazz club) but as a mindless action/adventure flick it worked. It was campy as hell, but at least it wasn't boring.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Sat May 24, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

thisisdavid, implausibility is a motif of the Indiana Jones movies, if you haven't noticed. It's part of what makes them so entertaining. Certainly, it is impossible that someone survive a nuclear explosion simply by hiding in a refrigerator (the fact that it is lead-lined aside), but the amazing scene where he climbs to the top of the hill and sees a towering, writhing mushroom cloud more than makes up for it. In fact, it was almost worth the entire entrance fee just for that single ten-second scene. Which brings me to my next point - some amazing special effects, with two parts that really stand out. The first I have already mentioned, and the second,
Spoiler:
where the temples in the valley disintegrate into a gigantic vortex of swirling rock as the flying saucer emerges,
comes in a close second.

So yes, there are many elements of the film that require suspension of disbelief (like the monkey scene), as well as some iffy dialog interspersed throughout.
Spoiler:
"Where did they go? Space?"
"No - the space between spaces."
is par for the course, but all in all the movie was highly entertaining and definitely worth watching. At very least it was better than The Temple of Doom.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat May 24, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

I liked Temple of Doom.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun May 25, 2008 12:26 am UTC

I saw it last night and I think "campy" is the best one word I've seen in the thread to describe it. While I think most of it fell under the "suspension of disbelief" threshold for a comic-bookish movie, the selective magnetism bugged the fuck out of me. A lot. So the magnets notice dogtags but not the 3500 lb. steel truck it's being loaded into? WTF? And why in the name of Pasta would the TV be on in a nuclear test site? WHY?

I liked the familial closure, and the lead lady looked just enough like her younger self to remind me of when I first saw this movie in the 7th or 8th grade and she was wearing that evening gown... Yeah, I might have watched the movie a couple times more for that than for the action. :D
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun May 25, 2008 1:10 am UTC

I like :D (Ike?)
My best summary is that this is very, very much an Indiana Jones movie. Like it or not, that's what it is. There were, as mentioned above, some seriously cool moments.
Spoiler:
The nuke was absolutely spectacular. I was like all WTF? when he was walking in the door with nobody there, but the instant I was the mannequins it fell into place. WOW! Also, two words: Rocket Sled. The flying boulders at the end were some of the coolest large scale CG I have seen since LoTR.

This film has made me more impressed with the theater's sound system than I can remember. The bass is like Whump! or WRHURAA!, and the mids are like WHAeAAeAA! Yes, I did walk out more than a little dazed.

The only things that really broke my suspension of disbelief (although it was strained a little throughout) were the scenes with the monkeys and the waterfalls.

Afterthought: Nothing is more badass than starting a fight and then using it as cover for an escape.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun May 25, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Afterthought: Nothing is more badass than you and your son starting a fight and then using it as cover for an escape.

Fix'd :)

Thanks for reminding me of the sled scene... that one bugged me, too. If you think the waterfall drops were unrealistic, this scene should send you through the roof!

btarlinian

Postby btarlinian » Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:\
Thanks for reminding me of the sled scene... that one bugged me, too. If you think the waterfall drops were unrealistic, this scene should send you through the roof!

Why would that be the case? Superficially, it seemed like the sled being used was very similar in design to the one used by Col. John Stapp, who experienced the highest g-force a person was ever willingly subjected to. Since Indiana Jones is clearly a bad ass, he should be able to survive a test run of that thing if some lowly colonel in Air Force could. :D

All in all, I thought this was the third worst Indiana Jones movie. The selective magnetism thing really pissed me off at the beginning. (I actually went to it with a bunch of my fellow students, and pretty much the whole theater was booing when he threw the gun powder up in the air.) At least, they had the decency to write it off as some mystical force when Jones III, noticed that the skull attracted a gold coin. The dialog was a bit forced at times (the "space between the spaces" and the scenes between Indy and Marion), but I think it was partially meant to be a self-referential camp-fest, so I can't say it was that bad. In my opinion, it was better than Temple of Doom and probably on par with Last Crusade.

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun May 25, 2008 7:33 am UTC

It's pretty easy to be better than Temple of Doom.

I just realized that if the first three films had not set precedent, nobody would ever take this seriously.

RE: Rocket Sled
If you look around when Indy and the other guy got off, you will see that there is a nice, padded chair attached to the front.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

btarlinian wrote:Why would that be the case? Superficially, it seemed like the sled being used was very similar in design to the one used by Col. John Stapp, who experienced the highest g-force a person was ever willingly subjected to. Since Indiana Jones is clearly a bad ass, he should be able to survive a test run of that thing if some lowly colonel in Air Force could. :D

Right, and our friend Col. Stapp was belted into this thing. Hero and villain were sitting on top of it unsecured. Something about "high g test rig" and "loose objects" doesn't sit well. :) Oh, and it was some sort of rocket on the back with a turbojet intake on the front. That's perhaps a small thing, but still a detail that anyone with a measurable IQ would know better than to present to the world.

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Sun May 25, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

I cannot believe I am so late to this thread. I am a huge Indiana Jones dork (it's my favorite movies/series).

That being said, it was pretty messy for an Indiana Jones movie, but if you can get past the huge let-down of
Spoiler:
aliens (from "the space between spaces" whose "real treasure is knowledge"!!!11!) and the space-ship (MY BAD, I mean anti-grav portal... seriously that's the explanation the novelization is giving)
the rest of it, other than being messy, is awesomely Indy.

So basically, see it once, feel let down, see it twice and it becomes more awesome because you're not expecting awesome, just cheez. =P And Indy.
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Mon May 26, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Mercat wrote:
Spoiler:
aliens (from "the space between spaces" whose "real treasure is knowledge"!!!11!))

After that I was extremely disappointed he didn't look at the screen and say "Knowledge is power!".

But yeah the dialogue was very clumsy. It was very visually stunning, and Shia put on a way better performance than I thought he would.

Some stuff:

Spoiler:
"I'm sorry, I meant drop dead, Comrade!" Possibly the stupidest line ever. And for the nuclear explosion, was it really nessescary? What did it add to the plot in any way? I know they mention it later, but the scene was just stupid. I mean, really, in a fridge? It would have been way more awesome if he had champed it out and escaped on the manequin's bicycle, at least then it would have been stupid awesome.

A lot of the fight and chase scenes were very good, perhaps as good or better than the other movies, but it failed in dialogue and plot. I'd say overall, it was a good movie, but not good enough for an Indiana Jones sequel.

thisisdavid wrote: Those KGB chumps they used literally would have been better off shooting straight up in the air and hoping the bullets fell on the unprotected Indy running ten feet in front of them.

And you act like the Nazis in the other films were better shots?

Afterthought: Can anyone take Neil Flynn seriously now? I saw him as the FBI agent and all I could think was "Oh me yarm Janitor!"
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 am UTC

The thing about all the old movies were that while the end had some crazy religious mishap, and a few things that were a bit iffy, it still had a lot of real stunt work and a lot of things that were more .... "realistic." Fighting on top of a tank thats actually in a desert driving along, yeah. Sure it was on some movie set in the desert, and it was done in multiple takes, but still - you could say "wow, they're on a tank." But in this one

Spoiler:
Swordfighting on cars driving through dense jungle? Monkey rope swinging like Tarzan? The car boat not only lands perfectly in the water, but goes off of THREE different waterfalls?!

EVEN THEN, I would have said "you know, with all the pressure with big CGI movies like Pirates of the Caribbean they had to fold somewhere." But I remember hearing straight from Spielberg that it would be a very low CGI, high emphasis on stunts movie. And they couldn't even find a real gopher to dig a hole.

I'm not even going to touch the plot, on the basis that since religion was in all the old movies, and there can't be Jesus and crystal skull making entities like in this one, it's destroying its own continuity.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon May 26, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:Afterthought: Can anyone take Neil Flynn seriously now? I saw him as the FBI agent and all I could think was "Oh me yarm Janitor!"

Me too...after my brother pointed it out.

So let's talk about the actual skull prop. I think it was quite well done in that it fell way, way down the Uncanny Valley. Every time it was on screen I got a little creeped out. I suppose that skulls in general are a little freaky. Then, they made the skull out of crystal with a funky crinkled silver inside, and a quite oddly shaped cranium. Add to that the fact that it always looked like it was about to eat whatever was in front of it...

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

we're driving off a cliff into the Amazon? good thing we're in a BOAT CAR! That chase scene five minutes ago where we almost got pushed off the cliff wasn't perilous at all!

If you were paying attention, you'll have noticed that Marion actually spots and plans their escape route well before they drive over the cliff.

thisisdavid wrote:well, it's pretty bad

Nah it was totally awesome. You're essentially complaining that an over-the-top, pulp fiction, action movie turned out to be an over-the-top, pulp fiction, action movie.

It sounds like you didn't like the other over-the-top Indy flicks either and that this is not our type of movie. OK. But c'mon, at no point were they ever meant to be reasonable or believable. It's all about high adventure, improbably situations and cliched bad guys.

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:So let's talk about the actual skull prop. I think it was quite well done in that it fell way, way down the Uncanny Valley. Every time it was on screen I got a little creeped out. I suppose that skulls in general are a little freaky. Then, they made the skull out of crystal with a funky crinkled silver inside, and a quite oddly shaped cranium. Add to that the fact that it always looked like it was about to eat whatever was in front of it...

Honestly I couldn't get over the fact that it looked like the the propmaster shoved a bunch of shrinkwrap inside, minus the last few scenes where they digitize the insides to make them all swirly and glow-y.

Overall I don't think it's quite up to par with the first three (Lucas' writing is just weak, and I think he had a lot more revision with the older ones), but if you really (and I mean REALLY, because I didn't the first time) take into account it's supposed to be over-the-top-50's-cheez, it's pretty freaking awesome. =)
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue May 27, 2008 8:58 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:Afterthought: Can anyone take Neil Flynn seriously now? I saw him as the FBI agent and all I could think was "Oh me yarm Janitor!"
I just burst into laughter at that point.

Shia surprised me, I was expecting a lot worse. Quite enjoyed the movie (minus the ending) and loved the 50s-ness of it.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

I enjoyed it.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue May 27, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

The Good:
-50's atmosphere
-Same action-adventure thrill ride
-Acting was all pretty good. The characters are all excellent.

The Bad:
-Suspension of Disbelief is shattered (refrigerator, tarzan, waterfall, etc)
-Story is a little weak on connections. Particularly writing in a triple agent is almost always a bad idea.

I particularly liked the 50s diner scene with the jocks and the greasers. I particularly hated the tarzan scene.

3 out of 4: You'll smile a lot and maybe even cheer but the absurdity of pieces of it really prevent you from getting swept away like you do in "The Last Crusade" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark"
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

I saw it and enjoyed it... but it is the weakest of the tetralogy.

It's just got to much Lucas and not enough Spielberg... The refrigerator, the monkeys... it was just to much.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Wed May 28, 2008 1:29 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Shia surprised me, I was expecting a lot worse. Quite enjoyed the movie (minus the ending) and loved the 50s-ness of it.

I thought he did pretty well. He's the short-round of this movie and maybe he'll get his own spin off. This was really all about Indy's last big adventure.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 am UTC

When I saw Transformers I couldn't understand why Spielberg had such a hardon for the kid. Very meh. But I thought he was great in this. With sweet hair!

Also, the fridge bit wouldn't've bothered me if there was other debris. Actually, that none of the boulders in that end bit were flying out bothered me more.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu May 29, 2008 10:34 am UTC

On the day that it got released a few friends and i watched the original trilogy and then went to the theater to see this one. I think you are all missing the point... Temple of doom is the worst. And it is not because of Mr. Round. No it is the horrible acting of Kate Capshaw. She alone destroyed my suspension of disbelief (that and the jumping out of a plane in a raft... hmm that reminds me of some scene in a more recent Indiana Jones movie that i also hated...).

So was it as good as Raiders or Last Crusade? Hell no. But was it an awesome action movie. Yes. Was it a great popcorn flick. Fuck yes. And for the record i am going to buy this movie when it comes out on dvd because i really did enjoy it
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Wow did that movie suck. Lets hope the we won't be seeing any more of "Indiana Jones and the Ancient Dangerous Thing" anytime soon.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Fri May 30, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:On the day that it got released a few friends and i watched the original trilogy and then went to the theater to see this one. I think you are all missing the point... Temple of doom is the worst. And it is not because of Mr. Round. No it is the horrible acting of Kate Capshaw. She alone destroyed my suspension of disbelief (that and the jumping out of a plane in a raft... hmm that reminds me of some scene in a more recent Indiana Jones movie that i also hated...).

So was it as good as Raiders or Last Crusade? Hell no. But was it an awesome action movie. Yes. Was it a great popcorn flick. Fuck yes. And for the record i am going to buy this movie when it comes out on dvd because i really did enjoy it

Meh, I think the thing that killed temple of doom was the premise. It didn't seem like an Indie movie.

The same with this movie. The dialog was bad and I must agree with what everybody's saying, the tarzan/monkey scene etc. was horrible.
Spoiler:
Does anyone else hate the ending as much as me? I actually liked the beginning, but was cursing the nuke thing. However, I don't even understand why a few things happened at the end, like the villaness who's name isn't memorable enough for me to recall's eye's randomly lighting on fire, or why random people besides her were being sucked into the *snicker* interdimensional portal

I'm going to buy it on dvd, but just because it was an indie movie, I'd say it was an average film though
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri May 30, 2008 3:04 am UTC

AKAnotu wrote:It didn't seem like an Indie movie.
Yes, that's it. On the other hand, it's made me more excited for some more X-Files...

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri May 30, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

It was a great Indiana Jones movie. I don't get why you guys don't like the aliens either, it was set in the 50s, *of course* there are aliens, just like there was Nazi mysticism in the last one.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sat May 31, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:Lets hope the we won't be seeing any more of "Indiana Jones and the Ancient Dangerous Thing" anytime soon.

I fail to see how that's different than any other Indiana Jones movie.

Spoiler:
And I agree the end was pretty bad. It just wasn't a very good conclusion. I don't really understand the role that the person who betrayed Indy was supposed to do. He really didn't seem that important to the plot, even if they tried to make him so. I did think, however, the very end where Indiana Jones snatched the hat from Shia was pretty awesome.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”