Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sarr

Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Sarr » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:23 am UTC

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795 ... 6&cs=1&p=0

Being a great fan of the books, I was ecstatic to know that HBO had picked up the rights to make a Song of Ice and Fire series. Apparently, Martin gets to write one episode a season (each season encompassing about a single book) and the whole thing is going to be filmed in New Zealand.

Anyone else excited? Apprehensive? Any good ideas for casting? Anything that I missed/haven't thought of?
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Sir_Elderberry

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I'd heard about this a while ago, actually. It depends, really, ASOIAF is a really great series, but a very huge one. Characters are everywhere. Can that be adequately captured in television? Well. We'll see. I'm glad they didn't decide to try a movie version though. (Sweet Euler, the thought of them mangling the plot into two hours.)

I think it'll be good. I'm just glad I get HBO.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:35 am UTC

No greenlight yet, but we can hope:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/46002.html

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

It'll probably get cancelled like Carnivale.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Given the book delays, the source material is more than a decade away from completion probably. We'll be lucky if he ever finishes at all given his age and the nature of mortality.

I am also kind of saddened. He talked about film adaptations already in which he equated each book to something the size of the lord of the rings meaning he thought there'd be about 3 moves PER book or 21 in total. No studio is going to do 21 movies...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

souldelay

Postby souldelay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:42 am UTC

As much as I love the books, I can't say I'm really looking forward to there being a tv series. Then again, I don't have much to worry about since I don't get HBO (yay for cheap cable).
I like the images of the characters I have in my head, and as interesting as it would be to see the books played out in real-time on the silver screen, I can't bear to shatter those images and replace them with the face of some unknown actor.
I'm a geek sometimes :X

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Thats one of the main reason I often hate adaptations - how they ruin what you think the character looks like. I could type out a description of a person... say, a Tall, elderly man with short cut black hair streaked with grey and a long beard. Everyone who read that will have a different mental image. Then I take an actor who fits the description, and I bet you he won't fit ANYONE'S image. I hate it.

That said, I still am excited about this.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

ndansmith

Postby ndansmith » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:Thats one of the main reason I often hate adaptations - how they ruin what you think the character looks like.

I realized some time ago that I pictured Robb, Bran, and Arya Stark as the actors who portrayed Pater, Edmund, and Lucy in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was totally subconscious until I saw the Narnia movie again. I realized I must have read A Game of Thrones shortly after seeing Narnia for the first time.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Some news, from George R.R. Martin's blog yesterday.

HBO has given the production order.

They will be filming the pilot episode of A GAME OF THRONES.

It's just the pilot so far. They'll need to see that before they decide whether to proceed with a full season's episodes. So let's all hope the pilot will kick serious ass.

It should. David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series.

More details when I have 'em. The news is very fresh. HBO just issued their own press release, which should be up on their website soon, if it's not there already.

Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:22 am UTC

My experiences with LoTR and others have taught me that movie or tv adaptations almost always ruin the books. My mental picture of LoTR was turned around completely by the movies, and though I read the books several times before seeing the movies, I've never reread them since. Because I enjoy reading books more than I do watching movies or tv series, I will do everything I can to stay away from this.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

I disagree, I really really like LOTR and I really really liked the fellowship movie. The second and third film I felt got a little pompass.

That could be special to the lord of the rings though over most other books as the two most famous Tolkien illustrators, two guys who make CAREERS off of drawing things from those books, BOTH were basically in charge of the design of every set piece. I mean, the front door of bilbo's house is straight out of their work, as is Isengard, etc. That really really helped me not get mad. Also, the casting was fine.

GRRM's background is more in TV anyway. I think this has a better chance as a TV series than as a movie. I guess they could do ~9 1hr episodes a season each corresponding to a book. Course, he'd actually have to finish 5-7 in the next few years. If HBO is smart, they'll be very faithful. Once they do the "real" story, they've basically got themselves a franchise they can do lots of spin-offs on with far more open potential.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

0range

Postby 0range » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:35 am UTC

Personally, I think that in regards to casting, I would prefer talented no-names for most of the lead roles, but a few good fits, at least with my mental imagery:

Commander Mormont or Gregor Clegane: Brian Blessed
The Hound: Colin Farrell
Ned Stark: Liam Neeson
Littlefinger: Kenneth Branagh
Oberyn Martell: Bruce Campbell (what?)
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

It's going to be carried by no-names anyway. Most of the leads are kids. How many actors under 16 can you name?

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Ahah, those books are full of sex, gore, rape, torture, etc. Probably we'll get a nice comfy world where all the people are friends so that the series can make it on prime time and be watched by the whole family

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

...except that it'll be on HBO.

darktan

Postby darktan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:57 am UTC

What kind of gets me about movie/tv adaptations is that I already know the story, so why would I want to see the same story again, simply told in a different format?

I already know that:
Spoiler:
Jaime throws Bran off a tower, that Cersei and Jaime are doing it behind everyone's backs, that Ned bites it in the end.

So in terms of plot, this is going to be pretty boring, for me at least.
I guess what will sell it to me is how well they can bring the characters to life, which I think is going to be pretty hard to do.

I'd be especially interested in who plays Joffrey.
I have to think, who would be the best person to play a smug little shit with an inflated ego?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Ledah wrote:Ahah, those books are full of sex, gore, rape, torture, etc. Probably we'll get a nice comfy world where all the people are friends so that the series can make it on prime time and be watched by the whole family

... Somebody's never watched HBO. Heard of The Sopranos?

Never read the books, never will, can't be fucked. Might be able to at least experience the plot this way if the series turns out any good.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 am UTC

The director has been contracted for the pilot, also one very unsurprising casting choice has been made.

0range

Postby 0range » Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Vellyr wrote:The director has been contracted for the pilot, also one very unsurprising casting choice has been made.

Sweet! Great choice! Now we just need to send Brian Blessed and Liam Neeson back in a time machine to play Robert and Ned.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

Teres

Postby Teres » Sun May 17, 2009 12:09 am UTC

0range wrote:
Vellyr wrote:The director has been contracted for the pilot, also one very unsurprising casting choice has been made.

Sweet! Great choice! Now we just need to send Brian Blessed and Liam Neeson back in a time machine to play Robert and Ned.

The awesomeness of Brian Blessed as Robert would rend the fabric of the universe. I suppose Brian Dennehy or Brendan Gleeson would be acceptable as well.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun May 17, 2009 9:06 am UTC

The Westoros forum has casting threads here:
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=25
which apparently the producers are reading for ideas. So feel free to add anyone you think would be good - you never know, it just might help :)
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:45 am UTC

They've got Sean Bean (Boromir) signed to play Ned :D

Also, Jon, Joffrey, Viserys, and Robert have been cast, but nobody quite as famous in there

http://grrm.livejournal.com/95840.html

Mavas

Postby Mavas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 am UTC

Upon reading this thread, I jizzed my pants a little. My closet nerd is flipping shit.
I love you.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Casting complete (for the pilot, anyway).

I think they've done a pretty good job :) Filming starts on October 24th.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 am UTC

I agree that the casting is good. I don't vehemently disagree with any of the picks.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:27 am UTC

It's going to be weird transition from Lena Headey as total fuck yeah badass to Lena Headey as oh god I hate that cunt.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

I love the job they did on casting, looks very good to me. I particularly like the choice for King Robert; Mark Addy is perfect. :P And it looks like the girls chosen to play Sansa and Anya actually do look alike, except for the hair color. Anyone else think that? (check out the spoiler for larger, better quality images of the ones from the article)
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Richard Madden is going to be quite sexy as Rob Stark. I'm not going to like simultaneously hating and lusting for Jaime.
milk from space is good for you!

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:30 am UTC

neoloidogical Ne-craw-mun-cee, batman!

Who else thinks it's sad that the green light happened like 11 months ago.. at least, that's when Martin's blog said "s' been greenlit!"?

Still, I'm psyched with a P. Joffery's picture makes him look really young. Like, I mean, his character is a whiny bitch, but the kid looks like more whiny-bitch than he should be.
uhhhh fuck.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:10 am UTC

Man I am so stoked for this series. Almost as stoked as I am for... him to finish the last two freaking books! >_<

But seriously. I hope this does well. I'm actually extremely curious who they'd cast for some of the later characters like Brienne of Tarth.

I have to say I'd always pictured older people when I thought of Jon and Robb, maybe that's just my imagination though, I suppose they are fairly young in years.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Spacemilk wrote:And it looks like the girls chosen to play Sansa and Anya actually do look alike, except for the hair color.
Except Sansa and Arya are not supposed to look alike :wink: Sansa got the Tully genes and Arya the Stark ones. But I've seen other pics of the actresses, and they're not allllll that similar.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Who else thinks it's sad that the green light happened like 11 months ago.. at least, that's when Martin's blog said "s' been greenlit!"?

Actually, the green light happened today

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-gree ... ones-.html

The network optioning the franchise happened like 11 months ago. Now we just have to wait a year for them to finish filming it!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

Anyone know if HBO sells current seasons on iTunes? Or do they normally wait until a season is finished before releasing it? I badly want to watch this when it starts, but there's nothing else on HBO I'm interested in, so paying for a subscription would feel like a waste.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:I have to say I'd always pictured older people when I thought of Jon and Robb, maybe that's just my imagination though, I suppose they are fairly young in years.

Weirdly enough they've actually gone and made the children older than they are in the books, probably to avoid issues like
Spoiler:
Daenerys and all her 13 year old sex.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Well yea there are some unfortunately incompatable thems with modern sensibilities there. I really didn't mind them reading the books but I know my girlfriend couldn't get through the second one just because of some of those themes. I can see how they'd want to be careful making it into a tv series.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Subdivisions

Postby Subdivisions » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

I'm pleased to hear Sean Bean (Sharpe, Boromir in LOTR) is playing Ed Stark, as I think he'll play the role brilliantly.
It's just a shame that
Spoiler:
he won't survive beyond the first season.

I too am really excited about the series, I've only started reading the books in the last few months, and have found them brilliant thus far. I just hope the series manages to live up to my expectations! But I'm certainly pleased with the casting, so fingers crossed everything will come together well.
"Soon we'll launch an attack on technology worthy to be chronicled in an anthem by Rush!"

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:07 am UTC

Casting announcements having been coming in waves over the last few weeks, and HBO has just sent out a fact sheet with all the cast so far. Principal photography begins inna week. There are too many announcements to summarise, and the HBO note is too long to post, so I'll just point anyone interested to the sites I follow:
Martin's "Not a Blog"
Winter is Coming Blog

cv4

Postby cv4 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

Robstickle wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:I have to say I'd always pictured older people when I thought of Jon and Robb, maybe that's just my imagination though, I suppose they are fairly young in years.

Weirdly enough they've actually gone and made the children older than they are in the books, probably to avoid issues like
Spoiler:
Daenerys and all her 13 year old sex.

I have to agree with those that said they picture most of the characters as being older. I have only just finished Storm of Swords, but I always think of Sansa as 16ish, not 13 and Jon and Robb as 18-19, not 16. Pretty much every character as 3 or so years older than they actually are.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

really? Cause when he says, in the books, that they're whatever age... imagined them as that age.
except maybe daenerys. to avoid the squick.
uhhhh fuck.

shockwave_9345

Postby shockwave_9345 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:02 am UTC

The way grrm is going the tv series will probably finish before he is done with the novels. I still love the idea of a series though, hopefully they make it last unlike Rome.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”