Favorite Foreign Language Films

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

genesis

Re: Favorite Foreign Language Films

Postby genesis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Apologies for the following self-indulgent post.

Been watching a few Eastern movies as of late, and the nerd inside of me likes to keep lists. It's by no means definitive, and lacks a few of the more recent releases.

Spoiler:
Korean:

2009 Lost Memories
Attack The Gas Station
3-Iron
Bittersweet Life, A
Bichunmmo
Failan
Friend
Guns and Talks
Greenfish
Host, The
JSA Joint Security Area
Libera Me
Musa the Warrior
My Sassy Girl
Memories Of Murder
Nowhere To Hide
Old Boy
Oasis
Public Enemy
Quiet Family - A Ruthless Comedy, The
Save The Green Planet
Shiri
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
Tale Of Two Sisters, A
Taegukgi (The Brotherhood of War)

China (includes HK):

8 Diagram Pole Fighter
36th Chamber of the Shaolin
Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress
Beast Cops
Better Tommorow, A
Better Tommorow 2, A
Blind Shaft
Chinese Odyssey 2002
Devils On The Door Step
Dragon Inn
Drunken Master II
Exiled
Escape From Hong Kong Island
Fallen Angels
Fist Of Legend
Fly Me To Polaris
FullTime Killer
Hard Boiled
In The Mood For Love
Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Iron Monkey
Legend Of Zu
Once Upon a Time in China (first 3)
Police Story
Project A
Slow Fade
Shaolin Soccer
Storm Riders, The
Tai-Chi Master, The
Tricky Brains
A War Named Desire

Japan:

All About Lily Chou Chou
Audition
Azumi
Battle Royale
Bayside Shakedown
Blue Spring
Brother
City of Lost Souls
The Face of Another
Fireworks (Hana-bi)
Glowing Growing
Ichi The Killer
The Grudge
Maborosi
Ping Pong
Ran
Seven Samurai
Space Travelers
Stereo Future
Versus - Ultimate Versus
Visitor Q
Yojimbo
Zatoichi

Thailand:

Ong Bak
Suriyothai

Oh, and:

Assembly
Righteous Ties
Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of The Dragon
THE DEVIL'S GAME aka THE GAME
13 BELOVED
INVISIBLE TARGET
Voice of a murderer
RED CLIFF
City of Violence
Time and Tide
The Warlords
The Chaser

... are pretty decent as well.

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

Aguirre - the Wrath of God
Fitzcarraldo (also a Herzog fan)
Pan's Labyrinth (mentioned by a lot)
Battle of Algiers (haven't seen mentioned yet, I could have missed it)

There are probably more, but those are the ones that I really remember and love.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:Nobody mentioned Oldboy yet? Without a doubt one of my favourite Asian movies. Korean movies in general are very good, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and Lady Vengeance are good. The Host, that was mentioned before, is another Korean gem.

That's funny, I hadn't heard of any of these before but recently happened to watch Oldboy and The Host recently. Yes, they were quite good. Also, when I walk across bridges now, I have this irrational fear of being eaten by giant mutant amphibians. Unfortunately my current hometown is on a river and next to a nuclear power plant.
Fish cannot carry guns.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

I just finished watching Eden Log. Wow, go watch it now.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

pooteeweet wrote:
KingLoser wrote:Nobody mentioned Oldboy yet? Without a doubt one of my favourite Asian movies. Korean movies in general are very good, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and Lady Vengeance are good. The Host, that was mentioned before, is another Korean gem.

That's funny, I hadn't heard of any of these before but recently happened to watch Oldboy and The Host recently. Yes, they were quite good. Also, when I walk across bridges now, I have this irrational fear of being eaten by giant mutant amphibians. Unfortunately my current hometown is on a river and next to a nuclear power plant.

Hahaha! Just remember to stay very... very still. You should check out the rest of them, all good watching material.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Zero

Postby Zero » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:I just finished watching Eden Log. Wow, go watch it now.

WTF, i just watched the trailer, it looks like some really amateur terror film with a cliché plot. What's so "wow" about it?

Ohhh, by the way. Bahman Ghobadi made some sweet movies. Turtles Can Fly is... so sad.

And yesterday I just watched El Orfanato, a spanish movie based on true events . Recommended. Spain is on fire in the cinema industry.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

It's more sci-fi than terror, with homages to many of the great sci-fi films. At many times it's reminiscent of an FPS as well. The lighting and atmosphere is absolutely superb throughout and the performance by Cornillac is probably his best. This is Vestiel's first film as a director, and it shows, but he manages to make a slow-paced film that had me hooked throughout.

Thousand

Postby Thousand » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

ewige wrote:A bout de souffle

Yes. Yes. YES. :D I loved this film, and in fact only watched it a few weeks ago when I got it for my birthday (and Jean-Paul Belmondo is pretty good in it!). I was a bit hesitant at first, because Jean-Luc Godard is one of those directors that you often hear bandied about as "one of the 20th century's greatest directors, a visionary genius!" etc. by film critics, but I'm glad I saw it. (For those searching for it, the English title is Breathless).

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 am UTC

I don't know how no one has mentioned "L'auberge espagnole" and its sequel "Les poupées russes" yet, because they are beeeeeeautiful. I heart them to death, or something. They are the most amusing French language films I have ever seen, with lots of sex, romance, and humor, and I heartily recommend them.
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:Life Is Beautiful.

Holy wow. Incredible movie.

A-fucking-men.

It is one of 3 movies I have bawled during.

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Thousand wrote:

Yes. Yes. YES. :D I loved this film, and in fact only watched it a few weeks ago when I got it for my birthday (and Jean-Paul Belmondo is pretty good in it!). I was a bit hesitant at first, because Jean-Luc Godard is one of those directors that you often hear bandied about as "one of the 20th century's greatest directors, a visionary genius!" etc. by film critics, but I'm glad I saw it. (For those searching for it, the English title is Breathless).

Godard is refreshing if you watch a lot of movies, because he's one of the few directors out there who is willing to say, "Fuck the script, let's just experiment for the hell of it". Breathless is really quite restrained compared to some of his other stuff. I recommend watching "Pierret le Fou", which has that "absolutely anything can happen next" feeling. It doesn't make much sense as a whole, but ceaseless invention can be very fun to watch.

You might also want to try "Contempt", which sort of marries the two, with the mostly sensible story coming from the Breathless side of things, and the cinematic experimentation coming from that side of things, and manages to make them work together pretty well.

Something Awesome

Postby Something Awesome » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I've seen a few neat French films, but the one that I love the most is the semi-recent Wasabi, starring Jean Reno who is a bad-ass French cop that finds out he has a 19 year old daughter in Japan whose mother recently died. Reno proceeds to go there and protect his daughter from the Yakuza and kick ass at DDR.

Thousand

Postby Thousand » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
Thousand wrote:

Godard is refreshing if you watch a lot of movies, because he's one of the few directors out there who is willing to say, "Fuck the script, let's just experiment for the hell of it". Breathless is really quite restrained compared to some of his other stuff. I recommend watching "Pierret le Fou", which has that "absolutely anything can happen next" feeling. It doesn't make much sense as a whole, but ceaseless invention can be very fun to watch.

You might also want to try "Contempt", which sort of marries the two, with the mostly sensible story coming from the Breathless side of things, and the cinematic experimentation coming from that side of things, and manages to make them work together pretty well.

Thanks for the recommendations! I've heard good things about "Pierret le Fou" (mostly it's complete-lack-of-senseness ;D) so I'll definitely have to check it out.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Thanks to whomever suggested Amelie.
That will be the next showing at my foreign films club.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Another one which came to mind when talking about French films was Molière. Enjoyed that one quite a bit at the local theatre.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Malice wrote:Godard is refreshing if you watch a lot of movies, because he's one of the few directors out there who is willing to say, "Fuck the script, let's just experiment for the hell of it". Breathless is really quite restrained compared to some of his other stuff. I recommend watching "Pierret le Fou", which has that "absolutely anything can happen next" feeling. It doesn't make much sense as a whole, but ceaseless invention can be very fun to watch.

My ex-boyfriend and I didn't know "Pierrot" was supposed to make little sense, and basically wondered where the plot was going until the very last scene. We swore off French films at the local theatre after that.
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:29 am UTC

amelie
urusei yatsura 2
castle of cagliostro
hana-bi
porco rosso - the french dub. jean reno was born to voice porco.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:36 am UTC

Probably due to the fact I've not seen many, i would have to go with Run, Lola, Run, which is German. It's an interesting film.
Pride of the South since 1990

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

I am re-watching Chungking Express. Forgotten how much I love this film.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Was that the one with the incredibly long series of coincidences in one sequence?

<snip>
However, it has been quite a few years since I've seen it, but I don't remember incredibly long series of coincidences.
<snip>

Yep, that's the one. It's a kind of 'Butterfly' effect, where a drop of water lands on a spider's web (I think) and causes a sequence of events to unfurl. Aha! Here 'tis. Starts at 2:20.

Malice wrote:Godard is refreshing if you watch a lot of movies, because he's one of the few directors out there who is willing to say, "Fuck the script, let's just experiment for the hell of it". Breathless is really quite restrained compared to some of his other stuff. I recommend watching "Pierret le Fou", which has that "absolutely anything can happen next" feeling. It doesn't make much sense as a whole, but ceaseless invention can be very fun to watch.

Is Pierret le Fou the name of the crazy child-like character with mad fighting skills in Cowboy Bebop?

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Is Pierret le Fou the name of the crazy child-like character with mad fighting skills in Cowboy Bebop?
Yep, the roundy guy with the suit in the fairground. He was named after the film.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 am UTC

My picks are a little more mainstream, as I haven't sought out too many foreign releases. . .:

Shall We Dansu? [Japanese]
Anything by Zhang Yimou (Not One Less, Hero)
Almost anything by Miyazaki (Pretty good dubs but I still prefer to watch the Japanese tracks with subs)
Kung Fu Hustle
This

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”