Cringe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Cringe

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
What, because he can blink? The Observers have been doing that the entire series. He now has an Observer implant, ergo he can blink.

Also, I'll be surprised if he's able to summon a swarm of rats.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
Mostly the whole blinking behind people's backs and murdering them is new. But maybe that's just lack of inspiration from the Observers.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:17 am UTC

Spoiler:
It's better than blinking though because it doesn't seem to be range limited and doesn't have to be line of sight - see the Big Boss Observer blinking outside the radius of an antimatter explosion.

Huge gripe: ANTIMATTER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Peter is losing his hair. Will he grow a trilby in its place? Only time will tell.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
It's better than blinking though because it doesn't seem to be range limited and doesn't have to be line of sight - see the Big Boss Observer blinking outside the radius of an antimatter explosion.

Huge gripe: ANTIMATTER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

Spoiler:
But still. He's running a stabby-murder-opressor-overthrowing-terror vengeance campaign using blink/teleportation. That's a pretty Corvo thing to do, even if Peter leans more towards chemical warfare.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Is it just me or is Joshua Jackson acting much, much worse? I understand that he's doing what he's supposed to, but idk, maybe the transition between the personalities is too fast.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm more bothered by Walter's lucidity and level of fitness. He doesn't seem like the fragile and slightly loopy child that he used to be.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, his brain is whole again.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
Totally expected Observer!Peter was totally expected.

Also, I'm surprised they haven't even mentioned the idea of giving Olivia Cortexiphan and having her go god-mode on the baldies. It might be a bit dangerous considering the last series, but that hasn't stopped the Fringe team before. Obviously the writers want to give Peter the opportunity to have godlike powers as well, but they could've at least given some handwavey explanation why Olivia couldn't get her reality-warping abilities back -- because that would be extremely useful right now.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hitting Ctrl+Z on Peter's observer-implant is just bad writing.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
Hitting Ctrl+Z on Peter's observer-implant is just bad writing.

We haven't actually seen that yet. All we know is the device is gone. The effects might not be gone.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am UTC

I would give my firstborn child to get rid of the serial crap and get the weekly Fringe events back. The last episode irritated me unendingly.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 am UTC

I recently started watching the show. I enjoyed most of seasons one and two, but the season 2 finale didn't do much for me and now I'm two episodes in to season 3 and I just want it to move on. So far I am in agreement that the stand alone episodes are much better.

That's what I liked most about SG-1; if you weren't fond of a story, there was always the next one.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Halfway through season 3 and I have to say:

Spoiler:
HOLY SHIT, THAT LEONARD NIMOY IMPRESSION FUCKING ANNOYING!!!
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Oh God, Fringe is over. :(

While I am not going to say that the ending solves all the show's questions (and to be honest, there's contradictions to the show itself) but holy damn if it didn't get to me. Deep.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Oh God, Fringe is over. :(

Say it ain't so, Cathode Ray Sunshine! Say it ain't so!

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Well...

I enjoyed quite a lot of those last two episodes, but - as often happens when you put some kind of time travel in the mix - I was pretty unsatisfied with the very very end.
Spoiler:
Walter was wiped from existence at the moment the invasion would've happened? Why? Something something paradox something. I know that was supposed to be a happy ending, but aren't Olivia and Peter going to wonder where Walter is? It's *Walter*, they'll think he's got lost, or forgotten where he lives, and they'll search for him and never find him. I find that a tad depressing. Almost as depressing as the rest of Walter's life, all alone in the future. Granted, he'll have the knowledge that they lived out their lives in peace, and that he saved the world, but still...

I felt really satisfied when September said he was taking the boy through, because EVERYTHING started with him distracting Walternate in the first place. Walter always carried the guilt, but the first mistake was September's.

Also - and I know I'm being picky here, but it's the kind of show that asks for it - if the Observers never existed, then September should never have been in Walternate's lab to distract him. Walternate should've seen the chemical reaction (that our Walter saw through the window to the other universe), made the medicine for Peter himself, and healed him himself. Peter should've grown up Over There, never coming over here, and never meeting Olivia. The Cortexiphan trials should never have taken place and Walter and Olivia should (probably) have never met. Peter and Olivia should just not be in a park with Etta.

What bugs me is that I can come up with moderately consistent ways to *get* to the Peter-and-Olivia-happy-ending. All the pieces are there in previous seasons to make it work. This...didn't really. Grrr.

(Oh. And don't even start me on why September was there in the lab in the first place. What was so "important" about Walternate saving Peter? What was so pivotal about that moment in history? Everything Peter did of importance from then on tied back to Walter breaking the universe to save him. Which he wouldn't have done if September hadn't distracted Walternate. So why was he important? THAT'S a paradox...)
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Alder wrote:Well...

I enjoyed quite a lot of those last two episodes, but - as often happens when you put some kind of time travel in the mix - I was pretty unsatisfied with the very very end.
Spoiler:
Walter was wiped from existence at the moment the invasion would've happened? Why? Something something paradox something. I know that was supposed to be a happy ending, but aren't Olivia and Peter going to wonder where Walter is? It's *Walter*, they'll think he's got lost, or forgotten where he lives, and they'll search for him and never find him. I find that a tad depressing. Almost as depressing as the rest of Walter's life, all alone in the future. Granted, he'll have the knowledge that they lived out their lives in peace, and that he saved the world, but still...

I felt really satisfied when September said he was taking the boy through, because EVERYTHING started with him distracting Walternate in the first place. Walter always carried the guilt, but the first mistake was September's.

Also - and I know I'm being picky here, but it's the kind of show that asks for it - if the Observers never existed, then September should never have been in Walternate's lab to distract him. Walternate should've seen the chemical reaction (that our Walter saw through the window to the other universe), made the medicine for Peter himself, and healed him himself. Peter should've grown up Over There, never coming over here, and never meeting Olivia. The Cortexiphan trials should never have taken place and Walter and Olivia should (probably) have never met. Peter and Olivia should just not be in a park with Etta.

What bugs me is that I can come up with moderately consistent ways to *get* to the Peter-and-Olivia-happy-ending. All the pieces are there in previous seasons to make it work. This...didn't really. Grrr.

(Oh. And don't even start me on why September was there in the lab in the first place. What was so "important" about Walternate saving Peter? What was so pivotal about that moment in history? Everything Peter did of importance from then on tied back to Walter breaking the universe to save him. Which he wouldn't have done if September hadn't distracted Walternate. So why was he important? THAT'S a paradox...)

Maybe Walter left a message for September to distract Walternate, in order to get the past they both know about.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 am UTC

mr-mitch wrote:
Alder wrote:Well...

Spoiler:

Maybe Walter left a message for September to distract Walternate, in order to get the past they both know about.

They made it quite clear that to change the future September and Co. would cease to exist. (Because even if humankind still went into the whole 'exapanding their minds' thing, they'd keep their emotions. So the whole future where Observers are grown in a tube is gone.)

And even if that wasn't the case, the one great regret of Walter's life, the thing he carries so much guilt for, is crossing over to the other universe and coming close to destroying both of them. Thousands of people trapped in amber on the Other Side, dozens, if not hundreds, dead as a result of fringe events over there. (And here too, come to that.) If there was one thing he wouldn't do, it would be deliberately start that chain of events!
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Alder wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I have been thinking about that since the moment they revealed what the big plan was. I figured that when Peter ceased to exist at the end of Season 3 and then inexplicably came back, it made everything that happened before that point null and void. Technically, now, Peter never made it past that drowning where September saved him, so everything back then wouldn't be changed.

Also, I'm super pissed they never explained why Michael just walked off the train. And I didn't get that finger to the mouth thing. He filled me with wonder, but not the kind I enjoy in a series finale.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, I'm super pissed they never explained why Michael just walked off the train. And I didn't get that finger to the mouth thing. He filled me with wonder, but not the kind I enjoy in a series finale.

Spoiler:
They didn't explain ANY of the odd quirks the kid had. And they didn't explain why there aren't any female observers. And they didn't explain why all the observers dress in suits and hats. And they didn't explain why the one (or was it several?) observer was beginning to experience emotions. And they didn't explain what the heck the point was of making Peter an observer for those few episodes.

I was kind of hoping that the Finale would lead back into the Monster-A-Week structure that everybody wanted to make a comeback. Shame the show had to end.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
They didn't explain ANY of the odd quirks the kid had. And they didn't explain why there aren't any female observers. And they didn't explain why all the observers dress in suits and hats. And they didn't explain why the one (or was it several?) observer was beginning to experience emotions. And they didn't explain what the heck the point was of making Peter an observer for those few episodes.

Spoiler:
1. The kid's brain was different. My theory is that his brain determined that cognitive and emotional function was necessary, but speaking was not, especially when you can just touch someone and figure stuff out. The obvious limitation of that is that you can't communicate across long distances. Oh, well. More questions.
2. The writers are sexist! Obviously, the male brain is evolutionarily better than the female one, and the only purpose for females was reproduction, which they already have taken care of. (Besides, can you imagine how difficult it would be to find a large pool of actresses willing to shave their heads like that?)
3. Fashion of 2607. Simple and practical.
4. It was all 12 of the Observers that came back with the month names. They got emotions by being exposed to them for such a long time. Which is a normal human thing. They are still considered humans, right?
5. Bad writing. Stupid bad writing. Also, bad writing: amping up the emotional content in the last few episodes to make a more stark contrast to the Observers. That only irritated me. This is a show for Thinkers. Don't write the show to cater to Feelers. It annoys me.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
1. The kid's brain was different. My theory is that his brain determined that cognitive and emotional function was necessary, but speaking was not, especially when you can just touch someone and figure stuff out. The obvious limitation of that is that you can't communicate across long distances. Oh, well. More questions.
2. The writers are sexist! Obviously, the male brain is evolutionarily better than the female one, and the only purpose for females was reproduction, which they already have taken care of. (Besides, can you imagine how difficult it would be to find a large pool of actresses willing to shave their heads like that?)
3. Fashion of 2607. Simple and practical.
4. It was all 12 of the Observers that came back with the month names. They got emotions by being exposed to them for such a long time. Which is a normal human thing. They are still considered humans, right?
5. Bad writing. Stupid bad writing. Also, bad writing: amping up the emotional content in the last few episodes to make a more stark contrast to the Observers. That only irritated me. This is a show for Thinkers. Don't write the show to cater to Feelers. It annoys me.

Spoiler:
1. I don't remember all of them, but there were a whole bunch of odd things he did besides not speaking. I can't think of too many off the top of my head but watching a screen that was just static was the most stark example. I think I remember him playing with a piece of the machine at one point. I guess the complexity of television waves coming together to create what we see as randomness could be interesting to someone with pretty much infinite brainpower.
2. As good an explanation as any. I'll take it.
3. Okay, I'll give you that. Observer fashion does have an incredible combination of slick and creepy. But seriously, ties, belts, hats, coats, buttons, they're all aesthetic additions. Since when have Observers cared about silly things like "looking good"? There's no logic in that. I'd expect an emotionless race to wear one layer of clothing (or two I guess if you want pockets) that fits their forms as closely as possible without any unnecessary ornamentation.
4. Ok, I must have missed that part. The one Big Baddie was one of the twelve I assume.

This is a show for Thinkers. Don't write the show to cater to Feelers.

VERY well put. Thank you. This happens far too often in thinky shows.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Regarding the observers' fashion sense:

Spoiler:
I originally assumed they were wearing those grey suits and grey trilbies in an attempt to blend in with the native population. I mean, if you time travelled back to the 15th century, chances are you'd probably get the fashion slightly wrong too, just as the observers' clothes looked slightly out of place in the 21st century.

However, in this final series, we saw observers in their own time-zone wearing grey suits and grey trilbies. So I don't know any more. The hats are obviously functional - they're bald so they have to keep their heads warm. The suits - well they clearly like to co-ordinate colours. And apparently, men's fashion hasn't changed for 600 years.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 am UTC

I noticed that about the cars and the phones, too.

@Kate
Spoiler:
Windmark (the Big Baddie) wasn't one of the 12. He just spent a lot of time in an era with emotions also, so he also inherited some, well, one. It's just peer pressure.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 am UTC

Just finished the series, figured I'd poke here;

Worst final season since BSG. I absolutely loathe it when a show uses time skipping to just sort of erase everything that's happened, "haaaa, just kidding, it didn't matter!", and this was particularly egregious since season 4 was basically playing with that idea, poorly, and season 5 concludes with
Spoiler:
a time wipe erasing all of season 5

Feh. So many loose ends, such poor final execution, such a weird and wholly unnecessary departure from the still extremely rich multiverse plot line. The last season was just all over the place, and season four was kind of just all over the place as well.

Some questions;
1. What were with the discs implanted in the palms of a few people in season 1?
2. Why didn't the observers invade the other universe? And... I guess that universe is fine after the bridge was closed?
Spoiler:
Who cares about the Tulip, since Walter doesn't know who it's from, and Peter doesn't know Walter received it?

4. Why did Bell purportedly sell out to the observers? It was so glossed over, I didn't even catch it.
5. Damn John Noble, you can act.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”