Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Postby mosc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

PyroniusRex wrote:I hate how everyone says that the originals are always best, wrong they're the first to come out, and this is a continuation of the last series (though I don't know how Ventress survived). I think they're funny though it's unfair that they can't do shit, my favorite scene was when there were 2 fire fighting battle droids who couldn't hold a hose.

I don't know how you can be so broad about it. Originals are not always better than sequels. It's not like this Clone Wars series is a Sequel either. I mean, you're talking about a license with 6 movies (or more mattering on what you count), about 100 video games, a series of series of novels, etc.

Droids are emotionless. That's a major theme through almost all of that plethora of content in a variety of media. They serve to bring in all those great man vs machine themes and to show the contrast between an emotionally withdrawn Jedi and a complete automaton. The meaning in the themes that make star wars interesting start going out the window when you have bumbling drones, all clones showing varying personalities, Jedi who act like emotional children, and stereotypical villains who give "I'll get you next time" speeches.

Star Wars at it's core is a western. It presents morality and shows it's applications on epic scales. This latest Clone Wars series is a cash-in children's cartoon where good is a nebulous conglomeration of utilitarian dribble and evil reduced to being mean. That's why the original is so much better.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:52 am UTC

Klapaucius wrote:
PyroniusRex wrote:Eh, hey what do the 501st do they were mentioned an episode ago and they are in TFU, though they are Stormtroopers in there...

In Episode III they're Lord Vader's personal legion of troops--they're the ones who help him storm the Jedi Temple.
There's actually a very interesting story behind them--the 501st is a nationwide group of Star Wars cosplayers that Lucas actually made canonical out of admiration.

Awww, Rex annhilated the younglings too... I hate that but at least he's awesome right now.
(Favorite Quote)
Kit Fisto's Padawan: You can't defeat us all.
General Grievous: OF COURSE I CAN!!!

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Their loyalty is to Palpatine first and the Jedi second. They weren't made to question orders, they were made to follow them.

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:Their loyalty is to Palpatine first and the Jedi second. They weren't made to question orders, they were made to follow them.

I guess, hey whats your favorite clone quote? Mine is:

Commander Cody: "I got one!"

Shiny: "Sorry Commander, that was my shot."

CC: "Like hell it was!"

I actually verbally laughed at that.
(Favorite Quote)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Klapaucius wrote:
PyroniusRex wrote:Eh, hey what do the 501st do they were mentioned an episode ago and they are in TFU, though they are Stormtroopers in there...

In Episode III they're Lord Vader's personal legion of troops--they're the ones who help him storm the Jedi Temple.
There's actually a very interesting story behind them--the 501st is a nationwide group of Star Wars cosplayers that Lucas actually made canonical out of admiration.

I don't know the canon status of it, but Star Wars Battlefront II's campaign is essentially their story.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

While we're talking about them...

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20080506

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:31 am UTC

man, i've been meaning to watch the episodes and/or rent the movie. it looks like a decent addition to the SW franchise. i'm just looking forward to seeing Grevious again. his death in ep. III kinda sucked. i mean, you give a guy 4 arms and kick-a lightsaber skills, and you shoot him. that's gotta be illegal.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:10 am UTC

mosc wrote:Droids are emotionless.
Really? One can go back to the begining of this plethora of content to find the first major characters to ever be seen on the screen are none other than bumbling idiot droid C3P0 who also happens to worry a lot and (maybe it's just me, but) sad and heroic R2-D2.

videogamesizzle wrote:i mean, you give a guy 4 arms and kick-a lightsaber skills, and you shoot him. that's gotta be illegal.
I don't know about illegal, but it is uncivilized.

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:41 am UTC

I don't know about illegal, but it is uncivilized.

Which makes Obi-Wan a hypocrite!
Last edited by PyroniusRex on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
(Favorite Quote)

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:43 am UTC

PyroniusRex wrote:Which makes Obi-Wan a hypocrite!
Hey, he admitted it was uncivilized himself when he shot him. :)

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

theonlyjett wrote:

If only. Did anyone else think that the astromech-droid fight scene between R2 and R3 was pretty funny? On Friday I only caught the end of the episode where R2 cut R3 off and I was thinking, "What a bitch!" but then this morning it became clear to me that R2 is really the only astro-droid with any guts.
(Favorite Quote)

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:56 am UTC

This week's episode is going to suck.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

theonlyjett wrote:

Obi-Wan is a huge hypocrite. Take this infamous line from Episode III:

Obi-Wan, to Anakin, wrote:Only the Sith deal in absolutes!

Just... unravel that in your head. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to realize the deep meta-stupidity.
500%!

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:This week's episode is going to suck.

The Jar-Jar one? Maybe not, at least not if they pull it off right but most likely they will make it full of corny, "Haha! He fell on hist ass!", humor. I like Jar-Jar but I'm a little scared about this one.
(Favorite Quote)

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

PyroniusRex wrote:
Kazuke wrote:This week's episode is going to suck.

The Jar-Jar one? Maybe not, at least not if they pull it off right but most likely they will make it full of corny, "Haha! He fell on hist ass!", humor. I like Jar-Jar but I'm a little scared about this one.

They've got Jar-Jar in an assassin's cloak a la Anakin slaying the younglings. It looks like the humor is going to come from Jar-Jar trying to be badass, in both his spectacular failures, and the things he'll somehow actually manage to get right.
500%!

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

It's just that the episode focuses on my three least favorite star wars characters. There's not much there for me to car about. Bleh.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

*Revival Double-post of doom avoidance*

Ahsoka's behavior was really out of character for her in last Friday's episode. It bugged me. A lot.

But it was nice to see Ventress again.

This Friday's episode looks like it's gonna be pretty good. Kit Fisto FTW!

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

I thought Ahsoka's behaivior was enlightening. It seems to me that Anakin certainly isn't pushing the whole advoidence of strong emotion teachings on her. A little of his internal anger rubbing off on her, also. But it did seem to pop up a little strong, I'll give you that.

It was nice to see Ventress win. I mean, obviously when pitted against Obiwan and Anakin, she's bound to lose almost everytime, but it makes her feel weaker everytime we see that. She was much more bad ass this time in comparison to other Jedi Masters.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Kit Fisto had a Jamaican accent.

I totally should have seen that coming.

Next time on clone Wars: ANAKIN AND OBI-WAN TAKE ON EVERY BADDIE IN THE GALAXY, WITHOUT LIGHTSABRES!

Hilarity ensues.

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 am UTC

Finally back from the Philipines(vacation), how many episodes did I miss the last one I saw was with Jar-Jar.
(Favorite Quote)

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:06 am UTC

George Takei, in my clone Wars?

It's more likely than you think. ;P

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Hey did anyone else notice Aayla Secura had an accent, though in SWBF2 she had no accent?
(Favorite Quote)

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

I liked the non-violent monkey dudes. That last episode had more star wars in it than most of them have.

I have to say though, I grimaced when they had the villain giving a speech to a bunch of droid foot soldiers. The lines they draw between Humaniod life -> Clone -> Droid -> Rock I can barely follow. It ruins so much of the show. When morality is supposed to be center stage as the Jedi's true weapon and you have sympathetic droids getting slaughtered by the thousand, you have issues. Again, it reduces the range of good vs evil to Team A vs Team B (that tends to do mean things).
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

I really enjoyed the latest, alot of politics and stuff, and there were some awesome vehicles and clone wardrobe.
(Favorite Quote)

Orca

Postby Orca » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

I was frankly disappointed in it. I agree with the 'demeaning to anyone over the age of 12'. It seemed too childish to deserve an entire movie. When Lucas originally made the series he said it would be for all ages, yet it seemed to massively shift in this movie to the 15 and Under age group. Plus droids = droids. Not people with morale variables. Clones = cloned soliders. They go a bit overboard on these trying to make clones seem like real people, that droids have feelings and need a morale boost, et cetera.
Of course I am a bit biased because CGI always looks fake and blocky to me, which means it doesn't seem as good.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Orca wrote:I was frankly disappointed in it. I agree with the 'demeaning to anyone over the age of 12'. It seemed too childish to deserve an entire movie. When Lucas originally made the series he said it would be for all ages, yet it seemed to massively shift in this movie to the 15 and Under age group. Plus droids = droids. Not people with morale variables. Clones = cloned soliders. They go a bit overboard on these trying to make clones seem like real people, that droids have feelings and need a morale boost, et cetera.
Of course I am a bit biased because CGI always looks fake and blocky to me, which means it doesn't seem as good.

I consider it the ultimate season premiere, because it was meant to be treated more like an episode than a real movie.
(Favorite Quote)

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

ftlist wrote:star wars , my favorite movie .

Great to hear you like that, but we're talking about the Animated series's so please stay on topic.
(Favorite Quote)

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

You haven't seen Blade Runner, have you?
500%!

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:19 am UTC

I wonder if the writers are aware that "cleaning your weapon" is the perfect euphemism for masturbation...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

PyroniusRex wrote:

Great to hear you like that, but we're talking about the Animated series's so please stay on topic.
Klapaucius wrote:You haven't seen Blade Runner, have you?
Lemme preface this by saying that no, I'm not mad at you, but....

Protip: If a user with a low post count posts seeming barely on-topic gibberish of a line or so and has a signature that links to some website... it's probably a bot and will be deleted soon, so just report it then ignore it until it's straightened out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”