Why Chuck Is Awesome [Spoilers]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ProZac

Re: Why Chuck Is Awesome [Spoilers]

Postby ProZac » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:What I liked was
Spoiler:
when Shaw was fighting the Ring agents, I thought: 'Well, this looks fake.' And it turned out it was fake

I'm also glad Shaw didn't try to kill her right away, because I thought that wouldn't be like him. He's shown to be level-headed and in control, so blowing out and killing Sarah wouldn't be like him. So I was kind of disappointed he tried to though. Then again, he did say it wasn't because of Sarah, but to get back at the CIA. Still, I found it a pretty weird decision to go and say: 'Hey, let's do a 180 and help the Ring, who I know are unspeakably evil'.
I guess this was the only way to get rid of Shaw other than a heroic death, but that wouldn't have brought Sarah around.

And wow, Chuck killed someone!

Spoiler:
Well, Shaw was working with the ring at one point, and from his point of view, the CIA killed his wife, which kinda makes them the bad guys. I found the whole lead up to Chuck shooting him to be quite epic. I think the whole ending just made sense, save the one thing I mentioned earlier. Shaw's death served many purposes. I was kinda surprised they didn't play up the fact that Chuck kinda had a personal relationship with Shaw but still killed him. I would think thats harder than killing some guy you know to be a traitor.

korora

Postby korora » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 am UTC

ProZac wrote: Something I did feel was a little odd though:
Spoiler:
Did they ever explain why Shaw's wife was Sarah's target? I mean, they didn't have Chuck just go kill some random person for his test, it was a traitor. You would think there'd be a similar explanation for Shaw's wife, though they never touch on that at all, as far as I remember.
Be interesting to see how the next few episodes aren't tacked on. I think I'm going to go at it from the perspective of a mini-season/bonus episodes, as I don't see how they can keep going with the current theme/story of season 3.
Beckman mentioned that Shaw's wife was thought to have been turned by the Ring. Also io9 says that the next 6 are indeed miniseriesesque.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:What I liked was
Spoiler:
when Shaw was fighting the Ring agents, I thought: 'Well, this looks fake.' And it turned out it was fake

Spoiler:
Well you see I was thinking that when they did a close-up on him and the gun wasn't smoking, but pegged it down to incontinuity. Then again, in all other situations where a gun has been fired they have had smoke from it...

But yes, fantastic episode, great pace and tension, nice epic climax and cuddly wuddly ending. I'm happy.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

Hey, the new episodes are on now. Watched the first last night, and surprisingly, was quite pleased. They've managed to continue it on, without making it feel exceptionally strange or forced. Morgan as an addition to the team is turning out quite better than I thought too. He's not just there to be a nuisance.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Tue May 18, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

Good buildup to the season finale, a showdown of epic proportions methinks..

Also being renewed for 13 episodes + option for 9 extra next year, looking good :D

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue May 25, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Well, that was pretty awesome.

Spoiler:
Anyone else think Orion isn't dead yet? I mean, he was shot meters from the cellular regeneration chamber that revived Shaw

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed May 26, 2010 9:13 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Well, that was pretty awesome.

Spoiler:
Anyone else think Orion isn't dead yet? I mean, he was shot meters from the cellular regeneration chamber that revived Shaw.

Spoiler:
I was constantly thinking that. Also note that he was shot in almost exactly the same place as Chuck shot Shaw.

So um, is Chuck going to not be a CIA agent, but end up doing freelance espionage work? So he's going to be a spy vigilante? I could live with that. It would be a shame if General Beckmann was no longer featured though.

mowdownjoe

Postby mowdownjoe » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

Bump for new season!

So, the new season kicked off recently, and I must say, it's so far, so promising. It's nice to see Chuck as Mr. Competent Spy, especially after last season. And we still get Morgan tagging along just for the sake of having someone that doesn't quite know what to do.
Spoiler:
Looking forward to seeing how this arc with Chuck's mom works out. Also a little disappointed that Chuck is still with the CIA, although at least anything related to his mom will be done off the radar.

Also, VANDELAY INDUSTRIES!

PerryDigital

Postby PerryDigital » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

For a show I never thought would stand up and be accepted by a network for more than a season, it's amazing. Thanks in no small part to Levi himself. I thought the new premiere was ace, I love Chuck :D

For added awesome: Castle @ Castle ;)

I stole the sun and it's raining outside. I stole the sun and I ain't givin' him to anyone.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Was that Old Spice Guy?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

Yeah. Isaiah Mustafa was on last night's episode. I hope he's in more.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 am UTC

lol the diamonds are now spies

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Yeah. Isaiah Mustafa was on last night's episode. I hope he's in more.

I think each week they are going to have a different CIA/Buy More guest star, the first week was Olivia Munn, the second week was Isaiah (who was awesome). I don't think he will be back, but we should expect some more pretty cool people for geek fanservice.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Yeah. Isaiah Mustafa was on last night's episode. I hope he's in more.

I think each week they are going to have a different CIA/Buy More guest star, the first week was Olivia Munn, the second week was Isaiah (who was awesome). I don't think he will be back, but we should expect some more pretty cool people for geek fanservice.

Nathan Fillion? Summer Glau?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Sean Maher, in the same fancy suit and red glasses that he wore in the pilot.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 am UTC

Chuck is still awesome, the latest episode was a fun one, revisiting a fun character from the previous season.
Spoiler:
Costa Gravas calls once more!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Plus the Awesome statue.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

I didn't particularly like the last episode, but the Captain Awesome statue really made me happy.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

OSHI-

...Okay, the ending was a touch predictable, I guess. Still, there has been far less clever deliveries of plot points than that :)

Also, seeing Morgan be a BAMF was pretty cool.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I saw no problem with the ending. Morgan needed a break after living in terror of Casey. Also, zombie-Casey choke-hold was awesome!
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

judy85

Postby judy85 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 am UTC

i super love CHuck and Zachary Levi! this is awesome thread! :oops:

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:32 am UTC

Is it just me or is the fanservice a lot worse this season? The last two episodes I've tried to watch, I had quit in the middle because it was getting so bad. I'm not really sure I feel inclined to come back, now. :?

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

Masily box wrote:Is it just me or is the fanservice a lot worse this season? The last two episodes I've tried to watch, I had quit in the middle because it was getting so bad. I'm not really sure I feel inclined to come back, now. :?

No, I don't think the fan service is any worse or the camera's gaze any male-er in this season than any of the previous ones. Does no one recall the Weinerlicious costume? Or the redheaded Swedish model? That appeared twice before people liked her so much the first time? Or the opening sequence of the 3D episode? Or...well, I think you get the point.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Oh, I'm certainly not forgetting the previous seasons. Somehow I tolerated them, cause I love the show so much, but for whatever reason I can't take it any more... So I was wondering if it's the show, or it's just me. I guess it's just me. :(

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

How did I not recognize Summer Glau immediately? A Buy More costume looks good on her...

Spoiler:
Too bad the cool psych got killed

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
Until Rob Riggle fell off the cable car, I was pretty sure the whole thing was a CIA-organized test mission. That's why he always seemed to know what was going on, including the combination to the diamond thing. Also explains the fake Russian accent. I was waiting for him to get fake-killed all episode, to make Chuck panic. It's still possible that that was the plan, but the Belgian went rogue and actually shot him to get the intersect.

Liked the Firefly references:
Spoiler:
"I don't know what crew you were on before", and Summer Glau slashing someone with a knife.

Apparently Castle had one this week as well. Wonder if they coordinated that.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

This bothers me about Chuck.

General Beckman has the same eyes as Robert Patrick (T-1000 in Terminator 2, Doggett in the last season of X-Files.) This is also alarming as Sarah Connor is in the show in S4.
Chuck sometimes looks uncannily a lot like Seinfeld.
Ellie looks a lot like someone I can't identify, which bothers me a lot. Also, her rapid eye movement thing is annoying.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:01 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Ellie looks a lot like someone I can't identify, which bothers me a lot.

I don't know if this helps, but she was "Gift Shop Girl" on Scrubs.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

I've just started rewatching Chuck from the beginning (finally caved and got season 1 on dvd) and I'm really surprised at how much it's changed, both the characters and even the look of the show.
There's real antagonism between Sarah and Casey, which I'm finding weird after their completely different attitude from the most recent seasons, and I *think* they seem to be using a docu-drama-type shaky cam whenever the scenes are Chuck's real life. It's bugging me a *lot*, don't know why I didn't really notice it the first time through...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Alder wrote:I've just started rewatching Chuck from the beginning (finally caved and got season 1 on dvd) and I'm really surprised at how much it's changed, both the characters and even the look of the show.
There's real antagonism between Sarah and Casey, which I'm finding weird after their completely different attitude from the most recent seasons, and I *think* they seem to be using a docu-drama-type shaky cam whenever the scenes are Chuck's real life. It's bugging me a *lot*, don't know why I didn't really notice it the first time through...

Saw season 1 fairly recently as well, and I agree with both points. There are more differences, Morgan was a friend and equal to Chuck back then, instead of the loser wannabe type guy he turns into later.

The show pretty is good on DVD. There are several in-jokes that are hard to spot if you don't. The fact that Chuck always uses spastic colon as an excuse why a person is absent went way past me on TV.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Saw season 1 fairly recently as well, and I agree with both points. There are more differences, Morgan was a friend and equal to Chuck back then, instead of the loser wannabe type guy he turns into later.

Hmmm, now *that* is an interesting point, since I was seeing it the exact other way around. I'm just about to watch episode 10 (I've got a pal online who's been watching at the same time, which is fun) and in these early episodes Morgan has been creeping me out... He seems much more on a par with Lester and Jeff at the moment, the obsession with Ellie is freaky, he's even more possessive about Chuck himself. I'm finding it odd 'cause Morgan developed into one of my favourite characters, and at the moment I'm not liking him much at all. A little. But not much.

And it looks like the shaky-cam thing they were doing is gone, thank goodness.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Concerning Timothy Dalton in the most recent episode
Spoiler:
It was pretty awesome the first episode he was in, just because, hey, Timothy Dalton. But holy shit did he bring his A-game to the most recent episode. He did a great job at the psychotic Volkoff. Charismatic. Creepy. Frightening. Check check check. I can't wait to see more!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
He's better at being Volkoff than he was at being Bond.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

You should check him out in Hot Fuzz if you haven't already. Plays brilliantly there as well

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:01 am UTC

God damn it. I can deal with product placement, but really, "I uploaded it to SKYDRIVE!" Really?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 am UTC

So the over the top dialogue about how delicious Subwaytm sandwiches are doesn't bother you, but one mention of Skydrive drives you up the wall?

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 am UTC

folkhero wrote:So the over the top dialogue about how delicious Subwaytm sandwiches are doesn't bother you, but one mention of Skydrive drives you up the wall?

They at least integrate that somewhat into the show and make it funny.

All the Microsoft crap (and it was more than just that line) is pissing me off partially because I dislike the company's behaviour and its marketing in general (I will admit!), but mainly because it's completely fucking out of place and doesn't make me think good things about the company.

I guess I'm not the target audience...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:
folkhero wrote:So the over the top dialogue about how delicious Subwaytm sandwiches are doesn't bother you, but one mention of Skydrive drives you up the wall?

They at least integrate that somewhat into the show and make it funny.

All the Microsoft crap (and it was more than just that line) is pissing me off partially because I dislike the company's behaviour and its marketing in general (I will admit!), but mainly because it's completely fucking out of place and doesn't make me think good things about the company.

I guess I'm not the target audience...
Well, it's slightly refreshing from all the apple laptops that every single character in the US and UK seems to have :P
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Well, it's slightly refreshing from all the apple laptops that every single character in the US and UK seems to have :P

But they somewhat blend into the background and don't /scream/ for your attention.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:05 am UTC

Zorlin wrote:
Angua wrote:Well, it's slightly refreshing from all the apple laptops that every single character in the US and UK seems to have :P

But they somewhat blend into the background and don't /scream/ for your attention.
The sheer extent to which they permeate their way into almost every show is annoying though, and pretty insidious. At least microsoft is really only in Chuck that I've noticed.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”