Burn Notice

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Re: Burn Notice

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

Man, I've been watching through Alias lately, and my obsession with Burn Notice (along with a healthy--for given values of "healthy"-- dose of TV Tropes has caused me to yell at the screen a lot more than I normally would. It's especially gratifying when poor fieldcraft that I recognize bites Jennifer Garner in the ass.

also, two words: Chuck Finley

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Three more words: is forever, baby.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Havekk

Postby Havekk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 pm UTC

Love this show. One of the few shows on TV that can consistently entertain me, despite a few of its flaws.

New episodes start tonight at 10. Pretty pumped for it. Currently nothing airing that I bother to watch, been waiting for this and the new season of Breaking Bad
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt
~Mark Twain

Twitter

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:27 am UTC

The end of this season didn't really sit well with me, but I do suppose, "And the do-gooders lived happily ever after kicking bad guy ass and righting the wrongs of the world..." would leave the series in a pretty meh spot overarching plot-wise. I do like how

Spoiler:
Michael has to decide if his old life is what he really wants [plotguess]and once he figures out he'd rather be doing odd jobs with one of the hottest women on the planet, how to leave spydom without getting multiple assault teams sent after him (again).[/plotguess]
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:32 am UTC

Resurecto!

I just watched the season 5 finale.
Spoiler:
I wonder how he's gonna bust Fiona out... I was so expecting Anson to die in that episode.
A little disappointing for a finale but it set up the next season well.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

big boss

Postby big boss » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
If the kill Anson off, I don't see how the show can go on. The only person left from the organization is Vaughn or Simon(is that spelled correctly?), and if they break one of them out of prison to be the next big enemy I wouldn't be able to watch the show any more.

On a side note, I don't see why everyone thinks Fiona is so sexy.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 am UTC

big boss wrote:
Spoiler:
If the kill Anson off, I don't see how the show can go on. The only person left from the organization is Vaughn or Simon(is that spelled correctly?), and if they break one of them out of prison to be the next big enemy I wouldn't be able to watch the show any more.

On a side note, I don't see why everyone thinks Fiona is so sexy.

Yeah I'm not sure how it would go from there, if it could go from there.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Luther Sloan

Postby Luther Sloan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

How did this thread die, I feel the urge to necro this thread as there is a new episode on tonight!

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 am UTC

I'm a few episodes behind, but the new season looks like it's going to be interesting!

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:39 am UTC

Jeffrey Donovan, Matt Bomer, fuck any qualms about USA shows being fluff shows.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So whaddaya think Card's involvement is?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:14 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:Jeffrey Donovan, Matt Bomer, fuck any qualms about USA shows being fluff shows.

Fuck. I just stopped watching a few episodes ago, but now I obviously need to catch up.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:48 am UTC

I'm resurrecting this thread because the final season is now... roughly 3 or 4 episodes underway.

Any takers? I should do my own Burn Notice summary, but not tonight.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:10 am UTC

I need to catch up, desperately. I stopped watching 4 or 5 episodes into the previous season.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

I think the new season has been pretty strong so far.

I'm glad this will be the final season, though. I really feel like the last couple seasons have just kind of drug on.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Yeah, it has dug in a bit...

I think mostly it's because *minor spoiler alert* a lot of these past two seasons have focused really heavily in the gritty challenges that the series has been building up to all along. It's Michael facing the (relative) final pieces of the problems of his personal life as well as him wrapping up everything with the CIA and all of the other organizations he's been involved with.

Frankly, I'd be totally into more seasons of the good ol' running around Miami (and maybe abroad) helping people with their problems like what was so prevalent in the earlier seasons. With the occasional smatter of larger plot/government involvement, of course.

In fact, some have rumored of a potential spinoff with Jesse and Sam. An interesting prospect to consider.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

That could be fun.

I really wasn't a fan of Jesse when he was first introduced, but I very much like him now.

Also, for any tabletop rpg fans, you should check out Blowback, which is heavily influenced by Burn Notice & Bourne Legacy. I recently re-read it and forgot how well it mimics the series.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Here's me guessing about the season (so I'll put it in spoilers)
Spoiler:
Turns out the organization Michael is pretending to work for are some sort of well-intentioned extremists, which aren't really evil, just doing something the CIA doesn't want them to do and he's forced to choose

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Here's me guessing about the season (so I'll put it in spoilers)
Spoiler:
Turns out the organization Michael is pretending to work for are some sort of well-intentioned extremists, which aren't really evil, just doing something the CIA doesn't want them to do and he's forced to choose

Spoiler:
And then he goes riding off into the sunset with Fiona to live a life of helping people and relaxing after his spy days. Or maybe he stays in Miami, to be a good uncle to his nephew and be there for his mom.

If there is a new series, I still want to see Maddie Westin and her wry humor.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 am UTC

So... 2 episodes left.

For all fans out there... what do you think?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:58 am UTC

Anyone else watching?

I'm in a mix of depression due to it ending, excitement to see what's happening, and the suspense just dragged me off a cliff holding a knife to my throat.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Well, seems like I'm proven right. I hate cliffhangers

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

I haven't watched the newest episode yet since I figured it'd be a cliffhanger, so I'm waiting for the finale so I can just watch both back-to-back.

I have mixed feelings about the series being over, but overall I think it's time. I feel like large chunks of the last few seasons were really dragging things on and my interest was starting to wane, so I'm glad they're getting to write the end of the series instead of it getting cancelled or something.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

Well yeah, it's a cliffhanger all right

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

I stopped watching sometime last season as things really seemed to be dragging on with no forward progress in sight. Once it's over I'll probably go back and finish it though, just to see how it finally ended.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

I've been enjoying this last season more than the past few, but something about the penultimate episode struck me as off:
Spoiler:
After learning that the CIA hired Simon the monster, Michael loses faith in them. So far, so good. But switching to James' side doesn't make sense. A couple episodes ago, Mike had to kill a friend (who didn't even use to inform on him to the FBI) because James said that friend was getting too close. Plus, Michael's seen James kill two underlings, one of whom committed the crime of fleeing a burning building. None of that warranted more than an, "I don't always agree with your methods"? Even the voiceover, where we learn exactly what's going on in Mike's head, didn't mention these when making the decision to switch sides.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Spoiler:
Holy shitballs. That was some crazy shit right there. So many references back to the whole show. I cried when his mom just sat there, so normal, and then pulls out a detonator. Don't know what I think about the whole narrative framing device being him talking to Charlie. It was pretty obvious they hadn't killed off everyone but Sam + Jesse, the show just isn't that bleak.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Season Finale Recap 1. Discussion pleaded for.

Spoiler:
First of all, I wrote this back before the final episode:

Djehutynakht wrote:If there is a new series, I still want to see Maddie Westin and her wry humor.

I'm... you need to give me a moment guys. I'm doing this crazy thing where my emotional bond with a fictional character drives me insane.

That final episode was immensely powerful. I mean, yeah, some people could call reciting all the catchlines and bringing all of that back as corny... but I think it was right. Without doing some "Burn Notice throughout the ages" clip special, they managed to reinvoke memories and feelings for the show to everyone who watched it. It just worked. It worked well.

Maddie Westin's death upsets me terribly, as you saw. She was an awesome character, and as sad and horrible as it is to see her go, the way she went out was absolutely awesome. In the truest sense. It just confirms that she is an ultimate badass with a maternal heart.

But I thought this whole loop was great. Dark Avorian, it didn't dawn on me until just now that they implied the entire series was Michael narrating to Charlie.

It's so bittersweet. Awesome, yet sad. Happy, yet tragic.

I think that may have to be given an auto-tie for favorite episode.

(Although I'm trying to be reverential to a great series end.. which in true USA fashion they will never mention again (once USA ends a great show, that's it. They stop talking about it) I do want to point out that last Sam and Jesse scene left room for a speculated spin-off of the old helping-people days from the beginning.

At least they'll be doing it either way. I wonder how long Fiona and Michael can go living peacefully).

I just realized Maddie Westin won't be there for Charlie's Birthday... Yeah, I know, I seem obsessive. I get serious about my stories, and she's the casualty in this one. And she could have saved herself. They could have just attached it to the door so the button pressed when they opened it.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

My thoughts on the series finale

Spoiler:
I'm so mad about this finale. It almost ruins the entire series for me. I was upset at the beginning of the season when Michael and Fi broke up and did want them to get back together. However, by the end I think the writers did a really bad job at having me care about the right characters. Because of how much I side with Michael, in getting him confused and siding with James's group, so I did I. I agree his methods sometimes weren't great and I did fear their intentions weren't all good or why would they be so under-siege by the CIA, but I was waiting for that other shoe to drop and at least during what they showed it never did. So in the end I really did prefer James's group and Sonia over the CIA who hired Simon and was constantly threatening Michael and his family and friends. Even if Michael didn't want to side with them, pretending to be their triple agent and actually being the CIA's quadruple agent (yeah, it is complicated) still seems like the best way to save everyone from both the CIA and James's group. Everyone would get what they wanted. The CIA would get James, James's group wanted James to be captured, and hopefully the CIA would stop harassing everyone. Even if James's group really wasn't that good, it was going to be Michael's and Sonia's group so they could change methods, or Michael could just sabotage it from within (or take it down, or leave it, or whatever) after the mess with the CIA was over. Sonia was supposed to be bad too, but they never proved that to me. I actually liked her character and felt bad for her that Michael had betrayed her (both personally and professionally). I don't see anything wrong with Michael leaving his friends out of it to protect them.

Everything could have gone perfectly except Fi had to run in there to a situation she didn't understand and ruin it. It was bad that Sonia made Michael choose, but really that was Fi's fault for not just trusting him, leaving, and working out their differences later when it wasn't in the middle of a critical mission. I basically blame everything on Fi. If it wasn't for what she did Sonia wouldn't have to be dead (if she was bad, maybe she could have been reformed), James would be captured, the CIA would finally be off of all of their backs, James's men wouldn't be hunting them, Maddy wouldn't have had to die, and Michael and Fi wouldn't have had to fake their own deaths and go on the run.

Also, I was disappointed at Maddy's death. It was very emotional to see her sacrifice herself for Charlie and Michael like that, but it just feels totally contrived. I can't believe that after years of this show and them coming up with clever ways to get out of all sorts of situations the only way to get out of this one was for someone to blow themselves up. In any other episode they would have found another way, but because it was the last one they wanted someone to die even though they weren't in any worse a situation than any other.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Series finale:
Spoiler:
I had similar thoughts as sparkyb about Michael going quadruple agent, but don't blame Fi for screwing it up. I don't think Mike ever told any of his freinds that his next rendevoux with James was going to be James turning himself in. Even if he wasn't planning on going quadruple agent, he could have told his friends he was, and they might have trusted him enough to not interfere.

Mike didn't even have to decide which side to take at that point. He could have simply assumed control of James' organization and, if they turned out to be too dark for him, just turn everybody in.

Madeline's death did make sense to me. Even if they could have figured out a way to detonate the bomb remotely, they still have to run, and she's a senior citizen who chain smoked for many years. She would fall behind and, if Jesse even hesitated to think about how to help her, it would put Charlie at risk. Her dialogue w/Jesse about this being about saving Charlie didn't go quite this far, but I think Madeline Weston took herself out to ensure that nothing would distract Jesse from saving her grandson.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:46 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:
Spoiler:
Madeline's death did make sense to me. Even if they could have figured out a way to detonate the bomb remotely, they still have to run, and she's a senior citizen who chain smoked for many years. She would fall behind and, if Jesse even hesitated to think about how to help her, it would put Charlie at risk. Her dialogue w/Jesse about this being about saving Charlie didn't go quite this far, but I think Madeline Weston took herself out to ensure that nothing would distract Jesse from saving her grandson.

Spoiler:
It would have been insanely easy to set it off "remotely", now that I consider it. Simply propping the C4 up against the door and then pressing a heavy object like a piece of furniture behind it, so when someone opened the door it would push the button, would have done it. But all in all, I believe that Maddie, series wise, didn't really need to die, but was an effective and heartwrenching way to end the story (Although it would bring me warmth to see Maddie join her family in the cottage, the lack of sacrifice, some would say, would detract from the story. But I'll leave that ethical conundrum to elsewhere). I think she may have been able to get away. As we saw, the blast took out most of them, and I believe Jessie shot the rest. I'm not sure he had a fleeing under gunfire scene... unless I'm forgetting.

In any case, I'm wondering why Jessie and Sam turned themselves into the CIA when they knew that there was a possibility they'd be kept in prison, as opposed to going on the lam with Michael and Fiona. I mean, obviously the four of them had to have rendezvoused offscreen (otherwise Jesse and Sam would have no way of being sure they were still alive, and Michael and Fiona would have had to have gotten Charlie from Jessie). Maybe it was simply to sell the story "Oh, Michael and Fiona died... Here's the James stuff, Michael's a hero".

Now that I think about it, I wonder what they thought happened to Charlie? That he died in the blast? That's depressing, actually.

It's sort of my little fan-hope though that within a year or so word starts leaking that Michael actually survived, and that he's simply gone into undetectable hiding from which nobody seeks to find him. It's just fitting to me that people realize that Michael Westen got away undefeated.

Also, I was a bit disappointed by the funeral scene. I was hoping there'd be this whole thing where all the people Michael helped over the years (that didn't go into hiding) would all somehow show up as a mass effect of gratitude.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”