Gran Torino

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
ishikiri
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Gran Torino

Postby ishikiri » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:13 am UTC

Clint Eastwoods latest film in which the macho persona which has been the staple of his career is shown to its growlingest perfection. Badassery abounds.

This is going to be the last film Clint is going to act in (fair enough he is 78!) and as last films go its a damn fine way to go.

Its a film I'd happily watch repeatedly.

Spoiler:
I think the plot was rather believable with some great moments ("No more, No more food. . . oh wait, are those those little chicken dumpling things? OK, yeah, you better come inside") and some that let him down (talking to himself in the mirror).

I liked the development of the rappor with Thao and his sister. It felt evenly paced and didn't rush itself. Bee Vang as Sue was particularily charming and memorable.


In conclusion the flick's a barrel of awesome-sauce. Excellent, without slapping you in the face with how good it is.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

User avatar
someguy
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Re: Gran Torino

Postby someguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:40 am UTC

I can't wait for this one (one week to go here, I think...).
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".


User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8515
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Gran Torino

Postby Zohar » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:43 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:Clint Eastwoods latest film in which the macho persona which has been the staple of his career is shown to its growlingest perfection. Badassery abounds.


I agree completely. The only two things that bothered me were the teen's acting (he didn't cry very well...). Also, the end was slightly predictable. But it was still an excellent and funny movie. Is he really not going to act anymore? That's disappointing. Maybe he'll pull a Miyazaki and keep making about five or six more movies, each time saying it's his last. :)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
ishikiri
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Re: Gran Torino

Postby ishikiri » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
ishikiri wrote:Clint Eastwoods latest film in which the macho persona which has been the staple of his career is shown to its growlingest perfection. Badassery abounds.


I agree completely. The only two things that bothered me were the teen's acting (he didn't cry very well...). Also, the end was slightly predictable. But it was still an excellent and funny movie. Is he really not going to act anymore? That's disappointing. Maybe he'll pull a Miyazaki and keep making about five or six more movies, each time saying it's his last. :)


I didn't think that ending was predictable TBH.
Spoiler:
I knew that he was going to die, but I fully expected that he would at least pull a gun and try to get a couple of shots off. The use of the lighter was a little a nice moment. The jesus-on-the-cross ending was another of those painful moments though.


Yeah I've heard this is gonna be his last role, so he can concentrate on directing, production and golf.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the kids acting kinda sucked.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

User avatar
Intercept
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:15 am UTC
Location: An blue governed Missouri.

Re: Gran Torino

Postby Intercept » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:45 am UTC

I liked the movie. I don't even like racial jokes typically, but I found the movie hilarious. Maybe it helped that it was just acting and not a real person's opinion. I felt like Clint's acting was great and it was a very good movie all around.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

User avatar
paora42
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Where was he driving? Gran Torino Ending Credits?

Postby paora42 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

At the end of Gran Torino, Thao was driving along a coastal road.

What road was it?

I'm planning a road trip and think I might be heading towards there.

Anyone have any ideas?

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Gran Torino

Postby smw543 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:12 am UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Lake Shore Road
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests