River Tam VS Cameron Phillips

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Powerintheverse

River Tam VS Cameron Phillips

Postby Powerintheverse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:43 am UTC

To me the answer seems obvious, River is more flexible and skilled with all sorts of weapons, then again it really does depend on what kind of mood she's in, perhaps the sight of a killer robot that looked liker herself would send her into despair. Cameron is hard to kill but her battle tactics are pretty limited to shooting and picking people up and throwing them/pushing them into walls. What do you guys think?

chameleon

Re: River Tam VS Cameron Phillips

Postby chameleon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Actually, I think it would be Cameron Phillips simply because she's a robot. River Tam is as hard as nails, but if your opponent won't die, what can you do?

Powerintheverse wrote:Cameron is hard to kill but her battle tactics are pretty limited to shooting and picking people up and throwing them/pushing them into walls.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Onomi

Postby Onomi » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:37 am UTC

chameleon wrote:Actually, I think it would be Cameron Phillips simply because she's a robot. River Tam is as hard as nails, but if your opponent won't die, what can you do?

River Tam seems pretty smart, I'm sure she'd just adapt.

chameleon

Postby chameleon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:46 am UTC

Yes that's perhaps true, but then again she's up against a terminator and we all know how they can be.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

River can kill you with her brain.

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:River can kill you with her brain.

Exactly. A Terminator can be stopped.

No power in the [uni]Verse can stop River.
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Wed May 27, 2009 2:37 am UTC

chameleon wrote:
If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cameron broken most of the time? So what is actually being asked is:
"Crazy super psychic assassin girl" versus "broken tin can" who would win?
I think we all know the answer to this.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu May 28, 2009 7:30 am UTC

It depends on a key question. Well, two actually.

1. Can River break solid metal?
2. Does River being able to kill people with her brain extend itself to robots?

Also--screw Bruce Schneier, we need River Tam Facts.

jadewang

Postby jadewang » Fri May 29, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

DarkKnightJared wrote:2. Does River being able to kill people with her brain extend itself to robots?

After all, there is nothing that doesn't come naturally to River as breathing does to the rest of us. So yes, she must be able to hack a machine. The girl can obviously fly a spaceship.
"Existence has its own order and that no man’s mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others."
—Cormac Mccarthy, Blood Meridian
http://www.jadism.com

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Sun May 31, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

jadewang wrote:
DarkKnightJared wrote:2. Does River being able to kill people with her brain extend itself to robots?
After all, there is nothing that doesn't come naturally to River as breathing does to the rest of us. So yes, she must be able to hack a machine. The girl can obviously fly a spaceship.

She probably downloaded Wash' mind and ability to pilot a spaceship, so downloading robot's mind and finding logical paradox which would kill it shouldn't be a problem.

thatblackguy

Postby thatblackguy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Incidentally I find it hilarious her last name in the show is Philips. River for the win, we've all seen where large heavily armored slow moving objects vs limber quick thinking agile opponents
<GauntletWizard> Here's the answer: Computers are far too complex, let's just program everything using Bubblesort. Hardware will catch up
- Wisdom from #signal

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:47 am UTC

jadewang wrote:

Necro, I know, but...

Cameron was already hacked by a bunch of glorified resistance fighters. I'm pretty sure a super-genius like River would be able to do so.

Which means, now River has Cameron as her friend. A physically perfect super-genius assassin girl with unknown psionic abilities PLUS a killing machine?

To quote Zapp Brannigan from Futurama: "Now that's one wave of destruction that's easy on the eyes."
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Cup of Dirt

Postby Cup of Dirt » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

The OP wrote:River Tam VS Cameron Phillips

I'll be in my bunk.
"Why can't people see things the way they are?"
"Because that's the way they are. Why can't you see that?"

jords

Postby jords » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 am UTC

Actually, terminators are pretty easy to defeat, all you gotta do is cut open the head and unscrew their chip holder. (Obviously doesn't apply to t-1000's)

Kinda funny actually, they spend so much time making out that they are indestructible, when they actually have a pretty major design flaw. Surely with all the future technology they could require a key to get chip access?

So yeah, River Tam would win, unless of course we were using real physics not movie/tv show physics, and sprayed bullets are allowed to hit main characters.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

jords wrote:Actually, terminators are pretty easy to defeat, all you gotta do is cut open the head and unscrew their chip holder. (Obviously doesn't apply to t-1000's)

Kinda funny actually, they spend so much time making out that they are indestructible, when they actually have a pretty major design flaw. Surely with all the future technology they could require a key to get chip access?

So yeah, River Tam would win, unless of course we were using real physics not movie/tv show physics, and sprayed bullets are allowed to hit main characters.

"Excsuse me, super-strong, heavily-armed, and ruthless killbot, would you mind standing still for a few minutes while I preform a delicate mechanical procedure on the back of your skull? kthnx."

jords

Postby jords » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:44 am UTC

I think your forgetting the whole out for 120 seconds when hit with a large amount of electricity thing...

Although that didn't happen in terminator 1 or 2.

Also, the only reason it's mostly been done delicately is because they didn't want to damage the chip - if you do, then there is nothing delicate about it.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Not to mention, a group of glorified resistance fighters have managed to reprogram quite a few terminators, I'm sure a supergenius like River can figure it out.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

This can be broken down into three situations:
1) Firepower. If you supply each with sufficient projectile weapons and place them in a situation with limited cover, the terminator wins by constitution. Easily
2) Flexibility. River is agile, the terminator is not. In the absence of long range weapondry, the advantage goes to river in general. However, not bare handed. A fistfight is going to favor the terminator. Tossup.
3) Planning. Given enough time to plan the encounter and set traps, etc the advantage is river's intellect and creativity.

So I say tossup. In the end, River's kinda like batman. Give her 15 minutes, a paperclip, and a schematic and the terminator doesn't have a chance. Plop them down with two miniguns at 100 paces in an empty warehouse and the fight doesn't last long.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

kristacanton

Postby kristacanton » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

River.

Because you don't expect it. She's smart and quirky ("My food is problematic") and is crazy to the point of being almost annoying, but all of a sudden she saves the day.

Nakross

Postby Nakross » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Apparently, io9 is having a poll that's part of Televisions Biggest Badass of All Time... Current poll is Cameron VS River. Previous poll was River vs Caprica 6... and damn, Caprica 6 got owned.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Nakross wrote:Apparently, io9 is having a poll that's part of Televisions Biggest Badass of All Time... Current poll is Cameron VS River. Previous poll was River vs Caprica 6... and damn, Caprica 6 got owned.

Link, please.

Powerintheverse wrote:To me the answer seems obvious, River is more flexible and skilled with all sorts of weapons, then again it really does depend on what kind of mood she's in, perhaps the sight of a killer robot that looked liker herself would send her into despair. Cameron is hard to kill but her battle tactics are pretty limited to shooting and picking people up and throwing them/pushing them into walls. What do you guys think?

I'm Cameron could do more complex maneuvers, but she doesn't really need to. The only time bluntness failed her was in the TSCC finale, but it was just messed up how easily she got beat. I'd still go with River though, she could probably build an anti-Cameron from a garbage pile if she couldn't do it by ingenuity.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”