District 9

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: District 9

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 am UTC

I mean, that's part of the point; we can watch this film about the mistreatment of these aliens and say to ourselves "God, that's awful, what a horrible thing, thank god there are no aliens in Johannesburg being treated like that, because I can't imagine humans doing that to... oh wait."
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:22 am UTC

I loved it. Someone said the Wikus was underdeveloped, but I disagree. I went from thinking he was a nice (though kind of bumbling) guy, to thinking he was a dick, to thinking he was an even bigger, more racist dick, to thinking he did have some good in him. I loved Christopher's son, too, they somehow managed to make him adorable. Something about the wide-eyed stare he had.

Science nerd nitpick:
One thing I found though, which comes up a lot in sci-fi and I don't necessarily blame District 9 for, is that the aliens were too human-like. They even breathe our atmosphere just fine. Christopher used human body language and even facial expressions (running his hand over his head when stressed, raising eyebrow area as surprise/fear). You can say we were both seeded by the same interstellar bacteria, which only took hold on a planet with similar atmosphere and surface gravity, but that still doesn't really justify having all limbs and sensory organs in the same spots, even assuming humans have a pretty optimal setup. You can say they ARE different because they have an extra leg joint, and those weird little grabbers in their chest cavity (what do those do anyway? I never saw them get used). You can say Christopher has learned human body language over the 20 years and is displaying it for the humans' convenience, but I think he'd still revert to his native stuff when angry (I'd like to have seen some unhumanlike expressions or movements, maybe involving those chest grabbers or their mandibles?). You can also say the body language was necessary for creating an alien character an audience could sympathize with. But I still find they're somehow a little uncannily human. Not that it really detrated from the movie.

Kind of unrelated: three-jointed limbs on a biped are so cool-looking. I don't know why. That's why I love the Elites in Halo.

1337goose

Postby 1337goose » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Just saw it. It was unbelievably good, if not very disturbing. Much like "The Second Renaissance" of the Matrix series, it is very profound and moving to watch it because we learn more about humanity than we do about whatever aliens are part of the plot. It was the first truly emotionally moving movie I have ever seen, and would recommend it to everyone reading this.

annals

Postby annals » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Enuja wrote:
Spoiler:
I really liked that everyone essentially had the same goals (get the aliens back to there home/elsewhere), but were constantly fighting each other anyway. That's a theme that I don't know that I've ever seen in film before, and it's a problem we constantly see in our universe.

Spoiler:
I also appreciated that aspect of it, but an extremely depressing part of the movie for me was that everyone didn't have that goal. I got the impression that the big corporations were very happy with the way things were, and were determined to keep the status quo as long as it took for them to figure out how to manufacture alien weapons that humans could use.

Spoiler:
Why did Christopher promise to come back for Wikus? He's still a speciesist fuck who can't deal with being an alien: why would you want to "fix" him? What's wrong with being an alien?
There is no cross species love or real common understanding: just circumstantial allies and mutual hate, and thinnest smidge of "my bad" on the part of Wikus.

Spoiler:
Sure, there's nothing wrong with being an alien--as long as your whole personal history and sense of self/identity isn't tied up in being human. By your logic, it would be totally okay to infect unwilling aliens with phlebotinum that made them into humans; after all, there's nothing wrong with being a human. :)
Also, I think that it's asking a bit much of Wikus to expect him to turn around his entire worldview and opinions within the space of 74 hours, during which his life as he knew it was completely ripped apart. Frankly, if he'd had some great revelation that led to him suddenly treating aliens with brotherly love, I think it would have come across as bad writing. As to why Christopher promised to come back, it's because he's good people.

Spoiler:
My favorite shot in the movie was at the end when the evil colonel was walking through the smoke towards Wikus as he lay helpless on the ground. He looked exactly like the badass hero of a traditional action movie about to confront the big bad, and the intentional irony made me happy. But then, I'm easy to please.

Also, WTF is up with Malice? Not only does he say almost exactly what I'm thinking about pretty much every movie/book I watch/read, he has twice now changed his avatar to a character that made a huge impression on me within a few days of my discovering that character. It's starting to get spooky.

Also also, I like the way South Africans say 'fuck'.

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:55 am UTC

annals wrote:Also, WTF is up with Malice? Not only does he say almost exactly what I'm thinking about pretty much every movie/book I watch/read, he has twice now changed his avatar to a character that made a huge impression on me within a few days of my discovering that character. It's starting to get spooky.

It's probably a complete coinci--TURN AROUND I AM BEHIND YOU

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:38 am UTC

annals wrote:
Spoiler:
Enuja wrote:I really liked that everyone essentially had the same goals (get the aliens back to there home/elsewhere), but were constantly fighting each other anyway. That's a theme that I don't know that I've ever seen in film before, and it's a problem we constantly see in our universe.
I also appreciated that aspect of it, but an extremely depressing part of the movie for me was that everyone didn't have that goal. I got the impression that the big corporations were very happy with the way things were, and were determined to keep the status quo as long as it took for them to figure out how to manufacture alien weapons that humans could use.
Enuja wrote:Why did Christopher promise to come back for Wikus? He's still a speciesist fuck who can't deal with being an alien: why would you want to "fix" him? What's wrong with being an alien?
There is no cross species love or real common understanding: just circumstantial allies and mutual hate, and thinnest smidge of "my bad" on the part of Wikus.
Sure, there's nothing wrong with being an alien--as long as your whole personal history and sense of self/identity isn't tied up in being human. By your logic, it would be totally okay to infect unwilling aliens with phlebotinum that made them into humans; after all, there's nothing wrong with being a human. :)
Also, I think that it's asking a bit much of Wikus to expect him to turn around his entire worldview and opinions within the space of 74 hours, during which his life as he knew it was completely ripped apart. Frankly, if he'd had some great revelation that led to him suddenly treating aliens with brotherly love, I think it would have come across as bad writing. As to why Christopher promised to come back, it's because he's good people.
Reply to annals
Spoiler:
I know what you mean about finding it depressing that some people wanted to get the technology out of the aliens and didn't want to help send them back home, or help them find a way to be happy on Earth. That part wasn't depressing to me, just because it is so expected. What was depressing is that essentially no-one was depicted as actually wanting to integrate the aliens into human society. There were alien rights activists spoken of, but their opinions and numbers were essentially ignored. I liked it because it also seemed realistic, but the fact that no-one wanted to be go be social with the aliens seemed much sadder than some people wanting to exploit the aliens to me.

On expecting Wikus to deal better with being turned into an alien: I am a crazy idealist who thinks that, yes, aliens should be able to deal with being turned into humans and humans should be able to deal with being turned into aliens and men should be able to deal with being turned in to women, and such like. I know that our current society values strongly corporeal self images, but, philosophically, I have a problem with it, and Wikus' problems with being turned into an alien are, to me, symptomatic with our cultural obsession with the importance of a self image tied to the physical.

On Rippy's science nerd nitpick:
I thought that they did a remarkably good job of making the aliens look alien, once you get past the bipedal with four limb and two eyes facing forward bit. Sure, that part was kinda weak, imagination and expectation wise. But I liked that the waist and hip joint were super skinny, and I love what looked to me like book lungs just above the waist (are those the chest "grabbers" you were referring to?), and I loved all of the head appendages.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 am UTC

I'm kind of with Enuja on the societal thing. Yeah, the part where the aliens were forced into the slums was horrific, but I came in expecting that part. What I really wanted to see in the documentary portions was people parading through the streets of London, New York, Tel Aviv, Paris, Tokyo, etc. in protest of the aliens' treatment. Because I believe that would have been happening. I also believe that a few civil rights groups would have tried to give them edible food, clothing, medicines, etc. In fact, the female expert in the documentary parts (I think she was a sociologist) strikes me as a person who was wholly against what the government/MNU was doing.

Also, the "prawns" thing really bothered me. They said at the beginning that "prawns" was a racist slur, and from then on, anytime someone said it, I got a bit pissed. I really wish that they had given us two names for the aliens, "prawns" being the racial slur, and the other being socially acceptable.

I think the bipedal, upright physiology of the alien is a bit defensible, from a "we'll just use vague jargon, and people won't question it" school of sci-fi. Humans evolved from mammals, but somewhere along the line, we evolved to the point where we were bipedal and upright, and sentient/sapient. We still have "fur" covering our bodies, a "tail" coming from our spines, etc. The "prawns" looked like they were probably evolved from a creature similar to crustaceans, but somewhere along the line they evolved to a point where they were upright and bipedal, and sapient/sentient. However, they still have a carapace and an exoskeleton, and maxilipeds (the claw-hand-things coming from their abdomen), though they may no longer need them.

I do agree that they could have acted more alien, though. Their gestures were way too human.

And about the cat food thing. Am I the only one who didn't take it at face value when it was said that they were "addicted" to the cat food? I really don't think it was an addiction. Maybe they were starving (not as much as before, but really, really hungry). Their choices were the raw heads of goats and pigs and cows, or processed tuna-like substances. I'll bet anyone would gladly take the cat food over the animal heads, and would have been much happier afterward (the "catnip" effect). Plus, if they were descended from water-dwelling crustacean-like animals, then the cat food was probably more like what they were used to/capable of eating, as it was most likely fish-based.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:16 am UTC

Hmm, I came out of this movie and pretty much the only thing I remembered clearly was all the gratuitously exploding bodies. However, it's been a few hours now and the rest of the movie is starting to sink in I think.

I may be reading a bit too much into it, but I like all the tangentially stories we don't see, or are only dimly aware of. like:
Spoiler:
The wife and family, and what they are going through as a result of Wikus' 'transformation'. We aren't shown what goes on between when she says she doesn't want him anymore, and when she calls him and forgives him, nor are we shown whether this was just her father manipulating her, or a genuine change of heart that her father took advantage of. I especially liked at the end when (presumably) alien Wikus is shown making the flower, that was pretty touching to me.

As for the apartheid/racism/specieism aspect, not to necessarily play 'devil's advocate' I may have to take a bit of a different approach than everyone else here (not that I don't like to be the devil's advocate now and again).
Spoiler:
I have to say, I don't necessarily agree with everyone on MNU/etc. being fundamentally wrong/evil in their treatment and exploitation of the aliens. I know we're meant to look at this as a parallel to apartheid and racism and see how terrible it is to oppress people, and maybe I'm wandering right onto the firing line here, but it seems that Christopher is the only alien truly deserving our sympathy. In general, the aliens seem to pretty accurately portray the negative stereotypes of oppressed peoples, especially third world Africans. They are shiftless, and fairly obviously un-interested with integration into human society, They violently oppose human involvement, but pawn off advanced weaponry (which they are clearly shown using) for catfood. With all the excessive-body-explosion inducing weapons at their disposal, the aliens could easily throw off their human oppressors. After twenty years, even the most open minded, alien-loving individual could be forgiven for being a bit disillusioned.
Christopher seems to be the only one actually doing anything to get his people back home, and even he is unable to organize his fellow aliens in any really useful way.
Of course, this doesn't really excuse the needlessly brutal oppression of the aliens, but at the same time, I have to go with an "Earth First" sentiment. All species have the fundamental drive to self preservation (you don't tend to last long as a species otherwise) If something isn't a rough genetic duplicate of yourself, it is a resource to be used. This may seem a bit unnecessarily callous, but you have to realize that an important aspect of this philosophy is that resources should be conserved. Not only is it not really possible to predict what could be useful in the future, but in our extremely complicated and unique biosphere, it's not exactly easy to say which 'resource' is necessary to our survival and we should be taking every reasonable measure to conserve our biosphere.
With the aliens though, we have some wiggle room, how much more would it cost to prop up the aliens and amicably integrate them versus how much more helpful would they be to us? It's not an easy decision by a long shot, but it's fundamentally different from the question of racism. No matter how different an oppressed human race is from their oppressors (and the evidence says not very) they are still part of our genetic imperative, and as such, we have certain moral duties to them far beyond what can be said of our relationship to the aliens
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

I really liked the expository parts in the beginning. The documentary style made it very immersive, which was cool.

animeHrmIne wrote:I really wish that they had given us two names for the aliens, "prawns" being the racial slur, and the other being socially acceptable.

"Aliens."

As for the aliens having such earthling-like physiology, I think it's forgivable for technical/budget reasons. The aliens had a lot of screen time and a lot of intense scenes and I imagine that for special effects they just used people in motion-capture suits (or do those only work in special rooms?) and CGI. What's less forgivable is the human facial expressions that the aliens showed. I actually just tried not to look at their eyes whenever they did that. In fact, I would have much preferred it if they had compound eyes or something.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

The next paragraph is a response to EdgarJPublius that I'm not putting behind a spoiler tag because it's about the themes of the film and about our individual morals, not about plot issues.

I vehemently disagree that humans should have some species-specific "genetic imperative" to value humans more than non-humans or to exploit non-humans. Morals are something that we invented as thinking, reasoning beings. Our morals should be what we decide them to be and there is no semi-evolutionary constraint on what our morals should be. It doesn't justify your morals to say that "we have to have this view because of evolution and species survival". Personally, my morals value life, diversity, and knowledge. And since the aliens are certainly diverse life that can be an entire field (or multiple fields) of study, they deserve extreme protection by my morals. What moral justification (we need it to survive is a practical, not moral justification, which I argue is not supported by the situation in the film) do you have to say that the aliens should have been exploited in some manner, even if they should have been treated "humanely" as they were exploited? And, by the way, I think that's impossible: exploitation inherently leads to terrible, inhumane treatment of those you are exploiting, and I think that that's the central theme of the film. Not to say that I don't use my cats for some things and my spouse for others, but I try to exploit neither. If you say that "I have more value than you" then your decisions and bureaucracy and mistakes are all going to lead to hugely ugly things, like
Spoiler:
valuing an employee who says "I can't believe they pay my to do this" when shooting an intelligent prisoner (and this was the turning point for Wikus, who had to fight against that evil) and considering a manager a resource instead of a human the moment he gets infected with alien.

Unlike the rest of you, I didn't much notice how human the alien body language was (the only body language I noticed was wide eyes for shock and looking and touching for interest and "like"), but I think you all are correct that inventing a new body language instead of using human body language would have been much better. And it could have been pretty seamlessly integrated by adding one short scene to the intro section; ("We thought that raising arms was a sign of greeting, but we've since learned that it was a signal for us to stop interfering" and the like, over "documentary" footage.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Eh, you can only make a new body language for so long before it becomes so alien and unknown that we can no longer relate to it at all and either fail to notice it or consider it comical behavior.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:And about the cat food thing. Am I the only one who didn't take it at face value when it was said that they were "addicted" to the cat food?

I took it to be a metaphor for the way early Europeans got the Native American's addicted to alcohol products. And a general metaphor for taking advantage of a peoples weakened position by feeding their addictions. Notice the aliens were able to eat cuts of beef (gross as they may have been) and are seen picking through the trash for food, so supposedly they can eat other things as well, and subsist on them. Also, remember then scene:
Spoiler:
When the aliens were selling the giant battle suit to the gangster, and they said "10,000 cans of catfood!" and the gangster laughed and said "100", and the Aliens said "SOLD! we'll take it!" and walked off with the small amount of catfood?

Couple other points:
Spoiler:
Wikus is ostracized with the rumor that he had sex with an alien, furthering the notion that they were an inferior people.

Spoiler:
Edgar said:"After twenty years, even the most open minded, alien-loving individual could be forgiven for being a bit disillusioned."

I think that's, again, part of the point. How easy it is to transition to hating an oppressed peoples based on their behavior in their oppressed state.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

If all the aliens were like Christopher I don't think it would have been as big a deal and the horrible living conditions/treatment probably wouldn't have been as bad. The problem was they portrayed the drones (regular aliens) as essentially unlikable. Even if you felt for their plight, they were shown to be barely better than animals and this was even more pronounced when you saw that Christopher wasn't the same. During the opening scenes I recall a statement of something like "they don't understand the concept of property" which I think would have been a pretty good explanation of behavior we would find very obtrusive. But this turned out to apparently just be a disparaging statement against them since it became fairly obvious that they did comprehend the concept of property. Now what was unclear was if the drones compared to Christopher was just a societal thing or if it was actually two different types of aliens (similar to worker and queen bees, for example).

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

How do we know other of the aliens weren't like Christopher? You don't really get to see many of them characterized that deeply; all you see is a brutalized and oppressed people struggling to survive. We don't actually know what they were individually like outside of the snapshots we see of their really terrible lot in life.

Spoiler:
Basically, it was brought up before how telling the line was where Christopher was like "This is illegal!" and Wikus was all oh haha we have a smart one here -- it seems pretty much just going along with Wikus's bias to assume that the aliens are all stupid uncaring savages, when really we don't actually get to see very much of their personalities outside of the one the movie focuses on.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Enuja wrote:If they controlled the power armor, why not just walk it out to Christopher, kill the people around him, and have him climb into the power armor, instead of Wikus?

My impression was that the kid (who was the one who activated the command module, the big ship, and the power armor) merely activated the power armor and put it into "auto protect" mode. It basically killed the shit out of everything that didn't register as an alien. It almost killed Wikus, then Wikus raised his alien arm and immediately the power armor shut down and opened up for him to get in. So I'd guess the kid activated a "find the nearest alien and kill everything non-alien or threatening in your way" program that was built into the power armor. It just so happened that the Nigerians had just bought the power armor so it was very close to Wikus - lucky him!

SecondTalon wrote:Eh, you can only make a new body language for so long before it becomes so alien and unknown that we can no longer relate to it at all and either fail to notice it or consider it comical behavior.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I think it might've ruined the immersion a bit to see some weird body language; that, or it might have taken too long to explain what they were saying with the body language. I guess they could've done something like that maybe once.

Also maybe some of it can be explained by having to adapt to living with the humans, when the humans clearly do not want to adapt to the aliens. Things like knowing to kneel and put your arms above your head as a gesture of complete surrender and passivity - that's probably not the aliens' normal gesture of passivity.

My favorite part in the movie was when
Spoiler:
Wikus is forced to use his arm to kill the alien. And by "favorite" I mean, it was the moment that meant the most to me; it made me feel sick at the time. That was also the point where I thought that Wikus was going to go apeshit and use some crazy new alien abilities to wreak havoc on the MNU people, and while any other big-budget blockbuster would've taken that route, I'm actually kinda glad this movie never used the "sudden near-invicibility" trope that I see a lot anymore.

Runners-up were: anything that involved Christopher's kid; when Wikus burns the eggs and you can hear a sort of screaming sound; when Wikus finds an alien who understands that the eviction is illegal.
milk from space is good for you!

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

I'll have to agree with Spacemilk on the best/worst parts. Especially
Spoiler:
the eggs. Oh my gods, that was horrendous. It was bad enough when he was pulling the life support out of the larvae, but burning the entire shack of eggs mad me sick. And during the scene where they make him kill the alien, I was apparently reacting a bit too much, and my step-brother actually leaned over and said, "You know this isn't real, right?" I told him to suspend take his disbelief and shove it.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

On the intelligence of the aliens:
Spoiler:
I think it was the person talking about the control module/small ship who said that most of the aliens weren't too smart, and they were right about that part. Also, as Christopher, his son, and the doomed alien are picking through the trash, the doomed alien can't tell what technology is their technology and what is human technology, but the son can. With those two things together, I think that the film is telling us that the many of the aliens were leaderless, aimless, and drone-like (although apparently many of them learned to understand English, which seems to be quite a feat of intelligence to me). So the film isn't making the bulk of the aliens easy to love and value. But humans seen as "lesser peoples" often have different morals and behavior and do things that are abhorrent to the powerful people. I really think that making the aliens hard to love was a good move on the part of the writer, and part of making the issue a difficult one. I think it's still absolutely the right thing to do to value the aliens and not exploit them, but that doesn't mean it's easy to respect them, and it doesn't mean that most of them were actually really smart.

Spacemilk, that's a really good guess for the explanation of that scene. My spouse finally saw the movie, and one of the things that he criticized it for was not enough transition scenes and not giving the viewer a good mental layout of where everything was happening.
Spoiler:
The kid is indeed the one controlling the control module/small ship, and we agreed that it's quite possible that the Nigerians, power armor, and Wikus were a long distance from Christopher. Therefore, even if the kid (who does really like Wikus) is specifically controlling the power armor, we just can't tell where Wikus and Christopher are in relation to each other because transit time, locations, and what's going on between scenes it isn't communicated clearly by the film.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Enuja wrote:the doomed alien can't tell what technology is their technology and what is human technology, but the son can.

Spoiler:
I take that more to mean that the son of an intelligent and thoughtful individual is as well, and a beaten down and listless one is not. Nothing to do with requiring a genetic leader, like a queen of sorts. Christopher also has a module that shows what their home planet looks like, implying to me that he remembers their culture, their past, and as such, his son will have a stronger sense of identity then say, one who has resigned himself to sitting on a trash heap and hoping for a cat food fix.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:
Spoiler:
Enuja wrote:If they controlled the power armor, why not just walk it out to Christopher, kill the people around him, and have him climb into the power armor, instead of Wikus?

My impression was that the kid (who was the one who activated the command module, the big ship, and the power armor) merely activated the power armor and put it into "auto protect" mode. It basically killed the shit out of everything that didn't register as an alien. It almost killed Wikus, then Wikus raised his alien arm and immediately the power armor shut down and opened up for him to get in.

Spoiler:
I don't think it almost killed Wikus. When it powers on you get a brief first-person view from it where it clearly labels all the gang members in red and then Wikus in green.

Oh one more thing I didn't understand:
Spoiler:
When they're rooting through the garbage, they're only looking for alien technology. Obviously, this was all on the ship initially. Couldn't Christopher have extracted the fuel from their spare equipment while still in the mothership? Their ship had enough fuel sitting around in it to take them home, but he had to wait until it was spread out in junkyards to start looking for it. I realize he probably couldn't extract it all in 3 months (the time before humans bore a hole in the ship), but you'd think he'd at least collect all the spare parts up somewhere in the ship where humans wouldn't find him and extract it there? From previews I understood that he was distilling the fuel from Earth waste, which made more sense to me.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Just watched this after having looked forward to it for a long time- Loved it. Fantastic movie.
Spoiler:
The depiction of the aliens as not very likeable was brilliant, they're not strong, they're not very smart and they don't have much motivation. They've lived under human control for twenty-eight years and they're down-trodden and beaten, and they behave as such. And the general racism directed against them that surpassed even the negative images we actually saw of them and made wonderful racist claims like "They think setting fire to a building or derailing a train is something recreational" was fantastic! Favourite line, btw? "The entire world was looking at Johannesburg, so we had to do the right thing." There's a lot more in that line than meets the eye. :wink: It was also believable to me, and I saw someone commenting on this, that the aliens didn't rise up, but their weaponry really wasn't that advanced compared to ours. In one-on-one combat their guns would have kicked the humans' asses, but seeing as how District 9 was surrounded by military with tanks and missiles...
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

natraj wrote:How do we know other of the aliens weren't like Christopher? You don't really get to see many of them characterized that deeply; all you see is a brutalized and oppressed people struggling to survive. We don't actually know what they were individually like outside of the snapshots we see of their really terrible lot in life.

Spoiler:
Basically, it was brought up before how telling the line was where Christopher was like "This is illegal!" and Wikus was all oh haha we have a smart one here -- it seems pretty much just going along with Wikus's bias to assume that the aliens are all stupid uncaring savages, when really we don't actually get to see very much of their personalities outside of the one the movie focuses on.

I think it's important to note, because the movie draw's intentional parallels to apartheid, that it took less than thirteen years for Blacks to form an organized resistance to south African apartheid policies (less than three years after Black's were deprived of citizenship and public services). whereas the Aliens have been living in slums for more than twice that time (28 years I believe) and had yet to show any signs of an organized resistance. If all the alien's were 'like Christopher' I think we would have seen signs of resistance, especially since the aliens had access to advanced weaponry which the Human's were unable to use or even really defend against.

I'd like to respond to Enuja RE: morality and genetic imperative etc. But I'm short on time, perhaps later tonight I'll be able to get to it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

I did find it interesting that after nearly thirty years of being relegated to a concentration camp-like slum, with access to weapons that can destroy people at (apparently) a molecular level, there was no resistance. If there was, the documentary bit glossed over it, which I think is a shame. I think the treatment of them would have a bit more (I don't know if) public sympathy (is the right word) if there was been an uprising. Then the government could have said "well look. we tried to be peaceful*, but they attacked us with advanced weaponry and we had to put them away or else they could have killed us all!" and then the public would go "well... okay. lets put em in the concentration camp two hundred kilometers away and not give a damn about them"

*lie.
uhhhh fuck.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Rippy wrote:Oh one more thing I didn't understand:

When they're rooting through the garbage, they're only looking for alien technology. Obviously, this was all on the ship initially. Couldn't Christopher have extracted the fuel from their spare equipment while still in the mothership? Their ship had enough fuel sitting around in it to take them home, but he had to wait until it was spread out in junkyards to start looking for it. I realize he probably couldn't extract it all in 3 months (the time before humans bore a hole in the ship), but you'd think he'd at least collect all the spare parts up somewhere in the ship where humans wouldn't find him and extract it there? From previews I understood that he was distilling the fuel from Earth waste, which made more sense to me.
I was of the impression that Christopher didn't know he was going to need the extra fuel until he was trapped down here already. We don't know why the smaller craft detached, but I felt that Christopher found and "hid" it, thinking it might prove useful later, and then started collecting the fluid.

Spoiler:
animeHrmIne wrote:The eggs. Oh my gods, that was horrendous. It was bad enough when he was pulling the life support out of the larvae, but burning the entire shack of eggs mad me sick.
I had trouble processing that at first. He was pulling the life support lines out and I was sitting there like what are you doing? that can't be good for them! stop that! Then, when they called the guy with the flamethrower over I was thinking abort? did he just say abort? are they going to -- Oh me yarm! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:51 am UTC

Enuja wrote:Reply to annals
Spoiler:
On expecting Wikus to deal better with being turned into an alien: I am a crazy idealist who thinks that, yes, aliens should be able to deal with being turned into humans and humans should be able to deal with being turned into aliens and men should be able to deal with being turned in to women, and such like. I know that our current society values strongly corporeal self images, but, philosophically, I have a problem with it, and Wikus' problems with being turned into an alien are, to me, symptomatic with our cultural obsession with the importance of a self image tied to the physical.

The contents of this spoiler were written quite angrily. The subject is the sort of thing that really sets me off.
Spoiler:
When that transition from one state to the other involves a slow, cancerous consumption of one's existing body as it is torn apart by the transformative process, can you not see why someone would be the slightest bit irked about it? If every feature you've ever looked upon as part of your healthy happy self started to twist and flake off or explode into sores, would you not be concerned!?
Wikus looked like some kind of tumour-ridden leper by the final battle, don't even try for a moment to claim that experience wasn't some sort of hellish blur as goes from living his ordinary life to being a wanted fugitive with some horrible disease devouring his body all the while. Crawling its way up his form bit by bit, tireless in it's progress. And through it all, he has no way of even knowing if he'll survive. And what heppens when it gets to his brain? You think any information may get lost along the way when his skull get remodelled into a fucking deep one? Regardless of racial politics the man has every fucking reason to be terrified with what's going on during the span of the film. In the epilogue, after full conversion, he seems to be doing Ok for himself. And in three years time, when Chris returns if Wikky's first in line for the humanizer so he can go back to his human wife and do whatever he wants to do with his life, would you stand in his way? What's wrong with being a human?

And I can only hope someone who's experienced some form of bodily dysmorphism comes by and kicks you in the face for expecting having one's body hijacked and reshaped into something that is very much not yourself to have no effect on their mental health.

The rest of this post is much less hostile, though it could be tainted by sitting next to this rather irate blurb.
Enuja wrote:On the intelligence of the aliens:
Spoiler:
I think it was the person talking about the control module/small ship who said that most of the aliens weren't too smart, and they were right about that part. Also, as Christopher, his son, and the doomed alien are picking through the trash, the doomed alien can't tell what technology is their technology and what is human technology, but the son can. With those two things together, I think that the film is telling us that the many of the aliens were leaderless, aimless, and drone-like (although apparently many of them learned to understand English, which seems to be quite a feat of intelligence to me). So the film isn't making the bulk of the aliens easy to love and value. But humans seen as "lesser peoples" often have different morals and behavior and do things that are abhorrent to the powerful people. I really think that making the aliens hard to love was a good move on the part of the writer, and part of making the issue a difficult one. I think it's still absolutely the right thing to do to value the aliens and not exploit them, but that doesn't mean it's easy to respect them, and it doesn't mean that most of them were actually really smart.

Well,
Spoiler:
Maybe Chris's friend just doesn't have a technical education? Could have one of any number of non-mechanical jobs before arriving on Earth, or could even have been born locally and so never gotten a proper education. After nearly thirty years of living in a shack struggling just to survive, can you blame the guy for not knowing one chunk of metal debris from another if this tech shit was never his job in the first place? Chris's kid, on the other hand, has been raised by some manner of scientist or engineer and been exposed to samples of their own tech all his life. Whatever notable traits set our stuff apart from theirs would be far more sharp in his mind. Also, a bright-eyed optimistic youngster is probably putting a lot more attention into the task than a world-weary refugee. For that kid, every scrap of material they find is another step closer to that pretty seven-mooned ball that daddy speaks so fondly of. It's a bit of an adventure, a game even, where the payoff is spending the rest of your life in paradise. It would be hard for someone whose been on the ground longer to keep up that kind of motivation. They could have been fishing through that garbage pile for hours before we got to them, during which the adult is getting tired and bored and just wanting to get this shit over with 'cause he has to go buy food and patch that hole in the wall and make sure that bastard !zx'lssr# hasn't been stealing from him again...

Meanwhile, all Chris Junior's thinking is that the next old power module he finds may be the one that let him and dad go home.

Or maybe both of us are using a single isolated incident, devoid of context, to make broad sweeping judgements about people, cultures, and whole damn species. (Which is exactly the kind of thing that enables a lot unpleasant racial thinking.)

Really, if you took a random slice of Earth's population and dropped them in a desert, how many do you think would be able to refine rocket fuel from garbage, construct a nuclear reactor, or some other impressive technical feat? And how would you feel if I used this inability to build it in a cave from a box of scraps to declare that the majority of say, Danes, are dull-minded drones incapable of intelligent thought. Would you say I was full of shit? If not, there's a eugenicist's club whose newletter I'm sure you'd love.

Spacemilk, that's a really good guess for the explanation of that scene. My spouse finally saw the movie, and one of the things that he criticized it for was not enough transition scenes and not giving the viewer a good mental layout of where everything was happening.
Spoiler:
The kid is indeed the one controlling the control module/small ship, and we agreed that it's quite possible that the Nigerians, power armor, and Wikus were a long distance from Christopher. Therefore, even if the kid (who does really like Wikus) is specifically controlling the power armor, we just can't tell where Wikus and Christopher are in relation to each other because transit time, locations, and what's going on between scenes it isn't communicated clearly by the film.

Spoiler:
I thought it was just an automatic thing, myself. The kid's starting up the ship put everything on alert, the suit came on, saw a bunch of hostile Aliens and Iced them. Wikus had been converted enough that the suit saw him as friendly, so once the area was clear of hazzards it opened up to let him take control. (whatever system in use having assumed that he's able to pilot it.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
When I vomit black blood and lose my nails, teeth and flesh while my skeletal structure realigns itself to something alien, my first thought is usually "How will this affect my guitar playing?"

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 am UTC

Re: Alien intelligence, according to comments by the director:
Spoiler:
The aliens are a hive-society, with a worker's caste and a leader's caste, all working under a Queen leader. Once the queen and all the leaders died, (which caused the ship to head for the nearest habitable planet) the workers just didn't have any drive or aim anymore. Christopher Johnson was some sort of freak of nature that the hive subconsciously developed while possibly waiting for a Queen egg that was lying somewhere to hatch.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:33 am UTC

Yuri2356, your explanation for my question is the same as Spacemilk's, and I think that you are probably both correct.

It doesn't make that much sense to spend much time with anger at a position of mine that I called crazy. My whole point was that I was praising the film.
Spoiler:
You agree that Winkus starts out as a racist fuck, right? What with the gleeful population control and other obvious issues? What I was praising was the fact that Winkus remains a deeply flawed character. He is still horrified at the aliens around him throughout the film, and he protects Christopher, not out of love, but out of hate for the humans who kill gleefully. I agree that it would be insanely unrealistic and obnoxious for Wikus to suddenly love the aliens as he's being transformed into one. It's just that many films have icky protagonists completely "reformed" to some external moral system, but this protagonist is still stupid, obnoxious, and speciesist, while he's helping the aliens. That's what makes this film really amazing.

While your analysis of determining alien intelligence makes sense if we were talking about a real documentary or about reality, it's not racist or otherwise inappropriate to accept the clues deliberately placed in a film to communicate a particular fact about the film's universe. I think that it's clear that the movie itself is stating that
Spoiler:
most of the aliens were not as smart as your average human, but Christopher was wildly more intelligent than any human who has ever existed.
Mother Superior's comments about what the director said about the aliens fits very well with what I saw the film as trying to communicate.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:Yuri2356, your explanation for my question is the same as Spacemilk's, and I think that you are probably both correct.

It doesn't make that much sense to spend much time with anger at a position of mine that I called crazy. My whole point was that I was praising the film.
Spoiler:
You agree that Winkus starts out as a racist fuck, right? What with the gleeful population control and other obvious issues? What I was praising was the fact that Winkus remains a deeply flawed character. He is still horrified at the aliens around him throughout the film, and he protects Christopher, not out of love, but out of hate for the humans who kill gleefully. I agree that it would be insanely unrealistic and obnoxious for Wikus to suddenly love the aliens as he's being transformed into one. It's just that many films have icky protagonists completely "reformed" to some external moral system, but this protagonist is still stupid, obnoxious, and speciesist, while he's helping the aliens. That's what makes this film really amazing.

Spoiler:
Oh, of course! Though I think even with the atrocities, punishing MNU isn't as much a priority as curing his space-cancer until around the time the final battle rolls around. Fighting to stay human is what kept him on his feet.

If I get Chris the tube, he can make me normal again! -> "Take cover! be careful! Think of your kid!"

Three years!? -> *thwack*

While your analysis of determining alien intelligence makes sense if we were talking about a real documentary or about reality, it's not racist or otherwise inappropriate to accept the clues deliberately placed in a film to communicate a particular fact about the film's universe. I think that it's clear that the movie itself is stating that
Spoiler:
most of the aliens were not as smart as your average human, but Christopher was wildly more intelligent than any human who has ever existed.
Mother Superior's comments about what the director said about the aliens fits very well with what I saw the film as trying to communicate.

And I'm quite disappointed that the director wanted to go that way,
Spoiler:
since what we see of them can be explained as much by education, culture, and simple attitude as by some innate level of intelligence. We don't see them do much that hasn't been done by oppressed and impoverished humans. The only things that set Chris appart are having a better grasp of English than the others we talk to, and having a plan to get the fuck off of Earth that relies mostly on him living on top of the command module. You go from 'good with languages and technically competent' to 'wildly more intelligent than any human ever' based on what is, in my eyes, absolutely nothing. Most of those aliens have nothing to live for, and so do nothing with their lives. Chris has a plan, and a child, and it's just enough to keep him going.

Anyway, the author is dead. I can read the film however I'd like, and the only suggestion of the aliens just being stupid that I see is a bunch of speculation by talking heads. Stuff that fells pretty well in line with what social Darwinists once said about every race, religion, creed, and social class. There's plenty of precedent for that sort of thing in our history.

Also, it would be nice to have an alien society that doesn't use 'beehive' as a template. That shit's been driven into the ground.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Couple of things, mostly disjointed thoughts
Spoiler:
Weren't the creatures super strong and agile? I mean, they kicked a man's arm off and everything. I mean, these were people who were much stronger than humans, had weapons that were light years ahead of anything that we have... granted, I don't think anyone saw what they actually did before Wikus arrived... come to think of it, wouldn't Wikus's legs have broken when he went into that suit? I don't think your legs would bend the same way an alien's would... I'm getting off topic). What I mean to say is that the aliens, 9/10 if we came to fighting, would kill us, no trouble at all. The only thing stopping them was the same reason the people had so much control over them: lack of initiative. Knowing that, could you really honestly say that you wouldn't do the same? I'm not saying that MNU/South Africa was right, but scared people do stupid things, and maybe that would kind of explain why things turned out the way it did.

I'm pretty sure the prawn mouth parts moved more when they were agitated. I wasn't really paying close attention to them at the points where they weren't agitated though. Do you guys remember if Wikus's mouth parts were moving at the very end?

Anybody else pissed that Wikus went to a separate line from all the black people?

About all the stuff at the beginning, about Trail derailments and the like: Old guy talking about his wife being taken, I don't think he was lying. It probably would have been dishonest/propaganda-like for a documentary to show it like that, especially since the documentary was actually trying to show how the aliens were constantly being mistreated. Plus, I find it more interesting if we think that, culturally, we were too different for us to really understand each other. I mean, they derail trains for fun, we don't like it when they do that. Does that automatically mean that we can't live together? Can't interact at all without mistreatment? We can compromise.On the other hand, if they didn't have any leadership at all, it's difficult for us to really agree on anything with them. Maybe that does mean we can't really live with them

Also, stupid sociologist guy at the end, saying "Some of the kookier conspiracy theories believe that Wikus was being held by the MNU somewhere, blah blah blah" presenting the people who think so as crazy, even though it had already happened once, and in fact they were attempting to capture him again just before the final footage of Wikus was taken.

I may have come off more devil's advocate than I would have liked during this post

Fook

Edit: Apparently it's spelled Wikus
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Couple of things, mostly disjointed thoughts
Spoiler:
Weren't the creatures super strong and agile? I mean, they kicked a man's arm off and everything. I mean, these were people who were much stronger than humans, had weapons that were light years ahead of anything that we have... granted, I don't think anyone saw what they actually did before Wikus arrived... come to think of it, wouldn't Wikus's legs have broken when he went into that suit? I don't think your legs would bend the same way an alien's would... I'm getting off topic). What I mean to say is that the aliens, 9/10 if we came to fighting, would kill us, no trouble at all. The only thing stopping them was the same reason the people had so much control over them: lack of initiative. Knowing that, could you really honestly say that you wouldn't do the same? I'm not saying that MNU/South Africa was right, but scared people do stupid things, and maybe that would kind of explain why things turned out the way it did.

Spoiler:
Lack of heavy weaponry. Yes, they had particle hand gun and maybe one or two of those cool exoskeletons, but the exoskeleton went down from, essentially small arms fire, and the particle weapons could probably stand their own against infantry, but seeing as how we have tanks and planes and bombs and missiles and shit, they'd be screwed. And that's if they were able to organize, which the movie makes pretty clear that they are not.
- Hesiod, Theogony

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:47 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Re: Alien intelligence, according to comments by the director:
Spoiler:
The aliens are a hive-society, with a worker's caste and a leader's caste, all working under a Queen leader. Once the queen and all the leaders died, (which caused the ship to head for the nearest habitable planet) the workers just didn't have any drive or aim anymore. Christopher Johnson was some sort of freak of nature that the hive subconsciously developed while possibly waiting for a Queen egg that was lying somewhere to hatch.

More on this.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Just saw this last night. First, a quick answer to a few things:

Spoiler:
Mo0man wrote: come to think of it, wouldn't Wikus's legs have broken when he went into that suit?

They did.. that's why he showed intense pain when he first got into it, and why he couldn't walk after he got out of it.

Doomed Alien:
Spoiler:
To translate to human society, he was a gangster. You could tell this by looking at how he was dressed, how he acted, and even by the fact that Wikus clearly pointed out the gang signs on his house. So... add Chris in, and you get a thug hanging out w/a smart guy and his kid. Makes perfect sense that he wouldn't be able to distinguish small components from alien or human. I'm sure he'd recognize vehicles/guns/etc

Quick note on human emotion in aliens:
The thing that bothered me most were the eyes. Here you have an entirely alien constructed body, complete w/it's own emotional subset... but it's like they just gave up on the eyes. I don't know if it's because they couldn't think of a way to translate all of the emotions we show w/out using human eyes... or if they just wanted the crowd to fall in love/feel sympathetic for the aliens so badly that they had to use bright blue baby eyes (Chris's kid).

************************* My thoughts ***************************

There were some parts about the movie that I liked, but there were a LOT of inconsistencies thrown around so quickly that I spent more time nerdily trying to make sense of things than enjoying the movie.

Spoiler:
No Uprising:
As mentioned a few times already, there was no uprising. The weapons were WAY more advanced and could do unspeakable things... and apparently the aliens amassed them and made them on a regular basis... but never used them. What? And we saw Chris make a bomb in about 5 seconds! Now, of course we've already discussed that Chris is much more advanced than his fellows for whatever reason... but other weapons *were* made, so obviously he wasn't the only one capable of doing so. Granted, taking on the entire world would be a rather large task, but there were 1.2 million of them at the time, and w/the eggs, and the fact that they doubled in size in just a few years, I'm guessing a hostile takeover could have easily happened. It also seemed that they had the mentality to do so, given the amount of crime and poor living conditions they endured on a regular basis.

And if a half transformed human could cause all that wreckage w/the exoskeleton.... imagine what one of those trained warrior "bees" could do with it.

Being Controlled...:
Similar to my problem w/no uprising, but more on inconsistencies. So they show prawns out in the populace... but then they show them all being contained.... but then they get out... and then they're contained again. Huh? And apparently all the signs everywhere show that society at least had some expectation of the prawns being in public... yet they weren't unless it was footage of an outbreak or something. Very inconsistent. Also, the weapons. They'd steal human technology, but were perfectly fine leaving bright, shiny SAMs and other defensive armaments perfectly alone. Those missiles seemed incredibly out of place.

Pace of Fights:
EVERY fight bothered me!!! Tons of action... then nothing. Dead on shots from a guy in a helicopter.. then missing a blatant target w/multiple clips. Robot death exo-skeleton that can obliterate everything in it's path.... that just stands there for awhile so it can take some hits. It can grab a fired RPG out of the air... but apparently has to sit out in the open and not attack for a fair fight. I mean, this is something that can be griped about in almost every action movie, but it seemed INCREDIBLY bad in this one.

The Whole Alien/Human Dynamic:
It was SO hard for me to place Wikus. In one instance he seems like a racist w/out any care for the aliens at all... then the next he's telling people to put their weapons down and treat them nicely (and I'm talking about back in the beginning, before the transformation, he swapped back and forth from extremes very quickly). It killed Wikus's initial character development for me. And the way they deal w/deaths... on BOTH sides!

"Ok.. treat the alien w/respect" to "ahh fuckit.. kill it."

"Hey boss.. I didn't get any armor"
"Don't worry about it, you'll be fine"
small scuffle, human goes flying
"Oh well, looks like Jenkins is dead. What's the next house on the list?"

There was no tension at ALL when they were serving those eviction notices. It's as if threat and death were just random adjectives in the district.

The Eviction Notices:
You're going to serve 1.2 million eviction notices and get all of that processed in 24 hours? Really. Yeah fucking right. Even in the movie they made the concept laughable by saying, "look, he hit it, that's his scroll." It was such a horrible plot element to begin with that it shouldn't have even been included.

I might have more later, but I need to get some things done.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Phrozt is completely correct that there are all kinds of plot holes/inconsistences/annoyances/nitpicky problems throughout the film. If you can ignore those things and revel in the themes and ideas, go for it, but if your films have to make sense upon deep inspection, just avoid this film. It is not flawless. If you can't suspend disbelief, don't watch it.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

First half: Very obvious and very brutal. But it needed to be that way.
Second half: Fairly generic sci-fi action. Not a bad thing though.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:Phrozt is completely correct that there are all kinds of plot holes/inconsistences/annoyances/nitpicky problems throughout the film. If you can ignore those things and revel in the themes and ideas, go for it, but if your films have to make sense upon deep inspection, just avoid this film. It is not flawless. If you can't suspend disbelief, don't watch it.

I can actually ignore plot holes to the point that it pisses my friends off. I enjoyed all of the matrix/star wars/LOTR movies. ALL of them. Usually I just get absorbed into the story and my head just fills in whatever is weak.

But like I said previously... the inconsistencies in this movie were so blaringly obvious that I honestly had a hard time getting myself into the movie, because my brain kept going "WTF??!?!?@ Wait what?? But that just... what???" every 5 minutes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

I am a big fan of the willing suspension of disbelief. Comon people, it's called an imagination, use yours.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

I didn't have any problem with perceived plot holes... I actually can't think of any, to be honest. I can understand folks' problems with the execution (although I disagree, I see the point). But most of what's been called plot holes seems more like situations where the viewer just thinks "well, I would've handled that differently".

Re: Wikus-
He's hard to place because he's a more realistic suit-and-tie racist. He acts in a way that he can tell himself he's being compassionate, in order to justify that what he's doing on the whole is pretty damn deplorable. (Andrew Jackson comes to mind as a good example. He adopted one Native American child whose parents had been killed in a battle, and raised him as his own.) He talks and acts a lot like what I'd expect the apartheid-era apartheid-supporting white establishment to act.

I mean, not all racists go about waving a swastika or three-7s flag, bluntly talking about how whites are superior. Many will put it in terms that sound justifiable (at least to themselves).

There was a good line Wikus had that demonstrates this. When they first saw Chris's kid outside the house, he says to the others: "See, this is why we need to get them while they're still eggs" (paraphrased). Because killing them before they hatch is "more compassionate" than killing them afterwards. KF
~Kizyr

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:I can actually ignore plot holes to the point that it pisses my friends off. I enjoyed all of the matrix/star wars/LOTR movies. ALL of them. Usually I just get absorbed into the story and my head just fills in whatever is weak.
In my opinion, the plot holes/inconsistencies in the Matrix trilogy are far more glaring, and difficult to watch, than those in this film. I suggest that the difference between how you saw this film and others is within yourself, or the environment you saw the film, rather than in the film itself.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

After reading Kizyr's post, I'd like to change "plot holes" to "poor execution" in my statement. That's what I originally meant from when I posted it the first time, but I got in the habit of saying plot holes. I don't really think there were many plot holes per se in D9... but the execution of what was provided hurt my brain.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

The aliens are somewhat human-like because this, like pretty much every alien story ever told in which the aliens are more than an undeveloped stock-character enemy, is really a metaphor for human interactions. People won't care what you have to say about aliens if their so alien that we don't care what happens to them.

Phrozt wrote:Robot death exo-skeleton that can obliterate everything in it's path.... that just stands there for awhile so it can take some hits. It can grab a fired RPG out of the air... but apparently has to sit out in the open and not attack for a fair fight.

When it obliterates everything it's being controlled automatically or by the kid. After that it's Wikus controlling it, and obviously he's not as good at it. Catching the RPG could be a function of him having learned better how to control things by then, and also that was the only thing happening at that point and he saw it start to launch. Hell, I suspect a naked human at the right distance could react in time to get an RPG to hit his or her hand. Things just would have been messier after it exploded.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”