Terminator Salvation

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mysidic

Terminator Salvation

Postby Mysidic » Sat May 23, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

I didn't see a thread for this, so I thought I'd start it.

I saw Terminator: Salvation last night.

I thought it was okay enough, and even had a little more plot than I expected out of it.(but not much more) However, it was a standard summer action flick.

Spoiler:
Anyone notice how when Marcus and kyle and Star escapes San francisco and get to that 7-11 with people in it, that giant robot somehow sneaks up on them despite making a load of noise?

Discuss!
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

Jourdy289

Re: Terminator Salvation

Postby Jourdy289 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Oi, haven't seen it yet, sounds interesting though! :mrgreen:
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:57 am UTC

I was very satisfied considering:
1: This made me feel less angry about T:SCC being canceled
2: Pretty solid plot/drama (especially for a summer movie)
3: I was expecting crap; rotten tomatoes has it at like 30% Though, if you actually read the reviews, a lot of them are incredibly stupid and baseless.
Mysidic wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyone notice how when Marcus and kyle and Star escapes San francisco and get to that 7-11 with people in it, that giant robot somehow sneaks up on them despite making a load of noise?
Spoiler:
I assume it rode in on the H/K, since that seems to be its primary means of transportation. There wouldn't be much noise until it dismounted, by which point its arms were already smashing in the walls.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

While I enjoyed the action (firefights, chase scenes etc) I found there was FAR too much machine vs human hand to hand combat. I mean come on, they're complex and extremely strong robots. How is it they just throw people around instead of crushing them?

Spoiler:
I'm somewhat confused by the time travel bits too. How did Skynet KNOW that Reese was important? Conner knows Reese was important because his mom presumably left him a letter telling him so. I always thought Skynet (in the future) sent things to the past after realizing "oh crap John Conner is really wrecking our forces here and we can't kill him now, so we might as well try to do it in the past." I guess looking back they clearly have SOME way of knowing what happens in the past that they're trying to alter, since they sent a BETTER terminator back each of the subsequent times. No real explanation of HOW they know this though.

Anyways, neglecting how they know Reese is important, why the hell didn't they just immediately kill him after identifying him? Ok I can understand maybe using him to lure Conner to you, but once he was AT the facility just kill him and be done with it. Why risk letting him get rescued? For an extremely manipulative and cunning computer with its whole "use the half man/half machine hybrid to secretely lure Conner to us" plan it seems to fail at pretty simple details.

I did crack up at one point when they were being ushered into the who robot factory thing. Did anyone else notice the terminator that was standing guard wearing a bandana? Or was that just me seeing something incorrectly?

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue May 26, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Lots of explosions and overall about what I'd expect from a Terminator film. Not a particularly good movie, but it was fun.

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Tue May 26, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

I have yet to watch the film but I was skeptical of watching it 'cause I didnt want to go and see it and it suck.

So I let my brother go instead and he told me he liked it yet he felt as though something was missing and he coulnd't feel out quite what it was. He also mentioned that there were a "TON" of explosions in the movie.
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue May 26, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Man, why would anyone program a robot to monologue to it's own robots. I mean, what the fuck? What possible purpose could skynet, a supposedly extremely intelligent AI bent on the destruction of humans need to gloat to a robot. I wonder if it brings in random terminantors and just gloats to them. "Ahahahaha, you see, my plan was to use robots which are better than humans to kill humans. And it's working. Ahahahahah. Wait... why aren't you laughing? Oh right, I didn't program laughter into the t300 series. Well, I'll remember to put that in... yes..."

Also, I hate seeing the interaction between the terminator and the female pilot. It was horrible, and bothered me on such a basic level.

Also, Christian Bale can't act.

I still had fun at the theater. Not a good movie though.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Tue May 26, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:Lots of explosions and overall about what I'd expect from a Terminator film. Not a particularly good movie, but it was fun.
IFLP
I was quite surprised by the sheer number of mythology gags from the original movie. There were quite a large number of callback lines, and visula references such as the crawling terminator in the beginning.

One thing that made the film extra-special for me was that T:S was filmed in my home state. I recognized a great number of specific locations, as well as the general scenery feeling very familiar.
Spoiler:
The scene with the aerial H/K and the bridge was filmed at Taos Gorge, where I have been several times, and the scene with the "concrete tombstones" at the border of Skynet is a diversion channel on the north side of town. The minefield scenes were filmed near the Rio Grande River, about 4 miles from my house. I go hiking and biking there not infrequently. There was a fire there a few years ago, which cleared the undergrowth and adds some warzone ambiance. Also, those pointy metal things were not props, but old barriers designed to trap debris during a flood.

I really liked the film cinematography-wise-- I'm a big fan of that shaky, handheld feel.
Spoiler:
I think that the first ten minutes were some of the most strikingly filmed scenes I have ever seen. The dishes being bombed, throwing out and anchorpoint while simultaneously jumping into the pit, watching the earth spin around the damaged helicopter... I was in awe. The film did seem to feel that "war is dusty and brown", and although it did add mood, it was a bit cliché.

Regarding the 60ft high robot
Spoiler:
Yeah, that really baffled me. Even if if did ride in on the gunship, it's not like those are exactly silent either. Those jet engines are mighty big. On the subject of sound, I really liked the deep bellows of the machines... but I think that sound effect was stolen from the most recent War of the Worlds film.

To tell the truth, the writing was simply not strong enough for me to care about the plot. The visuals and action were brilliant, but as a story the film was weak.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Delass

Postby Delass » Thu May 28, 2009 2:52 am UTC

It was fun, and Il see the next two if they make them, but it wasnt as good as I was hoping it would be. Some of the scenes in TSCC were superior, in terms of mood and story, and it couldn't touch the first time I watched T1 and T2. The cinematography was definitely awesome, as were the explosions.
Spoiler:
I was a little annoyed with when the terminator broke the door off its hinges and was just throwing John Connor around. It just knocked a steel door off its hinges, and it can't just kill a human? I know they cant just have him get punched in the head and die, series over, but do something else. They had enough homage to the originals, why not have a run-from-the-terminator scene?

the sarah connor tapes were kinda cool.

If you read the prequel, it kinda nicely setup the rock music he used to takedown the motorcycle terminator.

I hope movies 4 and 5 are as good/better.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

I can't decide if it was worse then Terminator 3 or not. Not much better in any case.

The first scene was fantastic with,
Spoiler:
The bomb going off, helicopter crashing with shakycam from the inside, A-10s bombing the bigger robots, and the upper torso of the terminator dragging itself after Conner, etc.

but after that the movie was all downhill.

The Terminators (the human sized metal ones) looked and moved freaking awesomely, but the plot was pretty awful and nonsensical. The few decent action scenes has energetic but mostly uninspired directing.

So many goddamn plot holes and retarded inclusions.
For example:
Spoiler:
The motorcycle terminators having fucking status monitors? usb inputs??
Why marcus wasn't just programmed to kill conner?
How exactly can they make a perfect human/cyborg before they can make a t-800 (arnold)?
Only 1 terminator guarding the interior of skynet?? and only 1 big robot guarding the exterior?
like someone mentioned, why would skynet need to give a speech to one of it's own robots??
silent robots the size of skyscrapers? what are they, just really sneaky?
why does skynet look designed to be human accommodating?
so much more...

oh and fuck that stupid little mute kid. Ripping off Aliens will not make your script suck less.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Thu May 28, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

The poster above me has summed up my feelings precisely.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu May 28, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:I can't decide if it was worse then Terminator 3 or not. Not much better in any case.

So many goddamn plot holes and retarded inclusions.
For example:
Spoiler:
How exactly can they make a perfect human/cyborg before they can make a t-800 (arnold)?
Only 1 terminator guarding the interior of skynet?? and only 1 big robot guarding the exterior?
like someone mentioned, why would skynet need to give a speech to one of it's own robots??
so much more...

I agree with all, but some of the human interfaces/building designs are understandable, since skynet most probably uses old man-made parts and buildings. Scrapping human, and upgrading him into a cyborg is assumed as easier way to make an infiltrator than making a machine that resembles human in almost every way out of parts, but even this doesn't change the fact that this movie sucks.
Spoiler:
The scene with skynet talking to him? I agree - Royal W.T.F. - even if it had to be explained, why not in some more wise and cunning way. They could let him get to know this trough the data files he was looking trough. Then there could be few skynet bad faces and order to disconnect Marcus. He would pull out the chip and run away.
Why did they even heal his skin? If skynet is so smart, why didn't it scrap him at once, and rebuild into really useful killing model or pull out the battery when he started "malfunctioning"?

Anyway, big sneaky robot wins 10 Interskynets.

About the skynet communication technology:
Spoiler:
What does this "signal" actually do? And does skynet communicate with and steer the robots or are they all self sufficient, or both? T and T2 say that at least the latter is true (how could non self sufficient (in the matter of choices and "thinking") robot survive in the past without the skynet?). If robots receive something like a signal, that means the first case is also true. If so, this "signal" can be nothing more than a fake message from skynet saying "switch off". I doubt sentient supercomputer would not encrypt its controlling messages though.

As action movie this is something above the average like 7/10, sci-fi merely 6/10 (funny, but mostly because of the few good references to old Terminator), geeky ppl should say 4/10 (for the flaws), and as a comparison to the TSCC series I can tell, that second season was better than this movie. Next two will need to get better reviews or i am not even wasting my time on them.

EDIT:
Almost forgot:
Spoiler:
Another wtf moment. Heat of molten metal didn't break sophisticated electronics of Terminator, yet decapitation killed it. How surprising, that robot weak spots are also human weak spots. It will surely mislead the enemy, who are humans used to fight humans.

SpazzyMcGee

Postby SpazzyMcGee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

Yubtzock wrote:
Spoiler:
Another wtf moment. Heat of molten metal didn't break sophisticated electronics of Terminator, yet decapitation killed it. How surprising, that robot weak spots are also human weak spots. It will surely mislead the enemy, who are humans used to fight humans.

Spoiler:
All circuitry is within the skull casing of the T-800. I little bit of slag shouldn't be able to damage it all too much. Decapitation however removes the processing unit from its power source. It makes sense to me at least.

My Time Travel Woes:
Spoiler:
Johns father said that Judgment Day would be in 1997. It wasn't because of all the time travelers screwing up the time line. Despite this his father in the past doesn't dissapear Back to the Future style. This proves that no matter what happens, nothing can undo the past. Not even if Johns dad is killed while he is still a teenager, he will still have gone back in time to be his father via the initial reality (before anyone went back in time). Despite this John Conner goes hysterical trying to find his dad saying if he dies then all of humanity dies.

On top of that it isn't clear why John Conner is important at all. They had the frequency that disables Skynet's signal. If John Conner had not stopped the attack Skynet would have been decimated if not utterly destroyed. Because of John actions humanity has lost its leadership. If anything John is helping the machines.

My Marcus Ailment:
Spoiler:
Skynet says Marcus was some sort of deep undercover machine operative used in Skynets master plan to merely bring John to it. For a supercomputer, it sure as hell was a terrible plan. There were so many ridiculous free variables. That nuclear detonation could have destroyed Marcus in the beginning. He walks off aimlessly after getting clothes and might have not come into contact with anyone of importance for weeks, which is a big deal considering Skynet said its plans would be accomplished in a mere week. Nothing but mere chance brought Marcus to Reese Conner. Again, nothing but chance brought Reese to John Conner. If he hadn't met John Conner the plan would have been undone. If he hadn't met Reese John would not have followed him to Skynet. Upon reaching Skynet they only sick a single T-800 after John while simultaneously letting Marcus go to save John should he choose to do so.

It was so ridiculous. There were to many free variables. The movie can be summed up as thus: Random shit happens until the end where then Skynet says "Ah ha! It was my plan all along!" despite none of prior events adding up to anythign specific.

But the beginning was indeed awesome. When that computerized camera perspective came buzzing over the low terrain you think it was one of the machines only to find it fly over what looks like the Very Large Array and get shot at by several massive AA Skynet machines. Some cool combat follows, and then my favorite scence in the movie where John gets into a helicopter, takes off, a nuclear explosion goes off, and then he crashes and gets out. That was all one single shot. I was amazed. Then you had that robot torso go after him which was a nice touch as it was a nice small scale opportunistic scuffle to contrast the massive battle that just took place. As some one pointed out already, it went down hill from there.

The one thing I loved about the movie throughout was the machine designs. Every last thing about them was cool, from looks to sounds.

One other thing I liked:
Spoiler:
Unlike the previous 3 Terminator movies, the protagonist wasn't being hounded by an unstoppable killing machine. It was nice they added that in at the end when John was being chased around by the T-800. The young Arnold cameo was extremely enjoyable.

Overall despite it sucking as a movie I highly recommend it. It was a fun 2 hours.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 am UTC

I was listening to Bale and thinking, "He is really doing the Batman voice"
Spoiler:
Also, the signal didn't work. It was a trap. Skynet got the human resistance command centre to broadcast the (fake) signal so that they could track them down and kill them. So really, John Connor saved the lives of all those pilots, and ended up blowing up the San Francisco branch of Skynet anyways.

The real question is this: How the fuck did they get all those Choppers into Skynet? If it was some sort of elaborate trap to pull in the resistance and finish them, shouldn't they have a better plan than "Hey look, they're coming in exactly as planned. Lets just let them in and then let them go"

Also, the T-800 is clearly stronger than Marcus, they were just designed to do different things. One was meant to infiltrate, one was meant to be a tank thing. One was meant to be mass produced, one was supposed to be this one time thing

Also, to SpazzyMcGee: Kyle Reese and John Connor are different people. I know that Reese is his father and everything, but Connor took his mother's name, since everyone in the 80's/90's thought she was insane.

Spoiler:
John Connor was kind of the inspiration for many people in the Resistance. Killing him screw over morale.
Alternate explanation: They magically knew he would lead after they killed the current leaders, the same way they magically knew Kyle Reese would one day be important
Spoiler:
I remember thinking they totally overreacted when Marcus escaped from the resistance. I mean, Really? This one robot escaped? I mean the safety of the base may be lost if he contacts Skynet, but they had already brought him into the base once, and there's that whole "constant wireless communication" Skynet has with most of it's bots, it's mostly a lost cause. Evacuate and find a new base. Don't freak the fuck out and get careless in the river where they know that there are killer leech robot things.
Also: Magnetic Mines. and Motorcycles that ride on top of them.

On a not entirely unrelated note, anybody know which scene it was where Bale did his famous "What the fuck is wrong with you" speech
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Yubtzock wrote:About the skynet communication technology:
Spoiler:
What does this "signal" actually do? And does skynet communicate with and steer the robots or are they all self sufficient, or both? T and T2 say that at least the latter is true (how could non self sufficient (in the matter of choices and "thinking") robot survive in the past without the skynet?). If robots receive something like a signal, that means the first case is also true. If so, this "signal" can be nothing more than a fake message from skynet saying "switch off". I doubt sentient supercomputer would not encrypt its controlling messages though.

Spoiler:
It was pretty clearly explained that it was a decoy signal to find the location of the Resistance's HQ, which it did pretty well.

Regarding time travel, and I've been thinking this through in my head, and it seems to me that the "correct" history of the franchise depends entirely on the narrator/lead of the given movie. The first movie is Kyle Reese and Sarah Conner's movie. Everything that occurs in the movie has already occurred for Kyle, and John Connor knows about it, but hasn't told Kyle, so Kyle is a somewhat unreliable narrator. Following his timeline, he HAS to go back in time so the first movie HAS to occur so CyberDyne HAS to get the T-800's arm and partial CPU in order to create Skynet and eventually cause Judgment Day. This suggests that time is immutable. Okay, fine, I'm fine with that until the second movie comes along, but then we wouldn't know any of the other info we knew in the second, but are still left with the understanding that Judgment Day is coming due to the photo taken at the end of the movie that Kyle eventually ends up with. This does bring up the question of how much Skynet actually knew about the events in this time period. Did it really expect to kill Sarah, or did it send the first Terminator back simply to ensure its own creation, knowing that it would fail?

However, as a result of the second movie's events, which are now in Sarah and John's POVs, time was muddled because everything the T-800 told Sarah failed to come true as a result of its and the T-1000's trips back (Dyson dies and CyberDyne's office is destroyed along with the physical CPU and arm from the first movie) - assuming the T-800 was a reliable storyteller, which may or may not be true. Now, it's pretty clear that Skynet knew one of its T-800s would eventually go back in time and could have programmed an incorrect history into that series and that when the Resistance was only able to reprogram the T-800's core programming and not its memory circuits, but I find that hard to believe. This goes back to my previous question. The T-800 knows how Judgment Day starts, so Skynet knows, so it has at least some knowledge of the events of the first movie, suggesting that it genuinely believes it can kill John, which ultimately leads to Judgment Day not occurring as planned. So, with Terminator 2, we now know that the future is not immutable, but since Sarah Conner is more or less our point of view for the first two movies, we're following her view of history. So, if the series were to have ended here, would might believe that Judgment Day was avoided, which is what the ending is suggesting. This suggests that time diverges every time a time traveller goes back in time.

At this point we can assume that there's multiple timelines that diverge every time a time traveler shows up. Along comes Terminator 3 which largely confirms this, stating that Judgment Day is inevitable, but was delayed by all the tampering with the timestream. The ending has John Conner basically starting what becomes the Resistance. Thus, it's pretty clear that T3 isn't actually part of the timeline as far as T:S is concerned, since
Spoiler:
John is NOT the leader of the Resistance, although I suppose they could quickly depose him since he's a nobody and there's still presumably plenty of military leaders left.

I won't talk about T:TSCC since I only watched a couple episodes and wasn't very interested.

So that brings us to T:S. It's my belief that the story being told is assuming that the second and third movies never occurred and Skynet was the result of Cyberdyne using the Terminator arm and CPU to build Terminators. Any time travel inconsistencies in this movie are pretty much removed when you think of it this way. We're now following pre-T1 Kyle Reese and post-Sarah Conner being committed John Connor's lives, presumably up until Kyle is sent back and John is killed by a T-800 (assuming T3 is accurate in that).

With all that said, I enjoyed the movie. It was a fun action movie with robots getting blown up. I can't complain too much.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 am UTC

My major problem with this film is that they tried to do some clever things with it that failed for example
Spoiler:
The blatant Chekhovs gun that was Marcus's 'strong' human heart

And it appeared in some parts that they were setting things up that would have been cool, but they just didn't follow up on very well, such as
Spoiler:
When Marla/skynet is talking to Marcus, I half expected some kind of crazy time-travel/Matrix-esque philosophical monologue or something I dunno, something better than the drivel I we got

Basically, it just seemed that the movie had more potential than it delivered.

Of course, there were some good parts too, I loved how most of the special effects were done without too much CG, and I thought Anton Yelchin did a good job as Kyle Reese.
Overall, not a good movie, but plenty of explosions, action, and good effects.

finally did anyone else think that
Spoiler:
when CG Arnold got covered in molten metal and survived, that they were explaining how Cyberdyne still created Skynet after Terminator 2? I mean, if CG Arnold could survive that in the future, it's a good bet that real Arnold survived his molten bath in the past
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:finally did anyone else think that
Spoiler:
when CG Arnold got covered in molten metal and survived, that they were explaining how Cyberdyne still created Skynet after Terminator 2? I mean, if CG Arnold could survive that in the future, it's a good bet that real Arnold survived his molten bath in the past

Ehhhhhh MAYBE, but I think it's simply more of the fact that
Spoiler:
it wasn't dipped into the metal in T:S, rather it was poured on it, so the heat was able to dissipate into the air in addition to the Terminator. It's kind of like how you're supposed to pour hot coffee into cold cream rather than the other way around.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

I went into this film with HIGH expectations, so that may explain my disapointment. But... Remember in T1 and T2 (the only previous terminator films that have been made... THE ONLY TWO!!!) all those horrific post-apocolyptic scenes of AI generated tanks rolling over fields of human skulls, of lasers and HKs flying everywhich way and the human resistance barely eeking out? Yeah. I wanted that. Instead, I was given about 15 minutes of an incredible first scene wherein we see humans fighting and getting nailed, and then.... an hour and a half of just crap. There was no plot worth observing, no furthering to the story line, no intriguing questions about what it is to be human (Marcus isn't faced with a dilemma the same way the T-800 in T2 was, and he certainly doesn't 'learn' anything about himself or the people around him).

Issues:

Spoiler:
ZOMG! Kyle Reese is going to be the father of the man who will lead the resistance! But the resistance doesn't yet fully believe that John Conner is important, even though we have historical evidence to support the notion that the machines really want him dead, as well as CURRENT evidence that the machines really want him dead... Oh, but humans still aren't sure, and keep sending him into battle.

Spoiler:
ZOMG! The machines want Kyle Reese dead, and behold! he is now inside a machine complex, well, better grab him and toss him in a holding cell! The first two films left me thinking Skynet didn't fuck around, that it was an AI that got the job done and was ruthless in it's devices (the T-1000 was nightmarishly badass) but now I'm left thinking it's just a disorganized java applet

Spoiler:
I liked seeing how John Conner got his scar, and I liked seeing the T-800 frozen in molten steel. Very recursive.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wasn't there an arm left over at the end of T2 anyways though? He had to break off his own arm when it was stuck in somtehing or other. I thought that was how they "explained" it. Though I guess it doesn't really explain how they got the chip...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wasn't there an arm left over at the end of T2 anyways though? He had to break off his own arm when it was stuck in somtehing or other. I thought that was how they "explained" it. Though I guess it doesn't really explain how they got the chip...

Spoiler:
I have heard the arm theory before, but no one in my immediate circle of friends remembers the scene and I can never remembered to look for it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:21 am UTC

I thought the movie was passable but not great, which seems to be the general consensus. The action scenes in general were pretty good, although I agree the human vs terminator hand-to-hand combat was silly.

novax6 wrote:So many goddamn plot holes and retarded inclusions.
For example:
Spoiler:
so much more...

oh and fuck that stupid little mute kid. Ripping off Aliens will not make your script suck less.

I wasn't that bothered by most of the points you made (I didn't think the mute kid was really a positive or a negative factor - certainly better than a stage school brat who can't act, though).
Spoiler:
I can see why the motorcycle terminators (and all terminators) would have some form of hard input port, that's just logical for maintenance. Status monitors, not so much.
They made the human/cyborg at the same time as the T-800 and I thought he was basically meant to be considerably less advanced - instead of trying to disguise a machine as a human, they took a human and added some machine parts.
I got the impression that the Skynet compound had thousands of guards on the perimeter, but spaced out over the whole thing. And they really don't seem to be a fan of overwhelming force in general - I guess the thought is that one terminator should be able to do the job. You'd think they would've learnt by now.
The speech jarred with me too, I agree on that one. The silent giant robot too.
And in addition to being captured human buildings, most of the terminators are humanoid, so a humanoid-accomodating Skynet makes sense.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:57 am UTC

mr_pathetic: I entirely agree with you.

spupy

Postby spupy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

I haven't seen it yet. My father, who saw it, told me that Bale's character wasn't initially supposed to be the main guy (there is some other dude?). But since Christian Bale is a Famous Actor, he pushed his character into the spotlight, so we have two main heroes. This made Connor's story look somehow rashly thrown-in and mixed up the telling of the intended story.

Is this true?
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

Bale is the main character from Terminator 2 and 3. So, I'm not sure whether he was supposed to be a side character or not in this one
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

There's a story about it *somewhere*. It was initially intended to be about Kyle Reese and the other dude, with John Connor being a minor character.

Marleen

Postby Marleen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

What I liked:

Spoiler:
- Original photo of Sarah Connor
- Booming sound of big machines
- Arnie looked very real
- Sam Worthington did a good job, I even like Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese. Christian Bale did a decent performance
- The scene with Marcus discovering that he isn't human. The only really good five seconds and they spoiled it by putting it in the trailer.

What I didn't like:

Spoiler:
- lamest dialogue script in years
- soundtrack copy/pasted from Batman Begins
- SkyNet's "plan"
- the lame, lamer, lamest resolution (Take mine!) ... yawn
- and I found the parallels between the intro (injection during death penalty) and resolution (injection during sacrifice) in EXTREME poor taste. So he "got what he deserved", a second chance at being a human, but at the same time the death penalty was legitimised. Which really turned my stomach.
- The rest of the film.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 am UTC

Vivek's review:

+awesome action

-rubbish story parts

stolid

Postby stolid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:38 am UTC

Interesting movie. I like that it went to the future(-ish), but honestly I don't see John Connor doing too well on the hunt for anti-rejection drugs. It either tied with T3 or was a little worse. Action and effects wise, it was a good movie. It had a cool feel and stuff, but something was just off...maybe the odd personification and speaking like an evil human villain from Skynet. Why reveal your plans? T1 and T2 owned it.

Oh and I didn't see the T-800 trying to toss Sarah Connor around in T1. Why toss John Connor around? Use those lovely servos to get in some crushing/choking/blunt-force-trauma.
Registered Linux User #555399

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:01 am UTC

shawnwilliams wrote:I have seen Movie Terminator Salvation yesterday night such a wonderful movie this is. I like the movie script as well as the characters of this movie. I really enjoy this movie a lot and its graphics are superb.

haha. I see what you did there. :wink:

Peanutchair

Postby Peanutchair » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

Waste of a good Nine Inch Nails song. I don't even think they remixed it well. I suppose this shows how little of an impact this film made on me, that I was thinking about the soundtrack more than I was the viewing.
Richard Dawkins was put on this Earth to test our faith. Like fossils... and facts.
-
Stewart Lee.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

richermartyn wrote:Terminator Salvation Totally a Action Movie so far,The first half was spectacular but soon took on a dull tone. The movie make average business in Hollywood. But It's are so amzing so it's a plus point of the movie.

Man that's so interesting. I bet your favourite part of the film is where you read these two words to me, separated by a space:

And when Littlefoot's mother died.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

All right all right, this movie came out forever ago but I finally saw it last night, thanks to my friendly neighborhood Redbox. (a service I am quickly becoming addicted to)

Details aside, the first scene was like tempting foreplay while the rest of the movie was a massive letdown. It was arguably the most predictable - but simultaneously nonsensical - movie I have seen in months. By the last half hour I was only watching because (a) I wanted to see exactly what kind of deus ex machina or ridiculous plot device they used to accomplish the now-predictable ending; and (b) I wanted to see if that cute little mute kid survived.

ANYWAY. I didn't actually come here to rant about a mediocre (but I will admit, still entertaining) movie. I was actually curious if anyone knew where I could find a kind of "spoof" clip that I remember seeing months ago. It was a clip showing the military's initial development of the Terminators. It has Arnold Schwarzenegger with a crazy braying hick accent, talking about how the Terminator is so cool, oh and plus it's modeled after his EXTREMELY HANDSOME face! It ends with some military brass frowning and asking if they can do something about the voice, and an engineer looks over and says in Arnhold's (natural) Austrian accent, "We can fix that." or some such. Anyway, I want to see this clip again but my googlefu is nonexistent, and I need your halp! If anyone happens to know where I can find it, please let me know!
milk from space is good for you!

stolid

Postby stolid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Imo the depictions of skynet and terminators starting with T3 were just retarded - technologically, logically, and feasibility. The first two movies were the best, and TSCC...it's 10x better than the last 2 "sequels". The only good thing in T4 was the action and effects.
Registered Linux User #555399

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:57 am UTC

The only good thing in T4 was the action and effects.

This. The story is ludicrous, and unfortunately this is nothing new as far as summer blockbusters go.

The action sequences were actually very well done, I was surprised.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Did anyone else feel that "You Could Be Mine" was a nice touch (despite the 'let's steal a robot motorcycle by knocking it over with a chest high rope' - how could it not register a length of goddamn rope?)?
Firelight holds their peace
Sing farewell by smoke in the cold
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Under A Pale Grey Sky wrote:Did anyone else feel that "You Could Be Mine" was a nice touch (despite the 'let's steal a robot motorcycle by knocking it over with a chest high rope' - how could it not register a length of goddamn rope?)?

Considering its ancestry, it seems plausible :).

This movie just showed up on my Netflix queue. I actually enjoyed it, but goddamn that was a stupid script. As long as I turned of my thinking parts, the movie worked. Good visuals, OK effects, and surprisingly some decent acting from some of the cast (though it was not Bale's best performance).

If I don't compare it to the T2 and TSCC, it was a passable apocalypse movie. But viewed as a Terminator movie, it suffered more from the lack of Sarah Connor than the lack of Schwarzenegger.
Spoiler:
Apart from the tapes (which were actually better written than most of the script), the closest thing we had to Sarah Connor's voice over was John's hogwash about the importance of the human heart, and the heavy-handed suggestion that his human heart was what made Marcus become one of the good guys.

People have already pointed out many of the plot holes, so I won't repeat them. It felt like someone made a bulleted list of plot points they wanted the movie to contain, hurriedly wrote a script that hit as many of them as possible, and started shooting. I think a much better script could have been written with largely the same basic storyline, albeit with fewer holes.

DeltaOne

Postby DeltaOne » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

I expected it to be awful, but I saw it out of pure fan loyalty to Terminator. It wasn't as bad as I expected, though. Not much of a plot but a good amount of action.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”