Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen [Spoilers start pg2]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen [Spoilers start pg2]

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:19 am UTC

I think Movie Bob's review from The Escapist sums up my feelings:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/797-Transformers-Revenge

As he says: "coming from dubious source material is not a license to overlook basic tenets of film making and story structure."
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Normally I would definitely take his view (I make a policy of avoiding movies at the theater that look like they're going to make me depressed and despairing of the human condition) but I would disagree in this case. Popcorn fluff is popcorn fluff, but it is no longer entertaining when it assumes the audience is both stupid and racist.

I agree. Seriously, the only way it could have been worse was if all the Egyptian extras ran about shouting "Durka durka durka!".
Also I can't believe it's possible for me to have got bored and my mind to have wandered off during a film with that many explosions. yawn-fest.
I wasn't expecting deep and meaningful plot or character development but this film was duuuulllll. And I like mindless action films.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Word.

Is it wrong I was hoping it would be like the opening few minutes of the Transformers: The Movie, and like EVERY Autobot dies a flaming death?

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

I just came home from watching this film. I am disappointed. Most action is too confusing because of the constant, rapid transforming and there's too many non-action bits for a film supposed to be raw action. I base the latter on it being a Michael Bay movie and it was the reason I went to see it.

... Phew, glad to have that off my chest. Should've seen Brûno, Public Enemies or even Terminator: Salvation instead.

the_bandersnatch wrote:I think Movie Bob's review from The Escapist sums up my feelings:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/797-Transformers-Revenge

As he says: "coming from dubious source material is not a license to overlook basic tenets of film making and story structure."

I wish I had watched that first.
Last edited by Phen on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Public Enemies, definitely.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Too late for that, I'm afraid. I'm two hours and 19 dollars poorer.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:10 am UTC

I watched this with eternal_luna and Khuxan, and we spent most of our time together afterwards just talking about how awful it was. I do have several notes:

Wasn't the "Matrix of Leadership" designed to start the energon machine? If yes, why does it have the seemingly strange side effect of bringing Optimus Prime to life again? Is it just me or does every piece of Transformer technology have the ability to magically do that?

What the hell was the point of the huge Tranformer that was made out of 4 machines? Why did it try and suck everything into its mouth if it doesn't have some sort of killing machine located in its maw? If it does, why didn't the hebonic robot die? The twins appear to be klutzy and stupid during the entire movie, and yet still can kick the ass of a giant ridiculous robot.

I'm fairly sure what happened was Michael Bay went "Yep, I've got a fuckload of things I want in this movie, and not enough time to put it in. Oh well"
Spoiler:
  • At least half an hour of Megan Fox's breasts bouncing
  • One robot made out of 4 others
  • A variety of tiny robots.
  • Old, old robots
  • A giant friggin' laser railgun
  • A space base
  • Human-form Transformers
  • 12-year-old boy jokes
  • Teleportation
  • Female transformers
    etc etc

And I really do buy the writer's strike theory put forward earlier. Such lines as "Megatron wants what's in my mind"and "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" could not have come from an untroubled mind.

Also, what was with the midget border guard? Fairly sure he was put there so people could go "Haha, a midget leading a base? That's crazy!" and then laugh a bit. And I really have no idea how he let them pass. That entire sequence made no sense.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:41 am UTC

the midget let them past because that guy made some middle-eastern sounding noises and mentioned falafel. That's the check in Egypt, if you like falafel you don't need a passport. :|

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:10 am UTC

It's not a midget, it's an Oompa Loompa! They found Loompaland!

But yes, I agree with all those things above. I feel than maybe my lost time will be redeemed if I complain enough about it.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

Phen wrote: I feel than maybe my lost time will be redeemed if I complain enough about it.

Oh my God.

You defined the Internet!

the_bandersnatch
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Not just the internet but pretty much every consumer complaints procedure, but let's not get into that :wink:

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Wasn't the "Matrix of Leadership" designed to start the energon machine? If yes, why does it have the seemingly strange side effect of bringing Optimus Prime to life again? Is it just me or does every piece of Transformer technology have the ability to magically do that?
Yes. Every piece of Transformers technology has the ability to magically resurrect Optimus. That is why he is in charge.

What the hell was the point of the huge Tranformer that was made out of 4 machines?
To open the pyramid, even though he got stopped and they didn't actually open the pyramid to use the device. (Read: Don't ask.)

Why did it try and suck everything into its mouth if it doesn't have some sort of killing machine located in its maw? If it does, why didn't the hebonic robot die? The twins appear to be klutzy and stupid during the entire movie, and yet still can kick the ass of a giant ridiculous robot.
Well, that isn't fair. The giant robot won, that's why they needed the rail gun to stop him from doing that thing that he was trying to do that the Decepticons had no reason for him to need to do.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

And here I thought the sole purpose of Devastator (I think that's the name of that big bastard) was
Spoiler:
simply to make a balls joke
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

It wasn't just
Spoiler:
the balls, it was an all-encompassing scrotum joke.
Still, totally worth it.

I'm still angry about the Twins (Jar and Jar, I believe their names were? Did they need GOLD BUCK TEETH?). They're great canon characters, why did you have to do THAT to them?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 am UTC

I think the midget let them past cause he loves america. I think Section 7 guy said they were from New York or something?

Awesome that Deep Roy was in the movie. :mrgreen:

Also. Matrix thingy. Apparantly restarts any Transformer technology. Including the guys themselves. The machine just turning off when UberOptimus shows up was kinda anticlimactic (he just lopped off the top of the machine?)
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

xkcijik

Postby xkcijik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:44 am UTC

I love the movie 1 and 2, it just so cool that you hardly decribe. The navy is awesome i have to say
My Recent Blogs :D

My Games List

My Game Blog Welcome to comment your opinions :)

My Twitter http://twitter.com/leagendry

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 am UTC

If I had to guess, the suction device built into Devastator (the constructicon) was a sort of... disposal system? Devastator's roll, apart from the scrotum thing, was there to destroy the pyramid, the suction device was removing the dust and loose debris as it worked.

And that's a far deeper analysis of that movie than I ever intended to make. :shock:

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

DreadArchon wrote:Yes. Every piece of Transformers technology has the ability to magically resurrect Optimus. That is why he is in charge.

I laughed so hard.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

xkcijik wrote:I love the movie 1 and 2, it just so cool that you hardly decribe. The navy is awesome i have to say

I think moviebob described just how cool, or the lack thereof, the movie is.
Then again, I've only seen the second one. Maybe I needed to have watched the first to really appreciate it.

the_bandersnatch

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Then again, I've only seen the second one. Maybe I needed to have watched the first to really appreciate it.

Nononono! Don't do it! Don't put yourself through that!

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
Phen wrote:Then again, I've only seen the second one. Maybe I needed to have watched the first to really appreciate it.

Nononono! Don't do it! Don't put yourself through that!

No reason to be afraid of that after I've seen first-hand how Michael Bay managed to fuck up. I don't feel like I want to contribute to his ticket/dvd sales every again. It'd be an insult to good filmmakers.

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

I saw this film, I liked it. Even though the story wasen't fantastic, the effects where awesome, and that alone made the film worth it IMO. Plus, there are some really hot girls in it! :P

The first one was much better though, story-wise.
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”