Battlebots Nostalgia

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Battlebots Nostalgia

Postby Stucky101 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Does anyone else miss watching Battlebots on Comedy Central? That show was the greatest! I watched every episode back in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T500ecHP3pE
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1895

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Re: Battlebots Nostalgia

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

I used to watch Battlebots quite a bit. I still have a couple VHS tapes of several episodes. In college, a few people wanted to try to build one, and my first job was taping episodes so we could watch and study them.

Unfortunately, the guy in charge was kind of flaky. If he hadn't gotten enough RSVPs for a meeting, he would cancel it, often the day of the meeting. Once, I checked my e-mail, saw no cancellation notice and headed to campus. After stopping to eat, I got to the right building (maybe half an hour later) and another student told me the meeting had been cancelled. Sure enough, I checked my e-mail and he'd just cancelled it.

Nobody wanted to schedule their time around a meeting that would probably get cancelled at the last minute, so interest died out pretty quickly.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

Was there a rule in battlebots regarding projectiles?

Edit: looked it up, apparently you're allowed to have them, but they have to be tethered. So I suppose you could fire armor-piercing rounds as long as you have fishing line attached to them.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 am UTC

I feel that I have to post this. It's quite similar to my own feeling about the show shortly before it went off the air.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34126
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Postby Stucky101 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 am UTC

I'm not sure if many people know this, but BattleBots events have been going on in California ever since that show's been canceled, they just haven't been televised. So I went to their website just a second ago to post a link, in case someone wanted to look up events and such, but after that web page loaded what I found out just makes me want to start sketching death wielding machines like I did as a little kid all over again.

http://battlebots.com/BattleBots.com/Home/Home.html

The paragraph on the websites says:
"Prepare your weapons and fire up your remotes, because the premiere robot combat sport is back! BattleBots returns to television soon on CBS College Sports."
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Problem with the Comedy Central ones, besides the fact that it has no place being on Comedy Central, was bad announcers and bad camera work. The angles and sound always made the bots seem like toys, even though a lot of them could send shrapnel through the bulletproof lexan surrounding the court. Show managed to be cool anyway, proving that it's really hard to ruin robot-on-robot violence.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

I generally preferred Robot Wars, mostly because there was more damage involved. Competitors like Hypnodisk would often win by completely wrecking their opponent, and the house robots would generally unpleasant things to anyone who got within reach.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

I got to see fighting robots up close (from behind a protective fence) at the Maker's Faire. Anyone in the Bay Area or close should go.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Stucky101

Postby Stucky101 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:I generally preferred Robot Wars, mostly because there was more damage involved. Competitors like Hypnodisk would often win by completely wrecking their opponent, and the house robots would generally unpleasant things to anyone who got within reach.

I enjoyed that show too. My one complaint was all the parts where the robots weren't fighting, which is really all I wanted to see. I'm talking about the obstacle courses and other minigame-like challenges.

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:I got to see fighting robots up close (from behind a protective fence) at the Maker's Faire. Anyone in the Bay Area or close should go.

I've been wanting to go ever since I heard about it. Maybe I'll get a chance next time I visit my cousins, I bet they'd love it.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”