The most beautiful animation you've ever seen?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

headprogrammingczar

Re: The most beautiful animation you've ever seen?

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

Ponyo was still pretty impressive once you consider that it sets the record for most hand-drawn frames in a single film.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Ponyo was still pretty impressive once you consider that it sets the record for most hand-drawn frames in a single film.

Where does that claim come from? All animation used to be hand-drawn, so... you're claiming Ponyo is the longest animated film ever made? That's obviously not true.

I went googling for this and found: a. people repeating a vaguely heard claim, and b. the claim that this is a new record for a Miyazaki film. I suspect the latter is the misinterpreted source of the former.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Er...crap. You are right, it is B.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Ended

Postby Ended » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

jaap wrote:The Third & The Seventh by Alex Roman, a CG short film.
Absolutely incredible. Even more so for being a one-man production.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Jaylove

Postby Jaylove » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 am UTC

Octopi in Love

A friend showed me this a few days ago and I thought it was excellent. You can really tell when animation has been made with love rather than the usual 'paint by numbers' approach which seems so popular these days.

What sickens me is that this was made as a degree project and went on to get an Oscar nomination... damn those people who are younger AND more talented than me.

diamonds

Postby diamonds » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:13 am UTC

Hands down this belongs to Fantastic Mr. Fox (play that in HD, on the lower right corner, if possible). The close ups are unbelievably gorgeous. An amazing use of color, scenery, attention to detail, expressions/emotions, and there is something about stop-motion fur that just blows away clay or CGI.

My second pick probably has to be The Lion King, for again, a great use of color, scenery, and art direction. Pixar has some pretty good work, but nothing completely outstanding for the "beautiful" category. While most of WALL-E is great (the opening, and the two bots playing in space, even the interaction of the robots after they board), when every - single - human - is morbidly obese, it doesn't exactly provide the right sort of contrast between beautiful vs. not, in fact, that might be the only reason the rest of the movie could be considered beautiful at all (normally not a bad thing).
##politico, the troll-free politics channel on Freenode (channel link)

Jeozon

Postby Jeozon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Not sure, if this qualifies as the most beautiful animation, but i was very impressed with the big buck bunny animation from the blender foundation.
They made this short film to display the features of their open source software blender. It could be downloaded freely here: http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

It might be considerably superior in terms of coherency, but aesthetically I'd say Big Buck Bunny is inferior to Elephant Dream, the previous film from the same group. Quite the spectacle, that.

Jeozon

Postby Jeozon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

I totally forgot about Elephants Dream ... its so long ago, since i watched it, then it was released.
(i think it was 2005, but not sure.)
But, yes Elephants Dream was definitely great.
On big buck bunny i was a bit enchanted with the musical score, that contributed a lot to the clip i think.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

I saw the BBCs "The Gruffalo". I just found it spot on for a kids book rendition. It had a kind of clay/playdoe feel and look to it. The animation was elegant and had little details and great backdrops. But it's only a short animation. Programs like these make the licence fee worth it.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Fri May 14, 2010 6:12 am UTC

Not sure if I'd use the term "beautiful" to describe it, but the Aeon Flux series is very visually interesting. Specifically, the episode titled "The Purge", though the entire series is pretty good.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

Blayze III

Postby Blayze III » Sun May 16, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

I found Spice and Wolf to look extremely beautiful, along with pretty much everything about it being amazing. Mushishi also- another anime series that was really great. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind also comes to mind too, especially for when it was made.

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

It was a deeply flawed film, but Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings had some beautiful stuff. Though I don't know if rotoscoping can be counted as animation.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Aiwendil42 wrote:It was a deeply flawed film, but Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings had some beautiful stuff. Though I don't know if rotoscoping can be counted as animation.

I wouldn't consider the rotoscoping in that to be animation, but it can be. In this Betty Boop cartoon, they used rotoscoping to get the body motion of Cab Calloway correct, but then drew him into a cartoon walrus:

http://www.archive.org/details/bb_minnie_the_moocher

fillster

Postby fillster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 am UTC

Why has no one said Makoto Shinkai yet? :cry: Google images "5 cm per second" or any of his other films for that matter. Heck, watch them if you have time. Holy wow. My favorite image is from "5cm per second" when the male and female characters witness a rocket liftoff.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Oh god, YES.

After that, I reckon Laputa: Castle In The Sky is my favourite Miyazaki film. Princess Mononoke is second.

Also, for some reason, I really like the intro movie to the game Resonance of Fate. It makes no fucking sense, but it just looks so... pretty.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am UTC

I'll second the many mentions of Tekkonkinkreet. The whole movie seems to do things with animation I've never seen before. Movement is simply different. Maybe it's the combination of foreshortening and motion blur. It's particularly visible in the fight scene in the amusement park, the one with the Minotaur.

The OP mentioned Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I'm with them on that one too. Not all of it is impressive, but the scene in The Earth King (season 2) where the gang attacks the Ba Singh Se palace, fighting their way past columns of earthbenders on either side deserves mention.

As for Anime in general, the major productions seem to be the best place to go for stunning animation. Like when budget doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, like Akira. Ghost in the Shell has the city scene in the middle, and then the scene with the walking tank near the end. Generally, Miyazaki impresses greatly, but more so with movies like Spirited Away than Nausicaä.

After a long spell of anime, returning to Disney and such can be very rewarding. Suddenly, characters have fully animated faces (and bodies) while talking, just like real people. Truly impressive is the character of John Silver from Treasure planet. Easily the best animated character I've encountered.

Then there's rendered films. I generally find them unattractive, but there are exceptions. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children doesn't have much of a story, but the fight scenes can be watched over and over. The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello should be seen. And was the space battle in Star Wars Episode III ever a favourite of mine.

And then there's The Snowman. Hand-coloured, ever-shifting patterns of pencil lines never gets old.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

The last battle scene with Ramiel in Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone. It was incredible in DVD, I'm sure it's even better in high def Blu-Ray. I know Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance is simply gorgeous on every level in Blu-Ray format.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHlt6zhbNc
This is, but I can't find the full video.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

somebody already took it

Postby somebody already took it » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 am UTC

I don't know how to choose the most beautiful animation I've ever seen, however here are some shorts I found to be memorable:
The Man Who Planted Trees I've heard is supposed to be a favourite among many animators. I recall detecting some maybe not so subtle religious undertones.
Love and Theft is a continuous psychedelic transformation/metamorphosis featuring many well known faces/symbols/body parts. I found it somewhat reminiscent of the flower animation sequence from The Wall
Fallen Art very effectively expresses the amount of work that goes into creating an animation, albeit in a highly exploitive way.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Ended wrote:
Absolutely incredible. Even more so for being a one-man production.

Wow. I thought I was going to be the only one. But this is the very first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title. (By the way, if you didn't know, the artist released it as a 900MB torrent download. That's for a 12'30" film. Absolutely worth owning.)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:18 am UTC

I absolutely love this little short. It's one of very few things in video that's made me cry. Kiwi!
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

sevan1

Postby sevan1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 am UTC

My favorites are A Christmas Carol ,Coraline,UP and walle

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

I really liked the animation and lighting in How to Train Your Dragon. Less recently, the 2005 Movie Appleseed really impressed me for its impact. Oh, and I couldn't mention good animation without adding Byousoku 5 Centimeter.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Personally I'd say Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has awesome artwork.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

Just watched Ponyo. Nothing comes even close.

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:58 am UTC

You know I may sound like an anime nerd, but I have to say that these are some of my favorite animations ever.

Wolf's Rain (it's really pretty. I don't have an exact reason as to why I think it's so well done, but it just is. It's beautiful, and every shot is like it's own little piece of artwork.)
Spirited Away (The entire thing is magnificent. Except for some shots of Chihiro. I swear her head forms a perfect square at one point.)
Howl's Movie Castle (Kind of an on going Miyazaki theme here)
Cowboy Bebop (I felt like I was in the show sometimes)

As for American Animation
Anything Pixar has done ever. (With the exception of Cars. I didn't like that movie at all!)
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (For a dreamworks film, it was REALLY pretty.)
The Lion King (Come on! How can you not love it?!)

On a side note:
Teen Titans
Invader Zim

These don't make it on the full list, because even though they are some of my favorite animated shows, they aren't exactly the prettiest or most astounding.
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:31 am UTC

The Meaning of Life - Hertzfeldt took three years to animate...by one guy, entirely by hand. It's only 13 minutes long, and involves hundreds of frames per second in some parts. It has some fantastic watercolor galaxies in it. Hertzfeldt has described it as etching a novel into a rock, one letter at a time, with his fingernails. I can't even describe it to you...the animation is beautiful though, especially the space sequences. Read this: http://www.bitterfilms.com/meaningoflife.html

And click on the tudou video to watch: http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:50 am UTC

The Meaning of Life was definitely impressive on a technical level, but it lacked the sheer impact of Rejected. The watercolor galaxies just seem to be exercises in experimentation and didn't carry much weight for me.

I never did see I Am So Proud Of You.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:I really liked the animation and lighting in How to Train Your Dragon.
Yes! It was rather impressive. I really enjoyed the film as a whole, too.

I think Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli films in general win hands down for hand-drawn liquid animation, particularly viscous liquid like the gooey sludge in Spirited Away. That shit was tangible, yo.

The most impressive digital animation I've seen is the running-on-water scene in The Incredibles, even if the characters themselves looked like vacuum-wrapped plastic toys.

Despite it being damn'd well inevitable that Manga features speedy movement (Christ those static-character-whizzing-backgrounds can drain the eyes), only one actually captures the real thrill of speed for me would be the motorcycle scene in Akira. It was intense without being ridiculously overstated, unlike 99% of hi-octane Manga I've seen.

Anyway, my favourite animation would have to be Disney's rendition of Ichabod Crane in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Yes, it's very outdated and twee, but I think they caricatured him perfectly; everything is so outrageously out-of-proportion and gangly! It reminds me of me.

Oh, and seeing any food in Tom & Jerry is so well-drawn and mouth-watering, it makes me hungry !
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sojourn187

Postby sojourn187 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:59 am UTC

Waltz with Bashir
A Scanner Darkly
Cat Soup (Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5sacgeY5Q) (gets really good in the third act)

waltz with bashir almost seemed to fluid to me, till i realized how well it fit with the dreamstate feel

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:It might be considerably superior in terms of coherency, but aesthetically I'd say Big Buck Bunny is inferior to Elephant Dream, the previous film from the same group. Quite the spectacle, that.
Oh look, the latest Open Movie Project is out.
http://www.sintel.org

Remarkable effort and all that, but... the film is actually rather bland and uninteresting, I'm afraid.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:59 am UTC

It is a little disappointing when movies that are very skillfully animated and technically well crafted, nonetheless feature cliched or uninspired plots and story telling. Sintel at least is part of a larger project to create and enable independent film making, so I don't mind that it's more style than substance.
sojourn187 wrote:Cat Soup (Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5sacgeY5Q) (gets really good in the third act)

waltz with bashir almost seemed to fluid to me, till i realized how well it fit with the dreamstate feel

That should probably have a couple warnings on it. It starts with adorable kittens, and some how transitions through
Spoiler:
violent dismemberment, excrement, cannibalism, and general surreal horror
Although it is beautiful, and the kittens stay adorable.

Algrokoz

Postby Algrokoz » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:39 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:I liked the CG in Ghost in the Shell (the anime series, haven't gotten around to the movies yet), but there was one scene with the following problem:

The scene was a helicopter-view of a building, with the building rotating in one direction and the background rotating in the same direction.
But, every other time they showed the building, the background was rotating the wrong way. The parallax effect was completely wrong, and it looked stupid. What the hell?

Other than that, it was great.

Oh me yarm the movies are beautiful, even if the 2nd one barely made sense.

capawe

Postby capawe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:36 am UTC

For American animation I really like the animation styles of pixar movies (most notably Wall-E and UP) and I really like the gritty style of Invader Zim, The Boondocks also have beautiful fight sequences (I've heard that it is animated by the same studio that did the last airbender) that are fun to watch. A lot of Disney cartoon movies impressed me when I saw them.

In Anime I think Durarara, Baccano and Gurren Lagann have beautiful animation. I also like the style of bakemonogatari, it was different and made the anime more fun to watch (although I know some people say its annoying).

There are a lot more animated things that impressed me but these are all the things that I have seen recently so they are the first things I thought of.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Macross: Do You Remember Love remains one of the most gorgeous hand animated films ever. Sleeping Beauty is probably the most gorgeous of all the Disney movies -- the follow-up movie was 101 Dalmations because the financial failure of Sleeping Beauty made Disney cut the animation budgets -- hence why everything after Sleeping Beauty looks like utter crap. Pre-80's, my favorite movie is Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. Some of the best animation was by Winsor McCay when animation was just first starting out. No one's mentioned Akira. The level of detail in that is just awe inspiring.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Kimmo

Postby Kimmo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:43 am UTC

The Animatrix is a great little smorgasbord. Highly recommended; far superior content to the Matrix sequels IMO.

Also, Chicago 10 is an excellent doco.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:45 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Anyone for Iria?

I treasure my Iria tin set as one of my most precious posessions. There's so many awesome things in that series that just haven't been matched in more recent animation.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:10 am UTC

Kimmo wrote:The Animatrix is a great little smorgasbord. Highly recommended; far superior content to the Matrix sequels IMO.
I hear Batman: Gotham Knight, a smorgasbord done with the same idea, is also quite excellent.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:28 am UTC

Serial Experiments: Lain is hauntingly beautiful.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”