Modern movies to blow 50's directors' minds

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Mon May 21, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

Someone mentioned Lord of the Rings as being completely sucky for the job?

I beg to differ. Show them some of the scenery--Lothlorien, Moria, Rivendell. And the scene with Frodo and Gandalf in Bag End, where you see quite clearly thier 'size difference'. (Then show them a real life picture of them together.)

I'm afraid that I don't watch a heck of a lot of movies, so my contribution is minimal, but i do have an opinion on the Enger's Game movie:

I sincerely hope they never turn it into a film. For many of the reasons listed here (child nudity never even came into it until someone else mentioned it)--zero-G effects, the internal processes, etc--I highly doubt they can sucessfully turn it into a good movie.

Regarding bootility: it dosen't actually exist; it is, in fact, a ploy to distribute weapons in effort to spark a massive, bloody conflict to film and show to said 30's and 50's film directors. With all the fake gore they'd be shown alread, they'd never know people actually died in the filmmaking.

6 gold stars for figuring it out. One hand grenade covered in crazy glue. No pin.
Last edited by Akira on Mon May 21, 2007 8:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Mon May 21, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

Extra Credit
Bootlility: The ability to oscillate the hips and buttocks. Usually expressed as oscillations per second (ops). For example, a person able to produce 12/ops exhibits high bootlility.

2 gold stars. 1 explosive harpoon.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:I'd say 300 is a good bet.

Any reasonable director would say "wow, you have amazing special effects, now care to show us a story?"

Seriously. I'd go with something that would blow the mind of *anyone* from that time period.

I'm thinking like The Truman Show, or more sarcastically, Pleasantville.

The Matrix (already mentioned) is a good one to blow such a person's mind *and* demonstrate special effects technology.

The Blair Witch Project (also already mentioned) wouldn't so much blow anyone's mind, but would remind the guy that you don't need all these special effects to make a good story.

300 (as mentioned above) would let the guy know that, while the film may be financially successful, with all those special effects, the film could still suck shit.

How about LOTR?

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
ooh, question is can she do the jump from child star to film star? I think she should be able to because there always seems to be something more than your average child actor skills going on with her, and i don't think she ever had a disney contract. I wanna see what happens with that, by which I mean her

She looks like a horrible innsmouth creature and I don't like her.

Hey, that's discrimination against horrible Innsmouth creatures.

Why has no one mentioned anything from the Alien series yet? Or anything else with modern-day animatronics or muppets? I find such things far more terrifying for how real they are, since the actor is in fact reacting to a physical object, rather than pretending to react to something which isn't there.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Mon May 21, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:Why has no one mentioned anything from the Alien series yet? Or anything else with modern-day animatronics or muppets? I find such things far more terrifying for how real they are, since the actor is in fact reacting to a physical object, rather than pretending to react to something which isn't there.

Ooh, yeah, Roger Rabbit! Of course, they did have Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry the Mouse.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon May 21, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

This is a science forum, I'd be worth nothing if I couldn't build a railgun. The trick is cooling it down, and building the stabilizing mechanisms.

Bootility: Alternate Definition: The amount of uses of the word booty, butt, ass, and so forth in a rap song per verse. See "Baby Got Back," "Ms. New Booty," etc.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

[off topic]Are we allowed to post multiple extra credit answers to level up? :wink: [/off topic]

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon May 21, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

Only if you can connect it to other posts, I think. I already did it once for credit, although it's ammo with different weapons.

Bootility: Again, a unit of measurement. The amount of boos you get at a film screening or at the local band's horrible cover of "Smoke on the Water" - in Guitar Hero. (per minute!)

I would ask the directors what they thought was the limit of our technology, and then look for something to show them after that. Whatever they dreamed of doing and find a movie like that. Like Bond. Or a HD movie on a screen at home! That would blow their minds...

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon May 21, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

That really would be cool.

"I want to show outer space!"

and give them Apollo~

"Robots!"

Toss I, Robot at them. Maybe one of the Star Wars ones, etc.

and so forth.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon May 21, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

The next question is, what will amaze us in the future, 50 years from now? 3D effects? The ability to rewind the movie. There once was an article that talked about this, what we'd see in the future on Gamasutra (mainly about the tech of doing that) but it's interesting to think about.

Bootility: A navigational instrument used by pirates, treasure hunters and law enforcement to find booty (treasure), much like the "broken" compass used by Captain Jack Sparrow to find the lost island.

"Captain, where will we plunder next?"
"Arrr, pull out the bootility!"
"Aye, Captain!"

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Mon May 21, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:The ability to rewind the movie.

Umm, hate to break it to you A.S., but with these new fangled things called "talkies," you can purchase them in either VHS or DVD format, as well as many others, and the movie can actually be stopped, rewound, or played faster with the simple click of a button. Shocking, I know, but hey, it is the 21st century. You were promised flying cars. You got a remote control.

Forgot my sucking up...I mean, extra credit:
Boo-tility
1) A utility belt for ghosts. Comes with all the usual features - throwing and shooting weapons, handcuffs, nets, shark repellant, etc - but with the added feature of being completely untouchable for humankind. That's right, Batman may die one day, but he'll still be able to kick your ass.

One gold star, 10 reload packets of tazer darts.
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

My bad, I should've explained it in more detail. A rewinding and then being able to explore the world around, to check out the details in *ahem* greater detail. Instead of having a frozen image, have a picture that the user can scan in on, like being able to look at clues more closely in a movie like, say "Memento." A movie of Sherlock Holmes where the viewer has a chance to figure it out before Sherlock Holmes by stopping the movie and then looking in detail at what he did. "Deja Vu" for a working example of what I'd like it to be.

Bootility: A misconceived shortening for UNIX, boom-utility is a program created by double majors in engineering and computer science to determine the amount of damage that will be done by chucking the computer out of the window after it becomes obsolete. The program runs many variables, such as the amount of deadly chemicals inside, the depreciated cost vs time and how much the computer will do by giving it to a school rather than finishing bootility. For some settings bootility will actually return a value of 0 for actions such as kicking a mainframe out of a window, or infinity for using your old HP calculator as "theft deterrent."

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon May 21, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:My bad, I should've explained it in more detail. A rewinding and then being able to explore the world around, to check out the details in *ahem* greater detail. Instead of having a frozen image, have a picture that the user can scan in on, like being able to look at clues more closely in a movie like, say "Memento." A movie of Sherlock Holmes where the viewer has a chance to figure it out before Sherlock Holmes by stopping the movie and then looking in detail at what he did. "Deja Vu" for a working example of what I'd like it to be.

That would be very interesting, and completely possible in 3d animation movies. They should make a shrek-esque movie straight to DVD where the camera angle isn't set, and you can move around and follow the characters.

It's also vaguely similar to "immersive theater", my favorite form of art. An example I saw last year was a murder mystery taking place at a dinner party, where the play-seers were actually guests to the party, and were served real food etcetera, even making smalltalk with the performers, who had to improvise. Even better, the audience didn't know who was an actor and who was another guest. Blurring the line between actor and performer=way fun. Like Neal Stephenson's ractives.

Bootility: Boo Radley's utility belt. It's what he uses to sneak into Stephanie Crawford's house.

Three Gold stars. 5 high-dosage tranqulizer darts. So you can do creepy stuff to people while they're asleep.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue May 22, 2007 12:15 am UTC

Snag Orson Welles and show him the latest War of the Worlds.

Bootility: A common misspelling of bootily - a hobby commonly known as ghost-chasing.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Tue May 22, 2007 1:17 am UTC

Pirates of the Carribean. Not because I love the movie, but the special effects are pretty astounding, and they put a lot of money into it.

However, my primary vote goes to Fight Club. That movie is great, and everyone in the world should see it.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue May 22, 2007 2:11 am UTC

I completely missed the extra credit. My bad.

1. Are they ever gonna get around to that Ender's Game movie they keep teasing us with? If so, is there a chance they're not going to completely fuck it up?

Yes, they will make it, because it will make money. But have you ever seen a movie made from a book that didn't completely fuck up the book? No. There's your answer.

2. Define the following: "bootility"

A word of German origin, pertaining to the ability of an object to float on water.

Three gold stars. One clip of bullets made entirely out of frozen meat.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue May 22, 2007 2:21 am UTC

Aww, we don't get extra credit? I really can't complain, because I have my railgun, but oh well.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Tue May 22, 2007 7:31 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:Braveheart - use of (some) historical accuracy combined with a film of epic longness, and it's still a favorite. merely to say, movies don't have to be short to enjoy.

What makes you think 50s directors don't know how to make an epic? It's modern directors that suck at it. If it doesn't need an intermission, it's not an epic.
Heaven is for the hedonist

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Tue May 22, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:But have you ever seen a movie made from a book that didn't completely fuck up the book? No. There's your answer.

The Shawshank Redemption.

Fight Club.

The Shining.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Tue May 22, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:Yes, they will make it, because it will make money. But have you ever seen a movie made from a book that didn't completely fuck up the book? No. There's your answer.

If by 'fuck up' you mean 'significantly alter', the consensus seems to be that to some degree you have to do that, with things like Sin City being exceptions.

But as for movies that are both different from and better than the books? I'm going to go out on a limb and say I liked Jurassic Park the movie more than Jurassic Park the book.

Now, can anyone name a case where the novelization was better than the movie? I mean, I know I read the Three Ninjas Kick Back novelization more than once.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 22, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:Now, can anyone name a case where the novelization was better than the movie?

Sort of. If novelization = write a book to a famous movie, then I would put up Star Wars Episode 3. Assuming that is waht you people mean.
The harder you try, the dumber you look

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue May 22, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:
lanicita wrote:Yes, they will make it, because it will make money. But have you ever seen a movie made from a book that didn't completely fuck up the book? No. There's your answer.

If by 'fuck up' you mean 'significantly alter', the consensus seems to be that to some degree you have to do that, with things like Sin City being exceptions.

But as for movies that are both different from and better than the books? I'm going to go out on a limb and say I liked Jurassic Park the movie more than Jurassic Park the book.

Indeed. Fight Club was a better movie than it was a book, too, I thought.

Now, can anyone name a case where the novelization was better than the movie? I mean, I know I read the Three Ninjas Kick Back novelization more than once.

Neverwhere.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 22, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:

buffy the vampire slayer?
in ur beanz makin u eveel

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Tue May 22, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

I can't think I've ever read a novelisation. Anyway, I've always heard people who read fight club or the godfather say that the films were terrible. Also, if you want to see how to properly massacre a novel, watch timeline
Heaven is for the hedonist

space_raptor

Re: Modern movies to blow 50's directors' minds

Postby space_raptor » Tue May 22, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:What modern movie do you show him to absolutely blow his mind?

Extra Credit:

1. Are they ever gonna get around to that Ender's Game movie they keep teasing us with? If so, is there a chance they're not going to completely fuck it up?
2. Define the following: "bootility"

Terminator 2. That movie was ridiculous. The shape-shifting T1000, and the cyborg Arnie, and the nuclear blast. All awesome.

Bonus movie: Forbidden Planet. Anybody who has not seen this movie (it's from 1956) should go rent it immediately. It is one of the strongest science fiction flicks of it's time. I finished watching it last night, and let me tell you, it was a great movie. Apparently the special effects were revolutionary for it's time.

Bonus bonus: It stars Leslie Nielsen.

Extra Cred:

1. I'm sure they will make an Ender's Game movie. I don't think it's possible for them not to fuck it up. Probably too much emphasis on fancy CGI spacefighting and not enough on the character of Ender himself.

2. Bootility: Boo-ti-li-ty
A scale historically used by pirates to rate certain kinds of vessels, based on the amount of booty they could expect to recover in an attack. Spanish galleons carrying riches back from Central and South America would rate high on the Bootility scale. British skiffs mapping the coast would rate low.

Two gold stars, and a cannon ball.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 22, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

I read this entire thing, wondering "Why hasn't anyone mentioned Terminator 2? Oh, awesome.. I'll get to mention it first. Woo!"

And then I hit Space Raptor's post.

*grumble grumble*

Anyway, Why T2? It's got enough explody bits and action sequences to give a proper amount of Adrenaline, it's got enough sci-fi stuff to screw with your mind (Wait, so they're killing the great hero back when he was a kid before he became the hero? Hey, good idea.) and enough special effects that don't go overboard (HOLY CRAP HE TURNED SILVER AND WALKED THROUGH A GRATE!) to show how far we've come.

Lord of the Rings? Makeup and a ton of extras. Apollo 13? Just got really good at hiding the strings. 2001: A Space Odyssey? While I believe it's one of the greatest films ever made, it might be a little much.

1. Ender's Game as a movie? I hope they never do it. Why? Go read Starship Troopers. See what they did to that. Same thing. Only 10 year olds (played by 15 year olds) with machine guns.

2. The futility of having a multi-boot system simply to have a multi-boot system. Linux, BSD, and XP on a home desktop!? Why?

Three gold stars, two 9mm shells, 10 slingshot pellets, and a lawn dart
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue May 22, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:

Yeah, I suppose significant alterations are necessary to a point, but I get sick of it when they change things that don't need to be changed. But to be fair, for me I haven't had many cases of reading the book and seeing the movie. The extent seems to be White Oleander and Memoirs of a Geisha (both of which desecrated the books by taking out half of what happens). And Harry Potter, but at least I get a nice laugh out of those movies. Even if Harry's stupid hair isn't messy, damn gel didn't fit into their stupid budget...

Actually, I do have to take that back because the miniseries of Anne of Green Gables didn't fuck up the book. Followed it perfectly, actually. The sequel wasn't so good about it, though.

Davef, Shawshank shouldn't count because it was just a short story originally. Although yeah, the movie is definitely better than the book.
Last edited by apricity on Tue May 22, 2007 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue May 22, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

Why most movies have to cut things out to fit: Movies are usually less than 120 minutes. Good books are usually more than 120 pages. One page of script is approximately one minute of film. One page of a good book is approximately two or more pages of script.

Dr.Robert

Postby Dr.Robert » Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Akira

Postby Akira » Tue May 22, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Why most movies have to cut things out to fit: Movies are usually less than 120 minutes. Good books are usually more than 120 pages. One page of script is approximately one minute of film. One page of a good book is approximately two or more pages of script.

We know the reason why they have to cut things, obviously~ What I don't see is WHY they do it.

Honestly, if it takes a 10 hour miniseries to do it properly, then take a 10-hour miniseries.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue May 22, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you to stop what you're doing and listen.

CANNONBALL!

*evil laugh at Talon*
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue May 22, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Akira wrote:
ZeroSum wrote:Why most movies have to cut things out to fit: Movies are usually less than 120 minutes. Good books are usually more than 120 pages. One page of script is approximately one minute of film. One page of a good book is approximately two or more pages of script.

We know the reason why they have to cut things, obviously~ What I don't see is WHY they do it.

Honestly, if it takes a 10 hour miniseries to do it properly, then take a 10-hour miniseries.

Money, simply. As you put up the cost of a film, you also increase how many people you need to attract to make your money back and feed your kids. This is Hollywood's problem, and always will be.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Tue May 22, 2007 10:58 pm UTC

Novelizations?

Um...Hackers. :D Crash and Burn! Not necessarily saying it was better, but at least as good and with more in-head stuff going on.

Same with Invasion America.

As for Starship Troopers, I totally rented that that too long ago. Fun times. But yeah, completely different animal. I read the book some years after first seeing the movie and was like "Holy shit, it's awesome and thought provoking and way more hardcore." So now whenever someone brings up the movie I have to mention how different and awesome the book is.

When stories get changed that much you really just have to take them as two separate things.

As for the chance that the Powers That Be won't fuck up Ender's Game (if it actually comes out)? Slight. But possible. *Prays*

Bootility - 1) A measurement of the undesirability of an object or person. Example: That vegan slop rotting in the back of our fridge has reached extreme bootility.

2) A threshold that when crossed may lead to defenestration and/or a boot to the head. Example: For leaving it there for 3 months you are now *this* close to bootility.

or alternately...

Bootility - What happens in Mortal Kombat when you shrink your opponent and stomp them with large boots.

or even...

Bootility - What happens in real life when you magically transform your opponent into a boot that you then give to some hobos to make soup from.

Four gold stars, and one of those hovering, rotating ammunition clips from every FPS ever.
Last edited by Jauss on Wed May 23, 2007 3:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 23, 2007 12:09 am UTC

Well, the way I see it, Starship Troopers, the Movie (which according to Wikipedia was an original property until someone said to the screenwriter "Hey, this shares some similarities to Starship Troopers!) is a satire of the Sci-Fi Action Movie, Patriotism, Military Service, etc.

Starship Troopers, the Book, is about duty and citizenship, as well as the sacrifices one should make in order to properly respect it, according to Heinlein.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

davef

Postby davef » Wed May 23, 2007 12:30 am UTC

lanicita wrote:Davef, Shawshank shouldn't count because it was just a short story originally. Although yeah, the movie is definitely better than the book.

[pedantry]It's a novella.[/pedantry]

Couldn't resist, sorry...

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed May 23, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Re: Shawshank Redemption

I don't care what it is. I loved the story and the movie is one of those I'll stop and watch every time it's on. I must have seen it 50 times by now.

davef

Postby davef » Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Ditto. But the book (sorry, novella) is really good, too. There's a heap of stuff that isn't in the movie. Like a cellmate Andy had for ten years, for instance...

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed May 23, 2007 12:44 am UTC

davef wrote:Ditto. But the book (sorry, novella) is really good, too. There's a heap of stuff that isn't in the movie. Like a cellmate Andy had for ten years, for instance...

I know! The character is different too. If I recall correctly, for example, the movie has him as a much bigger man than the story describes. Definitely some significant differences, but both very good. Although, I want to go read the book again now. I haven't read it in many years and I've seen the movie so many times since...

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Wed May 23, 2007 12:49 am UTC

Every time I glance at this thread, Pan's Labyrinth and Mirrormask are the only two that come to mind. Eh. *shrug* I dunno.
Turn your scars into stars.

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Wed May 23, 2007 2:27 am UTC

Jauss wrote:Bootility - 1) What happens in Mortal Kombat when you shrink your opponent and stomp them with large boots.

We have a winrar! That's awesome, bring on the mortal combat again. Mortalities were great.
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”