Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phill

Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes

Postby Phill » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

Don't know if anyone else is a fan of Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes, but I couldn't find a thread on it (apologies if there is already one, a quick search didn't find any topics dedicated to it). I've not been such a fan of Ashes series 1 and 2 (loved Life on Mars), but I've really got into 3 in these first two episodes.

Anyway, now that the fifth and final series has started airing I thought it was ripe for some speculation.

Has anyone else been following along? Anyone have any pet theories about how it's all going to pan out? I just don't really know at the moment but I have suspicions about Shaz.

Spoiler:
Shaz was in a coma after being stabbed. Where did she go? Did she go back to the 70s? Did she know what happened to Sam Tyler? - maybe this is why the 'Life on Mars' music played as she made the decision to stay in the police force.

Still have no idea who Gene is, or why Keats wants to get rid of him. They are somewhat playing on the heaven / hell / purgatory idea though, with Keats being the devil, what with his office being really hot.

sanguine

Re: Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes

Postby sanguine » Sun May 16, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Adding to the biblicalness, Gene even referred to Manc as "heaven", which they got evicted from (paradise?).
That and the constant nautical talk*.

Looks like
Spoiler:
they're going down the route of the US version of Life on Mars.

VERY curious about the finale(?) next week.

*But maybe that's just an allusion to the shipping ;)
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

sanguine wrote:Looks like
Spoiler:
they're going down the route of the US version of Life on Mars.

I really, really, hope not!

Spoiler:
VERY curious about the finale(?) next week.

Yep, me too. It looks like Manchester is where all the action is. I really hope Sam Tyler is going to make a re-apperance, although exactly how I don't know!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon May 17, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

I guess you mean the UK version? I don't know about a US version of Ashes to Ashes but I might be wrong.

I haven't watched any Ashes to Ashes, although I intend to. I enjoye the hell out of Life on Mars but I didn't enjoy the ending at all. It was just all so ... anticlimactic, and cowardly imo.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Wed May 26, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

I've never heard of Ashes to Ashes (imdb-ing now) but I LOVE Life on Mars!

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed May 26, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

I got into Life on Mars around the tail end of the first series, and since made it a commitment to view LoM 2 then AtA 1-3
Over time, and particularly as the character development and intrigue kicked up during Ashes series three, I found myself less and less interested in the sting-of-the-week episode element. The overarching plotlines just got so intense, y'know...
Spoilers and shit, content leading all the way to end of series 3 of Ashes...
Spoiler:
I was dithering over the course of that episode after the initial revelation that Gene had already copped it, as to which side of the coin Jim and Gene were supposed to be, but then the snarling psychopathy coming out of nowhere and that elevator nudged me the right way.

Midway through that series we met a former partner of Gene, Ray and Chris, who claimed delusions of being Sam Tyler. I'm rather puzzled by that loose end, as what he was coming out with seemed insider knowledge, and notably, quite a fair chunk of cosmetic fiddling made him quite a Sam Tyler Ten Years On, and his maddened focused glare looked as if he was channelling John Simm's depiction of The Master in The End Of Time finale episodes from Doctor Who Ten. But I dunno.

Wasn't too fond of the revelation of Alex's fate to be honest. What made Ashes different was her driving force to escape home and be there for her daughter's birthday party, but to make it a loose repeat of Sam and have her dead and stuck in the police afterlife, with just a stoic Gene to brush off the fact that Molly will have the support up top in the real world, seemed like quite a downer ending.

Personally wasn't fond of Shaz, the "are they aren't they" back and forth with Chris, not to mention her accent and RAR-RAR-rampant-feminism-"oooooh Michael Foot would make a great Prime Minister" jibe. But a good move to bring those three supporting characters as one unit forward to the limelight with the staaaaaaaars arc.

I thought Martin Summers in the second series was a great character, very mysterious, nicely pulled-off. Interesting how Alex goes into that coma-within-a-coma from her bullet wound in 1982, thinks she's woken in the present day hospital, sees a body wheeled past her - allegedly that's Summers, and his death in the "1980's" implies death in the present, but Drake wouldn't have seen it at all in reality.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu May 27, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Dobblesworth wrote:Midway through that series we met a former partner of Gene, Ray and Chris, who claimed delusions of being Sam Tyler. I'm rather puzzled by that loose end, as what he was coming out with seemed insider knowledge, and notably, quite a fair chunk of cosmetic fiddling made him quite a Sam Tyler Ten Years On, and his maddened focused glare looked as if he was channelling John Simm's depiction of The Master in The End Of Time finale episodes from Doctor Who Ten. But I dunno.

I wasn't sure about that one either, I'm guessing he must have wormed the information out of Sam Tyler somehow (he was a con man) but still.

Wasn't too fond of the revelation of Alex's fate to be honest. What made Ashes different was her driving force to escape home and be there for her daughter's birthday party, but to make it a loose repeat of Sam and have her dead and stuck in the police afterlife, with just a stoic Gene to brush off the fact that Molly will have the support up top in the real world, seemed like quite a downer ending.

It was, but at the same time it felt to me like whereas Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes had revolved around Sam and Alex, actually it was all about Gene. He was the most important character to an extent, and I think the conclusion of Alex's character kind of shifts the emphasis back to him.

I also enjoyed the overarching plot a lot more in series 3, and didn't pay so much attention to the "sting-of-the-week" plots. Except for the sixth episode (in the prison)... that was quite intense!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”