Treme

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

el_loco_avs

Treme

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

The new show by the creators of The Wire. First episode is out now. I quite enjoyed it. Wonderful music and characters. Seems to take The Wire's slow approach to building a story.

Anyone else see this? Thoughts?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Re: Treme

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 am UTC

Seen every episode so far, absolutely fucking love it.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue May 11, 2010 1:02 am UTC

What the hell is this and is it legally on the Internet somewhere? I'm five episodes into The Wire at the same time that I'm watching early seasons of 24, and I am loving that The Wire assumes you aren't an idiot and know how to pay attention to things. Pretty sure I'd be all about something else from the same team.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue May 11, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:What the hell is this and is it legally on the Internet somewhere? I'm five episodes into The Wire at the same time that I'm watching early seasons of 24, and I am loving that The Wire assumes you aren't an idiot and know how to pay attention to things. Pretty sure I'd be all about something else from the same team.

I'm not sure about legally. Does HBO have a hulu-type service?

I'm going about it in more... erm... clandestine ways, because it'll probably never make it to tv here anyway (THe Wire NEVER did).
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Finished watching season one. Last episode was powerful stuff. Sad too.

(1 thing pisses me off. searching bittorrent sites for treme also results in random X-TREME stuff >_< )
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

Yeah, finished this the other day. Good show, although not as good as The Wire. I'm not sure it could have been though, with the way it's setup, not having any real conflict or 'main' plot. The Wire was more interesting in general just because of the subject matter, where people can and do die violently and there are large issues at stake. Treme is everyday people's lives trying to rebuild and get on with everything, so it's a little bit more focused, kind of a smaller scale.

Most of the characters where great though, really liked John Goodman's story (forget his character's name), as well as Janette's and Antoine's. The only two characters I really didn't give a damn about, was Albert and his family/tribe, which is a shame because Lester Freeman was so awesome in The Wire, and Sonny, who was just a boring, worthless piece of shit who I kept hoping to whom something interesting would happen, like a plane falling on him.
Last edited by novax6 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 am UTC

I loved the actress portraying the sister who lost her brother. With a single stare into the mirror that woman portrayed overwhelming weariness and disappointment, no facial contortions or sound involved. Heck of an actress.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:Yeah, finished this the other day. Good show, although not as good as The Wire. I'm not sure it could have been though, with the way it's setup, not having any real conflict or 'main' plot. The Wire was more interesting in general just because of the subject matter, where people can and do die violently and there are large issues at stake. Treme is everyday people's lives trying to rebuild and get on with everything, so it's a little bit more focused, kind of a smaller scale.

Most of the characters where great though, really liked John Goodman's story (forget his character's name), as well as Janette's and Antoine's. The only two characters I really didn't give a damn about, was Albert and his family/tribe, which is a shame because Lester Freeman was so awesome in The Wire, and Sonny, who was just a boring, worthless piece of shit who I kept hoping to whom something interesting would happen, like a plane falling on him.

Yeah. I think we're just supposed to hate Sonny. (seriously, "yay he's from my country... oh wait he's an asshole" :()
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I loved the actress portraying the sister who lost her brother. With a single stare into the mirror that woman portrayed overwhelming weariness and disappointment, no facial contortions or sound involved. Heck of an actress.

Very true. Khandi (i think that's the spelling) did an amazing job.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:
novax6 wrote:Yeah, finished this the other day. Good show, although not as good as The Wire. I'm not sure it could have been though, with the way it's setup, not having any real conflict or 'main' plot. The Wire was more interesting in general just because of the subject matter, where people can and do die violently and there are large issues at stake. Treme is everyday people's lives trying to rebuild and get on with everything, so it's a little bit more focused, kind of a smaller scale.

Yeah. I think we're just supposed to hate Sonny. (seriously, "yay he's from my country... oh wait he's an asshole" :()

I'm sure we were, but that doesn't excuse him for being mind-blowingly boring. I was expecting him to do something really fucked up and evil, or at least have some sort of impact overall, but nope. :?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 am UTC

I just finished Season 1 and yes, this show is awesome. I love David Simon. It's good that it's not as violent as The Wire, my wife can watch it and see just how great David Simon is. I also feel like I've learned a lot about New Orleans.

novax6 wrote:The only two characters I really didn't give a damn about, was Albert and his family/tribe, which is a shame because Lester Freeman was so awesome in The Wire, and Sonny, who was just a boring, worthless piece of shit who I kept hoping to whom something interesting would happen, like a plane falling on him.

I really got into Albert's story and the Mardi Gras Indians in general - I found them pretty interesting. I ended up looking up that Iko Iko song and thought 'Wow, I never realised what this song was about'.

Totally agree about Sonny, I wished they'd broken up much sooner.

Lucrece wrote:I loved the actress portraying the sister who lost her brother. With a single stare into the mirror that woman portrayed overwhelming weariness and disappointment, no facial contortions or sound involved. Heck of an actress.

She's my favourite.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

Season 2 happening now. Still damn good. :)
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Yeah, but the ratings are abysmal, so don't expect a third season.

The series has a problem in that it's given to meandering and it has a large cast of characters on a one hour show. It needs to streamline the storytelling or it will alienate a large part of a potential audience.

Last episode was pretty good at doing this, but still it needs to drop the dragging out of the storytelling.

This is something that particularly frustrates me in many HBO shows, and other "quality" shows. They crawl and crawl, and then the show gets the axe or approaches a season finale and just zooms by, trying to cram what should've been put out way earlier and failing miserably.

It's one of the reasons why I quit True Blood. The season starts off strong, and toward the last 3 episodes in each season characterization is thrown out of the window and the plot contortions just come out in most unsatisfying ways that reveal the lazy writing. Pacing is so important and yet so few shows actually get it right.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

But it has to stay! There's swearing in dutch! and I'm dutch! :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Most recent episode:

Spoiler:
shit. HBO is killing everyone! :(
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Magnificent final double-length episode for season 2. Sucks to have to wait for season 3 for so long now.

some of the music written for the show sounds so amazing I hope we get to hear full versions on another soundtrack cd.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:48 am UTC

Caught up to the finale. They really moved the story-telling in a greatly satisfying, finally well-paced way. I'm now pretty happy with the series, although with its ratings I hope it will somehow be lucky to get more episodes to at least give the show a proper treatment.

Poor Annie, she's all alone now. Sure, she still has Davis, but being with Davis is like being alone. He's just not very reliable nor a person I'd look to for safety and stability ;p

Poor Terry, willing to harm his relationship with Toni for his love of the force. I really like him, jeopardizing such a good friendship for a chance at cleaning house in the corrupt station.

It's good to see LaDonna back to her warrior spirit.

Antoine getting told off by diva-Wanda was so amusing and rewarding. I find him rather obnoxious but am glad that he matured into the realization that his missed chance at breeding music into his sons could be spent on children actually wanting to learn. Becoming a street teacher and putting aside the gigs, really nice touch to make the character not so damned immature and self-centered.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Caught up to the finale. They really moved the story-telling in a greatly satisfying, finally well-paced way. I'm now pretty happy with the series, although with its ratings I hope it will somehow be lucky to get more episodes to at least give the show a proper treatment.

Poor Annie, she's all alone now. Sure, she still has Davis, but being with Davis is like being alone. He's just not very reliable nor a person I'd look to for safety and stability ;p

Poor Terry, willing to harm his relationship with Toni for his love of the force. I really like him, jeopardizing such a good friendship for a chance at cleaning house in the corrupt station.

It's good to see LaDonna back to her warrior spirit.

Antoine getting told off by diva-Wanda was so amusing and rewarding. I find him rather obnoxious but am glad that he matured into the realization that his missed chance at breeding music into his sons could be spent on children actually wanting to learn. Becoming a street teacher and putting aside the gigs, really nice touch to make the character not so damned immature and self-centered.

Yeah it's nice seeing the characters grow. I think Davis might end up being more mature as well. He was there for his ex, the cook, forgot her name (love the character but I can't remember :shock: ).

I will definitely keep an eye out for season 3 next year.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”