What forthcoming films are you looking forward to?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

davef wrote:What? Nobody mentioned the Simpsons movie yet?

For shame!

(Also - Transformers, Bourne Supremacy)

What shame? They jumped the shark 5 years ago and their merchandise is unilaterally crap. Don't get me wrong I can quote the first twelve seasons perfectly (well, used to be able to, my fu is severely declined since) but it's just not looking good
Heaven is for the hedonist

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
SpitValve wrote:Actually, it's quite interesting in the first Ong Bak looking at how white people are portrayed... there aren't many, but they're all rude and violent and mean.

Welcome to how the rest of the world sees you (although the first Ong Bak had that awesome shotout to Luc Besson, the whitest man ever.)

Fully. Actually, after a month surrounded by Thai people and people who have been in Thailand for a long time, you start to understand really. You start to wince when you see the loud scantily dressed tourists yelling and doing all the wrong things...

Edjarosu

Postby Edjarosu » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:oh, and Watchmen. Though I don't have high hopes and pretty much expect it to be lame and annoyu me endlessly when I refer to Watchmen and everybody thinks I'm talking about the movie. I hate that. It's already happened with HitchHiker's Guide, and to a lesser extent Spider-Man and X-Men...

I'm actually optimistic about Watchmen. The thing that makes me feel that way is a statement Zack Snyder made in an interview, where he said that he was doing his best to convince the Movie Studio that Watchmen is 'more Strangelove than Fantastic Four.' To me, that just screams "oh my God, he gets it."

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 am UTC

shadebug wrote:What shame? They jumped the shark 5 years ago and their merchandise is unilaterally crap. Don't get me wrong I can quote the first twelve seasons perfectly (well, used to be able to, my fu is severely declined since) but it's just not looking good

Agreed on the jumping ship, but don't they have the writers and directors from seasons 6 - 10 on board for the movie? I haven't seen a new episode in years cos I don't watch any TV anymore, and the ones I did see (3 or 4 years ago) were very hit-and-miss. The Good Stuff is all in the first ten seasons!
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:40 am UTC

Edjarosu wrote:
Rodan wrote:oh, and Watchmen. Though I don't have high hopes and pretty much expect it to be lame and annoyu me endlessly when I refer to Watchmen and everybody thinks I'm talking about the movie. I hate that. It's already happened with HitchHiker's Guide, and to a lesser extent Spider-Man and X-Men...

I'm actually optimistic about Watchmen. The thing that makes me feel that way is a statement Zack Snyder made in an interview, where he said that he was doing his best to convince the Movie Studio that Watchmen is 'more Strangelove than Fantastic Four.' To me, that just screams "oh my God, he gets it."

If they do it *at all* right, I will be extremely pleased.

Also, if it leads to the merchandising of any kind of implementation of Rorschach's mask, I will proceed to buy it, a trenchcoat, a hat, and some gloves, and wear that forever.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:41 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
kcr wrote:"Across the Universe"
It looks like it could be really good, or really crappy. Hopefully, it'll be really good.

Oo, good one! The first half of the preview made me think "Oh, whoopee, a 'growing up in turbulent times' movie", but the half of the preview... just... wow! One bone of contention... if you're gonna call it Accross the Universe, use the ORIGINAL SONG!!! (Or at the VERY least, the Fiona Apple version).

Oh man, I'm a huge fan of trailers and I thought that was honestly the best trailer I've ever seen ever.

I'm looking forward to:
-Harry Potter 5 and 6, and while we're at it, 7.
-Normal Adolescent Behavior. Because it was filmed at my high school and in my hometown, and because Amber Tamblyn is in it and I love love love her. But mostly the high school thing, because I think it's hilarious that my private school that's constantly doing everything it can to have a good reputation hosted this movie that's completely about teenage debauchery.
-Hairspray, which was my favorite Broadway show and John Travolta is crossdressing to play the mom and that's just PERFECTION. It's casted so beautifully.

I'm pretty sure that's all I even noticed that looked good. I still haven't seen Shrek 3 or Pirates 3 though. I'm woefully behind.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

The Tick

Postby The Tick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:44 pm UTC

Will see:

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Iron Man (down the road a bit)
The Battle of Red Cliff

Back when I read comics the Surfer and Iron Man were my favorites.

Try to see:

Transformers
Ocean's Thirteen
Live Free or Die Hard

Wife will drag me to:

Harry Potter
"I just had the strangest dream. I was taking some math test I hadn't studied for...and then you tried to saw off my head."
Honk if you love justice!

DurAlvar

Postby DurAlvar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

Black Sheep, NOW the thread is over.
They say hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the chance?

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

ooo! when is it out in australia, if you know?
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

Note to self, keep track of:

Black sheep
Goners
Iron Man
watchmen
The Golden Compass

in adition to:

Transformers
Ender's game
Stardust
Futurama

Also, they're making another Beowulf? sigh...
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

The Tick

Postby The Tick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

I don't think Ender's Game should count considering it just can't seem to get made.

Ender's Game is in turnaround, but we're in negotiations with another studio already and things look good.
"I just had the strangest dream. I was taking some math test I hadn't studied for...and then you tried to saw off my head."
Honk if you love justice!

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

The Simpsons Movie - July 27
Stardust - August 10
30 Days of Night - October 19
Fred Claus - November 9
Beowulf - November 21
I Am Legend - November 21
His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass - December 7

Beowulf movie coming November.
http://slashdot.org/~arbitraryaardvark/journal/171897
[ Edit | Delete | 0 Comments | #171897 ]
Tuesday May 15, @06:01PM
User Journal
The upcoming movie Beowulf features a cluster of talented cast and crew. Imdb.
Neil Gaiman screenplay, Robert Zemeckis directing a Warner Brothers/Paramount release, expected 11/2007, not yet rated.
Cast includes Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovitz, Randy Shelly, Ray Winstone as Beowulf, .
The movie uses a new motion capture process described as a blend of animation and live video first seen in Polar Express. about.com

(ooh, just had another article accepted at slashdot
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/05/1243226 )

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

hmmm, it might not suck as much as I originally thought...
anyone remember this one? or this one
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

Alcari wrote:anyone remember this one?

Forgive King Leonidas, he was still trying to make it big....

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

The site of that Beowulf movie frightens me. I thought it looked good, but:
1. Unferth is listed as the third character in the list, implying he is somewhat important. Are they using the actual Beowulf text or a crappy translation like the one I read in seventh grade?
2. ANGELINA JOLIE AS GRENDEL'S MOTHER? IS THIS A JOKE!?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:2. ANGELINA JOLIE AS GRENDEL'S MOTHER? IS THIS A JOKE!?

And Eugene Levy as the King!

DurAlvar

Postby DurAlvar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:42 pm UTC

German Sausage wrote:ooo! when is it out in australia, if you know?

Not actually sure, but I've seen shorts in the movies, so soon.
They say hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the chance?

T3m3r1ty

Postby T3m3r1ty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:13 am UTC

Narsil wrote:ENDER'S GAME
Thread over.

Don't get excited. It's been "in production" since December 2006 (see imdb and wikipedia <-- why doesn't that work? ) but there seems to be little progress and the earliest release date will be 2008.

Wikipedia wrote:The latest author-written screenplay was finished and submitted to Warner Brothers by Orson Scott Card in May 2003. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were later signed to write a new script, working closely with Wolfgang Petersen. However, as of December 15, 2005, all previous attempts to write a script had been dropped. Card himself has announced he will be writing a new script not based on any previous one, including his own.

As of December 28, 2006, a movie of Ender's Game has been categorized as "in production". It is being produced by Fresco Pictures in conjunction with Warner Brothers; the movie will be directed by Wolfgang Petersen, and is set to be released no earlier than 2008. No casting will be done until the script is finished. The final film's story line will be a fusion between Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, focusing on the important elements of both.

Even on Orson Scott Card's Official Website there is no news but I did love this quote from him:

Orson Scott Card wrote:So here's what I have to say about Serenity:

This is the kind of movie that I have always intended Ender's Game to be (though the plots are not at all similar).

And this is as good a movie as I always hoped Ender's Game would be.

And I'll tell you this right now: If Ender's Game can't be this kind of movie, and this good a movie, then I want it never to be made.

I'd rather just watch Serenity again.
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.
Book: Really.
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:35 am UTC

Did I mention The Spirit (based on Will Eisner's creation, being done by Frank Miller)
Also, the thing Joss Whedon is working on.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:11 am UTC

lanicita wrote:Oh man, I'm a huge fan of trailers and I thought that was honestly the best trailer I've ever seen ever.

Agreed on both counts. I love me a good trailer and Across the Universe was indeed one of the best ever.

That's also how it was with Garden State with me and several of my friends. The cool one with just images put to the song, not the tv one. I saw it for the first time in the theater (was it before Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?) and was sold instantly. It is indeed one of my favorite movies. (Haters can just step back lest I unleash my unholy powers. :)) I hope AtU is as good as it looks.

I'm also looking forward to Into the Wild because I'm pro doing crazy shit like that, if only in my dreams. Heard about the guy it's based on years ago and was like "Wow". (Seeing as it's based on actual events I don't thinking knowing what happens or how it ends ruins anything, that's not the point of the story.)

There's probably a bunch more, but I haven't been keeping up recently. :?
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:35 am UTC

I personally can't wait for The Invasion, as it looks very 28 days later~ish.
Also the remakes of Halloween and Sleuth look intriguing.
But the movie that I will be able to die happy after they finish it(it's in pre-pre-production right now) is World War Z.
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

ShadeWolf
Not to be confused with the well-lit variety

Postby ShadeWolf » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

DurAlvar wrote:
German Sausage wrote:ooo! when is it out in australia, if you know?

Not actually sure, but I've seen shorts in the movies, so soon.

Black sheep is getting released on 16 August 2007
The wolf that walks in the dark is no more.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

Stardust. Shamefully, the friend of mine that introduced me to the Gaiman-y goodness will be out of the country when it comes out, so no opening night shenanigans for Kawa. Unless someone from these here fora would like to come with me...?
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:47 am UTC

After watching the trailer for Stardust I'm kind of dreading it now. I'm not saying it will be a bad movie, but based on all the action sequences I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the book. Which isn't bad in itself but I'll be wary of it.

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:42 am UTC

I'm not gonna even get my hopes up for Stardust, there hasn't been a good adaptation of Gaiman's work yet.
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Bratz: The Movie

God help me, I'm going to be the only male under 30 and over 12 in the whole place, but I'm doing it. And It's going to be awesome

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”