Conception

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

Re: Inception

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:25 am UTC

Seriously. Their cover is brilliant - there's a TV show about it, so no one will believe it. (And in case anyone would, there's even an episode about an in-universe TV show about it, so their bases are pretty covered.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:So it's an unavoidable and reasonable trope I guess. But I don't think the military has made their own stargate yet in real life.

Or in screen life (the ancients totally made the stargate, the military just found it and plugged it in)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

RMgX

Postby RMgX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

It was a while ago that I saw the movie but some parts about it gave me a feeling of Solaris,
Spoiler:
Maybe that was just the common themes of ocean, wife suicide, reality vs. dream

One thing I do wonder though is.

Spoiler:
What was Mal's terrible secret? I got a feeling it had something to do with the kids, like the one or both of the kids being dead and the reason the couple went into dreamland for 50 years instead of being with their kids (who were of course not around to be with) was to escape from this reality. Another one would be that she couldn't have kids and their kids were just dreamworld projections. I do seem to recall Mal saying before she jumped that she was going back to their real kids, whether this was to get Cobb to follow, or this Mal was just a projection, or this is an indication that my speculation is completely off base (most likely) is hard to know. Of course kids being dead would support the dream ending theory. It would have been such a bitter ending also if they had played something like that out. Anyhow does anyone else have any indication or speculation of what Mal's terrible secret might be.

Otherwise I agree with Malice on the overall impressions of the movie.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:05 am UTC

An interesting new take on the film, and I would say so even if it weren't based on "Cob's Law", a theory of my own creation.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:02 am UTC

I got the soundtrack the other day. I've got to stop listening to it as I walk around campus. Those squirrels are up to something.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I got the soundtrack the other day. I've got to stop listening to it as I walk around campus. Those squirrels are up to something.

grid1.PNG
grid1.PNG (6.57 KiB) Viewed 2449 times

Made me think of that comic...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 am UTC

Had to be done.
Attachments
brrrrrrmmmm.png
brrrrrrmmmm.png (95.87 KiB) Viewed 2378 times

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:44 am UTC

I dreamed that I almost ran over a squirrel with my bike while dreaming about running over a squirrel.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

I've read MOST of the topic (ugh, hard scramble), but not whole, so I don't know if it has been said but I think there are 3 debatable interpretations:
Spoiler:
1. The obvious: it was all a dream (doesn't matter who's a projection and who's not - Cobb didn't get or didn't care it was not RL) (NOT a happy ending and a bit bad)
2. It was real, Cobb did his job, saved Saito, his wife is dead, but hey, here are his kids. (NOT a happy ending - his wife is dead and it's kind of his fault, oh, and it feels cheap)
3. It was a dream, but Cobb was a target of inception and that inception succeeded. The Idea for Cobb was: "It was my Idea that the world isn't real" - he said that only after almost everything got settled and even if he didn't look at the totem it doesn't mean he forgot - "the idea is the most resilient parasite" (or sth like that). Everyone met at the airport at the end of the movie looked happy. The idea was planted. Happy ending that is witty and best of all those.
I bet I'm repeating most of what have been said(*) but that's just how I felt after first time. I need to watch it again someday.

(*) - I kind of even know it must have been said since it falls under the "Cobb's Law" a bit :D

Burrr The Way, I agree that MOST IF NOT ALL of the technology and rules were just unsatisfyingly (is it there a word like this?) unreal and far-fetched. Here are some of my thoughts on the topic, hopefully new ones:
Spoiler:
I couldn't stand the gravity not being translated more than 1 layer deep and the inconsistency where the kick was supposed to be executed (at the end Ariadne throws the guy out of a balcony down (in limbo) but he goes back up, but all the other times you need a kick up above to get back).

Plus the exponential time dilation or whatever you call it - So I have those loads of unused parts of the brain, but how can I get more than 100% usage? I mean they say its like 10 or 20 times faster at each layer. Three layers down (+maybe limbo) and you get 1000 times faster, but then they say I only use 10% of my brain, so I can get to 100% but its 10 times only. And I doubt it would work that way anyway (I mean try adding more cpus (processing power) but not reducing cycle speed in cpu - you can do more things at the same time but one thing as fast you could previously - and most of the actions in our life are not separable enough to get 1000x boost out of parallelization). Therefore 50 years in few hours seems impossible.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:14 am UTC

You'd think condensing so much dream time into such a small amount of real time would melt somebody's brain. Literally.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

mutestorm wrote:You'd think condensing so much dream time into such a small amount of real time would melt somebody's brain. Literally.

Spoiler:
Er, maybe that's how Limbo goes about "turning your brain to scrambled eggs?"
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

Anyone post Inceptionauts yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWa1eiHPhKw

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”