Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
garren101
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 am UTC
Location: Alberta

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby garren101 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Sorry for its failure as a joke. Please ignore it. Here's some orange juice to help you cope with the inconvenience.

Apologies unnecessary. But for some related nightmare fuel, this.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Sorry for its failure as a joke. Please ignore it. Here's some orange juice to help you cope with the inconvenience.

Don't sweat it. :D

garren101 wrote:But for some related nightmare fuel, this.
I don't know if it's the reaction you're looking for, but that video reminded me how beautiful the show is. The violence, gore, character dismemberment and death. Deeply disturbing and psychologically tragic, but oh so beautiful and ironically uplifting. The show uses it's mind-powers to bypass the cognitive barrier and stimulates directly. Must have been the song...
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
garren101
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 am UTC
Location: Alberta

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby garren101 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:55 am UTC

legopelle wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:Sorry for its failure as a joke. Please ignore it. Here's some orange juice to help you cope with the inconvenience.

Don't sweat it. :D

garren101 wrote:But for some related nightmare fuel, this.
I don't know if it's the reaction you're looking for, but that video reminded me how beautiful the show is. The violence, gore, character dismemberment and death. Deeply disturbing and psychologically tragic, but oh so beautiful and ironically uplifting. The show uses it's mind-powers to bypass the cognitive barrier and stimulates directly. Must have been the song...

Guess it all just depends on what one takes away from the show, after all Evangelion is a whole experience unto itself. I myself find that video brilliant and keeping with the whole feel of the show of putting fairly grotesque, or disturbing images to a conventionally peaceful, and happy song. Particularly in episode 22 when Arael uses it's mind rape beam against Asuka while the Hallelujah chorus is playing.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 am UTC

garren101 wrote:
legopelle wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:Sorry for its failure as a joke. Please ignore it. Here's some orange juice to help you cope with the inconvenience.

Don't sweat it. :D

garren101 wrote:But for some related nightmare fuel, this.
I don't know if it's the reaction you're looking for, but that video reminded me how beautiful the show is. The violence, gore, character dismemberment and death. Deeply disturbing and psychologically tragic, but oh so beautiful and ironically uplifting. The show uses it's mind-powers to bypass the cognitive barrier and stimulates directly. Must have been the song...

Guess it all just depends on what one takes away from the show, after all Evangelion is a whole experience unto itself. I myself find that video brilliant and keeping with the whole feel of the show of putting fairly grotesque, or disturbing images to a conventionally peaceful, and happy song. Particularly in episode 22 when Arael uses it's mind rape beam against Asuka while the Hallelujah chorus is playing.

Yeah, the comments mentioned "Lyrical dissonance", which is exactly right. The extremes of the show is put in contrast to the song, making them very apparent.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
Herra Monologi
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am UTC
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Herra Monologi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 am UTC

I just finished Umineko no Naku Koro ni and it was one big "WTF" in a bad way. Almost all the time I was like :"This is totally absurd and stupid but still somehow captivating" but the end was so big anticlimax that I rage. Shame. Maybe I just should try to found Higurashi game somwhere.

Now I continue Cowboy Bebop and I'm quite sure that is coolest thing ever. Also I found óut that I have Kimagure orange road so I think I will watch that too soon.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

I didn't really find it absurd or stupid... and I thought the end was the perfect ending to the first season of a 07th Expansion anime :O

Maybe it's because I approach the series differently... it's not like it's supposed to be an action show or anything. It's a sort of mystery anime (lets not get into it... really). The climax of the first season should be, and is, a wham episode that raises the big questions for the 2nd season to answer.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Herra Monologi
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am UTC
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Herra Monologi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Well costumes, western names, Battler and violating of chess were too much for me. Umineko tried to combine elements for death note and for higurashi's second season but failed to meld them together. But Beatrice was kawai ^-^ and it got better in the end like ni Kai.

If mystery tries too much solve itself it won't be interesting, also logical conversations about murdes were boring, I didn't enjoy them at all.

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Herra Monologi wrote:Now I continue Cowboy Bebop and I'm quite sure that is coolest thing ever.
It is. I tell you, "piano bar II" is the coolest track ever.

Herra Monologi wrote:Well costumes, western names, Battler and violating of chess were too much for me.
Gelsamel only watches dubs, so he wouldn't know...
>_>
<_<
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:Gelsamel only watches dubs, so he wouldn't know...
>_>
<_<


Not sure if that is supposed to be a joke or something... 'cause there are multiple things wrong with that. :O.

Anyway it sounds like you just don't like Umineko's genre*, Herra. It's not really similar to Death Note at all... unless you think having an antagonist/protagonist makes them similar... in which case Death Note is similar to almost every story out there. It's similar to Higurashi except it has more focus on specific questions.

*More strictly speaking its kind of a How-dun-it (well, meta-how-dun-it), but, Ryukishi07 specifically calls it 'anti-fantasy anti-mystery' which he explains in an essay he wrote about the ideas behind Umineko/Higurashi which everyone should read if you watch Umineko/Higurashi.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
legopelle wrote:Gelsamel only watches dubs, so he wouldn't know...
>_>
<_<


Not sure if that is supposed to be a joke or something... 'cause there are multiple things wrong with that. :O.

Anyway it sounds like you just don't like Umineko's genre*, Herra. It's not really similar to Death Note at all... unless you think having an antagonist/protagonist makes them similar... in which case Death Note is similar to almost every story out there. It's similar to Higurashi except it has more focus on specific questions.

*More strictly speaking its kind of a How-dun-it (well, meta-how-dun-it), but, Ryukishi07 specifically calls it 'anti-fantasy anti-mystery' which he explains in an essay he wrote about the ideas behind Umineko/Higurashi which everyone should read if you watch Umineko/Higurashi.

No, no. I was just trying to be funny, sorry. I thought because you watch dubs, western names would not stand out the same way they do in a sub.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

I watch almost exclusively subs... and Umineko isn't dubbed afaik :o.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Maybe legopelle is confusing me with Gelsamel? I know I'm one of the few that mostly watches dubs. Though I guess you mentioned dubs on occasion? *ponders*

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Maybe legopelle is confusing me with Gelsamel? I know I'm one of the few that mostly watches dubs. Though I guess you mentioned dubs on occasion? *ponders*

What?
*reads a few pages back*
Well, this is awkward... :oops:

Hehe... sorry to both of you, my memory allocated to people isn't the most reliable.

Aaaanyway, back to topic. I started to watch School Days, because I heard it gets "interesting" down the road. (wait, did that sound naughty? Didn't mean that). But I've only watched 5 eps, so:

[Disclaimer]
IF ANYONE spoils crucial parts of the end, I'll hack the site, get your IP, break into your house, format your computer, install Win ME, disable all boot options except harddrive and lock BIOS, give you limited permission set, only allow IE 5.0, install Netnanny, and fuck up your day. :evil:
[/Disclaimer]

Spoiler:
I just think he is such an ass. Not just the two-timing, but how he treats her after he loses interest. She gives her all to the relationship, and he? Doesn't give a fuck. This is dangerously close to Rage territory. I understand how he feels, but I cannot condone treating anyone like he does, especially if they have gone to great lengths emotionally.

But plus for actually dealing with sex. That's pretty uncommon. A bit of fanservice though, but that I guess can be excused in context.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:14 am UTC

The original title
My schoolmates nagged me about Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. They said the anime sucks a lot, so I picked up the visual novel. I don't get what they are saying at all. The VN obviously uses a bunch of filters to make backgrounds look like a "painting". The story in the VN is more meaty, but the graphics are terribly sucky that I want to edit its graphics in Photoshop and replace their art.

I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:16 am UTC

The anime is perfectly fine though. And yeah the VN is huge in it's detail... they kinda sound like the type to complain about adaptions because they have to shorten them a bit or whatever. As far as anime go Umineko's adaption is perfectly fine imho.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Xeio » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:25 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here.
No such thing, we have anime, and segues* back into anime.

*I had to check how to spell segue. And chrome wasn't being helpful at all.

User avatar
garren101
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 am UTC
Location: Alberta

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby garren101 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:25 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

Haha, yay I'm watching Pani Poni Dash right now as well. It's so fantastic, It's pretty much the perfect meta anime!
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:08 am UTC

^ But being born in '95, 90% of the references are just incomprehensible to me. Only Cardcaptor Sakura and Sakura Wars references ring a bell.

Gelsamel wrote:The anime is perfectly fine though. And yeah the VN is huge in it's detail... they kinda sound like the type to complain about adaptions because they have to shorten them a bit or whatever. As far as anime go Umineko's adaption is perfectly fine imho.

I guess I could continue watching it then. But since my internet is crappy playing the VN seems to be a better choice.

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

garren101 wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

Haha, yay I'm watching Pani Poni Dash right now as well. It's so fantastic, It's pretty much the perfect meta anime!

It's hilarious random humour. Have you seen the episode where they are in the jungle yet?
Maho~
*smack*
Muho~

On School Days: It feels kinda weird doing the post-show lookup and finding out what it's based on...
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
garren101
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 am UTC
Location: Alberta

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby garren101 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:
garren101 wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

Haha, yay I'm watching Pani Poni Dash right now as well. It's so fantastic, It's pretty much the perfect meta anime!

It's hilarious random humour. Have you seen the episode where they are in the jungle yet?
Maho~
*smack*
Muho~

Hehehe, fantastic episode! Not as crazy as when Pani Poni gets attacked by the Banchou though.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:06 am UTC

garren101 wrote:
legopelle wrote:
garren101 wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

Haha, yay I'm watching Pani Poni Dash right now as well. It's so fantastic, It's pretty much the perfect meta anime!

It's hilarious random humour. Have you seen the episode where they are in the jungle yet?
Maho~
*smack*
Muho~

Hehehe, fantastic episode! Not as crazy as when Pani Poni gets attacked by the Banchou though.

I like how they walk around the entire episode witht the wrong rabbit. And when they find the cute eye-tentacle. And it speaks.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
garren101
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 am UTC
Location: Alberta

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby garren101 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:
garren101 wrote:
legopelle wrote:
garren101 wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

Haha, yay I'm watching Pani Poni Dash right now as well. It's so fantastic, It's pretty much the perfect meta anime!

It's hilarious random humour. Have you seen the episode where they are in the jungle yet?
Maho~
*smack*
Muho~

Hehehe, fantastic episode! Not as crazy as when Pani Poni gets attacked by the Banchou though.

I like how they walk around the entire episode witht the wrong rabbit. And when they find the cute eye-tentacle. And it speaks.

I love how the rabbits face doesn't change until the next episode.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

garren101 wrote:
legopelle wrote:
garren101 wrote:
legopelle wrote:
garren101 wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:I think I'm straying off topic here. Anyway, I'm watching PaniPoni Dash and Excel Saga simultaneously. My brain's already messed up.

Haha, yay I'm watching Pani Poni Dash right now as well. It's so fantastic, It's pretty much the perfect meta anime!

It's hilarious random humour. Have you seen the episode where they are in the jungle yet?
Maho~
*smack*
Muho~

Hehehe, fantastic episode! Not as crazy as when Pani Poni gets attacked by the Banchou though.

I like how they walk around the entire episode witht the wrong rabbit. And when they find the cute eye-tentacle. And it speaks.

I love how the rabbits face doesn't change until the next episode.

I can't stop screaming "Mmmmmmmmmmmm----MAHO!" everytime the Roulette Roulette opening song opens.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Anime powwow of Doom

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

Branching topic: Finally watched Eden of the East, now I have to find the movies. I kind of enjoyed the anime, but it left me with a lot of questions and the ending was really sudden. I'm guessing the movie will answer a lot of things.

Spoiler:
Most importantly, wont he die after using the rest of his money to be the King of japan? Or does being King make him win the game? Need to find the movies >.>

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Anime powwow of Doom

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Branching topic: Finally watched Eden of the East, now I have to find the movies. I kind of enjoyed the anime, but it left me with a lot of questions and the ending were really sudden. I'm guessing the movie will answer a lot of things.
Spoiler:
Most importantly, wont he die after using the rest of his ballsweat to be the King of Japa-Oh Shit, Godzilla!? Or does being King make him win the game? Need to find the movies >.>
Deja Vu.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Anime powwow of Doom

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Wow I didn't even see that since I didn't want it spoiled haha.

User avatar
Herra Monologi
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am UTC
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Herra Monologi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
legopelle wrote:Gelsamel only watches dubs, so he wouldn't know...
>_>
<_<


Anyway it sounds like you just don't like Umineko's genre*, Herra. It's not really similar to Death Note at all... unless you think having an antagonist/protagonist makes them similar... in which case Death Note is similar to almost every story out there. It's similar to Higurashi except it has more focus on specific questions.


My comparing Death Note and Umineko is based on that both series try to use logi to solve the mystery. Expect that Battler's cloud of thoughts was painful to watch.

*More strictly speaking its kind of a How-dun-it (well, meta-how-dun-it), but, Ryukishi07 specifically calls it 'anti-fantasy anti-mystery' which he explains in an essay he wrote about the ideas behind Umineko/Higurashi which everyone should read if you watch Umineko/Higurashi.


I loved first season of higurashi mostly 'cos mystery. Second one tried to solve it and wasn't so good but in the end it managed to make it ok. Umineko didn't have interesting mystery so it power should have been the characters. Sadly they didn't raise any feelings, expect Beatrice kawai ^-^

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Xeio » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Wow, strike witches, I should really do more research before I watch the first episode of an anime. Spectacularly terrible.

WHY DON'T THEY WEAR PANTS!

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

For the fanservices. It's taken to extremely levels and I find it funny, though I've only seen a few eps.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby legopelle » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Wow, strike witches, I should really do more research before I watch the first episode of an anime. Spectacularly terrible.

WHY DON'T THEY WEAR PANTS!

Aha! That show is hilarious. Basic case of if you didn't like it, it wasn't for you. I continued to watch it just of the level of bizarre.

But I must confess that some of the BGM was pretty good.

EDIT: Reminded me of not knowing the origins of School Days until after I watched it...
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 am UTC

I actually liked the whole dodging lasers in the first episode. The whole WATCH OUT THERE ARE PANTIES FLYING AT YOUR FACE was hilarious though. I can't remember why I stopped watching it after a while, eh, I don't think I missed much.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
SciJo
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SciJo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:10 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Wow, strike witches, I should really do more research before I watch the first episode of an anime. Spectacularly terrible.

WHY DON'T THEY WEAR PANTS!

Female pants haven't been invented yet. The people working on the Manhattan Project are busy developing them.

Those are some cold-hearted individuals

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 am UTC

Though I think the in-universe explanation is that they need to be able to equip their legs in an emergency at any point in time, or something? At the start they're in the old-style sports uniforms so I guess you don't get to see her in regular clothes before she becomes a pilot or something? I can't remember if you do.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
SciJo
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SciJo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 am UTC

Strike Witches aside (Lucchini was best), the new season is upon us. It's about time for:

An Incomplete Guide to the 2011 Spring Season of Television Series of the Animated Variety from Japan: part 1

Let's get started, in no particular order:

Dog Days: A simple anime for simple-minded individuals such as myself. Takes place in a fantasy universe where the people have animal ears and ride chocobos. Some random guy who likes to jump from high places gets summoned to the world to act as their hero and participate in an ESPN covered warzone. War has changed. I'll have to see another episode to form an opinion of it but it seemed kinda quirky so I might monitor it.

Nichijou (My Ordinary Life): It's a slice-of-life show about high school that's about as normal as seeing a man suplex a deer (which, considering the manga, is going to happen). It's random, bizarre, and quirky and I love every second of it. I'm a sucker for slice-of-life comedies so I'm definately watching this.

Tiger & Bunny: It's an half-hour long advertising with superheroes thrown in. The show is about superheroes that are sponsored by companies and compete against each other to rack up hero points in a popular televised event. It's actually a rather unique take on the whole superhero genre that manages to create some semblance of a believable world. Quite a surprise for me, hopefully the series can keep my interest.

Hanasaku Iroha: Story about a rather bland girl who's bored of her current situation. Her ditzy mother runs off with her boyfriend and sends her to live with her harpy Grandmother at her hot springs inn. Hilarity ensues. Jury's still out on this one. One thing's for sure, the Grandmother's a real battle-ax.

Steins;Gate: Following the Chaos;Head tradition of completely abusing punctuation, we have Steins;Gate. It's a show about time travel, but not in the fun way like Back to the Future. According to the synopsis, they can send text messages to the past because they voided their microwaves warranty. First episode was very much "what?" so we'll have to see where it goes from there.

Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai (Under the Innocent Sky): It's a show about something. According to the synopsis its a coming-of-age drama. First episode didn't really establish any sort of story yet, but the show has a very Durarara!! feel to it with a focus on a variety of different characters. Some of the characters seem somewhat interesting, will have to see where the show goes. Had some rather out of place fan service at the beginning, but that's to be expected from a show based on a visual novel.

Battle Girls: Time Paradox: It's about a slacker girl who's failing history class. She gets swept into the past and finds herself in the Sengoku Era and meets all the famous warlords of the time period, who are all now inexplicably female.

Yeah, not much to say about this one.

A-Channel: Another slice-of-life show about high school girls. There's a short girl who has sleeves too big for her size who's totally infatuated with her ditzy friend who can't be left unattended without her putting herself in mortal danger. Along for the ride we have a glasses wearing "straight man" and Mio from K-On! As much love as I have for slice-of-life comedies, I'm not entirely sold on this one yet.

Softenni: Another slice-of-life show about a group of middle school girls in a soft tennis club, whatever soft tennis is. One girl is a farmer's daughter with perverted delusions, one is an ace player with a large assortment of masks, one is obsessed with food and the other has no outstanding qualities to speak about. This one has some rather random fan service at the beginning which seemed to regulate itself into the perverted girls delusions. Regardless, it seems interesting enough to follow. And for the record, the ace player is the best character.

That's about it for now. Might update more as more shows come out.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:35 am UTC

SciJo wrote:Lucchini was best


Of course.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 am UTC

SciJo wrote:Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai (Under the Innocent Sky):

What the, how did that get translated to "under the innocent sky"?

I'm shocked there were a lot of WTF moments in the Umineko anime that doesn't appear in the original VN. Like Maria going suddenly crazy, it's very subtle in the VN.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 am UTC

Eden Of The East:

Spoiler:
Some back-of-the-beermat calculations tell me that 10 billion yen is just under 70 million pounds. A lot of money to be sure, but enough to declare yourself King of Japan? Come off it. Also, he'd already spent a couple of billion at that point, so in fact he had even less.


Summer Wars:

Spoiler:
AWESOME.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

Sket-Dan: Cliche message but it looks really fun. I like Onihime, she's beast.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS – Finder: Awesome, I love realist shows it's so easy to suspend disbelief and really get into them. A.B. is cute.

Last eps of Madoka coming up next week, SO EXCITED!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Eden Of The East:

Spoiler:
Some back-of-the-beermat calculations tell me that 10 billion yen is just under 70 million pounds. A lot of money to be sure, but enough to declare yourself King of Japan? Come off it. Also, he'd already spent a couple of billion at that point, so in fact he had even less.


I agree entirely, but I haven't watched the movie(s) yet to see if they explain that. The first movie is titled The King of Eden so I'm hoping they will. Regardless... the only way that even remotely makes sense is if
Spoiler:
somehow juiz bribed/assassinated every major political and military official and somehow kept it under the remaining budget.

User avatar
SciJo
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SciJo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Regardless... the only way that even remotely makes sense is if
Spoiler:
somehow juiz bribed/assassinated every major political and military official and somehow kept it under the remaining budget.

It's always cheaper to buy in bulk.

tastelikecoke wrote:
SciJo wrote:Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai (Under the Innocent Sky):

What the, how did that get translated to "under the innocent sky"?

I believe that's the subtitle given to it. The title literally translates to We Don't Have Wings.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests