Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

drego642

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby drego642 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Erm... skip that one.

There is plenty of awesome anime out this season that I'd have to recommend over your list actually (Attack on Titan, Gargantua on Virdulent Planet, and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU). But for nostalgia's sake, I guess those animes are good and all...

But so much good stuff if you have missed out on the last 3 years or so. Madoka, Fate/Zero, Angel Beats...

I started reading it a few years back when a girl I fancied showed it to me, so Nikki also has some nostalgic value, but it was a bit of a trudge at points, I admit. Still, the anime looked okay and I really like the first opening, but I haven't seen any of it yet. Out of curiosity, what were your thoughts on it?

Oh, that's right. Madoka also belongs in that list, thanks. Editing that in. I couldn't find anything on Gargantua on Virdulent Planet. What is it?
EDIT: Oh, I think I found it; is it Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet? This looks neat too, I'll see if I can find it.

Gurren Lagan is an absolute must-see if you haven't seen it yet.

I preferred Baccano! over Durarara!... although I haven't seen all of Durarara! yet. I just found it harder to get into for some reason. They're written by the same guy and directed by the same guy... I just found Baccano easier to get into.

Yeah, Baccano I've also heard good things about. Sounds cool, that's also going in.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

drego642 wrote:Oh, that's right. Madoka also belongs in that list, thanks. Editing that in. I couldn't find anything on Gargantua on Virdulent Planet. What is it?
EDIT: Oh, I think I found it; is it Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet? This looks neat too, I'll see if I can find it.

Bahhh, I'm bad at spelling. >_<. Anyway, Gargantia is the latest Gen Urobuchi anime. So if you like Fate/Zero or Madoka... his next thing is Gargantia.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Oreimo s2 episode 7-8 spoiler
Spoiler:
Watched them because a friend mentioned that he gets together with Kuroneko. I was kinda (positively) surprised because that gets in the way of the incest route (I don't expect it to fully emprace that rout, but actually putting him in another official relationship would be surprising.) I speculated whether they would cut that relationship short and was a bit worried after I saw that picture she drew, but I didn't expect that she already has breaking up in her to do list. *Sigh*

Mirai Niki is quite fun in my opinion. But it's probably not everybody's thing.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun May 26, 2013 5:08 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Mirai Niki is quite fun in my opinion. But it's probably not everybody's thing.

I watched it for the crazy Yuno :D

Gargantia's from Gen Urobuchi? Now I have another one in my watch list! But then I need to clear some things to give space... (I wish I can finish Nyaruko, Zetsuen no Tempest, and goddamn Gundam Wing >_>)

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun May 26, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I preferred Baccano! over Durarara!... although I haven't seen all of Durarara! yet. I just found it harder to get into for some reason. They're written by the same guy and directed by the same guy... I just found Baccano easier to get into.

And take place in the same universe. Both are great series, but I think everyone agrees that Baccano is much better. It's the difference between a great series, and one of the best series of all time.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun May 26, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Huh I had the impression that Durarara was more popular. But my impression is probably a bit biased.

Titan manga spoiler
Spoiler:
Now that I know who they are, that three do seem to stick together, also it's interesting in retrospect how they react to the titan killing titan. And it's good to see the beginning of the story because I kinda forgot who a few people were when they showed up again.

Btw they could have just grabbed them in that situation, there weren't enough people near them to stop it. Though I ddon't really know their goals, so maybe they didn't want to risk their cover.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Huh I had the impression that Durarara was more popular. But my impression is probably a bit biased.

You probably get that impression because it's newer. Talk to people who've seen both, I think you'll find that Baccano is much more popular.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Mirai Niki is quite fun in my opinion. But it's probably not everybody's thing.

There is a difference between "good" and "fun".

The best example of this in Mirai Niki was episode 9 right after Aru Akise's introduction...

Spoiler:
So... Akise does all this fun stuff where he predicts what Yukiteru's (First's) diary will do, and Yuno (Second) goes about it... but it ultimately doesn't really matter. He's pretty much just telling riddles that don't move the plot forward at all, but just demonstrate that Akise understands nuances of everyone's diaries. I mean sure... he's betting everyone's diaries in a guessing game... but that doesn't really help them out of the situation if Hinata just doesn't go along with the bet.

Fun... but the majority of that episode was frankly pointless in the great scheme of things.

Later examples are also fun, but I can't seem to make sense of them.
Spoiler:
Also Murmur vs Ninth deathmatch didn't make much sense either. Actually... not much of Ninth made sense at all... but Murmur (1) fight vs Ninth (2) in Universe 3... yeah... the show was just silly by this point. And that makes Yuki not necessarily the winner of the deathmatch either, because Ninth (2) was still alive. So... when Yuno (1) is ejected from the 3rd Universe, Yuki and Ninth (2) are still alive... so deathmatch isn't over yet. If we ignore Ninth(2) due to wtf random resurrection by Deus Ex Machina... then the whole series of episodes makes no sense either... because Yuno (2) has been dead the whole time, so really only Yuki (2) and Ninth (2) are alive by episode 23 or so... making Yuki the winner of Universe 2. So... where are Yuki's god-powers, and why does Ninth (2) get them instead? (Or at very least, why doesn't Yuki get the remaining 1/2 power from Deus (2) ??)

Obviously, Yuno (1) (aka Second from 1st Universe) has god-powers the whole time. Its a bit unclear when she decided to remember for herself (since she self-amnesia'd herself to make the game fair)... but by episode 20 or so when she uses dead Yuno (2)'s phone... she clearly has her full memories back by now. Why isn't she challenging Deus Ex directly at this point? I mean... Deus Ex is in 1/2 power and dying, Yuno (1) probably can just straight up win at that point...

Also, why does it take 10,000 years for Yuno (3) to come and meet Yuki (2) back in the broken universe 2 ?? Presumably, Yuno (3) remembers Yuki (2) saving her, which is why she universe-walks over to universe 2 to meet back with him. But why leave him waiting for so long, right?

Fun, but the anime doesn't make a lick of sense.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon May 27, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
PeteP wrote:Huh I had the impression that Durarara was more popular. But my impression is probably a bit biased.

You probably get that impression because it's newer. Talk to people who've seen both, I think you'll find that Baccano is much more popular.

Durarara's much popular, although that doesn't mean it's better than Baccano. It's mostly because Durarara has more bishies from the same century. Durarara's kind of dissapointing once you have seen how high Baccano reached.

I'm basing the popularity thing by the sheer amount of Durarara I've seen on deviantart compared to Baccano, and anywhere else on the internet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 27, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Shingeki No Kyojin:

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd really like to know how Eren is going to survive being eaten by a titan eotena. ... Or is he going to turn into a titan eotena himself...

Spoiler:
I... I was joking, and yet I somehow called it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon May 27, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Shingeki No Kyojin:

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd really like to know how Eren is going to survive being eaten by a titan eotena. ... Or is he going to turn into a titan eotena himself...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
now it turns into a standard shounen where Eren fights Titans whil everyone else watches from the sidelines or takes care of the small unimportant titans. (Or maybe not)

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon May 27, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Shingeki No Kyojin:

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
now it turns into a standard shounen where Eren fights Titans whil everyone else watches from the sidelines or takes care of the small unimportant titans. (Or maybe not)

I really hope not, though I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Take a look at all the subversions of shounen tropes so far and tell me whether you think that is likely.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Maou-sama
Spoiler:
I like the rival company tale/metaphor

I fairly like this season: Shingeki No Kyojin, Maou-sama , Hunter X hunter (the chimera arc had crappy drawings when I read it, nice to see it in anime form. And soon the main part of the arc will start.), gargantia isn't bad either.
Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san is hardly a masterwork, but I find it entertaining and while SNAFU isn't quite my thing I wouldn't call it bad either.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:53 am UTC

Psycho-Pass is a freaking great ride if you like elements with a Minority Report bend.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:28 am UTC

I absolutely loved Psycho-Pass. It just kept getting better too, every episode was better than the last right up to the end, and it started out pretty well I thought.

The only problem is that it ended, and with Person of Interest also done for the season, I've have no new episodic cyberpunk goodness to tide me until GiTS: Arise comes out.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Psycho Pass has been one of my favourite anime of this year. It's very Phillip K Dick. Watching Akane slowly get more and more badass as the series goes on is a joy to behold. As said, the only fly in the ointment is that it ends.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Psycho-Pass and Shinsekai Yuri were the two shows I watched last season, both were fantastic.

As said, the only fly in the ointment is that it ends.

No. A thousand times no. I object to this on a philosophical level. Plot-driven shows are best when they end in a timely manner (timely = the ending was entirely planned from the beginning). Otherwise the show will suffer from pacing that will get worse and worse the longer it runs. There is a reason I watch basically no western shows (neither live action nor animated). While it's always sad to know that there won't be any more episodes, a satisfying conclusion is much better than dragging it out and beating it til it's dead. A sequel is fine if each part is self contained.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:42 am UTC

While that is true, there are plenty of my favourite shows were I would eager to read a Slice of life continutation.
Though that isn't the case for Psycho pass, the show is good but I don't care that much about the characters. Though Akane was not bad.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

New episodes! I've never been much on watching series while it's ongoing, but Shingeki no Kyojin is so exciting that I need to get it now.

Also watching Ergo Proxy, and learned about a thing called color banding. Good thing VLC can slightly fix it, but dark scenes still look horrible.

Vash

Postby Vash » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

I am confused by this thread, and don't know if I am supposed to be replying to something.

However, I would just like to state that after watching OreImo, I think it is secretly one of the absolute best and most insightful animes. I think it has a sort of relevance, too. It's kind of like it's trying to rehabilitate siscon otakus. It's both ally and skirts the line above being above merely indulgent.

Also, I think Henneko is uh... a bit too lolicon, but I like how it's better as a sort of more classical anime (at least in my mind, probably only in my mind) than OreGairu. OreGairu is a modern show, and I like it. For a while I thought the characters were not balanced together well enough, but now I don't think so. Gargantia is definitely a great show. Also very classic anime, I would say.

Not a fan of Angel Beats!, Baccano, or Fate/Zero. Anyone want to have a rage fight about it? I couldn't watch more than the first 2 minutes of Baccano (it really seemed bad to me), was just really bored by Fate/Zero (watched the first full episode), and watched all of Angel Beats! (was not impressed in the least somehow. I also hate thinking about death that much).

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Baccano! starts slowly, and becomes interesting a few minutes after the introduction started. Like, more than two minutes from the start of episode one.

(I don't know OreImo, Henneko or OreGairu).
Last edited by Grop on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Yea, Baccano! barely even gets started 2 minutes in. Do you even get to any of the main-ish characters at that point?

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

Vash wrote:Not a fan of Angel Beats!, Baccano,

You are a terrible person.

Yea, Baccano! barely even gets started 2 minutes in. Do you even get to any of the main-ish characters at that point?

Let's find out. Spoiled because even knowing who is a main character is a spoiler.

Spoiler:
The first 10 seconds is Funimation's into, obviously that doesn't count. The next 1:30 is the op. Then is the introductory frame story until 5:16, when we get the first glimpse of a main character. The frame story finally ends at 11:53, and the real story begins.

So no.

BTW, I think the introduction is really great. Though it's perhaps one of those things you appreciate more in hindsight.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Just sounds like he isn't into dialogue. If that is the case then I recommend avoiding Zetsuen no Tempest.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Vash

Postby Vash » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am UTC

I just thought what they were saying was kind of full of hot air, which I am only stating because what I am thinking was brought up. I honestly have no interest in bashing Baccano or ruining anyone else's experience. I will now give Baccano a shot past the first two minutes, though. (Well, and again, because opinions change anyway).

Also, I was feeling kind of down yesterday, so I used a lot of lazy abbreviations:
1. OreImo is "Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai" or, in English, "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute."
2. OreGairu is "Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru." This title has two English versions that are regularly mentioned:
a. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (more official)
b. My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected (more accurate translation)
3. Henneko is "Hentai Ōji to Warawanai Neko," which has an official translation into English as "The 'Hentai' Prince and the Stony Cat." If it were fully translated, I think they would just replace "hentai" with "pervert."

I won't talk about Angel Beats for now, because I have to think more about it.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

I think everyone calls Oreimo, Oreimo. Light novel inspired anime titles are just to damn long. (Honestly who started naming them with a sentence?)

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Just sounds like he isn't into dialogue. If that is the case then I recommend avoiding Zetsuen no Tempest.

Or Spice and Wolf for that matter as well.

Angel Beat's 2nd episode brought me in. The first one was okay, and the quality of episodes greatly vary from episode to episode. It really is a tongue in cheek parody of anime... except it manages to innovate and surprise you at every turn. You know, it stays with the formula with standard-ish characters, and then twists it constantly. But I'm curious what the complaints would be about it... the point of the anime is to think about the afterlife really... and then make a ridiculous parody of anime.

Freaking hell, its impossible to share AMVs anymore :-(. My AMV has already been deleted.

Anyway, if you saw the AMV... its a very lighthearted take on death. Its a very uplifting anime, despite its occasional depressing parts.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Fate/Zero kinda might well need more than the first episode for someone to get into it. As much as it's a double-bill length episode, it's dialogue-heavy setting up the 'RPG' format of the story. I don't think it's until episode 4 that any of them actually start fighting regrettably. But once there you get the sense that there's 7 surprisingly well-developed teams who start with an equal motivation for the war. Opening bits may hinge a bit too much on /StayNight which I hadn't seen, had a mate talk me through the first few episodes when he introduced me to it.

And yes I do think you're a bad person for not finding anything out of Angel Beats Exclamation Mark.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Just sounds like he isn't into dialogue. If that is the case then I recommend avoiding Zetsuen no Tempest.

Spoiler:
The middle part really trips me up with the time travel setup :D sad there isn't much impact after that. The sister is still awesome though, she needed even more screentime.

Maybe your "omygod zetsuen is awesome" posts influenced me, but whatever.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Or Spice and Wolf for that matter as well.
But... how dare people have different taste than me! Spice and Wolf is objectively good!

Currently watching A Certain Magical Index and Shakugan No Shauna, though I'm finding the latter to be a bit bland.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
But... how dare people have different taste than me! Spice and Wolf is objectively good!

Currently watching A Certain Magical Index and Shakugan No Shauna, though I'm finding the latter to be a bit bland.

I got bored of Index after four or five episodes, but I really like Railgun, I'm watching the second season as it's airing.

As for Shana, it's decent, though I don't know if I would watch it today. It has it's good parts, and I do like the Shana character, but it also has a lot of generic shounen.

Vash

Postby Vash » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Angel Beat's 2nd episode brought me in. The first one was okay, and the quality of episodes greatly vary from episode to episode. It really is a tongue in cheek parody of anime... except it manages to innovate and surprise you at every turn. You know, it stays with the formula with standard-ish characters, and then twists it constantly. But I'm curious what the complaints would be about it... the point of the anime is to think about the afterlife really... and then make a ridiculous parody of anime.

This is the only thing I can come up with to explain how I feel: it's too "meta" in a way that is not natural enough. It loses sight of actual human appeal in terms of pure storytelling, jokes, etc. Jokes that are aware of something or parodying something are fine, but the format is really important. When I watched it I also had huge anxiety problems regarding death, so it was very uncomfortable. That's not so true anymore, though. Maybe one day I'll give it another go in case that colored my interpretation of it too heavily.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Xeio wrote:

Oh it is objectively good. But nothing happened. :wink: It was one of the best dialogue driven anime's I've ever seen.

Shana has a great opening. Maybe... the first 3 or 4 episodes or so. Then it becomes "monster of the week" in format, with a nonsense love triangle de aremasu. Oh shit, its happening to me again de arimasu. Seriously though, the best characters of that anime were Alastor the necklace, and the book Marchosias. I don't think I liked anyone else... including Shana. (who's level of awesome was directly related to how complete the love triangle was...)

Characters are "lawful stupid" or "chaotic stupid". IE: Why did you kill everyone ?!?! If "lawful", their response was a generic "To Protect Order". If "chaotic", their response was a generic "For the forces of Chaos!". And Shana's role becomes the generic "Lets try to do things that make sense" in comparison... but not really go too much in depth beyond that.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:55 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:

Spoiler:
The middle part really trips me up with the time travel setup :D sad there isn't much impact after that. The sister is still awesome though, she needed even more screentime.

Maybe your "omygod zetsuen is awesome" posts influenced me, but whatever.

Spoiler:
There are just those 3 or 4 episodes of 100% dialogue that have me in goosebumps the entire time. Who knew arguing over which way to save the world is the correct way would be so awesome? I want it in my video games now.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

AYC

Postby AYC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Reading the FMA manga right now, with plans to watch Brotherhood once I'm done (already seen the 2003 version).

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

I just finished Ergo Proxy. I'm about to say "I didn't understand at all" but I spoiled myself and found out.
Spoiler:
The Jeopardy episode puts down the whole thing in a tight packed meal, and the rest is just detective work (a lot of detective work, but it could have been fun). I felt like I was just too lazy to understand it :(
It's like how I read Umineko and ignored the possibility that the whole thing isn't just nonsense and more like a nonsense-coated puzzle.

Oh well, Evangelion's next.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Is it just me, or was the last episode of Shingeki No Kyojin ridiculously slow?
Spoiler:
The entire first half of the episode was just the main characters standing around talking about stuff. And this was meant to be taking place in the time it takes to reload a cannon.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

I haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but all decent anime slows down for dialogue / setup after major events. And there has been a _lot_ of action recently. So... dialogue-heavy scenes aren't that much of an issue to me.

I'm actually waiting for them to start explaining things, but I don't expect any "real" explanations to be done until...

Spoiler:
Eren / Mikasa / Armin reach their hometown, and Eren actually figures out what is in the basement of his house. Also, his father Dr. Jeager has some explaining to do (if he's still alive??). I'm wondering exactly when did he inject Eren with the Titan-transformation serum... where he got that material, etc. etc.

There are implications that the Colossus Titan is intelligent, and potentially the Armored Titan as well. I wonder if there are humans controlling those... or if they happen to be intelligent Titans (potentially the ones who built the walls for the Humans in the first place).

I'm willing to wait for it of course, the reveal was only an episode ago... but its definitely something that needs to be explained eventually if the show is to keep my interest.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

It was a pretty slow episode, in a bad way. Pacing is a thing, but having the character talk for 10 minutes of "suspense" in ~1 minute of real time is not the way to do it.

On the plus side, most of the characters acted reasonably in an extraordinary situation, which is much too rare in this type of anime. In other words, it averted Poor Communication Kills.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”