Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KnightExemplar

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

I actually found the first episode of Sailor Moon to be fun to watch. For the older-generation watchers, the Sailor Moon anime represents their introduction to anime as they were growing up. (For me, it was more DragonBall Z and Rounin Warriors. But Sailor Moon definitely makes a part of my childhood). Sailor Moon Crystal was exactly what I expect, although my memories of the events are skewed through time.

Spoiler:
I totally forgot that Sailor V was the first Sailor scout who independently got her powers from the white-cat. Usagi of course is the 2nd, getting her powers unlocked from Luna the black cat. I'm also surprised that her school-group isn't composed of the Sailor Scouts. I could have sworn that Blue-haired girl was a close friend. Maybe they start hanging out together after they get their powers? I totally forgot... and now I'm going to refuse to look at episode guides... otherwise I'd get spoiled.

I did go in expecting the worst cheese and braced myself through the episode. Sailor Moon Crystal is also being shown after many deconstructive shows (Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Madoka, and Pretty Cure)... and all of those newer shows use Sailor Moon as a baseline and then alter the formula in key ways. Sailor Moon Crystal is definitely cheesy however, but I'm not sure if thats a bad thing. IE: Usagi learns her transformation tagline: "Moon Prism Power Make Up" by simply having the cat tell her the words. Ditto with the Moon Tiara Boomerang. But yeah, the poses and everything are all a good throwback to the original... even if they 3d animated the crap out of the transformation sequence.

The bad parts of the original Sailor Moon were the repeat scenes and tons of random filler episodes. If Sailor Moon Crystal stays away from filler, it probably will be solid. (And with only 26 episodes planned... I hope they don't have room for filler). Also... I distinctly remember Usagi's original voice being a hell of a lot more annoying in the past... Usagi is certainly a cheerful character, but I remember her voice being more... abrasive. Like Excel (from Excel Saga) levels of annoying.

---------------------

As for Sword Art Online: are they doing a Kirito gender-swap in GGO? I can't find any black-haired dude with a cloak in any of the previews... but some girl is running around with black hair, a cloak, and a sword + pistol.

Sword Art Online costume:

Some person in Gun Gale Online: Image
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

Yes, Kirito apparently plays a female character in that arc. I don't really think anything could convince me to watch SAO after the performance their writers gave.

Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:
America got nuked
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Yes, Kirito apparently plays a female character in that arc. I don't really think anything could convince me to watch SAO after the performance their writers gave.

Fair enough. I don't expect much of it, but its just... super popular at the moment. I might as well give it a few episodes to see if the writers improved this season. I'll let you know if its worth watching.

I generally go to Otakon, so this time of year I put the emphasis on "popular shit" to ensure that I'm understanding what most other people are doing at the `con.

------------

I just looked it up. Sailor Moon's original seiyu (Kotono Mitsuishi) is indeed playing Sailor Moon again... with 20 years more experience behind her. She also played Excel from Excel Saga (oooohhhh... thats why their voice was so similar...), and Misato from Evangeleon. (wtf?)

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:15 pm UTC

SAO II actually looks promising so far, they've given the show a much better technical grounding, and Kirito and Asuna's relationship is back to where it should be. Plus the storyline looks really interesting

another show I'm going to keep track of is Bakumatsu Rock. It's set during the Tokugawa Dynasty, except there's electric guitars, and rock music, and male idol singers, and the first episode was really solid.
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:37 am UTC

Hearing about the plot from other people, it sounds like they somehow (I have no idea how) made it even worse than SAO. Friends of mine who somehow liked SAO (who aren't exactly aware of my utter disdain for it) told me to stay way from SAO2...

I'm guessing these are MAJOR spoilers for SAO2, but I don't know since I've not seen EP1.
Spoiler:
Apparently the main villian is called 'Death Gun' and is simply Sinon's school friend who sneaks into people's houses to inject plot death into them... yes seriously.

That's only infinitely worse than the already terrible explanations they had for SAO. Why won't they realise that trying to explain things in ways that raise more questions is simply a horrible way of writing anything. It's simply much better to leave it a mystery, take a hint from .hack// already. SAO's explanations were already worse than midichlorians but this is worse than both.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 am UTC

kiniget wrote:SAO II actually looks promising so far, they've given the show a much better technical grounding, and Kirito and Asuna's relationship is back to where it should be. Plus the storyline looks really interesting

I'll cautiously agree. First episode was fine. The plotline however is far closer to .Hack//SIGN. But... the 5-episode rule applies to both animes with bad openings... and good ones. I've seen my fair share of good anime introductions that go to crap (Gai-Rei Zero).

SAO was pretty bad though, despite being super popular. So I'm not going to be holding my breath for this anime.

Gelsamel wrote:Hearing about the plot from other people, it sounds like they somehow (I have no idea how) made it even worse than SAO. Friends of mine who somehow liked SAO (who aren't exactly aware of my utter disdain for it) told me to stay way from SAO2...

I think people who like SAO have different taste. You're either going to be in the "Log Horizon" camp or the "SAO" camp. SAO guys probably don't appreciate the 10+ minutes where the police agent is trying to convince Kirito to get into GGO. Me on the other hand... I'm pleasantly surprised that someone is actually convincing Kirito to go into the fray again (unlike the ALO arc, where the whole Asuna thing just... didn't make sense to me). Unlike most SAO starts, they started this one with... a fair amount of talking. Kirito talking (poorly) to Asuna, the police agent talking to Kirito, etc. etc. Kirito hasn't even entered any game yet as of episode 1.

The Asuna / Kirito interaction was the most natural yet, and they're taking their time going into GGO proper. Perhaps the writers figured out the pacing issues from the previous season and are finally slowing down. Or... maybe not. We'll see in the coming episodes.

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

If they follow the LN, SAO2/GGO should have a more coherent story than the SAO arc and not end up like a train wreck that the ALO arc became.

I also watched Aldnoah Zero. The graphics and music are exceptional. The whole story setting has a very Gundam feel to it. There are things that don't make sense to me yet, but perhaps they will be explained in coming episodes. IMO this looks promising if you like Mecha animes.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm UTC

that makes a lot of sense actually. I loved Log Horizon for it's focus on the world and the politics of their situation, so seeing SAO start to go the same way was really nice for me. I've also heard from people who actually read the books that this arc is a good one, perhaps even better than the original Aincrad arc.

Also: RE:_Hamatora just started up today, and it's looking like it's going to be just as good as the first season, if not better. they've added in the social and political repercussions of the events of season 1 and it's looking very good

oh yeah, I almost forgot: Has anyone else (besides Gelsamel) looked at Aldnoah.Zero? because it's awesome
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 pm UTC

kiniget wrote:oh yeah, I almost forgot: Has anyone else (besides Gelsamel) looked at Aldnoah.Zero? because it's awesome

Yes. The first episode, despite being super-predictable, was very good. We're probably going to pick it up in anime club for the remainder of the summer.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:42 am UTC

Negated wrote:I also watched Aldnoah Zero. The graphics and music are exceptional. The whole story setting has a very Gundam feel to it. There are things that don't make sense to me yet, but perhaps they will be explained in coming episodes. IMO this looks promising if you like Mecha animes.

Some info on Aldnoah Zero in case some people didn't pick it up from the episode:

Spoiler:
Humans find Hyper Gate on the moon. Use it to travel to Mars (afaik). Once they get to Mars the 'Vers Empire Appears' (not sure if this means that they are Earth seperatists or an actual alien empire which showed up just as Earth got to Mars). The Vers Empire says the ancient technology on Mars belongs to them and we have a war over it. We are losing the war and they push back to the moon where a lot of fighting happens.

Then, something causes the Hyper Gate to go haywire and explode, destroying half of the moon and showing the Earth in a bunch of debris (this is why the map of Earth looks so different). That was 15 years ago, the event called 'Heaven's Fall'.

It also appears as though the 37 Knights in orbit around the Earth are stranded there, to an extent, (I may be wrong on this count) due to the loss of the hyper gate.

After significant losses to both sides due to Heaven's Fall a ceasefire was agreed to on both sides. We started rebuilding and also trying to build a better relationship with the Vers Empire.

Things seem to be going okay and they send their Princess as a show of good will (This is why I think I might be wrong about them being able to return. Well, maybe they can go to Mars but not back to whereever they came from, not sure). But because she was killed in a terrorist attack they decide to break the ceasefire and invade Earth.

I'm guessing the attack on the Princess was a false flag attack.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:48 am UTC

Shoot, I knew something was missing in the new Sailor Moon... wtf is my toast? Maybe it was a thing invented just for the anime... but damn it, I want my running joke involving toast. </pun>

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:03 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Spoiler:
It also appears as though the 37 Knights in orbit around the Earth are stranded there, to an extent, (I may be wrong on this count) due to the loss of the hyper gate.

Spoiler:
My interpretation is that it's a sort of siege. They haven't been attacking, because of the ceasefire, but they are holding their strategic position and have been ready to attack as soon as the cease fire broke.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:59 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
My interpretation is that it's a sort of siege. They haven't been attacking, because of the ceasefire, but they are holding their strategic position and have been ready to attack as soon as the cease fire broke.

Spoiler:
Well I was reading another thing that was saying that the Knights in orbit are actually disobeying orders by staying there. But that seems sort of weird. Why would they disobey and why wouldn't this cause a huge issue in the relationships between Earth and Vers?

Guess we'll find out more later.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

I just discovered something about Nui's Seiyuu from Kill-la-Kill...

Image Image

Both played by Yukari Tamura. So... thats why she sounded so familiar. She also plays...

Steins Gate / Higurashi Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Suzuha Amane, the time traveler

Of course the time traveler has Rika's voice.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I just discovered something about Nui's Seiyuu from Kill-la-Kill...
<snip>

I've been playing the "What else has this person voiced" game far too much recently. Probably my favourite one is knowing that Penguin and Polar Bear from Shirokuma Cafe are Koyomi Araragi and Meme Oshino from Bakemonogatari. If I had mad art skills I would draw the latter pair doing a pun run.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:20 am UTC

Zankyou no Terror: Seems like it could be really amazing. Not 100% sure where it is going but it's from the director of Cowboy Bebop and has Yoko Kanno composing for it. The ED is awesome.
Spoiler:
Why would anyone be concerned about people shooting at a container with nuclear waste in it, though? It's not like it could explode or anything...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:46 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Hitsugi no Chaika
Spoiler:
This would be really great if not for the main character's speech impediment. It's very frustrating to listen to. Why is she talking like that? Is that what they think people who don't know much Japanese sound like? I'll still watch it because the plot, setting, characters and fights look pretty interesting.

Agreed. Chaika was a bit annoying because of the speech impediment, but otherwise was pretty good overall. Any show where my friends binge-watch in a single setting is pretty good in my books. I personally didn't like the main characters too much (they seemed generic), but the setting and plot were the strong points of this show.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:33 am UTC

Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:
Looks like our weapons are doing zero damage. I know, lets just keep doing what we're doing and expect the result to change. Not like that's the definition of insanity or anything.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:00 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:
Looks like our weapons are doing zero damage. I know, lets just keep doing what we're doing and expect the result to change. Not like that's the definition of insanity or anything.

Spoiler:
Not sure what this criticism is targeted towards.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:52 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yes, this is one of the most common cliches in mecha series, and even anime in general.

I am curious what twist is going to let them fight back. Secret prototype? Stolen enemy mech? This is usually a first episode thing, but they're taking their time in this series.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:
I am really not sure what criticism you guys are making there.

Are you talking about how the military group kept shooting the Aldnoah mech? I mean, first of all, they did try various stuff. They switched to grenades but they also didn't work. The Lt. "Old man" guy tried melee weapons and also tried a point blank shot to the cockpit (perhaps the cockpit was weak or perhaps the bullets were only ineffective due to range?). Furthermore, they have a duty to stop the Aldnoah mech, they can't just retreat. They need to secure the area and guard the evacuees. Even if they wanted to retreat they couldn't really. Furthermore the guys who were shooting/grenading were taking orders from a character they established as not being exactly qualified and trained in a system that Lt. "Old man" described as basically lying to them. This scene, to me, really made a lot of sense and I felt it was really well done. It was also great story telling that told us alot about who those characters were personality wise and how they felt about various things, like the combat they were in, the command heirarchy, etc. (More on the storytelling in Aldnoah later).

If you mean why does the main character propose getting the training mechs and fighting. Well, firstly, they (as a group) don't exactly know how ineffective weapons will be (though I think the MC probably has an idea). They only saw Yuki shoot at it a few times before she got totalled, for all they know Yuki's rounds just weren't enough to do damage, or maybe they hit the wrong spot so it would be presumptuous for the members of the group who didn't see much of the mech to assume they couldn't shoot it.

Still, I think the MC knows, but they're clearly setting the MC up to be a clear-headed/think things through type (hence the whole braking scene), so I'm sure he has a plan, or will think of one. Even I could think of one, though, so it's not like you have to be a genius to challenge this guy. Notice he doesn't fall through the ground? So the feet are obviously unprotected, and he may be vulnerable to attacks on both the underside of his feet and also his footing (what would he do if his footing came out from underneath him and he started to fall? He'd have to turn off the ability).

Also the MC can probably infer there is some restriction on the ability since the dude didn't follow them into the tunnel.

My prediction is either they get their hands on an Aldnoah type mech, or something comparible, or they somehow hold out through ingenuity (I kinda hope it's the latter but either is good).

Derek wrote:they're taking their time in this series.

You don't exactly seem to be criticising the series here, but I really think this is a good thing. Most mecha shows would go "It's the year 20X6 and war has broken out among faction X and faction Y. Both are fighting over the special power source that allows mechs to be viable" and just infodump you for a couple minutes before jumping right into the action. That is great for people who don't give a shit about good storytelling and just want some action but... it isn't really that great to just infodump your setting.

Rewatching Aldnoah Zero's first ep... I was in awe of how awesome the storytelling was. Seriously give it a rewatch, we get all the information about what is going on, who is who, who is doing what, etc. all through natural and visual storytelling. No infodumps, no awkward convos that are obviously just there to explain things to the viewer, no "I should know this but I don't so please explain it to me because I'm the proxy for the viewer" moments.

There are even a whole bunch of real subtle things, like... how the military has been presenting the conflict/training to the soldiers... how the new/young soldiers feel/think about the conflict as a result of that. The damage done to the Earth by the moon was shown through the brief viewing of the map of the Earth, and not commented on at all.

Even the character development is done without weird metacommentary etc. Like no one randomly muses to themselves "Inaho is emotionally weird" because certainly all his friends are used to him being a bit emotionally off by now, so why would they say that except to purposely inform the viewer of this fact they're all aware of? Well almost every fucking show ever does this kind of crap because they have lazy writers. Hell, half the time the character won't even be how the other characters describe them (Informed Attribute). In this show though, they just show you how weird he is.

Anyway I'm getting to ranting here, It's just so so good. It really gives me hope that this show will be truly great. That being said only the first three eps are written by Urobutchi so maybe it'll change after that. I really hope not.

I can understand not caring about establishing the setting and plot and so on. I can understand prefering the infodump and straight into action. But I think that just isn't what Aldnoah Zero is trying to do. I think everything they're trying to do, they're pulling of masterfully. If that isn't for some people, well then there are a plethora of other mecha (or anime in general) they can watch.

I may later on do a play-by-play of the first episode, pointing out all the great little storytelling things they managed to work in there.

Edit: Also note that at NO POINT does some idiot character point out "Oh me yarm HE IS DESTROYING/ABSORBING/DISINTEGRATING EVERYTHING HE TOUCHES" to explain it to the viewer as though they were fucking stupid. No, they just assume the viewer is going to pay attention, and they even explain what some of the other mechs powers are with just a few telling scenes. I mean seriously, the more and more I think about this the more I'm impressed by how good the storytelling is. No infodumps, all natural and visual explanations, no assuming the audience is an idiot... so good.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:
I am really not sure what criticism you guys are making there.

Are you talking about how the military group kept shooting the Aldnoah mech? I mean, first of all, they did try various stuff. They switched to grenades but they also didn't work. The Lt. "Old man" guy tried melee weapons and also tried a point blank shot to the cockpit (perhaps the cockpit was weak or perhaps the bullets were only ineffective due to range?). Furthermore, they have a duty to stop the Aldnoah mech, they can't just retreat. They need to secure the area and guard the evacuees. Even if they wanted to retreat they couldn't really. Furthermore the guys who were shooting/grenading were taking orders from a character they established as not being exactly qualified and trained in a system that Lt. "Old man" described as basically lying to them. This scene, to me, really made a lot of sense and I felt it was really well done. It was also great story telling that told us alot about who those characters were personality wise and how they felt about various things, like the combat they were in, the command heirarchy, etc. (More on the storytelling in Aldnoah later).

Spoiler:
As in most shows or movies of this type, they continued attacking and standing their ground long after it was clearly ineffective. They should have switched to running away and simply trying to distract him much, much sooner. There is really no excuse for being in melee range when your bullets are clearly not doing anything.

Derek wrote:they're taking their time in this series.

You don't exactly seem to be criticising the series here, but I really think this is a good thing. Most mecha shows would go "It's the year 20X6 and war has broken out among faction X and faction Y. Both are fighting over the special power source that allows mechs to be viable" and just infodump you for a couple minutes before jumping right into the action. That is great for people who don't give a shit about good storytelling and just want some action but... it isn't really that great to just infodump your setting.

Yeah this was definitely not meant as a criticism. The writing so far is superb and I'm expecting great things from this show.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The smart thing to do would be to retreat, analyse their recordings, and come up with some method to defeat the Martian mechs. This is usually the part in an anime where some super genius bishonen with glasses works his science magic and invents a special gun that kills Martians. And for reasons made of refined narrativium, it can only be wielded by the Ace Pilot.

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 pm UTC

Aldnoah.Zero:

Spoiler:
Repeating ineffective attacks look silly but that's what I expect soldiers facing overwhelming enemies would react. There is at most a minute of time between firing their rifles and getting blown up. Not exactly enough time for most people to analyze a completely unknown situation. They can only react with how they were trained, and running away at first sign of failure is unlikely part of the training program. Besides, their communication networks are quickly knocked out, making it hard for frontline soldiers to report the situation to commanders and for commanders to issue a response.

The MC is clearly the calm and intelligent type. But this one seems extreme. His expression just does not ever change. Spotting missiles flying, watching Aldnoah mechs from Mars destroying his town, losing a friend right before his eyes...None of those things made him move a facial muscle. It's as if he is emotionally disconnected. There has to be some traumatic event in his past.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

I'm continuing this in non-spoilers, because I don't think it's particularly spoilery since it's only episode 2 and it's such a widespread trope. And speaking of tropes, the name of this one is Attack! Attack! Attack!, or I Will Fight Some More Forever (honestly, I can't quite tell what the difference is).

Any well-trained and well-led military (not that these guys necessarily are) should realize when they are in a bad situation, and know that's it's better to fall back and regroup than foolishly stand their ground. Even when you consider their secondary goal, distracting the enemy long enough for the ferry to escape, they did a terrible job. Standing still and dying is not an effective distraction, a fighting retreat is.

Furthermore, undisciplined soldiers are likely to break and run too soon. It takes a special kind of soldier to be disciplined enough to stand his ground, but stupid/misled enough not to withdraw from an obviously bad situation. It's not unheard of (both the Germans and Soviets are notorious for giving "no retreat" orders at the Battle of Stalingrad), but it's a very unlikely scenario, yet it shows up time and time again in media, as if this is how most battles are fought.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

and once again you're expecting way too much out of soldiers who are just barely out of training. And again, as other people have said, they didn't have the time to fall back and regroup. and there's another thing too: they were protecting a civilian, retreat was very much not an option.
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:21 am UTC

kiniget wrote:and once again you're expecting way too much out of soldiers who are just barely out of training. And again, as other people have said, they didn't have the time to fall back and regroup. and there's another thing too: they were protecting a civilian, retreat was very much not an option.

Again, inexperienced soldiers tend to break and run, not stand their ground against impossible odds. So very, very much of military training is building up morale and discipline enough so that when the shots start flying the soldiers don't immediately turn tail and flee (which leads to a rout). Yet experienced soldiers also know enough not to fight in a hopeless situation when a tactical retreat is possible.

The combination of courage and naivete displayed is extraordinarily rare, but we see this trope time and time again. Additionally it serves no particular purpose, it's not dramatic or exciting and doesn't advance the plot, it's just an easy way to show how much more powerful the enemy is by killing off a few red shirts. There are much more effective ways to accomplish this.

I also mentioned why this completely fails as a way of protecting the civilians. The purpose of a distraction is not to die as soon as possible, it's to survive as long as possible while still being enough of a (perceived) threat to take the target's attention.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 pm UTC

Maybe it's a trope of the sdf or Japanese forces?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

No one has ever been so scared and or freaked out that they freeze up and don't know what to do.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:31 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:No one has ever been so scared and or freaked out that they freeze up and don't know what to do.

I think we all have, but it seems to happen a lot more often in anime. :wink: :wink:

Especially a particular character who must not run away...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

Bits of Zankyou no Terror keep weirding me out*... but despite that the show still seems really fucking awesome. Also dat ED is so unbelievably awesome.

Spoiler:
Specifically how their manipulation of the girl is like... extremely creepy and very reminiscent of psychological abuse stuff...

Edit: More ZnT spoils:
Spoiler:
The only thing that really shit me was the whole "Obvious riddle that everyone knows the answer to that almost everyone in-universe has serious problems solving", but my ire for that was slightly alleviated by the actual answer being different.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:No one has ever been so scared and or freaked out that they freeze up and don't know what to do.

I think we all have, but it seems to happen a lot more often in anime. :wink: :wink:

Especially a particular character who must not run away...

And a lot less in actual military personnel. Because, you know, training.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

Re: ZnT obvious riddle.

That didn't strike me as too poorly done, as the average Japanese may not know that much about Greek mythology; also the first guy who knew the story isn't portrayed as a genius.

(Also KnightExemplar's video is blocked in my country).

Can't watch Tokyo Ghouls; read the manga and this anime is too unremarkable for me to view a story that I already know again. Especially as it is quite tough (it is hard for me to stand horror, and somehow it is easier to me to read it than watch anime or films).

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

Aldnoah Zero:
Spoiler:
I'm glad this show went in the direction I wanted it to. No special mech yet, just pro strats.

Mahouka:
Spoiler:
Tatsuya is OP but I love it
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Barakamon is quite funny, and cute.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

I thought Chuunibyou demo Koi Ga Shitai! was going to be a washed out high school story like Hyouka, but hey, it was really good (cute). It's a great follow up after finishing JoJo. Too bad the next anime I'm bound to is Mahouka and Nanana.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:I thought Chuunibyou demo Koi Ga Shitai! was going to be a washed out high school story like Hyouka, but hey, it was really good (cute). It's a great follow up after finishing JoJo. Too bad the next anime I'm bound to is Mahouka and Nanana.

Based on the three or four episodes of Mahouka that I watched, it's terrible. I dropped that shit like it was hot. My friends have all agreed with me.

Nanana looked kind of cute after a couple episodes, it might be good. I don't know if I'll ever get around to watching it though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:40 am UTC

If you're looking for a well written plot or stories or main characters then Mahouka is not something you should be watching. But it's great (and I hear the LN is a lot better) if you're interested in formalised magic systems and all the magical hijinks that come with that. As a physicist it's really fun. Side characters are really good though, it's more like the side character's and their stories are good, and the MCs are just gods that intervene in the side character's stories to bring about a resolution in one direction or another.

While the show is constantly showing how badass the MC is it also heavily features the side characters and their abilities and struggles a lot. The whole second arc has the MC mostly just helping them by giving them good equipment, so the focus is really on those characters. Don't expect any "Oh no they might die" moments, you know from the start that the MC will always win and completely outclasses everyone. But the point is less the drama of life and death and more the fun you can have with interesting and unique magic systems.

That being said there are lots of "Oh no, they might not achieve their goals" moments, since being the best combatant ever doesn't necessarily help you achieve your goals.

If you really like formalized magic systems you'll like Mahouka (though apparently the anime adaption doesn't do anywhere near as much magic explanations as the LN).

As a physicist I love formalized magic science stuff so I'm having a blast with Mahouka, but I can absolutely recognise while most people wouldn't like it.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 am UTC

Derek wrote:Nanana looked kind of cute after a couple episodes, it might be good. I don't know if I'll ever get around to watching it though.

I enjoyed Nanana, but I warn you that it is more of a pilot season. There is a sense of a very long, overarching plot that simply is never addressed by the end of episode 13. I'd expect the show to be ~52 episodes based on its trajectory (although I have no idea how the light novels line up to the show).

If more Nanana comes up, I'm definitely going to continue watching it. But it is rather empty as it is right now. That said, its very enjoyable IMO and worth watching even without major plot events unfolding. Tensai is one of the best detective characters I've seen in a long time, and the supporting cast does a good job. Juugo himself is clearly deeper than what he appears at first... how deep is not explained or explored yet however.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:48 am UTC

Honestly, I already ranked Nanana and Mahouka onto Nyaruko-san-tier* based on their first episodes, but I don't really like leaving anime unfinished (except Bleach) so I'll probably finish them both after an infinite amount of time. In any case, do they have plans on doing a new season in Nanana? I heard that most anime adaptations, especially LN ones, get shafted even if it had lots of fans.

*synonym to shit-tier

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”