My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Shidoshi

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:53 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Does anyone care to give an (in universe) explanation of the cutie marks?

Most ponies seem to have a name, personality and cutie mark that all go together. Some more than others; "Pinkie Pie" isn't very descriptive, but her party balloons cutie mark fits her energetic personality, Twilight Sparkle has sparkles for her cutie mark, but neither seems to correlate much with her personality. In the background we see ponies whose cutie marks correlate with their jobs. Did they base their careers on their cutie marks, or did their personalities conform to their jobs and shape their cutie marks?
Cutie marks are clearly a sign of maturity, but are they genetic or congenital latent traits that develop later in life, or are they purely spiritual/magical indicators of conscious choices?
Do cutie marks ever change? Do any ponies get embarrassing or inappropriate cutie marks?
Apple Jack's whole family has apple themed names and cutie marks, meanwhile Pinky Pie's family has a rock farming theme. Are mismatched cutie marks a source of familial tension?
The main ponies all got their marks close together, and related to the same incident, is that typical?

I believe the TVtropes article about MLP:FiM had answers to most of those questions, from what I remember:
-A cutie mark represents something that the pony is BOTH very good at and loves doing: twilight is doing magic, pinkie is making people happy, rarity is bringing the hidden beauty in things, applejack is apple farming, fluttershy is caring for animals, rainbow dash is flying/going fast/WINNING (yeah RD is kinda awkward). So their "jobs" come naturally from what they are good at and love doing.

-There's no canon explanation towards what makes them appear other than "when a pony finds what makes them special, what they are really good at".

-Nothing canon about cutie marks changing or strange/awkward cutie marks, I'd say they'd never change because the system is kind of flawless. Once you find the thing that you are good at, love doing and makes you special you get your cutie mark. If it wasn't truly your special trait then it wouldn't have appeared. Awkward marks would appear for ponies with special abilities towards awkward things...

-Nothing canon towards family tension with different cutie marks, but Apple Bloom being good at carpentry or trying things not related to apples doesn't seem to bother Applejack.

-Finally "Every pony everywhere has a special magical connection with her friends, maybe even before she's met them.", it's the same [fanon] explanation given in TVtropes for why Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are seen together in the pilot episode even before they become friends.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:Equestria Daily pretty much confirmed that season 2 is coming around September 17.

I'm excited, are you excited? I've never been so excited, well except for the time I...

I'm excited, but also a bit apprehensive, since I'm worried that the show will get screwed up due to Lauren Faust not being there/them trying to appeal too much to the wrong audience/something drastic changing.

But then, I am a paranoid person.

Shidoshi

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:
Shidoshi wrote:Equestria Daily pretty much confirmed that season 2 is coming around September 17.

I'm excited, are you excited? I've never been so excited, well except for the time I...

I'm excited, but also a bit apprehensive, since I'm worried that the show will get screwed up due to Lauren Faust not being there/them trying to appeal too much to the wrong audience/something drastic changing.

Stop being paranoid, it's completely out of your powers to change it anyway.

We have a saying in Portuguese that goes like this "what can't be remedied, already is", basically hakuna matata for stuff you have no power over.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Deeply ingrained personality traits tied to mental issues are a bit harder to change than that, unfortunately.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:Stop being paranoid
That's like saying "stop being diabetic". Or "quit having cancer, that's no good!" Edit: I am not a doctor.

What has been leaked points to a pretty acceptable first chapter. I was skeptic; it seemed to me like they were re-using the plot of the pilot, but upon further inspection it looks like it's actually not like that. One of the animators said they thought it would air at the end of the first season.

cephalopod9 wrote:Most ponies seem to have a name, personality and cutie mark that all go together. Some more than others; "Pinkie Pie" isn't very descriptive, but her party balloons cutie mark fits her energetic personality, Twilight Sparkle has sparkles for her cutie mark, but neither seems to correlate much with her personality. In the background we see ponies whose cutie marks correlate with their jobs. Did they base their careers on their cutie marks, or did their personalities conform to their jobs and shape their cutie marks?
It's well explained in Cutie Mark Chronicles. Without getting too spoilery, they all had things happen, or made things happen, that are strongly related to the symbols.

Getting spoilery,
Spoiler:
Pinkie Pie made a party (which had balloons), Twilight Sparkle radiated magenta-colored magical energy sparks, Applejack returned to her apple family and farm, Fluttershy was saved by, and ended up communicating with, a group of butterflies (and all the other animals), Rainbow Dash made a Sonic Rainboom which involves flying very fast, and Rarity discovered gems to adorn her dresses.

cephalopod9 wrote:Cutie marks are clearly a sign of maturity, but are they genetic or congenital latent traits that develop later in life, or are they purely spiritual/magical indicators of conscious choices?
Do cutie marks ever change? Do any ponies get embarrassing or inappropriate cutie marks?
Apple Jack's whole family has apple themed names and cutie marks, meanwhile Pinky Pie's family has a rock farming theme. Are mismatched cutie marks a source of familial tension?
The main ponies all got their marks close together, and related to the same incident, is that typical?
-Most likely magical indicators, they're permanent (short of removing the skin, I guess) and spontaneous.
-They haven't shown ponies whose cutie marks changed, or embarrassing/inappropriate cutie marks (and I doubt there will ever be any).
-It hasn't been shown.
-It's possible but not shown.

See also the wiki.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Kaeetayel

Postby Kaeetayel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Looks like the video copyright claims are finally confirmed fakes, as they were done by someone called "Habsro".

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Weeks wrote:-They haven't shown ponies whose cutie marks changed, or embarrassing/inappropriate cutie marks (and I doubt there will ever be any).
I would ask about Snips and Snails, but I am sure there are at least three different, hotly-contested theories being bandied about thar.

And then I would be alarmed about my ability to form questions regarding Pony minutiae. aaaaahhhhh

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I am sure there are at least three different, hotly-contested theories being bandied about thar.
You gotta share.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Weeks wrote:What has been leaked points to a pretty acceptable first chapter. I was skeptic; it seemed to me like they were re-using the plot of the pilot, but upon further inspection it looks like it's actually not like that. One of the animators said they thought it would air at the end of the first season.

Well! Now we know which two episodes were finished alongside the first season ones. Remember when everyone was trying to figure out why Top Draw was only contracted for 24 episodes this year, and it was revealed that it was because two of them were already finished?

Shivahn wrote:I'm excited, but also a bit apprehensive, since I'm worried that the show will get screwed up due to Lauren Faust not being there/them trying to appeal too much to the wrong audience/something drastic changing.

First point: The writing in the second season was pretty much finished by the time Lauren announced her departure. If this caused any drop in quality, she would have known about it by then. She hasn't said anything suggesting such. Second point: Jayson personally responded to an email about that very thing saying he knows full well how that sort of pandering can ruin a series and is making sure that doesn't happen.

(My personal nutso theory is that Lauren dropped back to a consulting position because she's become a consultant on the entire franchise, including the toys. That is an industry she's been wanting to break into.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:(My personal nutso theory is that Lauren dropped back to a consulting position because she's become a consultant on the entire franchise, including the toys. That is an industry she's been wanting to break into.)

That doesn't sound very much like,
Lauren Faust wrote:Various circumstances with the production made it increasingly impossible for me to keep up the level of personal creative involvement and control that I had at the start of the series.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:08 am UTC

So ponies are strong believers in fate. So the pony with a box for a cutie mark is a mail-pony for life, and doesn't get to question the decision of a life dedicated to packaging.
And I guess the unfortunate pony with an evil or just dull mark is a lost cause then. Or do cutie marks only appear for good and notable things?

Are... ponies covered in fur/hair like real ponies are? Are the cutie marks on top of fur, a bald spot or a tattoo on similarly bald skin?

I'm also a little concerned with the possible species hierarchy; unicorns and pegasi both have highly visible unique abilities, and the 2 main earth ponies both have rural backgrounds. The wiki lists earth ponies' unique ability as a connection with nature, which seems odd since Fluttershy seems the most skilled at understanding an communicating with animals. Maybe Fluttershy, also shown to have been a weak flier, has earth pony heritage?

Shidoshi

Postby Shidoshi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:So ponies are strong believers in fate. So the pony with a box for a cutie mark is a mail-pony for life, and doesn't get to question the decision of a life dedicated to packaging.
And I guess the unfortunate pony with an evil or just dull mark is a lost cause then. Or do cutie marks only appear for good and notable things?

You are taking this the wrong way, the cutie mark doesn't determine what the pony will do. It's what the pony loves doing AND is good at that determines his cutie mark.

So it will always be something that pleases and makes that pony happy. If he's the mail pony it's because it's what he loves doing.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

I usually find the use of "he" as a gender neutral term awkward, but especially when in the context of a show where almost all of the cast are female :P
Ⓞⓞ◯

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:57 am UTC

Shidoshi wrote:If he's the mail pony it's because it's what he loves doing.
I wasn't contesting that the ponies are happy with their marks, but it does point towards strong convictions that each pony has one true calling, and that the core nature and personality of a pony do not change. The pony with a highly visible and immutable mark of proficiency with crates probably isn't going to get the same encouragement towards advanced mathematics as the next pony. Although, I suppose there's some leeway in the symbolic nature of the cutie marks, the mail pony could say that his crate is a geometric shape, and that's a sign of mathematical aptitude.

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

Ponies? Did you say ponies?? 0.0 Seriously, I love the show! I'm what you call a Brony. Favorite character is Fluttershy. ^.^
I am not about to do that thing you think I'm going to do. I'll do the opposite.

Most people on the internet are idiots. 50% of them are amusing. The other 50% are annoying.

This is not one of those amusing signatures. Sorry to disappoint.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

That post reminded me of that old cheesegrater.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:11 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:That post reminded me of that old cheesegrater.

My post?
I am not about to do that thing you think I'm going to do. I'll do the opposite.

Most people on the internet are idiots. 50% of them are amusing. The other 50% are annoying.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:20 am UTC

Yes. I'll PM you so as not to spoil it for other newbies.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 am UTC

xkcd forums - loving ponies before it was cool.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Got your PM and Pm'd back if that's ok.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:52 am UTC

Ideological Aerostat wrote:Got your PM and Pm'd back if that's ok.
THAT'S AGAINST THE RULES

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:53 am UTC

Think we're straying off the topic.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:03 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:12 am UTC

I refuse to believe that's Rarity.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:17 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:24 am UTC

Rarity?? She's too froo-froo. (sp)? Rainbow Dash probably.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Being "froo-froo" doesn't prevent you from being a dom.

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Then I have much too long. Still, she already has a successful business.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 am UTC

---

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 am UTC

Would kind of shock me. And the other characters.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:39 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 am UTC

I agree with you. No offense

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:So, I'm not a furry. At all. But uh...

Spoiler:

Yes please. :shock:

If it's not the pony-ness, it's probably the hat. Ever play TF2?

Spoiler:

Do want.

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 am UTC

I envy you 0.0

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 am UTC

---

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:53 am UTC

I really want to talk to Lauren Faust. Oh well. Off topic but I'm not a fan of Adventure Time.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:54 am UTC

---

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:56 am UTC

Good luck, You'll need it.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 am UTC

I am constantly being reminded of how incredibly prolific the artistic side of the Brony community is. I'm just gonna dump a few of my favorite songs that I've found recently.

A Waltz for Trixie

Big Mac 39s theme

Pinkie's Lie

Good stuff.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”