Best farce?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vash

Best farce?

Postby Vash » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

I tried to look for this thread before starting it. I found nothing. Anyway, what is your favorite farce?

Unlike most people, I enjoyed Superman III and IV massively. They have to be two of the funniest movies I have seen (though III a bit less so). The Spirit was also hilarious. In my opinion, these are masterpiece farces. I cannot see them as serious. These are pure campy comic goodness. They are just like the old ones. Whoever decided that the silly ideas in superhero comics could be taken seriously in the first place?.

Anyone else? I imagine most will have very different tastes than me. Come forward with them.

Yubtzock

Re: Best farce?

Postby Yubtzock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am UTC

I don't know whether you want to pick up a rather vigorous discussion or are just looking for something similar and interesting, because my sarcasm detector broke, when I got to the line about the Spirit (I liked this movie... kind of...), but in any case, there is a TV series for you: the Cape (@ IMDB). It's like Spirit, but a bit more campy and farce-y.

Vash

Postby Vash » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

You see, these are all terrible movies if you take them in the least seriously. They are masterpiece farces, however. It is a sort of mental skill to truly appreciate it. It is hard, in fact. That is why comedies are frequently panned by critics unless they are kind of serious. I used to be unable to enjoy them, but I learned.

The Spirit is low camp of the very best kind. Low camp is the best, imo.

Thank you.

KeyserSoze

Postby KeyserSoze » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

I'd vote for Scream, if you assume it's a farce of the genre, rather than a straight horror film.

I'm tempted to add the latest Hammer film, The Resident to the original list. They even pulled Christopher Lee into it (hopefully by offering an obscene amount of money). But if it's supposed to be just a horror film, it has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

To me farce means something like A Fish Called Wanda or the Ealing comidies from the 50's. A lot of Fraiser episodes went into farce as well. You seem to be going for the so bad it's good type of films, which isn't farce. But in that category, I'd have to say Army of Darkness is pretty good.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

KeyserSoze

Postby KeyserSoze » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Hmm. Good point.

What's the difference between a farce and a spoof?

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

What about something like Flash Gordon?

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

KeyserSoze wrote:Hmm. Good point.

What's the difference between a farce and a spoof?

Comedies are funny. (Some Like it Hot)
Satires are funny in service of making a point. (Catch-22)
Parodies make fun of specific works. (Spiderman 3*)
Spoofs make fun of entire genres. (Airplane!)
Screwball comedies are fast-paced and usually sexualized. (It Happened One Night)
Farces are like screwball comedies, only much broader and less subtle. (Clue)

*My own private theory. Subsitute, say, Spaceballs if you like.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”