The Hurt Locker

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

infernovia

The Hurt Locker

Postby infernovia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:43 am UTC

I thought it was a very solid movie even if it wasn't what I would consider consistent, at the very least it was a refreshing take on warfare. Now, the combat scenes might have been stupid at times, but I think this is to be expected out of any film without field expertise. But there were some extremely well-crafted scenes, and the ending especially hit me as realistic. That moment when he is in the store picking cereal boxes, that moment with the kid, that moment with his wife all felt very real.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this movie?

suweid

Re: The Hurt Locker

Postby suweid » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

infernovia wrote:I thought it was a very solid movie even if it wasn't what I would consider consistent, at the very least it was a refreshing take on warfare. Now, the combat scenes might have been stupid at times, but I think this is to be expected out of any film without field expertise. But there were some extremely well-crafted scenes, and the ending especially hit me as realistic. That moment when he is in the store picking cereal boxes, that moment with the kid, that moment with his wife all felt very real.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this movie?

Sure, I'll bite. I always thought this movie was very overrated. A big fuss was made when the movie came out that it was directed by a female, which alerts me to lack of anything else important in the movie itself to latch on to. Now it's been over a year since I saw it, but my take would be that "Hurt Locker" lacks a cohesive plot. As a viewer I'm not feeling that something is happening, I'm not expecting a resolution to a conflict, I'm not at the edge of my seat hoping the good guy™ gets away... I am definitely not feeling the bad guys either (The short description on IMDB - "everyone's a potential enemy" is as vague as US of A reasons for invading Iraq in the first place). The movie even tries to play at the whole "some muslims aren't bad guys"-cliché with the guy and the bomb and the sorry can't help yous.... And that's a touching scene, and I got a goosebumps at the end too... but a collection of touching scenes doesn't make a good movie.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

I really like it, I basically see is it as a great thriller which Kathryn Bigelow can do very well, and she delivers in spades here. Some of the scenes are nerve-shredding and it largely shys away from the politics of the US being in Iraq, which is sensible really. Plus Jeremy Renner is brilliant in it.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

markden111

Postby markden111 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:I really like it, I basically see is it as a great thriller which Kathryn Bigelow can do very well, and she delivers in spades here. Some of the scenes are nerve-shredding and it largely shys away from the politics of the US being in Iraq, which is sensible really. Plus Jeremy Renner is brilliant in it.

Yes, rally brilliant movie with brilliant Jeremy Renner.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”